Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's "didn't have Nintendo, we just poured salt on snails"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So there's an album of 100+ images going around of people tweeting about experiences with racism after the Brexit vote. While disgusting in its own right, places like Imgur are busy trying to frantically go "BUT WAIT NO ALL BRITAINS"

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-referendum-racism_uk_576fe161e4b08d2c56396075
http://imgur.com/gallery/Tj9NR

quote:

Well all the events described in these tweets must have happened. After all, people on twitter never lie for political gain.

quote:

It's a very few isolated cases. Calm the gently caress down, the sky isn't falling Chicken Little.

quote:

Oh course we'll just take their word for it, right?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I was propositioned by a number of people to the point I felt really uncomfortable being asked to even come inside. Not even only people at their doors, I got some really gross stuff yelled at me by people on their porches as I walked past. Decided I'd never work for a census again. The neighbourhoods around here are trash.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Remind me who exactly got completely burned by Obama?

Who's actually way worse off now?

And bathrooms and the gays are not a valid response to illustrate that it's straight Christians.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Beastie posted:

Remind me who exactly got completely burned by Obama?

Who's actually way worse off now?

And bathrooms and the gays are not a valid response to illustrate that it's straight Christians.

Perception is stronger than reality. A bunch of people are convinced that the dirty mooslim O'bummer hosed them personally in the rear end while screaming Alluah Snackbar, so that's that. No amount of logic is going to convince them otherwise.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Practical Demon posted:

It's almost like the writer is commenting on real world issues rather than being absolutely literal with Marvel's convoluted and dumbass history that includes a villain that uses paste as a weapon.

But it's still wrong. "There're no female superheroes" is false, whether you're talking inside the Marvel universe or in ours.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byzantine posted:

But it's still wrong. "There're no female superheroes" is false, whether you're talking inside the Marvel universe or in ours.
I think you have to try to miss the point this hard.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Batman's Shameful PYF.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mak0rz posted:

On this episode of poo poo that Didn't Happen...

100% not the flag I was expecting.

If I had to rank my expectations:
(1) Stars and Bars
(2) Stars and Stripes
(4) Nazi Swastika
(5) KKK Flag
(6) SS Thunderbolts
(probably around 100) Canadian Flag

taerfu
Oct 7, 2013
I'd throw the England up on that list. You always get a few "You never see the flag out on St. Georges day." Like it's Immigrants fault that they don't go outside.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Otisburg posted:

100% not the flag I was expecting.

If I had to rank my expectations:
(1) Stars and Bars
(2) Stars and Stripes
(4) Nazi Swastika
(5) KKK Flag
(6) SS Thunderbolts
(probably around 100) Canadian Flag

Canadians are pretty much just as racist as everyone else. Don't know how we somehow get away with it more than other countries.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

genetic_knockout posted:

Canadians are pretty much just as racist as everyone else. Don't know how we somehow get away with it more than other countries.

Your broad national stereotype is "Infallibly polite and accommodating." You do a good job keeping it under wraps, unlike the other anglophone countries that can't stop overtly hollering about the Pakis or the BLM Thugs or the Boat People or whatever.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Blind Pineapple posted:

This would be better as an LoB post, but I can't be sure it'll reach him.

Meh, too much to make fun of them for. Nvm.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Picnic Princess posted:

I was propositioned by a number of people to the point I felt really uncomfortable being asked to even come inside. Not even only people at their doors, I got some really gross stuff yelled at me by people on their porches as I walked past. Decided I'd never work for a census again. The neighbourhoods around here are trash.

Sorry you had to deal with that :(

I feel uncomfortable enough as it is going to some households around here as a six and a half foot guy. I can only imagine how bad it was for you. I hope my colleagues aren't going through the same right now, though that's probably wishful thinking :smith:

genetic_knockout posted:

I've unfriended a good many of my backwater Newfie highschool acquaintances because they wouldn't shut the hell up about refugees and immigrants (read: brown people) coming and taking are jobs and services. None of them seem to say anything about the swaths of English and Scottish people that live in the country.

My girlfriend's mom is Ukrainian and she was relentlessly bullied by her peers and even her teachers growing up. She's white, but she ate weird food and spoke a weird language which was unwhite enough as far as rural BC was concerned.

Hell, a Muslim woman got assaulted in an Ontario grocery store just the other day. Canadians are hella racist.

