Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

diapermeat posted:

I find I rarely hit people with Junkrat's ult anymore. As more people become aware of the sound/ult call out, it gets killed more often than not.
A lot of those big flashy ults mostly turn into area denial: everyone scatters behind cover when they hear NERF THIS but that means they've vacated an area of the map (say, the objective), which means it's still valuable. Likewise, even if you don't hit anyone with the tire, you're forcing the enemy team to scatter and/or turn to shoot it down, and if you can combo it with another ult (I got a PotG the other night by dropping one into a Reinhardt ult) you can still do damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

diapermeat posted:

I find I rarely hit people with Junkrat's ult anymore. As more people become aware of the sound/ult call out, it gets killed more often than not.

Make sure you practice Wall-stalling, best way to fake the enemy out since the tire gets quiet as well.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Ok, I get what you guys are saying about reaper, but consider this.

A direct grenade does 120 damage, a concussion mine does 120 damage, and a steel trap does 80 damage.

Junkrat can fire 3 rounds in 2 seconds (so 360 damage.)

Junkrat can kill Roadhog in less than 3 seconds. (4 direct hits)480+(concussion)120

Reaper shoots 20 pellets 2x per second at 7 damage a piece (so a little bit faster then junkrat by half a second,) If we assume every pellet hits, he does 140 damage. He needs 2.15 seconds to kill Roadhog.

600 / 140 = 4.285 (and some change) So he needs 4.285 shots to kill Roadhog
4.285 / 2shots per second = 2.14

Since you can't have a % per shot, you need 3 shots to kill roadhog, or 1.5 seconds.

Junkrat shoots 1.5 shots per second, and needs 2.5 seconds.

Junkrat can kill Roadhog as fast as reaper, with range, and if he dies, he can still get the kill with total mayhem, and his ult is harder to hit then the spinning reaper.

Why pick Reaper over Junkrat?

Junkrat can get anywhere Reaper can with teleportation, and isn't as predictable.

A decent reaper would get the first and possibly 2nd shot because he just flanked you.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

flashman posted:

What do the non Winston's do that is so scary to genji they might be a bit of a pain to kill but they aren't going to kill you.

Roadhog's hook is definitely a genji ruiner but bizarrely as long as he misses he's probably the easiest tank for genji to deal with cause he's so huge, so.

Zarya's beam being undeflectable is also definitely a detriment too

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
D.Va isn't a real tank but how the heck would she lose to a Genji? You'd have to be real bad at tracking to lose that matchup.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Broseph Brostar posted:

D.Va isn't a real tank but how the heck would she lose to a Genji? You'd have to be real bad at tracking to lose that matchup.

Hahaha wow D.va didn't even enter my considerations as a tank match up she's such a non-tank I hope that was the case with the other guy

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

She does no damage.. how exactly is she going to kill someone who just walks away? Tanks are not worth your time to kill but the claim was they poo poo on genji.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

genji should beat d.va in a fight tbh, it's easy for him to stay out of her effective range and he can outdamage her from there. he can deflect if she gets up close, and as for the tracking thing it's not like genji has to stay on the ground and run in a straight line. he has a double jump and a dash that help make him one of the hardest heroes to track. it's not really a fight d.va should commit to

it's also not really worth the effort to take on d.va for the genji since it takes so long and he has better things to do

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sorry I meant "hahaha genji would be able to wreck a d.va no problem, I didn't even bother to consider it" not that yeah she would never lose to him

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Neither would be able to kill each other if they're both smart, but D.Va should be the one scaring the Genji off and if he doesn't leave she should win.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Broseph Brostar posted:

Neither would be able to kill each other if they're both smart, but D.Va should be the one scaring the Genji off and if he doesn't leave she should win.

Stand more than 6 inches away and crack her rock candy faceplate with shurikens man

Literally nothing in the game should be scared of a d.va

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

d.va isn't ever gonna scare anyone away unless she's using her ult

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

D.Va is bad right now, but she's not a free kill for everybody.

Genji can reflect when she's close but its not going to make space between the two of them because she isn't forced to stand still and keep firing. The only way for him to get out of her range is to take damage while hopping away or use his dash, then she can boost after him and close the distance again.

Its dumb to theorycraft this fight cause its waste of time for both of them, but if the two met each other in an empty flank its the genji running away from her, not the other way around.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nobody except widow and hanzo have any right to run away from a d.va, and those two only if she gets the jump on them

and mercy I guess but that's not really the same thing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Broseph Brostar posted:

D.Va is bad right now, but she's not a free kill for everybody.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

https://watcher.gg/profile/pc/us/Maeski%231803;hero=122

DVA is cool and strong and tons of heroes are food for her

Except reaper who you can literally never kill without dumping your mech.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flashman posted:

Tanks are not worth your time to kill but the claim was they poo poo on genji.

It's hard to reflect a hammer to the skull or getting rammed into a wall. You cant exactly reflect bullets back at someone when there's a shield covering them either.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
dvas started to see a bit more competitive use actually - mostly as specific counters to torbjorn on numbani and for contesting high ground. I think LG also has run her for the first point on king's row and/or hollywood.

flashman posted:

She does no damage.. how exactly is she going to kill someone who just walks away? Tanks are not worth your time to kill but the claim was they poo poo on genji.

it was a hyperbole used to draw contrast to why he sees less overall play than reaper - reaper shreds tanks at a rate that genji can't match and tank shredding is a very important role for a team

Zoness fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 28, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
First two games of the week; Numbani and Hollywood

I wish there was a way to check how many times you've played a map. All I want is to play some KOTH and I keep getting sent to those two miserable cities.

