Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Apoplexy posted:

Use Mod Organizer, please. For the love of god, it'll make EVERYTHING so much more simple for you! To answer your question, though, assuming the textures are unpacked as loose files into the data directory, they should be prioritized over the Bethesda BSAs.

I am using MO though. This is what I'm talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

nexus6 posted:

I am using MO though. This is what I'm talking about

Oh. Then you might need to make sure your mod order is proper. Priority 0, 1, et cetera, all should be your base Bethesda BSAs. You might have it inverted, as I did once. Because that does NOT look like it's even Bethesda's High-Res Textures being used.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

Oh. Then you might need to make sure your mod order is proper. Priority 0, 1, et cetera, all should be your base Bethesda BSAs. You might have it inverted, as I did once. Because that does NOT look like it's even Bethesda's High-Res Textures being used.

Well I have the plugins sorted by LOOT whenever I add mods. Some textures are high quality, some aren't. Maybe the 2k pack doesn't affect ruins or something? Is there supposed to be an ESP?

Apoplexy posted:

Oh. No, it does not.

Oh, that's annoying becuase it has this screensot on the mod's page

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 26, 2016

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

nexus6 posted:

Well I have the plugins sorted by LOOT whenever I add mods. Some textures are high quality, some aren't. Maybe the 2k pack doesn't affect ruins or something?

Oh. No, it does not. But you'd THINK that the game's textures wouldn't look like as big a poo poo as those stairs you're looking at, or the shield you're wielding in the left hand there. In all honesty, just get SMC and go through the list and see what seems like it'd be a big impact. Ruins Clutter Improved is definitely something that'd help. It has a few armor-related mods that cover things like shields and everything aMidianBorn's Book of Silence doesn't.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

nexus6 posted:

Well I have the plugins sorted by LOOT whenever I add mods. Some textures are high quality, some aren't. Maybe the 2k pack doesn't affect ruins or something? Is there supposed to be an ESP?

Oh, that's annoying becuase it has this screensot on the mod's page

LOOT doesn't sort texture mods and the left pane at all, please take 10 minutes to learn what you're doing.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
LOOT is almost functionally useless other than a few well tagged mods. It's nice to have for those few but it really isn't magical in any sense of the word. I haven't done much modding since MatorSmash became a thing so I don't know how well that works, but the only way to get actual good, non-conflicting load order was to do it yourself using TESVEdit and wasting a whole shitload of time.

Also LOOT doesn't touch texture files, they load based on their position in MO. You can unpack .BSAs in MO to see exactly what textures they hold. AFAIK unpacking them doesn't slow the game down either, but that could be wrong. I love unpacking them though because not only can you directly compare textures at the most basic level, you can pick and choose which ones you actually like.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 27, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You'll also want to check the right panel named "Archives" to see if there are texture mod .bsa's that are unchecked and not loaded.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
That moment when you think you're experienced enough at modding to install about 30-40 mods in one go and then you launch the game and your NPC textures are all messed up and your ENB is broken :|

All my NPCs look orange and/or have gray faces :allears:

Time to start over, slowly this time.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Your Computer posted:

You'll also want to check the right panel named "Archives" to see if there are texture mod .bsa's that are unchecked and not loaded.
Checking mods in the left pane determines if those mods are being loaded or not. Once a mod shows up in the right pane, MO presents it to Skyrim.

What checking a BSA under the archives tab does is having MO treat the contents of that archive as loose files.
This means that their priority is determined by the installation order in MO, and not the corresponding plugin's loadorder position. Normally the order in which Skyrim loads its assets is BSAs first, in order of the plugins' loadorder. Then loose files. MO's system allows you to have the contents of a BSA from one mod, override the loose files from another mod without having to unpack that BSA.
Also it allows the contents of the BSA to be loaded, without the needs of a dummy plugin which can help people struggling with the 254 plugin limit.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mazz posted:

LOOT is almost functionally useless other than a few well tagged mods. It's nice to have for those few but it really isn't magical in any sense of the word. I haven't done much modding since MatorSmash became a thing so I don't know how well that works, but the only way to get actual good, non-conflicting load order was to do it yourself using TESVEdit and wasting a whole shitload of time.