Also: Anyone who thinks Canada isn't racist should probably take a few minutes to read about how we treat First Nations people, both presently and throughout history. It's pretty ugly.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 03:37 on Jun 28, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Nope, sorry, you'll always be Eh-ing and apologetic while craving maple syrup, aside from those of you who are proscribed by the Academie Francaise for their linguistic heresy.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Mak0rz posted:

Sorry you had to deal with that :(

I feel uncomfortable enough as it is going to some households around here as a six and a half foot guy. I can only imagine how bad it was for you. I hope my colleagues aren't going through the same right now, though that's probably wishful thinking :smith:

I've unfriended a good many of my backwater Newfie highschool acquaintances because they wouldn't shut the hell up about refugees and immigrants (read: brown people) coming and taking are jobs and services. None of them seem to say anything about the swaths of English and Scottish people that live in the country.

My girlfriend's mom is Ukrainian and she was relentlessly bullied by her peers and even her teachers growing up. She's white, but she ate weird food and spoke a weird language which was unwhite enough as far as rural BC was concerned.

Hell, a Muslim woman got assaulted in an Ontario grocery store just the other day. Canadians are hella racist.

Also: Anyone who thinks Canada isn't racist should probably take a few minutes to read about how we treat First Nations people, both presently and throughout history. It's pretty ugly.

Yeah. I was going to say something along the lines of go ask an indigenous person how polite and accommodating we are.

My grandparents are shockingly racist and xenophobic, with the twist that they themselves are actual immigrants. It makes me so unbelievably angry to hear them rant about how immigrants are ruining the country etc . etc. Of course, in their mind they're "good" immigrants (read: they are white). Not like those Muslims!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Otisburg posted:

Your broad national stereotype is "Infallibly polite and accommodating." You do a good job keeping it under wraps, unlike the other anglophone countries that can't stop overtly hollering about the Pakis or the BLM Thugs or the Boat People or whatever.

wtf are boat people?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

genetic_knockout posted:

My grandparents are shockingly racist and xenophobic, with the twist that they themselves are actual immigrants. It makes me so unbelievably angry to hear them rant about how immigrants are ruining the country etc . etc. Of course, in their mind they're "good" immigrants (read: they are white). Not like those Muslims!

The thing I posted that started this discussion? Shared by the daughter of Middle Eastern immigrants :allears:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

genetic_knockout posted:

Yeah. I was going to say something along the lines of go ask an indigenous person how polite and accommodating we are.

My mother is like that, we came to America from Canada of all places and she's bizarrely racist and more than once has loudly stated in a public restaurant after seeing the news "If they're so unhappy here, why don't they go back to where they came from" in reference to black people. Not even like, immigrants or anything. Just black people talking about racism. Literally saying they should all go on boats back to Africa. Then she gets super defensive when people call her out on it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

snergle posted:

wtf are boat people?

It's slang for Asians/Middle Easterners who attempt to enter Australia in really shittily made boats because they're desperate to get the hell out of their homes.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

snergle posted:

wtf are boat people?

Australian term for their major immigrant demographic, mostly from Indonesia / other islands thereabouts.

efb. Worth noting that Aus has been literally putting them in camps so they might win the racist white anglophone awards this year.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A Man With A Plan posted:

Australian term for their major immigrant demographic, mostly from Indonesia / other islands thereabouts.

quote:

The number of people arriving by boat in Australia is very small. In 2010-11, Australia received 11,491 asylum applications. Less than half of these (5,175) were from asylum seekers who arrived by boat. Over the same period, 2,696 Protection Visas were granted to refugees who arrived by boat. This is just 1.3 per cent of the 213,409 people who migrated to Australia during the year.

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/getfacts/seekingsafety/asylum/boat-arrivals/

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

My bad, had never looked at the numbers. I think it's fair to say 'major' in terms of attention/outcry over them though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

snergle posted:

wtf are boat people?

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

swampland has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Jun 28, 2016

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Gibraltar decided to honor prince Charles, I see.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Regalingualius posted:

It's slang for Asians/Middle Easterners who attempt to enter Australia in really shittily made boats because they're desperate to get the hell out of their homes.
I was wondering, because it's also an (AFAIK pretty neutral) term for one of the waves of refugees that left Vietnam, though white people who know anything at all about anything Vietnamese beyond "a war happened" are super rare.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

snergle posted:

wtf are boat people?
No good filthy Achaeans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

genetic_knockout posted:

Well for one you don't literally put immigrants in concentration camps, aggressively disenfranchise minority voters or have some sort of infallible thousand year history of being a white people country. Canada has a bunch of accommodating integration policies, like having signage and pamphlets in 7+ languages in any public building that an immigrant might use. No matter how token those are, they're miles ahead of any other country I've visited.