Zoness posted:

dvas started to see a bit more competitive use actually - mostly as specific counters to torbjorn on numbani and for contesting high ground. I think LG also has run her for the first point on king's row and/or hollywood.

Was that in hero limit tournaments? Cause I'm pretty sure she only gets run in those as an off-brand Winston.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

First two games of the week; Numbani and Hollywood

I wish there was a way to check how many times you've played a map. All I want is to play some KOTH and I keep getting sent to those two miserable cities.

Was that in hero limit tournaments? Cause I'm pretty sure she only gets run in those as an off-brand Winston.

that's a good point I don't remember if they already had a winston in those comps, but I don't think they always did

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Every time I saw D.Va in the past JoshOG tournament it's where a team would run double Winston to contest high ground. So they ran D.VA with Winston instead even though she really doesn't do the same role because no one else has the mobility in one hero limit.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I'm really scared of D.VA actually, she's really a good opponent when you're low on health, your healer and team is dead, all your skills are on cooldown, and you forget how to press M1, she always gets me when that happens.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zoness posted:

it was a hyperbole used to draw contrast to why he sees less overall play than reaper - reaper shreds tanks at a rate that genji can't match and tank shredding is a very important role for a team

Yeah, coming full circle what I meant for my point to be originally is while genji can compete with tanks when he needs to, reaper is simply better (and/or easier) at busting tanks by design.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Diva is actually really good on ps4 which is the natural habitat of the game so

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Eh, Genji's kinda neutral with D.Va in my opinion. The shurikens are pretty low damage and are reduced by armor, and even with D.Va's big critbox, it would take a while for them to kill her, and a Genji has better things to do than that. D.Va has boosters to chase and bump a Genji. Reflect is not going to do much on D.Va because at any range where it would do decent damage, it's also close enough for D.Va to see and instantly release the triggers. It's more likely that a Genji would ignore a D.Va in favor of hunting down more easy prey.

I've actually had a bit of success recently with strategic timing of D.Va's self destruct on specific maps, either KotH which has an open point or parking it on top of the payload so the payload can't be used as cover. Use it just as the last few seconds tick over to force the enemy off the point and deny them the chance to go to overtime. She still needs a buff to be called a tank, though.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Just need to make her do a rad slide forward when she starts firing after boosting

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

redweird posted:

Just need to make her do a rad slide forward when she starts firing after boosting

Dude that would be insanely sick. Like if the mech body twisted with the guns still pointing forward and firing

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Just slap some missles onto her

Timber Wolf D.Va

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Just let me use my boosters, shield, and guns all at once. And get rid of all crits on the mech. D.va fixed. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's a good hero to pick when the enemy is running two or more Reapers?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I'd probably run a Torb or a Pharah. Torb will cover areas and his gun is pretty good up close and Pharah can just murder Reaper pretty much whenevs.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Stacking is bad and should be disabled, god bless.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Outside of a handful of heroes that need buffs, I'd say balance is tight enough now that a given hero's potential is situational. Some heroes are more reliable in a variety of situations, but that doesn't ensure their dominance. S76 may be more reliable than the ult-feeding Roadhog, but that didn't mean much to the poor S76 I kept clowning with a hook the other day.

White room comparisons are useful but things like map layout, team comp, player skill, etc. make it hard to make blanket statements regarding the "correct" hero picks.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Pharah is the hardest counter that comes to mind and a soldier whose focus is on repelling flanks can do reasonably.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Verranicus posted:

Stacking is bad and should be disabled, god bless.

Teams "stacking" are much weaker than teams that aren't. Adapt.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

Teams "stacking" are much weaker than teams that aren't. Adapt.

i'm p sure that's just his posting gimmick and is not worth responding to

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Lassiz couldn't deal with the 5 Soldier 1 lucio team NOR the 4 soldier 2 hog lineups. he's pretty bad.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Here's a fun new ability they could give D.Va to buff her while at the same time encouraging the way she seems to be intended:

Targeting Computer: At close-range, a cursor will appear over the closest enemy to you (similar to Mercy's heal-beam cursor). Hold alt-fire to lock onto the enemy. For a few seconds, so long as you stay in close range, your guns will track the enemy with deadly precision no matter how they swerve and juke. Enemies can get out of this by moving far enough away from you, and certain Hero abilities can also break out immediately (Tracer's warps, Reaper's Shadowstep/Teleport, and things of that nature). Once lock-on has been broken, there's a ten-second cooldown before you can use it again.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Internet Kraken posted:

McCree. Bait out his wraith, flashbang then finish him off with headshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zoness posted:

i'm p sure that's just his posting gimmick and is not worth responding to

He's been making sincere posts lately, and given the brevity of that one, I figured it was one of them

I'm surprised at all the consternation about stacking, really. I was initially put off by it but after actually playing with it I don't mind it one bit. It makes for the occasional fun round and it lets you put together some interesting team compositions. We were playing against double Mercy earlier this evening and had to make sure we had the right composition that could handle back-to-back resurrections.