Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nielsm posted:

Works for all mod-like extra content, except the official expansion packs.

At least in vanilla WinQuake/GLQuake you have to start it as winquake.exe -hipnotic -game hipnotic for Scourge of Armagon, and similar but with with "rogue" instead of "hipnotic" for Dissolution of Eternity. I assume this is because they need to use some engine modifications in one way or another.
If you're viewing the original SdS speedrun you'd also start that as winquake.exe -hipnotic -game sds.

With Quakespasm, you just run the expansion packs like any other mod, they work just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

With Quakespasm, you just run the expansion packs like any other mod, they work just fine.

Eh well, you still need the magic -hipnotic parameter to run the demo version of SdS. (Just tried.) Presumably because it's a mod of the expansion pack, so it needs to use both id1 and hipnotic as base games.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've never viewed that demo, so I wouldn't know.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pretty sure "-hipnotic" and "-rogue" automatically imply "-game hipnotic" and "-game rogue" (respectively) with both Quakespasm and Darkplaces (and presumably other source ports), and that you don't need to use both at once with any of them.

Can't speak for winquake.exe, though, I don't really use it.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yah. If we want to get inside-basebally, the parameters "-rogue" or "-hipnotic" do two things: they set an internal flag to change the statusbar display, and they also add the "rogue" or "hipnotic" game directory to the list of searched directories. This is the original Quake behavior.

If you also use a "-game foo" parameter then that will just add yet another directory to the list.

So in a set of arguments like "-hipnotic -game hipnotic", the "-game" thing is redundant.

The argument line "-hipnotic -game sds" on the other hand does the following: set the statusbar flag for missionpack 1 behavior, and add both "hipnotic" and "sds" to the list of searched directories.

=====

Several modern Quake engines also try to be user-friendly by automatically setting the appropriate internal statusbar flag if you only have "-game hipnotic" or "-game rogue" on the command line, because it's 99.9% certain that what you actually meant to do was use "-hipnotic" or "-rogue".

They also allow switching mods or missionpacks from the console with commands like "game hipnotic" etc. (Although switching mods from the console has some limitations, like it doesn't re-execute quake.rc I think? For reasons? Which means that some other config files such as default.cfg and autoexec.cfg from the mod directory won't get executed. I always just use the command-line approach instead.)

Annnnd they also add support for the "-quoth" argument, which sets the internal flag for the missionpack 1 statusbar and adds "quoth" to the searched directories. This allows you to have mods-on-top-of-quoth in their own game directories, similar to what you can do with the official missionpacks.

I'm not sure off the top of my head which engines do all of this extra stuff, but yeah Quakespasm is one example.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 27, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Narcissus1916 posted:

Blood, Shogo, Tron 2.0, FEAR, and the No One Lives Forever series.

One hell of a record.

If you're talking Monolith's track record, you're also forgetting AvP2 and the Condemned series.

I'd love to see another NOLF game.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nielsm posted:

Works for all mod-like extra content, except the official expansion packs.

At least in vanilla WinQuake/GLQuake you have to start it as winquake.exe -hipnotic -game hipnotic for Scourge of Armagon, and similar but with with "rogue" instead of "hipnotic" for Dissolution of Eternity. I assume this is because they need to use some engine modifications in one way or another.
If you're viewing the original SdS speedrun you'd also start that as winquake.exe -hipnotic -game sds.

I haven't noticed any issue in QuakeSpasm when just doing game hipnotic or game rogue in the console.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

If you're talking Monolith's track record, you're also forgetting AvP2 and the Condemned series.

I'd love to see another NOLF game.

Holy poo poo, forgot about Condemned. Even the deeply flawed second game is notable just for being so balls out crazy.

And man, NOLF. I came to the series by playing the second title first, and I think that might be the best James Bond game ever made. Yes, I went there. I played the first title after the fact and its still a fun little title, but the second game really pushes it into the stratosphere.

Never played FEAR. :( :( :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Holy poo poo, forgot about Condemned. Even the deeply flawed second game is notable just for being so balls out crazy.

And man, NOLF. I came to the series by playing the second title first, and I think that might be the best James Bond game ever made. Yes, I went there. I played the first title after the fact and its still a fun little title, but the second game really pushes it into the stratosphere.

Never played FEAR. :( :( :(

FEAR is great, and if you're a shooter genre fan (as everyone posting here is) it's worth a play this year. Not the sequels though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really like the FEAR games. I seem to be in the minority (maybe I am the minority?) that actually prefers FEAR 2 and Perseus Mandate to the others, but they're all all pretty good. Although FEAR 3 is very different and has a lovely ending.

I wish Condemned 2 came out on PC, I want to play the insanity.

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

Just finished my first run of Dopa on nightmare. Really good stuff, I liked it better than either of the two official expansion packs and it's probably better than a couple of the original episodes as well.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

catlord posted:

I really like the FEAR games. I seem to be in the minority (maybe I am the minority?) that actually prefers FEAR 2 and Perseus Mandate to the others, but they're all all pretty good. Although FEAR 3 is very different and has a lovely ending.

