Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

sassassin posted:

Holland couldn't. Austria couldn't. Portugal couldn't.

Iceland are good and this "worst England result of all time" talk is pretty insulting.

Nobody is saying that. Theyre saying it's the worst England performance.

Thick oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Phwoar Rooney ran that midfield again last night, I'm sure glad Hodgson is as smart all the retards on this forum who thought he performed well against Russia, might as well just take a bunch of cross country runners next time, this dumbass country will see it as an improvement.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pissflaps posted:

Thick oval office.

People have been saying that, Pissflaps. Lineker and co. said it repeatedly last night.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Thick oval office.

Dont. Sign. Your. Posts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not sure what's a worse idea, him getting the job or his recommendation of Gareth Southgate and Glenn Hoddle. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36648824

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

dex_sda posted:

Seriously why didn't he take drinkwater

Because he'd rather take two midfielders from a team that finished 8th

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

sassassin posted:

People have been saying that, Pissflaps. Lineker and co. said it repeatedly last night.

They said the words but they implied what Pissflaps said

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Mastermind.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I don't think you can blame hendo or lallana for last night mate

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
https://twitter.com/garylineker/status/747532693001371650

Which is ironic seeing how Iceland won against a nation with more volcanoes than good football players.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
limey bastards deserve nothing less

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
England lost to Iceland.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Rooney was loving dogshit get hosed ninpo

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seriously the collective delusion that Rooney was good at any point in this tournament was loving weird.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Should have brought Albrighton, Simpson and Drinkwater, another actual winger and played 4-4-2 with Vardy and Sturridge up top. Which is more of a plan than what we had, expecting if you crowbarred enough name value into the starting XI other teams would just roll over.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Bape Culture posted:

Rooney was loving dogshit get hosed ninpo

agreed

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Its coming home

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Its coming home

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
The second goal was the most Joe Hart goal ever, get right on top of it and then just fart it into the back of the net like a complete rear end. The fact that people still somehow convince themselves he's not total trash is a mystery to me.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
im still literally melting down irl ffs

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
big marcus rashford is going to buckle under the weight of carrying this limp-dicked team going forward and it will be a tragedy

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

sassassin posted:

Iceland are good and this "worst England result of all time" talk is pretty insulting.

Really? Which English loss was worse than this? Your team of Premier League millionaires and the world's highest paid manager couldn't get it done against a nation the size of Enfield with a manager/dentist. This is like losing a game of checkers against a bowl of diarrhea.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Iceland's Premier League millionaire is better than all of England's. There's no shame in losing to that.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
I don't think the actual result is the main concern, Iceland have done well against other teams as good as (and better than) England. What loving grates is the manner of the defeat, we looked a complete shambles with absolutely no desire, cohesion, ability or inventiveness. I don't know what the gently caress happened to Danny Rose for example. Every time he got the ball on the left side he would just stop, stand still, look around a bit, then pass the ball back to one of the centre backs.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
More like Danny Dropped

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corpuscollossus posted:

Really? Which English loss was worse than this? Your team of Premier League millionaires and the world's highest paid manager couldn't get it done against a nation the size of Enfield with a manager/dentist. This is like losing a game of checkers against a bowl of diarrhea.

Iceland is actually pretty good

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
there's just TOO MUCH talent in england to be nursed into fruition. in iceland they probably get personal sessions every day since they were born. now england have players like "alli". you couldnt make it up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mans posted:

Iceland is actually pretty good

we are poo poo but iceland have scored in 28 or their past 30 internationals so they're definitely better than us

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

peanut- posted:

I was trying to think if I'd ever seen a more depressing game than that one, then immediately thought of at least 4 other England matches from the last 10 years. Why are we so unendingly loving poo poo?

You guys are the Bengals of international sport. Sorry I'm the one to tell you this.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Eifert Posting posted:

You guys are the Bengals of international sport. Sorry I'm the one to tell you this.

Nobody knows or cares what that means

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Eifert Posting posted:

Actually, they are the England of international football.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Eifert Posting posted:

lol....not the loving bengals of international sport

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Gigi Galli posted:

Actually, they are the England of international football.

harsh

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Personally I would have guessed Bangladesh were the Bengals of international sport but what do I know

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Blue Star Error posted:

Personally I would have guessed Bangladesh were the Bengals of international sport but what do I know

wow way to trigger indian bengalis mods?

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
As poo poo as he was, it's not really fair that Sterling is taking the brunt of the criticism

Kane was just as bad and Rooney only looked decent against Russia

Clyne is better than Walker too. Walker has zero end product

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is bielsa still out of a job?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

As poo poo as he was, it's not really fair that Sterling is taking the brunt of the criticism

Kane was just as bad and Rooney only looked decent against Russia

No wingers and teams figuring out if they park the bus we can't play through meant it didn't matter who was at full back as teams just doubled up on the only available width. Roy's plan A didn't work and had no plan B.

It's not hard for central midfielders to look poo poo when there's 9 men defending and Kane bumbling about looking like a knackered shadow of his former self.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Neither does Clyne, to be fair. However, his face isn't as punchable as Walker's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/10327446/senior-england-players-lost-faith-in-roy-hodgson-sky-sources

quote:

SSNHQ has been told that senior England players:

Were surprised by the use of a 4-3-3 formation, which had barely been implemented in any of England's friendly matches in 2016.

Questioned the selection of Raheem Sterling for the Iceland game, after he showed signs of lacking confidence throughout the tournament.

Felt momentum had been lost by making six changes for the Slovakia game, which they drew 0-0.

Wondered why Adam Lallana did not start against Iceland after his impressive performances during the group stages.

Debated among themselves the merits of playing Wayne Rooney in midfield, for the first time in his England career.

Were left frustrated that Marcus Rashford was left to warm up for approximately 10 minutes before he was sent on for the final four minutes of the Iceland game with England in desperate need of a goal.

Felt his pre-prepared statement at the post-Iceland press conference was an indication he may have doubted the team's chances before the game.

no mention of kane's set pieces though

• Locked thread