Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So where do i get the magazine for this little girl? she says somewhere in Shibuya but none of the shops actually carry anything like that unless i'm just missing it?

majormonotone posted:

It's on a newsstand near Central City street iirc

Yep, right near the Hee Ho Market, and the newsstand looks like a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

... *sigh* God dammit Touma... fine, but if I hear the words "Operation: Babe Hunt" at any point, I'm out. The scars from Yakushima and Okina City still haven't faded.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So Tsubasa gets to keep the snapback but Kiria doesn't keep the outfit from her first sidquest/ad-lib performance? I like that one way better than her default one :(

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So Tsubasa gets to keep the snapback but Kiria doesn't keep the outfit from her first sidquest/ad-lib performance? I like that one way better than her default one :(

Me too! You can eventually buy it, don't worry.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

After extended dicking around in a dungeon I will run dry on Itsuki but I'm using nothing but skills to trigger sessions for sweet sweet star prestige.

Infinity Gaia posted:

The only time I seem to come close to running out of EP is doing all encores in the arena.
Wait the encores end? I did one encore and stopped figuring it was a fancy way of saying "wanna do it again?"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Rorus Raz posted:

After extended dicking around in a dungeon I will run dry on Itsuki but I'm using nothing but skills to trigger sessions for sweet sweet star prestige.
Wait the encores end? I did one encore and stopped figuring it was a fancy way of saying "wanna do it again?"

Nah, you can do three of them, each one triples your reward. It goes 2 coins for one fight, 6 for 2, 18 for 3. You can get a lot of info like this by talking to the arena keeper from behind, including the rewards for each rank.

Edit: Also I just got my first Duo Performance and man these things let you do obscene damage considering they restart the session.

Double Edit: Jesus christ Charge/Concentrate are NUTS in this game since they more than double the next SESSIONS'S Physical/Magical damage

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 28, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What is charge anyway? I got Gaia's Whisper and it mentions having Charge for 2 turns and a whole buncha buffs and I wasn't sure if it was the typical JRPG "Next turn does 2x damage" or what

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What is charge anyway? I got Gaia's Whisper and it mentions having Charge for 2 turns and a whole buncha buffs and I wasn't sure if it was the typical JRPG "Next turn does 2x damage" or what

I literally just wrote what they do, man. More than doubles the physical damage of the next session that character initiates. Touma getting it for 2 turns makes him insanely powerful against things weak to lances.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Is there a place to sell the excess materials you get from enemies?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Infinity Gaia posted:

I literally just wrote what they do, man. More than doubles the physical damage of the next session that character initiates. Touma getting it for 2 turns makes him insanely powerful against things weak to lances.

I somehow misread that line, I'm dumb as hell :negative:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The more I play this, the more it reminds me of DDS side of SMT than Persona. In that vein, I hope they continue the series with at least another entry. It's good.

I've been teetering on buying the DLC dungeons but I can't really justify them right now. The arena is incredible for grinding out exp/weapon skills especially if you complete both encores. The Daily gives you a Tome too, it seems (or at least it did today). Is there any real reason to buy them other than flavor at this point?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

MrAristocrates posted:

e: also I beat the boss of Mamori's side story, Sukukaja + Sukunda is real good y'all

Are those the spells that affect accuracy and dodge of your party/the enemy party? The spell names still don't stick in my head well and checking the SMT wiki was supremely unhelpful.They didn't have a list of what spell does what, as far as I could tell.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes, Suku is Hit/Evade, Raku is Defense, and Taru is Offense, while -kaja buffs your team and -nda debuffs the enemy. In that fight I got around the enemy's two-turn bullshit and constant oneshotting my party members by buffing my evasion and debuffing his hit rate so he never landed a hit.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Do you not like SMT or have you just never played it?

Whoops forgot about this. Never played it but I'm open minded.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

The more I play this, the more it reminds me of DDS side of SMT than Persona. In that vein, I hope they continue the series with at least another entry. It's good.

I've been teetering on buying the DLC dungeons but I can't really justify them right now. The arena is incredible for grinding out exp/weapon skills especially if you complete both encores. The Daily gives you a Tome too, it seems (or at least it did today). Is there any real reason to buy them other than flavor at this point?

No, the DLC dungeons are a complete waste of your time.

It's trivial to get experience, trivial to get mastery and EXTREMELY trivial to get money once you're doing 6-12 hit sessions on a regular basis, especially because aside from costumes there isn't a lot worth spending money on besides the per-chapter armor upgrades.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Whoops forgot about this. Never played it but I'm open minded.

If you've never played SMT I'd start with a different game first if you can. (Probably Persona 4 or SMTIV.) The Fire Emblem elements of this game are much lesser than the SMT elements and if you like JRPGs you'll probably like those. It's fun to play but I can't say it is particularly Fire Emblem.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

ImpAtom posted:

No, the DLC dungeons are a complete waste of your time.

It's trivial to get experience, trivial to get mastery and EXTREMELY trivial to get money once you're doing 6-12 hit sessions on a regular basis, especially because aside from costumes there isn't a lot worth spending money on besides the per-chapter armor upgrades.

On the other hand, do get the DLC costumes because they're awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What about detritus, is it easy to get tons of that?

