Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It turns out I actually hate batman, I just liked Batman the Animated Series an awful lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ignite Memories posted:

It turns out I actually hate batman, I just liked Batman the Animated Series an awful lot.

Like someone said a while back in another thread, the best part of Batman is the characters surrounding Batman like Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon, Stephanie Brown, etc.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

X-O posted:

Like someone said a while back in another thread, the best part of Batman is the characters surrounding Batman like Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon, Stephanie Brown, etc.

Yeah, Batman is the glue that makes the relation between those characters more like a weird family instead of coworkers in the same field, but I'll always find stories that prominently feature the supporting cast over pure Batman stories.

Also, the supporting characters are a lot more fallible/imperfect/human than Batman which makes them more interesting. Even when Batman's not being The Goddamn Batman, he still doesn't feel like his weaknesses/shortcomings are as big of a problem for him as they are for the other characters, and that makes them more interesting imho.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

I loving love comics

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

DrProsek posted:

Yeah, Batman is the glue that makes the relation between those characters more like a weird family instead of coworkers in the same field, but I'll always find stories that prominently feature the supporting cast over pure Batman stories.

Also, the supporting characters are a lot more fallible/imperfect/human than Batman which makes them more interesting. Even when Batman's not being The Goddamn Batman, he still doesn't feel like his weaknesses/shortcomings are as big of a problem for him as they are for the other characters, and that makes them more interesting imho.

They're also allowed to grow and change and evolve in a way that Bruce can never. That's what I find compelling about the side characters honestly. I mean they're comic book characters so status quo is always around the corner, but there's at least some change. Dick can become Nightwing. He can go to Bludhaven. He can join the Titans. Whatever. Bruce will always be Batman in Gotham with the same Rogues (granted they're the best Rogues in comics) forever. Til we all die.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SonicRulez posted:

They're also allowed to grow and change and evolve in a way that Bruce can never. That's what I find compelling about the side characters honestly. I mean they're comic book characters so status quo is always around the corner, but there's at least some change. Dick can become Nightwing. He can go to Bludhaven. He can join the Titans. Whatever. Bruce will always be Batman in Gotham with the same Rogues (granted they're the best Rogues in comics) forever. Til we all die.

No, just 'til YOU die!
(Pulls out machine gun and shoots SonicRulez. Watches as Batman becomes a series about Batman and his enemies drifting around Gotham in sweet rides.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You can't kill SonicRulez. It's a hologram.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I... I think I might dislike comics now

Like I think I might regret that I had this hobby for so long

Or maybe it's just DC

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

That's super awkward, considering that Batty Boy is a Jamaican English and Creole slur: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batty_boy Surely that's accidental, right? I'm the last person who can judge the cultural penetration of such a phrase considering that I heard it growing up in a small English village when some other kids called a souped up/tricked out cheap car (like a Peugeot 106) a 'batty car'. To my mind, this was because they were trying to have their own Batmobile and/or were bat-brained with their delusion.
Upon seeing a similar car at University in a city, I mentioned this meaning that I thought was local to my region and was justifiably mocked for my bumpkin status.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

Batman is a tiger mom, loving terrible parent. His kids are all awesome.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Metalshark posted:

That's super awkward, considering that Batty Boy is a Jamaican English and Creole slur: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batty_boy Surely that's accidental, right? I'm the last person who can judge the cultural penetration of such a phrase considering that I heard it growing up in a small English village when some other kids called a souped up/tricked out cheap car (like a Peugeot 106) a 'batty car'. To my mind, this was because they were trying to have their own Batmobile and/or were bat-brained with their delusion.
Upon seeing a similar car at University in a city, I mentioned this meaning that I thought was local to my region and was justifiably mocked for my bumpkin status.