Also LOOT doesn't touch texture files, they load based on their position in MO. You can unpack .BSAs in MO to see exactly what textures they hold. AFAIK unpacking them doesn't slow the game down either, but that could be wrong. I love unpacking them though because not only can you directly compare textures at the most basic level, you can pick and choose which ones you actually like.

Since LOOT is mostly useless - is there a guide to making a load order using TESVEdit? The most I ever do with it is clean mods that need it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr E posted:

is there a guide to making a load order using TESVEdit?
Sorting your loadorder is done with a mod manager tool such as MO, NMM, or - Talos help you - the Skyrim Launcher. TES5Edit doesn't handle sorting loadorders by itself.

What TES5Edit does allow you to do is taking a look at the plugins' contents, making quick edits and certain tasks like cleaning plugins of TIM/UDR errors.
In particular the first of those is crucial when creating a working & stable modded game setup as it allow you to see which plugins conflict where with each other. Allowing you to create compatibility patches and stuff.
And yeah, there are automated tools that can create compatibility patches, but if you use those I'd still strongly recommend checking the result out with TES5Edit as I've yet to see such a tool produce a decent result.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, I've been meaning to ask. I haven't modded in a while and the OP, while very helpful, doesn't mention good performance ENBs. I only have an R9 280 so I can't run the top end ones.

I used to run Zoner's High performance ENB but it doesn't seem to work well anymore for some reason (current ENB version, likely).

Also, what npc skin texture mods do you recommend nowadays?

The rest of my load order is pretty much working spot on, only visual ones are experiencing problems.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Schrodingers cat posted:

Actually, I've been meaning to ask. I haven't modded in a while and the OP, while very helpful, doesn't mention good performance ENBs. I only have an R9 280 so I can't run the top end ones.

I used to run Zoner's High performance ENB but it doesn't seem to work well anymore for some reason (current ENB version, likely).

Also, what npc skin texture mods do you recommend nowadays?

The rest of my load order is pretty much working spot on, only visual ones are experiencing problems.

Grab Skyrim Mod Combiner, look for the body/skin/face mods there, grab 'em all. They go well together. SMC also specifically goes for nevernude/underwear versions, so no loving cocks of Skyrim flopping around. I have all the aforementioned mods combined together and they look great, only a little bit of a seam at the neck is visible, the faces look fantastic, the bodies are great without being loving 8192x8192 with normals and parallax or whatever, and Beards + Brows are good mods.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Apoplexy posted:

Grab Skyrim Mod Combiner, look for the body/skin/face mods there, grab 'em all. They go well together. SMC also specifically goes for nevernude/underwear versions, so no loving cocks of Skyrim flopping around.

That's perfect, thank you very much!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah. Trust me when I say SMC is the loving bomb. If you grab literally every publicly-available texture from that list, in 2K or 2K diffuse-1K normals where available, your game will look 500,000,000x better than base, run just as well since the texture sizes aren't SIGNIFICANTLY different from Bethesda's High-Res Texture Packs, and you have ridiculous control over what you see.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mr E posted:

Since LOOT is mostly useless - is there a guide to making a load order using TESVEdit? The most I ever do with it is clean mods that need it.

I should clarify LOOT does work for some mods just fine, I know some big name stuff like Cutting Room Floor worked in LOOT to place itself where needed in regards to some other well known mods. Those mods are tagged for LOOT to move, which it does correctly.

