Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Just did my early vote. Candidate order, not my voting order:

code:
1	QUINN, John Lawrence	        Democratic Labour Party (DLP)
2	TODD, David	                Family First
3	HEGEDUS, Stephen	        Australian Labor Party
4	PRENTICE, Jane	                Liberal National Party of Queensland
5	BAYLEY, Sandra	                The Greens
6	GRYPHON, S	                Liberal Democrats
Labor candidate is a knockoff Jon Hamm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Greens are Soviet-style communists, Libs/Labs are both dickheads, Nats are ok because...

Yeah I've never found out why Nats are ok.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Tommofork posted:

Because they're country member.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

screaden posted:

High five!

When I moved here three months ago I was told "You gotta vote the Nationals now because that's how it's done up here!". I don't think they even know why they vote Nats now

Better propose to your cousin too in that case.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

hooman posted:

Isn't that a given?

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Narrator posted:

code:

It's going to be so satisfying when Jane Prentice loses her seat and Ryan FINALLY becomes a marginal.

The only time I've ever seen Prentice in the electorate in the five years I've lived here is when she turns up to my LNP donor boss' office.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hey Cartoon

GOT HIM YES

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Tommofork posted:

The Greens are Soviet-style communists, Libs/Labs are both dickheads, Nats are ok because...

They also fall in the category of "those big shots in suits from the city have no idea how the country operates."

hooman posted:

No joke, I found out this weekend that a friend I had in primary school had parents who were first cousins. Which I didn't even think was legal but here we are.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

The Narrator posted:

code:

Sup Ryan buddy.

E: buddies

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

screaden posted:

I don't think they even know why they vote Nats now

Nats != Green. Be suspicious of casually arranged duck scales anyway, pretty sure they burn Greens out there.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
A good day.

Now for the collateral damage :unsmigghh:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.liberal.org.au/latest-news/2016/06/28/coalitions-plan-better-management-social-welfare-system
Better management of Australia’s social services will support continued record investment in social welfare and other assistance.

We are committed to supporting those who are most at risk in our in our community and we have delivered on significant commitments to strengthen Australia’s social welfare system.

We are rolling out the National Disability Insurance Scheme across Australia on time and on budget and ensuring that it is fully funded.

We are implementing a $100 million Women’s Safety Package to protect women and children at high risk of experiencing domestic and family violence.

The Coalition is also providing almost $40 billion over the next four years to help Australian families with the cost of child care and early learning, targeting low income working families.

Australia currently spends around $160 billion a year on social services and welfare, which represent more than 80 per cent of all the personal income tax collected in Australia.

At any one time, there is around $3.5 billion of debt to the Commonwealth due to fraud, non-compliance or misreporting in the welfare system.

Welfare spending is currently projected to increase to over $190 billion by 2019-20 and to over $270 billion by 2025-26.

Through the smarter use of technology, we can better manage our social welfare system to ensure that every dollar goes to those who need it most.

Our existing integrity measures are successfully identifying and recovering fraud and overpayments, and we will build on these.

A re-elected Coalition Government will:
  • enhance the integrity and compliance of social welfare payments through improved employment income and non-employment income data matching;
  • improve engagement with welfare recipients to better ensure they meet their obligations before problems arise;
  • ensure welfare recipients accurately disclose assets and investments; and
  • improve the capability for the identification and recovery of debt owed to taxpayers.
The vast majority of Australian welfare recipients do the right thing.

Some welfare recipients make genuine mistakes in the information they supply to the government, which can result in reduced or cancelled payments.

Better management will make it simpler and less time consuming for welfare recipients to meet their obligations.

These reforms will cut red tape and ensure that mistakes are minimised so that recipients who are doing the right thing are not adversely affected or inconvenienced.

These measures will also better target fraud in our social welfare system. We will better manage the welfare system to ensure we prevent, detect and deter fraud and non-compliance.

No one who genuinely needs social welfare support and who is honestly disclosing their employment income and non-employment income will be worse-off under our commitment.

Together these better management reforms will improve the Budget by $2 billion.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

So thats 2 Billion $ out of the 2.3$ billion worth of savings?

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Speaking of mistakes I accidentally said to Centrelink I stopped studying in 2013 and now I can't change it and need to get down to see them before they decide I owe them 30 grand

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Now watch NSW move heaven and earth to stop ICAC ever doing anything like this again.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Snod. posted:

Speaking of mistakes I accidentally said to Centrelink I stopped studying in 2013 and now I can't change it and need to get down to see them before they decide I owe them 30 grand

too late I already told a current affair

Today at pre-polling we had a woman playing a ukulele and singing. Armidale pre-poll is the place to be.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Pretty sure ICAC already had it's budget cut.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Scylo posted:

Today at pre-polling we had a woman playing a ukulele and singing. Armidale pre-poll is the place to be.

