Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cheese-cube posted:

same but only about 1 year ago. we're going to 2012 domain functional in a couple of weeks!
update: we are not going to raise the forest/domain functional level tonight because it is end of month AND end of quarter so i won't be able to change anything at all on the servers for about three more weeks. oh well~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

update: we are not going to raise the forest/domain functional level tonight because it is end of month AND end of quarter so i won't be able to change anything at all on the servers for about three more weeks. oh well~

again, same. hazard a guess: you've got a SAP environment in-house?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4q8ywp/til_that_someone_can_change_your_facebook_email/

tldr: facebook support will remove any protection on an account and give a hacker access as long as their fake ID is convincing enough

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cheese-cube posted:

again, same. hazard a guess: you've got a SAP environment in-house?
nope it's all oracle

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

nope it's all oracle

:rip:

edit: double :rip: if you're using middleware like primavera or whatever the garbagefires are called!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cheese-cube posted:

:rip:

edit: double :rip: if you're using middleware like primavera or whatever the garbagefires are called!
no we're just using oracle. it's awful because the two other it people don't know anything about linux and actively try to do as little as possible with them, so they're all managed by the oracle contractors. we have about 50 linux servers doing various things but no one patches them and everyone logs on as root and there's gnome vnc sessions running as root and it's a huge garbage fire

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

ymgve posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4q8ywp/til_that_someone_can_change_your_facebook_email/

tldr: facebook support will remove any protection on an account and give a hacker access as long as their fake ID is convincing enough
The really dumb part is that 'convincing enough' is apparently just the name, birthday and stuff was wrong. Although I'm not sure how Facebook would know that stuff in the first place if you don't supply it to them ahead of time....I'm not sure how FB should handle something like this. Require proof of identity when opening a business page?

Perhaps not allowing requests like this from Pakistan for businesses in Michigan

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

no we're just using oracle. it's awful because the two other it people don't know anything about linux and actively try to do as little as possible with them, so they're all managed by the oracle contractors. we have about 50 linux servers doing various things but no one patches them and everyone logs on as root and there's gnome vnc sessions running as root and it's a huge garbage fire

1000xSAME. our DBAs are expected to support ODAs but only one of them knows linux. que me getting called in at 5AM one morning because the on-call DBA had been on the phone to oracle all night (it was a kvm fault, just needed restarting in correct order).

biggest sec-gently caress: our customer has been approving RHEL builds without maintaining entitlements. none of them are or can be patched. our senior secops guys asked me yesterday whether we can just patch from centos repos...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

wyoak posted:

The really dumb part is that 'convincing enough' is apparently just the name, birthday and stuff was wrong. Although I'm not sure how Facebook would know that stuff in the first place if you don't supply it to them ahead of time....I'm not sure how FB should handle something like this. Require proof of identity when opening a business page?

Perhaps not allowing requests like this from Pakistan for businesses in Michigan

Woah Woah Woah, slow down there, you don't want to hurt their adoption numbers by introducing unnecessary red tape, do you???

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cheese-cube posted:

1000xSAME. our DBAs are expected to support ODAs but only one of them knows linux. que me getting called in at 5AM one morning because the on-call DBA had been on the phone to oracle all night (it was a kvm fault, just needed restarting in correct order).

biggest sec-gently caress: our customer has been approving RHEL builds without maintaining entitlements. none of them are or can be patched. our senior secops guys asked me yesterday whether we can just patch from centos repos...
we have a "production" dr server on rhel 5.10 in a xen vm when our actual production server, i think, is on centos 6.6 in a vmware vm. our server documentation is a excel spreadsheet that for linux servers says "linux" as the os and most of them have don't have a role defined. like there's a "PROD" and a "PROD (not in production yet)", and it's a nightmare

