Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jenx posted:

I am absolutely loving the fact that this guy just keeps going! This newest "last form" of his seems pretty drat strong, if a bit slow due to his 5 CMC.

He's already a 5/4 with evasion. That he makes dudes whenever you Unsubstantiate something is icing on the cake. He doesn't even need his flip to be not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Now I want to see what the Mythic Rare 6/5 Eldrazi Insect transforms into in their next set.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You can proc this by Emerging a Wretched Gryff for U right? Kindof hope that's a deck somehow (with more appropriate Emerge enablers).

Yes you can. The CMC of a card is always the total of the mana symbols in the upper right hand corner no matter how much you pay for it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alris posted:

Now I want to see what the Mythic Rare 6/5 Eldrazi Insect transforms into in their next set.

When you play N instants or sorcery, search your library for Newnewlamog, Kozilek Reborn, and Emrakul story bro, then meld them all with More Final Form, also you win the game.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Alris posted:

Have him straight-up transform into a new legendary Eldrazi Titan.

E: Wait, wait, make him a planeswalker.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 28, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Delver Mk3 is a flavor homerun, drat that art.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Are there currently any wizard types in standard (I would assume so) or maybe in EM there will be some wizards so you don't have to cast him followed by casting instants to put wizards into play.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Are there currently any wizard types in standard (I would assume so) or maybe in EM there will be some wizards so you don't have to cast him followed by casting instants to put wizards into play.

Reflector Mage is a Wizard, is the main one. So is flip Jace. If you try to go a Prowess-y angle there's also Jori En, Stormchaser Mage, and Sanguinary Mage. And in black Asylum Vistor is at least theoretically playable.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and Reflector Mage are the two big ones, and to make it even better both of them can be Collected Company'd out.

Collected Company is an instant and so you'd get a 1/1 wizard from THAT.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Insect guy is definitely constructed playable as a finisher in a control deck or even just the high curve in some blue beatdown deck.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

If Bruna and Gisela are right next to each other on the sheet, then does that say something about how likely you are to see both in a box?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

Some blue beatdown deck.

The color pie is safe once again. Thanks MaRo

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
UR Tribal Wizards ftw

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That card draw engine makes sense if you consider that emerge is likely replacing investigate as the UG archetype for EDM limited.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DangerDongs posted:

Insect guy is definitely constructed playable as a finisher in a control deck or even just the high curve in some blue beatdown deck.

Ah yes, the 5 drop that doesn't provide instant value or protect itself, the old Constructed staple.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dr. Stab posted:

If Bruna and Gisela are right next to each other on the sheet, then does that say something about how likely you are to see both in a box?

Probably not, and I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't actually next to each other on the sheet (as opposed to the unhinged), seeing as how they have different rarities.

Fun fact: Splinter Twin is twice as common as any other rare from RoE, because it's on the sheet twice :)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

I don't think a control deck wants a 5 mana play as a finisher that doesn't do anything when it comes into play or project itself...

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Ah yes, the 5 drop that doesn't provide instant value or protect itself, the old Constructed staple.

Yeah man a card that can instantly drop 1/1s in a format run rampant with 3 color good stuff decks, and endless removal has no constructed playability.
He is a faster clock than Dragonlord sulimgar. You can arguably cast a spell when you play him to make a 1/1.

Don't act like a 5 power flyer for 5 in this format is bad, especially one that can also guck up the board.

Edit: you also don't have to play him turn 5, you can leave protection up, and get a 1/1 out of it.
Maybe drowner of hope is strictly better, I dunno.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

Reflector Mage is a Wizard, is the main one. So is flip Jace. If you try to go a Prowess-y angle there's also Jori En, Stormchaser Mage, and Sanguinary Mage. And in black Asylum Vistor is at least theoretically playable.