Old people are racist everywhere, and there's plenty of racists of all stripes in Canada, but you're still way ahead of other countries.

Mak0rz posted:

Except for that. First Nations people are universally treated like garbage, and Canada is no exception on that front.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

A Man With A Plan posted:

efb. Worth noting that Aus has been literally putting them in camps so they might win the racist white anglophone awards this year.

We have been and it's loving shameful.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Blind Pineapple posted:

This would be better as an LoB post, but I can't be sure it'll reach him.

quote:

Well, don't worry youngsters, the Grey-Haired Brigade is here, and in 2016 we are going to take back our nation. We may drive a little slower than you would like, but we get where we're going, and in 2016 we're going to the polls by the millions.

This land does not belong to the man in the White House nor to the likes of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Eric Holder or Loretta Lynch. It belongs to "We the People," and "We the People" plan to reclaim our land and our freedom. We hope this time you will do a better job of preserving it and passing it along to our grandchildren. So the next time you have the chance to say the Pledge of Allegiance, stand up, put your hand over your heart, honor our country, and thank God for the old geezers of the "Gray-Haired Brigade."
"Reclaim our land and our freedom", like the Grey-Haired Brigade in England just did :smith:

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
My mom always taught me that everyone is equal and that I should be respectful of other cultures. She was always super progressive, in every sense of the word. I grew up around kids of every color and culture and sexual orientation.

Then she turned 65 and it was like she became a completely different person. Suddenly she started posting racist stuff on Facebook and sending me emails about how I should be careful around Muslims and stuff like that. I legitimately don't understand what happened to her but the older she gets the more racist she becomes. Last week she sent me an email asking if there were a lot of Muslim immigrants in my neighborhood because "she worried for my safety". Oh, and she's whining endlessly about "entitled people" and "welfare queens" now too.

I don't even know what to do about it, it's embarrassing and infuriating and I've tried to talk to her but she won't listen to me. How does that even happen? She used to be awesome. :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Perhaps a hamster posted:

"Reclaim our land and our freedom", like the Grey-Haired Brigade in England just did :smith:

It's harsh as Hell to say outright, but things aren't going to get better until enough baby boomers die.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Otisburg posted:

It's harsh as Hell to say outright, but things aren't going to get better until enough baby boomers die.

Hopefully they take the millennials with them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FAROOQ posted:

Hopefully they take the millennials with them.

And goons shall inherit the earth, just as god intended.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

FAROOQ posted:

Hopefully they take the entire world with them.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Otisburg posted:

Another generation's idiots are just going to take over. Think of all the IoSM in this thread. They're not going to get less racist and bigoted as they get older. :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus an awful lot of now old racist boomers used to be hippies, and openly awaited their depression-era parents dying for the same reason.

Basically don't trust anyone over 30.

E: poo poo

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
A lot of them were already racist in more "benign" ways, treating hippie goals as a white man's burden, etc. Everything crashed down at the Altamont with that 60s event where the Hell's Angels were bodyguards in part because a lot of hippies realized the actions they were taught to expect out of people of color were a lot closer to home than they thought. What they become today is only the logical conclusion.

Electric Lady has a new favorite as of 13:56 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Vanellope posted:

My mom always taught me that everyone is equal and that I should be respectful of other cultures. She was always super progressive, in every sense of the word. I grew up around kids of every color and culture and sexual orientation.

Then she turned 65 and it was like she became a completely different person. Suddenly she started posting racist stuff on Facebook and sending me emails about how I should be careful around Muslims and stuff like that. I legitimately don't understand what happened to her but the older she gets the more racist she becomes. Last week she sent me an email asking if there were a lot of Muslim immigrants in my neighborhood because "she worried for my safety". Oh, and she's whining endlessly about "entitled people" and "welfare queens" now too.

I don't even know what to do about it, it's embarrassing and infuriating and I've tried to talk to her but she won't listen to me. How does that even happen? She used to be awesome. :(

Has she been to the doctor lately? A major personality change like that can be a symptom of something bad.