I already get calls from Andrew 'not a racist' Bolt I don't need more added to the mix :getout:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://newmatilda.com/2016/06/28/helen-razer-is-wrong-why-leftists-should-vote-for-the-greens/

Some light reading explaining why Helen Razor is wrong. Again.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Scylo posted:

I drove past there today. Lots of yellow shirts visible, but I missed the ukulele player - I must improve my aim :-)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I'm volunteering for the Greens at the polling booth on Saturday. Has anyone got any tips for me, as I've never done this before? It's not actually my own electorate, they're just short on members out that way. It's a pretty low income area with a lot of crime, or at least it was the last time I used to work out that way.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

bee posted:

I'm volunteering for the Greens at the polling booth on Saturday. Has anyone got any tips for me, as I've never done this before? It's not actually my own electorate, they're just short on members out that way. It's a pretty low income area with a lot of crime, or at least it was the last time I used to work out that way.

Always be super-friendly, especially to volunteers for other parties and even to hostile people. If people confront you, want you to answer complex or detailed questions, or try to lock you down in long conversation, politely excuse yourself and remind them that you're a volunteer, and you're here to do a job.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bee posted:

Most people will try to avoid you. Have a short line you can say in a couple of seconds ready so you can say it as you hand someone a card. I used "Vote greens in the senate" a hell of a lot.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
michael danby is serving up some big lols

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...4b0f4303810a590

quote:

How's this for a final pitch?

Back to the Coalition and costings, just so we are clear: the final pitch from the government is welfare recipients (and pensioners, even though we don’t mention that explicitly in our documents) will pay (if they don’t come up well after a data matching exercise) for the election goodies we’ve rolled out over the past seven and a half weeks.

I could say grannies for dunny blocks but that might be rude.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
so I havent been following the election too hard but I have a friend who I might be able to convince to vote alp, but hes complaining that they dont have any policy other than "turnbull sucks". apart from the gay marriage vote, what are they actually doing. telling my friend the lnp are gutting medicare to fund tax breaks and stuff isnt enough

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Tommofork posted:

The Greens are Soviet-style communists

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ZealousQ posted:

It's going to be so satisfying when Jane Prentice loses her seat and Ryan FINALLY becomes a marginal.

The only time I've ever seen Prentice in the electorate in the five years I've lived here is when she turns up to my LNP donor boss' office.

What up Ryan friendo

Actually I voted early and am now living it up in Berlin

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

so I havent been following the election too hard but I have a friend who I might be able to convince to vote alp, but hes complaining that they dont have any policy other than "turnbull sucks". apart from the gay marriage vote, what are they actually doing. telling my friend the lnp are gutting medicare to fund tax breaks and stuff isnt enough

do they own a house?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

ZealousQ posted:

Is this forecast? Ryan seems like it's been a safe liberal seat for yonks, though the student population probably helps balance out the LNP-leaning-baby-boomer-landlord voters.

Also heya Ryaners

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lmao if only I could migrate to Germany right now, it's pretty great and stuff

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Look at all this Gap Trash.

I grew up in the Gap so it figures so many goons would be born near me.

Brisgoon Jesus.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is death really that certain? :ohdear:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

nockturne posted:

Is death really that certain? :ohdear:

Yup. Hail Satan.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Really the ALP only has a shot if

a. Polls underpredicted their primary vote
b. NXT gains subtract massively from LNP holds
c. Some sort of last minute Queensland surge.

Could happen :shrug:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Judith Sloan and Stephen Koukaulas are basically talking down to youth on the Drum for "not engaging enough" and other torrents of BS because things are great, guys.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Snow in Queensland :toot:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Oh btw, don't accidentally put the potentially benign-sounding "Health Australia Party" anywhere near the top of your ballot paper, since they're actually human garbage fires.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Australia_Party

quote:

The Sydney Morning Herald has reported that the Health Australia Party is against Water fluoridation in Australia, and its manifesto "reveals a preoccupation with homeopathy, home birth and conspiracy theories about medical research", and the party supports chiropractic treatment of infants with colic.[8] The party describes this as support for informed consent for immunisation.[9] Health Australia Party's National Party President Professor Kerry Bone stated in an article titled "Why is there a need for the Health Australia Party?" that "True freedom of choice in health care, facilitated by a supportive and empathetic government and informed by balanced media representation, is what we seek."[10]

Royal Australian College of General Practitioners deputy chair Dr Sue Page has criticised the policies of the Health Australia Party. Professor John Dwyer, from the Australian Health Reform Alliance[7] ("a coalition of peak health groups working towards a better health system for Australia’s future"[11]) stated that he was "concerned" that the Australia Health Party could be elected based on its polling position in NSW, stating: "Even allowing that they're well-intentioned, the policies that they're putting forward are dangerous and frankly ignorant."[7]

quote:

The #1 Victorian Candidate Dr Isaac Golden stated in his article titled 'Corruption in the Pharmaceutical Sector: Why the Health Australia Party is needed' that "the Health Australia Party was created in 2015 largely in an attempt to expose and counter the damaging effects of this insidious influence on Australian healthcare systems.[14] and "to respond to the well funded, sustained and coordinated attacks on natural medicine in Australia which have placed our homeopathic profession at risk, as well as all natural therapists".[15]

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

Snow in Queensland :toot:

where's your global warming now leftards? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If Turnball wins, expect Reichsführer ScoMo within 3 years. Who will stop marriage equality.

• Locked thread