Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Laurie is great so that's a shame.

"That is a picture of a dog"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's not unusual at all. I worked for a startup that was back by basically a German VC; my company acquired another company (part of what we were founded to do), and less than 10 months after my company started, the VC decided they weren't thrilled with the ROI and shut down both companies. It's really lovely but when you have that much money, a couple million is a drop in the bucket.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

wyoak posted:

Yeah they're writing Laurie out, but even in the real world that kind of loss isn't going to be a major concern for a VC firm.

Oh no! Not Laurie! How will the show move on with out the comedy juggernaut that was a terrible attempt at keeping a Peter Gregory type character on the show?!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

bull3964 posted:

I loved how quickly Erlich forgave Richard. I ALMOST believed the seriousness of his claims.

I don't know how sunny things will be between them. I imagine a major plot point next season will be Erlich trying to seriously lowball Richard's shares.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh no! Not Laurie! How will the show move on with out the comedy juggernaut that was a terrible attempt at keeping a Peter Gregory type character on the show?!
I'd expect her to pop back up here and there like Ross Hanneman which is fine, one or two callback jokes from her a season would work.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

gret posted:

Agreed. I think I posted a while back about how their best play was probably applying their compression technology to video and licensing it.
Wasn't this entirely what season 2 was about?

It feels like they're going in circles at this point. It would have been more interesting to see the company grow (and deal with those struggles), instead of hitting the reset button at the end of every season.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
S2 video stuff was about showcasing how awesome their compression system could be applied to anything, and video was just the logical choice, not the focus. Richard just has a huge hard on for file compression and until now no one has really sat down and realized that there's much more applicable areas.

Still is the logical choice, especially if the client end can apparently be implemented in Javascript given how no one was downloading anything to watch the dude in the bird enclosure.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah that's not unusual at all. I worked for a startup that was back by basically a German VC; my company acquired another company (part of what we were founded to do), and less than 10 months after my company started, the VC decided they weren't thrilled with the ROI and shut down both companies. It's really lovely but when you have that much money, a couple million is a drop in the bucket.

Another startup burned by Radio On the Internet..

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Toplowtech posted:

Netflix wouldn't be the only one interested. The amount of money Amazon would pay to have that on twitch to kill their rivals streaming concurrents would be something. Licensing that poo poo to Hulu, Youtube and everything that provide video would represent billions of dollars.
Of course not. But I'm too lazy to look up who the CEOs of Hulu or YouTube or what-have-you are.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's kind of a reset button, but I'll take the happy ending. :unsmith:

Edit: Big Head is back on the website. :)

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 27, 2016

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Mortanis posted:

Richard just has a huge hard on for file compression

You mean for tabs, right?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Thank god Laurie is gone. Worst part of the show

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Say what you will about Lauri but "Oh for fucks sake do I need to get the secretary in here???" was great.

"So, Monica, should we give this a shot?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Laurie had a few moments. I liked that she assumed everyone else was privy to the buyer being Bachmanity. Other than that, I don't care if she's gone. Her schtick is pretty played out and it's time to move on. I really want Russ back. He wanted to buy shares so I hope he pumps some more money into it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Echo Chamber posted:

Edit: Big Head is back on the website. :)

And Monica has been removed from the Raviga website.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So they hit the reset button which implies there is at least two more seasons left. Lame writing but good news for fans

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I liked how Erlich was able to use his standard shenanigans, which usually end up putting him in a worse spot than where he'd started, to do something amazing. I mean, just by doing a bunch of seemingly random stuff, he was able to manipulate the big players in the money game to the point that he got a parlay with some folks who were ready to fork over millions of bucks. And Richard's standard shtick got the offer raised before he grew a conscious.

It was nice to see Erlich use his... powers? ... for the forces of good for a change.

Edit: it reminds me of his pescepescetarian bit at the big dinner. He requested it just to "cause a scene," and he didn't even have to show up for it to work: the moment his plate was replaced with a special setup, people asked what was going on, and when the wait staff explained, other diners were insisting on having a pescepescetarian meal before the poor waiter had even finished explaining what it was.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 28, 2016

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

Laurie had a few moments. I liked that she assumed everyone else was privy to the buyer being Bachmanity. Other than that, I don't care if she's gone. Her schtick is pretty played out and it's time to move on. I really want Russ back. He wanted to buy shares so I hope he pumps some more money into it.
Meh Russ got really old by the end of his run too. Him and Laurie will both be funnier popping up a couple times a season at most.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I still wouldn't really call this a reset. Up until this point, VCs have been a huge influence on the plot and that has ended. They completely and utterly poisoned the VC well with the clickfarm stunt. They are alone really for the first time. They are also completely broke. The are going to be struggling to keep those AWS instances running to keep the video chat going.

