Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Hollismason posted:

What was the spell mod again that put Icewind Dale spells in BG2 and BG?

Yeah Jaheira is really good. That experience climb to beyond level15 for Druids is steep though. Then when you hit it you have so many spell slots.
God yes, I had to grind out 3mil experience just to get Jaheira to level 15 before the final fights. Cue a bunch of resting in the marching mountains. And that was after starting ToB with 4mil experience. Worth it to have 7 elemental prince castings though.

I did a 2 handed weapon gimmick party - fighter thief pc, Jaheira, Mazzy, Valygar, Keldorn, Minsc/Sarevok. Hard going in the middle of SoA but jesus did they kill things quick when I got some whirlwinds.

Starting a new game as an Archer and I just rolled 101 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That's almost enough for 18s in everything. :vince:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Iggles posted:

God yes, I had to grind out 3mil experience just to get Jaheira to level 15 before the final fights. Cue a bunch of resting in the marching mountains. And that was after starting ToB with 4mil experience. Worth it to have 7 elemental prince castings though.

I did a 2 handed weapon gimmick party - fighter thief pc, Jaheira, Mazzy, Valygar, Keldorn, Minsc/Sarevok. Hard going in the middle of SoA but jesus did they kill things quick when I got some whirlwinds.

Starting a new game as an Archer and I just rolled 101 :stare:

That's a pretty amusing party. I'm rolling with Cavalier, Jaheira, Rasaad, Yoshi, Aerie, Neera. Just beat Firkraag so now I'm officially overpowered rolling around with Carsomyr and it's level 30 on hit dispel magic. Rasaad is level 13 now as well and so he'll be getting some MR at level 14 soon enough.

Might do an evil play through next. Cleric of Talos has looked amusing to me for a while, so I might try that. I dunno.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Thats a pretty insane roll. To put it into perspective for you, even a bot rolling 100 times a second would take 33 days to get 101.

e: that doesn't account for stat minimums actually. Rangers have kinda high stat minimums, and I'm not good enough at stats to figure out the answer in that case.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 20, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Paladins too. I got a 98 early on and went with it, holding out for 100+ next time.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Seeing as you can re-roll endlessly I really don't see why the game doesn't just allow you to put in whatever you want.

Edit: Although I suppose that 100 times per second not statistic puts it in perspective.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kavak posted:

Paladins too. I got a 98 early on and went with it, holding out for 100+ next time.

The difference between the probability of rolling a 98 and a 101 is many orders of magnitude though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Seeing as you can re-roll endlessly I really don't see why the game doesn't just allow you to put in whatever you want.

Edit: Although I suppose that 100 times per second not statistic puts it in perspective.

For more perspective on these probabilities, that same bot is likely to take 32000 years to roll all 18s. That's years, not days.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ineptmule posted:

EE Keeper it in

you're the bhaalspawn you make the rules

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

ineptmule posted:

Enable cheats and press ctrl-8 during character creation.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

TBH I hope that if they do more Infinity/Infinity-esque games, Beamdog goes to a straight point buy system with 75 or some other reasonable total of points. I mean, it's fun at character creation if you randomly roll 91, but you've also just broken your playthrough to a degree by creating a character with no or very minor weaknesses.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with AD&D using rolls, it's not that bad. But 3rd edition and higher require point-buy almost by design.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

[Powerclicks on Re-roll]

74, 75, 77, 73, 82, 79, 88, 73, 93, 70... loving poo poo!!!