The problem with LOOT is that people have the idea it will do conflict resolution automatically which just isn't true at all. All LOOT does is reorder .esps based on a couple very simple rules. If you have two mods that alter the same thing, say the hunting bow, only one of those will ever be loaded by the game because of the "rule of one" thing with .esp files. LOOT may change the order of which is loaded by the game but it will never fix the conflict. The only way to actually actually fix these things is to merge the changes from each .esp into a new resolution patch, which you place near the end of your mod list to be loaded last.

This is what matorsmash tries to automate, but the manual way of doing it involves opening all of your .esps in TESVEdit, which is designed to point out conflicts with the correct filters applied, and let's you merge those things together manually.

Conflict resolution is also made more complicated by the fact that some mods are knowingly overwriting each other, and that's why doing it manually will always be the only surefire way, assuming you know what you're looking at in the first place. Skyrim modding is a bottomless pit.

I can't give you a good guide in text but I know at least a couple exist on YouTube.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 27, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mazz posted:

I should clarify LOOT does work for some mods just fine, I know some big name stuff like Cutting Room Floor worked in LOOT to place itself where needed in regards to some other well known mods. Those mods are tagged for LOOT to move, which it does correctly.

The problem with LOOT is that people have the idea it will do conflict resolution automatically which just isn't true at all. All LOOT does is reorder .esps based on a couple very simple rules. If you have two mods that alter the same thing, say the hunting bow, only one of those will ever be loaded by the game because of the "rule of one" thing with .esp files. LOOT may change the order of which is loaded by the game but it will never fix the conflict. The only way to actually actually fix these things is to merge the changes from each .esp into a new resolution patch, which you place near the end of your mod list to be loaded last.

This is what matorsmash tried to automate, but the manual way of doing it involves opening all of your .esps in TESVEDit. Which is designed to point out conflicts with the correct filters applied, and let's you merge those things together manually.

I can't give you a good guide in text but I know at least a couple exist on YouTube.

Ah, I know how to create a merged patch, I was confused as to what exactly TESVEdit was being used for I guess.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mr E posted:

Ah, I know how to create a merged patch, I was confused as to what exactly TESVEdit was being used for I guess.

Yeah, basically LOOT automates the easiest part of the process but doesn't generally do anything you couldn't do in 5 minutes in TESVEdit and rearranging mods in MO directly. It's effortless to use so there's no real reason not to use it anyway, but it's by no means the solution to people using 200 mods hoping for perfect cohesion. You gotta get your hands dirty for that.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
It gives you a nice starting point though.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Enderal (total conversion mod from Nehrim people) got a release date, July 1-3 for the German version and a couple weeks later for English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hrmSD6DZt4
I remember people saying Nehrim was better than Oblivion, a low bar to clear. Looking forward to trying this if it isn't a huge hassle to install. I never got very far in Nehrim.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Nehrim is so loving nuts I can't remember what was real and what was just a fever dream. I think I helped dwarves build a spaceship, went to the bottom of the ocean, and killed Zeus? Mostly I just remember a German elf moping about his dead girlfriend.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

Nehrim is so loving nuts I can't remember what was real and what was just a fever dream. I think I helped dwarves build a spaceship, went to the bottom of the ocean, and killed Zeus? Mostly I just remember a German elf moping about his dead girlfriend.

Woah sounds like they're mainlining trainwiz... or the Kirkbride himself!

got some modding to do :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah Nehrim is kind of what you'd get if you actually crammed a bunch of the insane TES lore into Oblivion. It's pretty solid and vastly better than Oblvion itself, so I'm really hopeful that Enderal manages the same for Skyrim.

Nehrim has it's own installer as well, it's pretty much completely painless. You don't need any other mods with it either.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

from what I've seen of the game's progress videos and whatnot Enderal is gonna fuckin' own, especially the underground city

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Well I moved the load order around and the game certainly looks good, I don't know if it's the placebo effect though.

I'll look into SMC when I've got more time

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

nexus6 posted:

Well I moved the load order around and the game certainly looks good, I don't know if it's the placebo effect though.