I wish Condemned 2 came out on PC, I want to play the insanity.
I really liked Perseus Mandate as well actually, I liked it spanning the course of the end of the first game and it had some genuinely creepy moments.

Don't agree about FEAR2 though, I think it's a very solid shooter but it doesn't pack the punch of the first game at all. And I think I might be the minority here now as I actually vastly prefer FEAR3 to FEAR2 :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Nine minutes of the System Shock reboot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_uJ47oKHY0

The UI modules being physical plug-ins. :swoon:

I expect that's just a recording of a playthrough of the demo that will up along with the KS when it goes live.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 28, 2016

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

They were physical plugins in the original too. You were playing as the ultimate in plug n' play technology, the future guarantees no IRQ conflicts.

I wonder if they're reusing SHODAN's voice clips and rerecording all the others.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm the impossible to avoid melee attacks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Hi the impossible to avoid melee attacks I'm Kyle

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

0 rows returned posted:

I wonder if they're reusing SHODAN's voice clips and rerecording all the others.
Terri and Eric Brosius are confirmed to be coming back to do the SHODAN thing again.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

RyokoTK posted:

I'm the cool looking glowing plasma scars on the mutants after they get shot with the sparq beam.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I haven't actually played either of the System Shock games, but that 9 minute preview looks pretty... dry. Like, it sure does look like a remake of a game from the mid-90s.

I'd probably like to see some footage of the midgame, after all the creepy stuff is established.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm the cool looking glowing plasma scars on the mutants after they get shot with the sparq beam.

Hi the cool looking glowing plasma scars on the mutants after they get shot with the sparq beam I'm Kyle

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

0 rows returned posted:

They were physical plugins in the original too.

I know, that's why I'm happy they still are in this, and with a detailed first-person animation of you physically plugging them in to boot.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 28, 2016

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Hello Kyle

e; Im the inverted linedef

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-27-the-truth-about-dooms-protip-meme

Linguica was behind it all along

It's even referenced in the new Doom, grats on being a permanent feature in Doom lore!

I remember reading an ancient Gamespot article where a reader recalled calling a very expensive official toll hint line and the advice given was "there is no trick, you just have to hit him a lot until he dies." :10bux: a minute well spent.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jblade posted:

I really liked Perseus Mandate as well actually, I liked it spanning the course of the end of the first game and it had some genuinely creepy moments.

Don't agree about FEAR2 though, I think it's a very solid shooter but it doesn't pack the punch of the first game at all. And I think I might be the minority here now as I actually vastly prefer FEAR3 to FEAR2 :v:

I really did like FEAR 3 for the most part, but Steve Niles can't end a story to save his life. I still wish for a FEAR 4 though. No, Online doesn't count.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Nine minutes of the System Shock reboot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_uJ47oKHY0

It looks a little early alpha, especially the melee combat, but I'm liking how it's looking so far.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

I really did like FEAR 3 for the most part, but Steve Niles can't end a story to save his life. I still wish for a FEAR 4 though. No, Online doesn't count.
The ending was kind of a wet fart, I didn't know he was involved though. I at least can see what they were aiming for but I think it just kind of fell apart (and Harlan Wade was an odd choice for an antagonist since the first game established he was pretty guilt ridden about the whole thing)

oh FEAR online...no idea what the gently caress they were thinking :allears: In the right hands you could make an amazing MP game with the license - I'd actively make sure Alma figured into the gameplay somehow. Either she stalks the winning team on a TDM match and gives players hallucinations and stuff...or even half-way through the match she invades and it becomes a desperate free for all, or PvE for a brief moment.

Instead they went for a half-assed CoD style game with Alma being delegated to scenery in inaccesible areas. I wasn't too surprised when they closed up shop and shut the game down.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

The UI modules being physical plug-ins. :swoon:

I expect that's just a recording of a playthrough of the demo that will up along with the KS when it goes live.

I hope we get an electronic soundtrack like the other System Shocks, and not some 'cinematic' orchestral stuff.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You can't have a game like System Shock without a cyberpunk soundtrack. They can't possibly mess that up.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jblade posted:

The ending was kind of a wet fart, I didn't know he was involved though. I at least can see what they were aiming for but I think it just kind of fell apart (and Harlan Wade was an odd choice for an antagonist since the first game established he was pretty guilt ridden about the whole thing)

oh FEAR online...no idea what the gently caress they were thinking :allears: In the right hands you could make an amazing MP game with the license - I'd actively make sure Alma figured into the gameplay somehow. Either she stalks the winning team on a TDM match and gives players hallucinations and stuff...or even half-way through the match she invades and it becomes a desperate free for all, or PvE for a brief moment.