I mean, up until this point the plan was the ride VC funding until they had a viable product to sell. They can't do that anymore, there is no funding and there won't be any. So, not only did they pivot to video chat, they are going to have to figure out a way to monetize it quickly that doesn't involve investment.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Laurie is great so that's a shame.

"That is a picture of a dog"

"You know Jack, of course."
"That is correct. "

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

bull3964 posted:

I still wouldn't really call this a reset. Up until this point, VCs have been a huge influence on the plot and that has ended. They completely and utterly poisoned the VC well with the clickfarm stunt. They are alone really for the first time. They are also completely broke. The are going to be struggling to keep those AWS instances running to keep the video chat going.

I mean, up until this point the plan was the ride VC funding until they had a viable product to sell. They can't do that anymore, there is no funding and there won't be any. So, not only did they pivot to video chat, they are going to have to figure out a way to monetize it quickly that doesn't involve investment.

To be fair the video chat is apparently working really well, the only concern is server space. There's got to be someone willing to license it that would pony up the cash up front to cover server space.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

seaborgium posted:

To be fair the video chat is apparently working really well, the only concern is server space. There's got to be someone willing to license it that would pony up the cash up front to cover server space.
They could also fire up Gilfoyle's rig again in the short term.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

bull3964 posted:

It's a 90% reset, the remaining 10% because they have a more feasible/developed product than when they first engaged VCs. I still find it hard to imagine VC not being interested in their product if they shift to streaming video chat etc., especially if they do change the name from Pied Piper. If the show pivots to them doing a ground up "hey look at this chat program that is taking off like crazy without any VC help" then that is as if the show restarted from the first few episodes and went a different direction.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Are they not going to rename Pied Piper to Big Head? I thought that's what was happening.

I like that we'll probably see Big Heads dad next season.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Mustache Ride posted:

Are they not going to rename Pied Piper to Big Head? I thought that's what was happening.

I like that we'll probably see Big Heads dad next season.

Lossless streaming cgi of James Gandolfini

ed: on another actor's face through mustache technology

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Jared's line asking if board meetings were always this interesting killed me

For me it was Big Head ignoring his dad presumably hours after they were supposed to meet.

"Oh gently caress it's my dad again. He's gotta be so pissed!"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jesus put this show out of its misery already HBO

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Professor Shark posted:

Jesus put this show out of its misery out two more seasons already HBO

FTFY

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Professor Shark posted:

Jesus put this show out of its misery already HBO

Most TVs have a button where you can turn a show off if you hate it. Contact the manufacturer to check if your model has this kind of functionality.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I at least want this show to last long enough for Erlich to turn into Gavin and Richard to turn into that guy from season 1 who died irl.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Uber taking the Silicon Valley opening credits a little too literally:

Uber Is Launching 'Uber for Hot Air Balloons'.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
SVIGBY and I know it's a sitcom so plot items based off of miscommunication are a big part of it, but Monica really seems like a person who would read the sales paperwork before voting.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 28, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

Most TVs have a button where you can turn a show off if you hate it. Contact the manufacturer to check if your model has this kind of functionality.

I won't be tuning in next season, this show is a mess

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

It is, but it's a funny mess. It's definitely not as tightly written or as clever as most fans think it is though. I don't know how I feel about them hitting the reset button on everything. More Big Head and more Monica could either be truly terrible or truly great. The bad part is this definitely means a Monica/Richard love story is going to be shoved down our throats.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Professor Shark posted:

I'm sure we'll all miss you, guy who posted in this thread five times.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sure we'll all miss you, guy who posted in this thread five times.

He's off rollerblading away in a huff

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I will have to admit that I didn't see the Erlich bitching out Richard, and then cutting straight to Always Blue so fast. That part killed me.

I'm so ready for BigHeadChat

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

The bad part is this definitely means a Monica/Richard love story is going to be shoved down our throats.

They said a whIle ago that this was the intention in season 1 until they realized how contrived it was. Richard's really awkward date invitation at the end of season one was meant as a permenant death knell for it.

I actually really like that the show hasn't bothered with the cutesy, someone-for-everyone love stories that every other sitcom seems to go for.

I think (hope) they stick to that and Monica's shift is just a reply to the common complaint that the show doesn't give her enough to do.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

He's off rollerblading away in a huff

He's trying to. I'm just trying not to laugh out loud as he clumsily stumbles about in an effort to rollerblade in a visibly angry way whilst in an office with a non-rollerblade-compliant door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
What exactly would Monica do at Pied Piper? She's pretty much Jared but for Aviga.

• Locked thread