I'll look into SMC when I've got more time

No, that's roughly what it should look like!

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah. Trust me when I say SMC is the loving bomb. If you grab literally every publicly-available texture from that list, in 2K or 2K diffuse-1K normals where available, your game will look 500,000,000x better than base, run just as well since the texture sizes aren't SIGNIFICANTLY different from Bethesda's High-Res Texture Packs, and you have ridiculous control over what you see.

So for male textures it's 100% amazing but there didn't seem to be any female texture in the list so I tried adding CBBE nevernude for testing and it still messes up. The only female texture is smile HD. It might be because CBBE is also bad and I should look for new meshes/body/textures. Haven't modded in a while.

If I put non listed mods in the build order, will it take these textures to or built SMC only from the build list checkboxes?

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 28, 2016

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
SMC is just a utility, it only recognizes the stuff from its list. You can, by all means, install any other mods you want on top of the SMC output or via ModOrganizer or something, that'd certainly cause it to show up in game, yeah.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Would you have any recommendation for the aforementioned? they seem to cause conflicts and grey faces (bella, cbbe, ethereal elves were tried so far)

I could very well play without these, just would be weird to have HD male npcs and low-res female npcs.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Honestly, I NEVER noticed that SMC doesn't cover females because I use Windsong Skyrim Character Overhaul and like the way everyone looks with those textures and its ESPs enabled. Occidental Type, because, seriously?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I asked earlier and it got kinda buried, but are there any good and up to date resources on creating new armors and weapons in Skyrim?

Google returns a bunch of results but so much of it is either 1) really lovely or 2) really old, and it's hard to find stuff about importing custom meshes and not just "duplicate this armor and name it something else + make it overpowered :effort:", so I was hoping maybe someone in this thread had some experience with it and could point me in the right direction. With the new fancy Skyrim Special Edition on the way, maybe now is a good time to get into modding v:shobon:v

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Probably the best place to ask would be the nexus forums, or possibly send a PM here to Hoth, who's the modder behind Immersive Armors.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
So I switched to mod organiser because NMM was having trouble with a bigger mod I wanted to try out and it's completely broken. Zero mods are installed in my data directory and I need to run FNIS and a skyproc patcher for other mods that I use. LOOT still detects that there are mods so obviously they're somewhere but I'm lost.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
MO stores mods in their own directories outside the data folder and tricks Skyrim into looking for them there.

Any program like skyproc that you want to use on your mods you have to load in MO by adding it as an executable.

More info: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

A Magical Lamp posted:

So I switched to mod organiser because NMM was having trouble with a bigger mod I wanted to try out and it's completely broken. Zero mods are installed in my data directory and I need to run FNIS and a skyproc patcher for other mods that I use. LOOT still detects that there are mods so obviously they're somewhere but I'm lost.

Mod Organizer doesn't store mods in Skyrim's data directory, it's one of its biggest strenghts. You'll have to launch Skyrim via MO if want to use any mods you've added with it.

e: beaten

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Oh, that could be a bit more intuitive but eh I knew I was sacrificing a lot of user friendliness from the start.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's not intuitive at all from the perspective of anything that came before, and it does have a sharp learning curve. Once you "get it," though, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah, MO's the poo poo. Too bad it doesn't work well with Oblivion, or at all with Morrowind. :|

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Apoplexy posted:

Honestly, I NEVER noticed that SMC doesn't cover females because I use Windsong Skyrim Character Overhaul and like the way everyone looks with those textures and its ESPs enabled. Occidental Type, because, seriously?

Well after a bit more tweaking ENB and using your suggestions, I'm finally able to start a playthrough and stop modding (for now). I archived my "good Skyrim" copy on another HDD in case of royal mess up :p

Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Schrodingers cat posted:

I'm finally able to start a playthrough and stop modding (for now).

I thought I could do this but I keep needing my 'new mod' fix

• Locked thread