Many-a-time I clicked over a 90+. Then I stopped worrying and used Keeper or just settled for 85 or above.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Now that its come up i'll just shamelessly plug this again:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/54326/mod-point-buy-mod-for-bg-ee-1-2-and-sod-v1?new=1

Its a mod I made that lets you cycle between preset point totals of 75, 80, 85 and 90.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

fong posted:

Thats a pretty insane roll. To put it into perspective for you, even a bot rolling 100 times a second would take 33 days to get 101.

e: that doesn't account for stat minimums actually. Rangers have kinda high stat minimums, and I'm not good enough at stats to figure out the answer in that case.
Wow, that is crazy. I only took about a minute and would have been happy with 90s. 101 is just so far above anythingt I'd seen before. A bit sad I didn't do it in bg1

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

TBH I hope that if they do more Infinity/Infinity-esque games, Beamdog goes to a straight point buy system with 75 or some other reasonable total of points. I mean, it's fun at character creation if you randomly roll 91, but you've also just broken your playthrough to a degree by creating a character with no or very minor weaknesses.

No because most characters just don't care at all about at least two stats, and it's real easy to max 4. For many characters the physical stats are the only ones that matter.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Woolie Wool posted:

Eh, stat rolls are severely overrated. Consider that:

Str: There's an abundance of strength belts, spells, etc to boost this.
Dex: There are bracers of 18 dex
Con: There is a belt to boost con, and you only need 16 con to get max hp rolls etc unless you're playing a fighter class
Int: Is worthless except against Mindflayers and for scroll scribing, and there's potions of genius
Wis: There's three(!) +1 wisdom books in BG1, and the difference between middling and high wisdom isn't that severe
Cha: Ring of 18 CHA, friends, cha book, nymph cloak

You could play a character with straight 10s and not be bad off at all. You could even play them on harder difficulties and be alright. And in the end you'll end up just about as strong as a character with good rolls even if you play a gimp.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

fong posted:

For more perspective on these probabilities, that same bot is likely to take 32000 years to roll all 18s. That's years, not days.

Tzarnal posted:

Enable cheats and press ctrl-8 during character creation.

No thanks, I'll wait.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

ThermosAquaticus posted:

No because most characters just don't care at all about at least two stats, and it's real easy to max 4. For many characters the physical stats are the only ones that matter.

What if they use D&D 5E? I would be surprised if their next game still used 2E but I know very little about recent editions' rules.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If they use 5e, theoretically the stats will matter more, mainly because they each are used for their own save, but unless they make an effort to balance them, most of, if not all the saves use wis, dex, and con.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I feel like, as basically a demi-god, the PC is justified in having high stats. Look at Sarevok for example.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fong posted:

I feel like, as basically a demi-god, the PC is justified in having high stats. Look at Sarevok for example.

It does seem weird to have the scion of the God of Murder be bad at stabbing people, even if they're a wizard.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's the god of Murder, not the god of Stabbing. Don't be so narrow minded.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think casting Horrid Wilting which evaporate fluids from the targets bodies is sufficiently "murder" enough without needing the inferior stabbing of a dagger.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

fong posted:

This is how I feel about it too - you should at least be close to matching Sarevok.

I also hate having stats like Int, Wis and Cha at minimum for ~my immersion~ so I almost aim for a minimum of 10 for each of those along with my super murderin' skillz.

Also I've been trying to get a Berserker/Druid dual class character off the ground and I've been cursed with bad rolls for them so far, which is frustrating. I run a Mac so using EEkeeper is awkward, requiring me to boot into Windows on an old machine and all that sort of guff.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

ineptmule posted:

This is how I feel about it too - you should at least be close to matching Sarevok.

I also hate having stats like Int, Wis and Cha at minimum for ~my immersion~ so I almost aim for a minimum of 10 for each of those along with my super murderin' skillz.

Also I've been trying to get a Berserker/Druid dual class character off the ground and I've been cursed with bad rolls for them so far, which is frustrating. I run a Mac so using EEkeeper is awkward, requiring me to boot into Windows on an old machine and all that sort of guff.

I run EEKeeper under wine on linux, so probably wine on OS X works as well.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah, I need to get round to setting that up at some point.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a mod to stop items being destroyed by petrification / disintegration / cold shattering etc... that works with EE BG 1 and 2?