I heard the trader has important things to give you besides incense but it requires lots of trades

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

What about detritus, is it easy to get tons of that?

I heard the trader has important things to give you besides incense but it requires lots of trades

Detritus is incredibly easy to get. You get a spell that hugely buffs the appearance rate of savage enemies and if you use it and Estoma in a weak area you'll encounter nothing but savage enemies.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nice

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So is the fastest way to raise stage rank just to do more fights? I'm in the chapter 2 intermission and I have a couple of quests gated behind stage ranks that I just want to get done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

So is the fastest way to raise stage rank just to do more fights? I'm in the chapter 2 intermission and I have a couple of quests gated behind stage ranks that I just want to get done.

It's important to note: you can do sidequests at any time, not just during intermission. Just keep playing the game and you'll hit the sidequest mark a lot quicker than grinding fights.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

You should just keep going with the main story and focus on using those people. Most likely you'll get them very quickly during the next chapter. It's not really worth grinding for them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh, ok, that's good to know. I got a little burnt out just grinding fights for stage ranks last night so I'll move on then.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The only time you should be grinding for stage ranks is when people start learning Open Audition, which shouldn't happen until some point late within the next chapter. People learn that at around 8-9.

e: also don't worry about unlocking all the side stories as soon as they're ready, I just unlocked Tsubasa's final story and it's way above my level.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 28, 2016

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
When I promote, should I just pick the class I'm going to use for the majority of the game, then pick the other one later if I get more Master Seals?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The recommended level of 34 for Mamori's sidequest seems pretty optimistic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I found all the sidequest level markers pretty exaggerated. I think I was 5-10 levels below most of them except for the ones I was overleveled for by the time I started.

A lot of them are really really simple gimmicks. There's a Tsubasa one which recommends you be level 47 but is probably the easiest boss in the game.

The Mamori one is pretty much "use buffs/debuffs, especially defense and evasion"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I finally did that Tsubasa boss fight and got her wedding dress costume... This is so amazingly ugly it's unbelievable. Like I'm pretty sure they also hosed up the fill tool because it even looks kinda hosed up, like it's reflective for no goddamn reason. Probably the only thing I'm truly unhappy about in the whole 'censorship' debacle.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Man I only started this but

I think I love this game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

are prestiges tied to dungeons? i didn't get enough 3 star prestiges in chapter 3 for all the skills/weapons so do I need to go and grind some or will I still get some alongside 4 star unities in the chapter 4 dungeon

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

are prestiges tied to dungeons? i didn't get enough 3 star prestiges in chapter 3 for all the skills/weapons so do I need to go and grind some or will I still get some alongside 4 star unities in the chapter 4 dungeon

I was wondering this myself and while I don't have an answer, I naturally got the rest of the 3 star prestiges I needed while doing intermission sidequests

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Each dungeon tends to contain prestige from the dungeon level you're at and the level just prior, usually a little more of the latter but it isn't always consistent. The boss of the dungeon will drop the next tier.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

If you've never played SMT I'd start with a different game first if you can. (Probably Persona 4 or SMTIV.) The Fire Emblem elements of this game are much lesser than the SMT elements and if you like JRPGs you'll probably like those. It's fun to play but I can't say it is particularly Fire Emblem.
For sure. Knew it was closer to SMT than Fire Emblem but I'll put this in the "hard maybe probably yes" category

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Man I only started this but

I think I love this game.

I was wondering if someone was going to make a gif of that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Holy poo poo the mid-boss of Chapter 2 does not gently caress around.

As soon as the fight loaded I saw the Snipers and thought "Oh, Tsubasa is hosed". So of course her turn was way after them. I got party wiped in 2 rounds.

I think I'm a bit lower level for it. I've been running away from Savage enemies which maybe I shouldn't do. I might go do some side stories or something before tackling this.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

irlZaphod posted:

I've been running away from Savage enemies which maybe I shouldn't do. I might go do some side stories or something before tackling this.
Savage enemies are always going to be higher level than you, so it's not really a *bad* thing to run from them. If the savage enemies are somehow the normal enemies in the dungeon yeah maybe you are too low level.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I meant too low in level for the mid-boss. I'm only Lv 16-17, the enemies are around 20.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I only fight Savage enemies when I have lots of SP meter. I like to use Tsubasa's AoE attack because that gives everyone a regen effect for 3 turns and can really keep you going during tough fights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I fight Savage enemies every time though it gets a lot easier once you have good SP skills since stunning the entire enemy team for a turn or whatever really gives you the advantage you need to stomp 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

For sure. Knew it was closer to SMT than Fire Emblem but I'll put this in the "hard maybe probably yes" category

If you're looking for a good first SMT game to try, Devil Survivor: Overclocked might be up your alley. It's a strategy RPG: you move your units around on a grid and engage enemies in a standard JRPG turn-based affair. It has all the usual SMT staples like taming and fusing demons and all that. Either that or SMT IV are good first entries to the series. I've played both, but I've only finished Devil Survivor so far. It has multiple endings, too, if you're into that. Good replay value. It also goes on sale pretty frequently for ~$15. Hard to go wrong at that price!

• Locked thread