Instead they went for a half-assed CoD style game with Alma being delegated to scenery in inaccesible areas. I wasn't too surprised when they closed up shop and shut the game down.

They should have just trashed that and made an expanded version of the Run Like Hell mode of Fear 3.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
FEAR 3 really picks up once you get to Fairport. The only Fairport levels I wasn't too keen on were the suburbs and the final level. The bridge and rush to the Space Needle are some of my favorite FEAR levels of all time. The airport also has a kickass skybox and good gameplay.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I decided to give the original RotT another shot and I'm kind of glad I did. The first episode was mostly duds, but in episode 2 you start to see maps that make some sense (except for the one that coils around like a snail shell, that one sucks). E2M6 "The Four Way Chamber" was particularly good and stands out pretty strong. It was designed like a castle, clearly Wolfenstein inspired, and things just kind of pieced together naturally.

For all I know episode 3 could be back to nonsensical mazes and mandatory push walls, though. I'll find out in ten or so minutes I guess :v:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

System Shock remaster Kickstarter is live (as is the demo that goes with it).

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread, so:

This moron posted:

So I just stumbled across ICARUSLIV3S' video on ArmageDooM, an early effort by SgtMarkIV, as he puts it.

ICARUSLIV3S posted:

You might actually recognize this chunk of level from Grezzo 2, cuz the makers of that game stole it, cuz they're douchebags. Why create your own levels, when you can steal bits from everyone else.
Oh, the irony.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://soundcloud.com/nightdivestudios/system-shock-soundtrack-zircon-jonathan-peros-ethical-constraints-removed-ss-intro-remix

SS Reboot's remix of the original game's main theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV6EtVTPiZA The original.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mak0rz posted:

I decided to give the original RotT another shot and I'm kind of glad I did. The first episode was mostly duds, but in episode 2 you start to see maps that make some sense (except for the one that coils around like a snail shell, that one sucks). E2M6 "The Four Way Chamber" was particularly good and stands out pretty strong. It was designed like a castle, clearly Wolfenstein inspired, and things just kind of pieced together naturally.

For all I know episode 3 could be back to nonsensical mazes and mandatory push walls, though. I'll find out in ten or so minutes I guess :v:

I really need to get back into RotT. Funny how finally playing the full version is nothing like I remember, mostly because the shareware version had different levels (or at least a different level order, so far).

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Mak0rz posted:

Wait until you get to episode four, where most of the enemies are monks, which need either a ton of bullets to be killed, or 2-3 rockets. The final level is neat in a "pushing the engine limits" way, if completely absurd. And don't forget about the Extreme levels! :suicide:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really need to get back into RotT. Funny how finally playing the full version is nothing like I remember, mostly because the shareware version had different levels (or at least a different level order, so far).

The shareware episode has completely different levels than the full game. And dare I say, they hold up much better than most of the levels in RotT :v:

Finally finished Armagon, goddamn this add-on is a blast even if it relies on vores a little too much for my taste (but there are no spawns, so hooray!). The new enemies and weapons are a mixed bag, the weapon-stealing imps are an interesting idea, if rarely have the chance to showcase this behaviour. Spike balls are terrible. Weapons are fun, if probably more useful for multiplayer.

I'm on the fifth map of the Dissolution of Eternity, but today postman brought me a Quake add-on that I'm really looking into checking: Shrak.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Just played the SS demo, it's great they have something to show which I wish more developers did but jesus christ the ridiculous levels of bloom and post-processing quite literally gave me a headache. I could only play about 10 minutes of it. Anybody else get that or is it just my eyes.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Unfortunately it looks like they intend to double down on the ill fitting generic horror soundtrack featured in the demo. They even want to blow a ton of cash on a real movie orchestra, because that seems like a good idea for a Kickstarter game. Hopefully they'll reconsider, given that concerns that they'd gently caress up the music just like this have been one of the most frequent things to come up in all the places I've seen this game discussed.

They posted a remix of the intro theme which doesn't sound half bad, and I wouldn't mind at all if the whole thing was done in that style, but everything else is AAA horror game 101.

Lork fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 28, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yep RotT shareware and full games are entirely different levels. The shareware episode (The Hunt Begins) is story-wise supposed to be a prelude to the full game, a short mission where they then happen to uncover the bigger plot in the full game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yesssssssss.

Jblade posted:

Just played the SS demo, it's great they have something to show which I wish more developers did but jesus christ the ridiculous levels of bloom and post-processing quite literally gave me a headache. I could only play about 10 minutes of it. Anybody else get that or is it just my eyes.

I didn't have the problem, but I can see how it could cause that, yeah. It's a tad postprocessing heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nah, the shareware version is a completely different campaign.

laserghost posted:

And don't forget about the Extreme levels! :suicide:

I don't really intend on playing these because I know there are like a hundred and many of them are garbage. Are there any gimmicky, entertaining, or otherwise interesting maps from it?