Reflector Mage is also in the colors of the flicker spells like Essence Flux, Eerie Interlude and Long Road Home, meaning you can bounce him repeatedly while making new Wizards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

Yeah man a card that can instantly drop 1/1s in a format run rampant with 3 color good stuff decks, and endless removal has no constructed playability.
He is a faster clock than Dragonlord sulimgar. You can arguably cast a spell when you play him to make a 1/1.

Don't act like a 5 power flyer for 5 in this format is bad, especially one that can also guck up the board.

Edit: you also don't have to play him turn 5, you can leave protection up, and get a 1/1 out of it.

If this is the best thing we have as a control deck finisher, control decks aren't going to be very good. I mean, Chandra is still in the format for another year too. I doubt this is even a better mono U finisher than something like Rise from the Tides.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Fun fact: Splinter Twin is twice as common as any other rare from RoE, because it's on the sheet twice :)

Every rare is on a sheet twice, for modern-day sets. Mythics appear once.

This may vary for DFCs, though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Skyl3lazer posted:

Probably not, and I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't actually next to each other on the sheet (as opposed to the unhinged), seeing as how they have different rarities.

They'd be on the same sheet. There'd just be one more of the rare. If they're not next to each other, then they'd have to be next to a filler card or maybe the edge of the sheet.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DangerDongs posted:

A 5 power flier is never bad, but history has shown that 5 mana is simply too much for a creature without providing instant value or having some sort of protection. Baneslayer Angel is the last card that fit those parameters and saw constructed play that I can remember, and this card doesn't have the "aggro has to answer it or lose immediately" that BSA had.

Also, this might be one of the worst formats for a 5/4 flier, since it has the potential to get blown the gently caress out by Avacyn and is blanked by Gisela.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

A 5 power flier is never bad, but history has shown that 5 mana is simply too much for a creature without providing instant value or having some sort of protection. Baneslayer Angel is the last card that fit those parameters and saw constructed play that I can remember, and this card doesn't have the "aggro has to answer it or lose immediately" that BSA had.

Also, this might be one of the worst formats for a 5/4 flier, since it has the potential to get blown the gently caress out by Avacyn and is blanked by Gisela.

Yeah, white is broken this season, and now has two amazing fliers, but at least blue has ways to counter or bounce angels out of the way.
I think people would be looking differently at this card if Wizards didn't royally gently caress up with white.
I don't think it is the worst card in a midrange deck like grixis, but maybe their 5 mana creature slot is already taken by Goblin Dark-dwellers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lone Rider is cool design but I can't see it being playable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Bursts are back

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mob is a neat, weird design

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Those look like intro pack rares from before they cancelled intro packs.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

whydirt posted:

They haven't cancelled them until Kaladesh; these are intro pack rares.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

whydirt posted:

Eldritch Moon has intro packs

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

whydirt posted:

They are intro pack rares.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Lots of cool cards this set.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rinkles posted:

Bursts are back

Was really hoping the blue one would be U1, Counter unless they pay 1 + 2 per ~ in GY.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just noticed that new Accumulated Knowledge is a sorcery

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

whydirt posted:

That card draw engine makes sense if you consider that emerge is likely replacing investigate as the UG archetype for EDM limited.

If there's some decent 2 or 3 drops that do good things when they die, the Emerge deck is going to be super fun to draft.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Grisly Anglerfish and It That Rides As One are cool as gently caress and I'll brook no argument to the contrary.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Skyl3lazer posted:

Was really hoping the blue one would be U1, Counter unless they pay 1 + 2 per ~ in GY.

Runesnap already exists and it is already insufferable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Galvanic Bombardment is probably playable right? Fiery Impulse saw play and this gets better as you go. Also, Terese Nielsen doing art in a regular expansion again, although Innistrad is the randomest fit for Terese Nielsen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rinkles posted:

Just noticed that new Accumulated Knowledge is a sorcery

It also only counts copies in your yard instead of all yards. Also I hate that flavor text.

Just give me Accumulated Knowledge!! :argh:

• Locked thread