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

we have a "production" dr server on rhel 5.10 in a xen vm when our actual production server, i think, is on centos 6.6 in a vmware vm. our server documentation is a excel spreadsheet that for linux servers says "linux" as the os and most of them have don't have a role defined. like there's a "PROD" and a "PROD (not in production yet)", and it's a nightmare

:barf: this is too real (exceot the xen bit, im so so sorry). just wait till your org grows and they establish a transition/release dept which will codify the hosed up "PROD" env as "PRE-PROD" :)

every day i yearn to return to the sweet embrace of the crypt.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

try having anything from 3 to 6 non prod environments per app with different names, 2 or 3 different platforms, different release schedules and different levels of support then watch the lols roll in when the project management division demands "complete end to end testing"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Blinkz0rz posted:

e: everything is behind a private subnet with restrictive security groups. it's more a question of how to federate access to secrets in such a way that they're not available to all apps, including those that might not need them. case in point, we have a service that needs cassandra credentials and one that needs mysql creds. there's no reason the app that needs c* creds should ever be able to get mysql creds.

use PKI to allocate, rotate, and revoke per-instance client certificates; auth secrets don't move over the network, each client can be revoked or rotated independently, and your server config can be just validate clients are signed by the CA and acceptable by OCSP

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

they use the same reasoning for TOR too: there are known vulnerabilities so there's no reasonable expectation of privacy. oh and they cite other cases for that so it's not a new thing

it's not wrong exactly but jfc

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

try having anything from 3 to 6 non prod environments per app with different names, 2 or 3 different platforms, different release schedules and different levels of support then watch the lols roll in when the project management division demands "complete end to end testing"

oh you mean DEV, QA0, QA1, QA2, BAU, PRE-PROD and PROD right kill meeeeeeee

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
we only have dev and test and prod environments and my boss thinks we're going to be able to wash our hands of the entire accounting side and shut down all those servers once they move to oracle's cloud platform and he's just going to insulate himself from the entire thing and farm it out to contractors and i'm going to sit here grinding my teeth

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

we only have dev and test and prod environments and my boss thinks we're going to be able to wash our hands of the entire accounting side and shut down all those servers once they move to oracle's cloud platform and he's just going to insulate himself from the entire thing and farm it out to contractors and i'm going to sit here grinding my teeth

lol that's exactly what our AMS team said back when we only had DEV, UAT and PROD. look at us now :(

to contribute: each of the environments is increasingly a secfuck compared to the last. today im going to get our senior secops guy to configure qualys to just scan all poo poo including the "dev" and "test" subnets because lol i idgaf if your server is "UAT" its hitting my infra services kill yourself

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cheese-cube posted:

lol that's exactly what our AMS team said back when we only had DEV, UAT and PROD. look at us now :(

to contribute: each of the environments is increasingly a secfuck compared to the last. today im going to get our senior secops guy to configure qualys to just scan all poo poo including the "dev" and "test" subnets because lol i idgaf if your server is "UAT" its hitting my infra services kill yourself
we have a nessus server doing scans and every saturday afternoon we get a shitload of alerts that the domain built-in administrator account has been locked out, because doing everything half-assed is the name of the game. i'm pretty sure it's not running against our linux servers at all but i haven't looked at it yet

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's that time again...

Bekijk de Tweet van @taviso: https://twitter.com/taviso/status/747804671654264834?s=09

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

It's that time again...

Bekijk de Tweet van @taviso: https://twitter.com/taviso/status/747804671654264834?s=09
he made one with a link too https://twitter.com/taviso/status/747853954940166144

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

It's that time again...

yup:
Symantec: PowerPoint misaligned stream-cache remote stack buffer overflow
Symantec Antivirus multiple remote memory corruption unpacking RAR
Symantec: Remote Stack Buffer Overflow in dec2lha library
Symantec: Symantec Antivirus multiple remote memory corruption unpacking MSPACK Archives
Symantec: Heap overflow modifying MIME messages
Symantec: Integer Overflow in TNEF decoder
Symantec: missing bounds checks in dec2zip ALPkOldFormatDecompressor::UnShrink

