Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

broken clock opsec posted:

he could always pick fiorina

Maybe she could go for a hat trick of campaigns tanked in one cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

broken clock opsec posted:

at this rate trump will bring up clinton's birth certificate by the end of june

even i never guessed that he'd pivot to asking for warren's blood samples

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Also after what he said about "it'd just be pandering," it'd just be pandering.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

So by my count of all the aggregate poll models, if the election were held today, Hilldawg would win 343-195, with the exact same electoral map as 2012 except Nevada flipping to Democrat. Obviously 2016 is the year of unprecedented lol nothing matters, but the summer and fall could end up being much ado about nothing, just like 2012. Welp that's all I've got see ya

Obama won NV in 2012. Clinton currently has slight leads in the aggregate for all the competitive states that went to Obama, plus maybe kinda NC. So 347 EVs.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/747790325255651328

I was at a family reunion this weekend and since I'm the "politics guy" I had to tell dozens of sad racists that Donald Trump has no chance of winning and they were gobsmacked.

Lol yea that's totally what they call you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/747780196653215744

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
After the Brexit poll debacle I'm not going to pay attention to a single poll from here until November. I paid such close attention to those polls for the 3 days prior and it was all bullshit on referendum day. It's all rigged when the big dogs stand to lose a few chips

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/747790325255651328

I was at a family reunion this weekend and since I'm the "politics guy" I had to tell dozens of sad racists that Donald Trump has no chance of winning and they were gobsmacked.

The only Republicans I know who are politically active enough to know what's going on are universally so loving pissed right now lol

Our network guy at work saw the writing on the wall wrt Trump getting elected back in February and he's been grumbling about president-elect hillary ever since

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

I can't believe anyone has ever intended to be a tourist in Oklahoma. How is that possible.

Wichita Wildlife Refuge is pretty cool. But, federal area and I wouldn't go to OK just for that.

A lot of Oklahoma is actually rather pretty. Mostly the areas without Oklahomans.

Drunkboxer posted:

I've driven thru there a bunch and seen some surprisingly pretty areas I wouldn't mind camping in/around. You see a lot of red dirt and cow ponds too of course.

This. If you're already in the area there are some very pretty parts of Oklahoma and Brick Town is alright. Not worth making a trip to Oklahoma for, though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Tautologicus posted:

After the Brexit poll debacle I'm not going to pay attention to a single poll from here until November. I paid such close attention to those polls for the 3 days prior and it was all bullshit on referendum day. It's all rigged when the big dogs stand to lose a few chips

that's a good idea, it's better to have your false worldview ripped away from you at once then have your hope slowly leeched away over the coming months

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tautologicus posted:

Just add a favorable +5 liberal media bias filter to every candidate you like, that way when Trump loses you'll know that he really only lost by 9 points rather than 14

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trump's speech today will be delivered from our grimdark future.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Joementum posted:

I guess that would be assassin really shook him, that camouflage is perfect

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tautologicus posted:

I'd echo what everyone else said and also point out that for whatever reason British polls have lately seemed to undercount Conservative (ideology, not party) voters by about 2-5 points. They did it with the Brexit vote and the most recent general election vote.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Trash candidate to speak at trash factory

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
The problem with picking someone in politics is the high likelihood that associating yourself with the Trump campaign is career ending. My guess is Trump picks someone from business with little political experience that has been hanging around the conservative grifting circuit that thinks something like this would only serve to raise their profile and sell more books/speeches.

I say the VP goes to a Cain/Fiorina type but neither of them.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The final polling averages for Brexit had it about tied, with 10% undecided. Leave won by 3.8 points. That really isn't too big of a miss.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Most of the brexit aggregated polls I saw had remain and leave in the mid 40s with about 10% undecided, so they were actually pretty decent

The betting markets hosed up royally though

efb

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Slate Action posted:

The final polling averages for Brexit had it about tied, with 10% undecided. Leave won by 3.8 points. That really isn't too big of a miss.

Also keep in mind that saying what you really think is an anathema to Englishness

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NYT has an article today about why exit polls are often skewed but it's Bernie-oriented

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Turnburry suffered some serious brexit damage.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Three Olives posted:

The problem with picking someone in politics is the high likelihood that associating yourself with the Trump campaign is career ending. My guess is Trump picks someone from business with little political experience that has been hanging around the conservative grifting circuit that thinks something like this would only serve to raise their profile and sell more books/speeches.

I say the VP goes to a Cain/Fiorina type but neither of them.