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I did it... I loving caved in and bought the BG:EE bundle on the Steam sale.

I already have the first EE on Beamdog but haven't finished a BG game since I discovered Ironman runs.

:negative:

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
These loving rats on BG:EE in Legacy of Bhaal mode :negative:

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Picked up the EE for BG2. I've always loved rangers, and I'm keen to roll up another: It's been a little bit since I've touched the game though; are there any bits of advice you all can give me? I was thinking perhaps an archer- but I could go for any myriad of builds. Half elf though, for ~my Immersion~

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Quantumfate posted:

Picked up the EE for BG2. I've always loved rangers, and I'm keen to roll up another: It's been a little bit since I've touched the game though; are there any bits of advice you all can give me? I was thinking perhaps an archer- but I could go for any myriad of builds. Half elf though, for ~my Immersion~

Archer falls off hard in late BG2/TOB

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34696/mod-improved-archer-kit-for-bgee-bg2ee-iwd-ee-and-original-bg2-bgt

Install that mod if you want to keep the same level of murder power throughout BG2/TOB that a BG1 Archer has. You won't be a kensai/berserker level of busted but you'll have some +4 arrows and two bows that ensure your only choice isn't shortbow or literally nothing. I'll stand by "there's no such thing as cheating in a single player game" :colbert: especially when it's not entirely that broken all things considered.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Archers go from killing everything to being decent warriors. There's no need to cheat, my very first BG1 -> ToB playthrough was with an archer and he was still doing just fine near the end.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

Archers go from killing everything to being decent warriors. There's no need to cheat, my very first BG1 -> ToB playthrough was with an archer and he was still doing just fine near the end.

The farthest I ever got in an Ironman was with an Archer, but I died with him to Ascension Yaga Shura :(.

They're solid throughout. I always wondered how one might do with a Crossbow or Sling instead of Bow. Firetooth is pretty rad, and there are some strong and easy to get slings in bg2. The problem with xbows is the lack of attacks per round, though. I guess if you use haste/improved haste/gaxx ring a lot you can get around that somewhat, but you'll probably always be a bit more limited than a Bow Archer.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's been about 5 years since I attempted playing BG using Tutu. Now that the EEs are out I'm thinking about buying BGEE after I finish Pillars. I've been creeping through this thread and I'm seeing talk of +3 and +4 arrows and I can't remember, are arrows are a limited item or not? I hope I can keep my RPG momentum going and plow through Pillars and BG. Although I've been thinking about going into IW because I'm a sucker for the combat in these games and as I get older I care less about stories.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yes, you have to buy/find magical arrows individually, and some of them have exist in a very limited amount throughout the game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

It's been about 5 years since I attempted playing BG using Tutu. Now that the EEs are out I'm thinking about buying BGEE after I finish Pillars. I've been creeping through this thread and I'm seeing talk of +3 and +4 arrows and I can't remember, are arrows are a limited item or not? I hope I can keep my RPG momentum going and plow through Pillars and BG. Although I've been thinking about going into IW because I'm a sucker for the combat in these games and as I get older I care less about stories.

in BG1EE you don't have to worry about any of that. The best arrows are acid arrows and arrows of detonation. Even in the new BG1 expansion archers are still great and they even give you a second archer NPC who could probably carry the entire party on her back in lower difficulties. In BG2/mostly ToB some boss enemies (demogorgons, liches, wizards who cast mantle) need I think +3 or +4 weapons to hit them. +4 arrows aren't in the game so I think the gesen bow is your only chance there

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A supply of good arrows isn't going to be a problem at all. Not unless you've got a bow on like every single party member.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ineptmule posted:

This GUI mod comes with a few alternate rolling methods, it's only available for BG1 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCheese
May 1, 2011

fong posted:

A supply of good arrows isn't going to be a problem at all. Not unless you've got a bow on like every single party member.

Giving everyone bows is a pretty good idea in BG1, though.