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

wyoak posted:

Maybe not using facebook as an ecommerce page and "caveat emptor" those that are dumb enough to do so?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Lol this is older but I must have missed it. This was the sandbox escape ormandy discovered in bromium:

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/741063403985240064

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Cocoa Crispies posted:

use PKI to allocate, rotate, and revoke per-instance client certificates; auth secrets don't move over the network, each client can be revoked or rotated independently, and your server config can be just validate clients are signed by the CA and acceptable by OCSP

that still doesn't really solve the problem because the app has to query the db somehow. we've thought about putting another dal app in front that handles cert validation, auth, etc. but that's a huge bottleneck even if we scale horizontally and doesn't buy us anything over temporary credentials like vault does.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

Maybe not using facebook as an ecommerce page and "caveat emptor" those that are dumb enough to do so?

bbbbut my brand engagement!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Powercrazy posted:

I'm confused on how the guy was making money on the page, something about having lots of likes allowed him to promote blogs or YouTube channels or something. Monetizing social is a mystery to me but people are doing it apparently

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Hopefully this new VPN fairs better than the others, "faster than IPsec" is the claim.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

quote:

Symantec attempts to clean or remove components from archives or other multipart containers that they detect as malicious. The code that they use to remove components from MIME encoded messages in CMIMEParser::UpdateHeader() assumes that filenames cannot be longer than 77 characters.

This assumption is obviously incorrect, names can be any length, resulting in a very clean heap overflow.

The heap overflow occurs because Symantec does the cleaning in multiple stages, first changing the Content-Type to "text/plain", then changing the filename to "DELETED.TXT". The problem is that during the first stage of this process, they maintain the existing name but use a buffer prepared for the final name.

wtf :prepop:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

maybe they assume that the max filename length is 64 characters plus a null terminator, and then DELETED.TXT is 11 characters plus a null terminator so they add those together for whatever reason and then you get 77 characters? it doesn't make it any better but it would explain why it's 77 instead of a power of two

maybe it's that way to confuse hackers

maybe there are complex technical reasons which can only be understood by crack av programmers and/or people with serious brain damage

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
They posted a writeup about some of the Symantec vulns

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

quote:

On Linux, Mac and other UNIX platforms, this results in a clean heap overflow as root in the Symantec or Norton process. On Windows, this results in kernel memory corruption.

Because Symantec uses a filter driver to intercept all system I/O, just emailing a file to a victim or sending them a link to an exploit is enough to trigger it - the victim does not need to open the file or interact with it in anyway. Because no interaction is necessary to exploit it, this is a wormable vulnerability with potentially devastating consequences to Norton and Symantec customers.

An attacker could easily compromise an entire enterprise fleet using a vulnerability like this. Network administrators should keep scenarios like this in mind when deciding to deploy Antivirus, it’s a significant tradeoff in terms of increasing attack surface.

:vince:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Lol this is older but I must have missed it. This was the sandbox escape ormandy discovered in bromium:

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/741063403985240064

oh wow

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

wyoak posted:

I'm confused on how
no-one understands how

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like how

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahaha

quote:

Symantec dropped the ball here. A quick look at the decomposer library shipped by Symantec showed that they were using code derived from open source libraries like libmspack and unrarsrc, but hadn’t updated them in at least 7 years.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
anyone else wanna go with me to get tavis tattoos?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

invision posted:

anyone else wanna go with me to get tavis tattoos?
god, no

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

you missed the best part: first time a poc was sent to them it crashed their mail servers as they were actively scanning incoming attachments

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

holy poo poo

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you missed the best part: first time a poc was sent to them it crashed their mail servers as they were actively scanning incoming attachments

pisssssssss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
whoops, the nessus scans were set up to go to my coworker and a guy who doesn't work here anymore. let's send them to the it distribution group and watch my boss flip out over how much poo poo is busted

• Locked thread