Trump said from the start that he was going to pick a DC establishment type to help him get things done, and the establishment would have likely demanded one of their own on the ticket so they retain some measure of control over the messaging. I'd bet on Bob Corker.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

neonnoodle posted:

Trash candidate to speak at trash factory

Jesus, this. "Yeah, this mountain of refuse will make a good backdrop for my campaign."

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/747801849751867393

Dogstoyevsky fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 28, 2016

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/how-does-it-feel-to-be-losing-so-badly

quote:

At some point in the not distant future, some reporter - probably a not altogether pleasant one - will ask Trump: "How does it feel to be losing so badly? Just on a personal level? Does it hurt? Do regret getting into this?" It won't be pretty because Trump's ego is fragile. From there I suspect you'll see it cropping up in campaign attacks from every direction.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

zoux posted:

NYT has an article today about why exit polls are often skewed but it's Bernie-oriented

I've been told that to even think the name B_ S_ is to admit mi Abuelita's foundational weaknesses so I won't bother

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

TyrantWD posted:

Trump said from the start that he was going to pick a DC establishment type to help him get things done, and the establishment would have likely demanded one of their own on the ticket so they retain some measure of control over the messaging. I'd bet on Bob Corker.

Watch it be loving Chuck Grassley. Him and Trump share delusions of grandeur and an attitude that their ignorance in an area is just as good as someone's expertise.

Plus he's old.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Tautologicus posted:

haha you're such a crazy weirdo

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Joementum posted:

what's trump doing in my fallout 4 settlement

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Donald Trump: the trash candidate

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 28, 2016

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Watching the Republicans' press conference about their Bengazi report. Kind of a bummer to wake up to Vilerat's bones being used as a puppet again.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
lol Gowdy is giving a speech right now scrabbling to shift the goalposts as much as possible to try to make this nothingburger he spent the last four years cooking more palatable

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/747802367589027840
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/747802778307788800

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I've had this running through my head for a while, yeah

Trump is a man who's spent his entire life clawing out of one fuckup and into another while still getting by on branding and braggadocio, but all of that's just a cover for the fact that the man's a loser. He's a born loser. He loses constantly, which is what losers do. They lose things.

He's still rich, which means normal standards of failure don't apply to him, but eventually someone's going take the tack mentioned in that article and I hope it causes a major chain reaction spanning his whole rococo rat's nest of a career.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
This morning WaPo published the piece on Trump's charity donations that they've been tweeting about for the past week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...becb_story.html

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Mirthless posted:

lol Gowdy is giving a speech right now scrabbling to shift the goalposts as much as possible to try to make this nothingburger he spent the last four years cooking more palatable

You can tell he was a typical scumbag prosecutor. Almost definitely knows that he overcharged and doesn't have the case anymore but is confident in his position of power and ability to spin that he can't let one go. A good prosecutor loses a case and goes back to the office to have a mouthful of whiskey and shrug it off. A scumbag like Gowdy will go to the press and make sure he ruins the defendant's reputation if he can't manage to get the conviction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you believe that people should look at this and think Hillary Clinton is culpable?

"What conclusions they draw is up to them"

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slate Action posted:

But the final polls, the ones in the last 3 days, were nearly all for remain. I was watching them come in on my ticker tape. If you're going to do an average, weigh it towards most recent polls by a lot. Averages obfuscate more than they illuminate most of the time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Agronox posted:

Chillwave is generally summer-themed, focused on good hooks and uses a lot of synths. The lyrics are almost intentionally trite. Chillwave has nothing important to say and is okay with that... but that's probably why it only really lasted for 2-3 years.

Vaporwave is also heavily synth but more artsy and eager to use chiptunes. It's also more jokey and cynical.

Forgive me for this forums analogy:

chillwave : byob :: vaporwave : fyad

what's synthwave...other than awesome

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

I've had this running through my head for a while, yeah

Trump is a man who's spent his entire life clawing out of one fuckup and into another while still getting by on branding and braggadocio, but all of that's just a cover for the fact that the man's a loser. He's a born loser. He loses constantly, which is what losers do. They lose things.

He's still rich, which means normal standards of failure don't apply to him, but eventually someone's going take the tack mentioned in that article and I hope it causes a major chain reaction spanning his whole rococo rat's nest of a career.

How many skyscrapers do you own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

not attacking you but god drat it john marshall's blog posts are so badly written. editor needs an editor.

• Locked thread