I doubt that level of thought was put into the dialogue when the character calling is himself "One Face" despite still having two distinct faces.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm going to guess that the American or British writer who wrote that and his (or her) editor(s) is not aware of Jamaican/Creole slurs, no.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Batty boy" and similar things have also been used on Batman for years. Joker used it in the animated series for example.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Supposedly Fox and Marvel are "in talks" for a crossover and I would just rather they not

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/26/marvel-and-fox-rumored-to-be-in-early-talks-about-crossover/

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If Marvel Studios writes it AvX could be just the big dumb action movie that could help both franchises.

They did amazing with Spider-Man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The source is Kevin Smith's podcast producer, so I don't think that's very likely.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I heard Reynolds wanted Spidey to cameo in Deadpool 2, I bet the studio at this point would at least attempt to give him whatever he wants, even if that means a little horse trading with marvel and Sony.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Aphrodite posted:

The source is Kevin Smith's podcast producer, so I don't think that's very likely.

Christ you had me excited for a moment there

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Surely it's only a matter of time before it's the Marvel Cinematic Multiverse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

"Batty boy" and similar things have also been used on Batman for years. Joker used it in the animated series for example.

And Zwarte Piet has been used in Sweden for years, so people really need to just relax.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

And Zwarte Piet has been used in Sweden for years, so people really need to just relax.

In Sweden "Zwarte Piet" is actually Svarte Petter and its a card game where the titular character is a boy with soot in his face instead of an African indentured servant of Santa Claus. Zwarte Piet is an incredible racist thing in the Netherlands.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That's not even DC's silliest unintended use of obscure slang

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Spanish Nova's name means "No Go", which probably explains why his comics don't do so well in Mexico.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It also went down poorly for the chevy nova, iirc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

In Sweden "Zwarte Piet" is actually Svarte Petter and its a card game where the titular character is a boy with soot in his face instead of an African indentured servant of Santa Claus. Zwarte Piet is an incredible racist thing in the Netherlands.

You've exposed the fact that I can't distinguish tiny eastern european countries from one another.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I feel like making it a kid with a sooty face was almost certainly someone trying to make the tradition less racist though. Like there's no chance those two things have two separate origins.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
What difference does it make? Santa Claus and slavery are inseparable, regardless of nationality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

It also went down poorly for the chevy nova, iirc.
It's a myth and used as a fun cautionary tale for doing business in foreign countries but has no basis in fact. The Nova (as the Nova) sold quite well in the Spanish-speaking markets it was sold in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was never called the Nova in most of them in the first place.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes it was, and even exceeded sales projections in Venezuela.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember something similar from the Teen Titans cartoon - when they did an episode with the character Joto in it, they learned that "Joto" is a slur against gay people in either Spanish or Portuguese, so they changed his name to Hotspot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I'd say that ASM2 is pretty decent when its not trying to set up future movies. There's probably something about a character like Silver Sable that Sony sees that they can do a more generic action movie with, rather than doing a film about a powered person or one with a complex relationship with Spider-Man. Though I didn't think Spider-Woman, Drew or Carpenter had anything really to do with Spider-Man.

Sony's always suffered from not having people behind the scenes that actually likes the original material. GoTG was a real labor of love. It comes through the screen and people respond to that I think.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As expected, the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman is no Kingdom of Heaven where it turns a bad movie into a great one, but it does turn a messy bloated film into a film that makes a lot more sense and is much easier to follow. If you loathed the movie it's not going to change your view of it at all, but if you liked it but were bothered by editing, pacing, or subplots that seemed to go nowhere (Lois and the Magic Bullet) then maybe give it a shot. It doesn't fix major problems with the film, but it fixes a lot of the smaller ones. The aforementioned Lois subplot actually works in the film and becomes important to the overall story. Clark actually has things to do. Superman isn't an rear end in a top hat that runs away without helping when a bomb goes off. It's little things like this that the film corrects.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think in order for a directors cut of BvS to magically become a good movie they'd have to do cut it down and not just add stuff. The movie was already too long, just like Man of Steel was, and now it's three hours. Most of the stuff they're adding should have been in the movie to begin with but there was at least half an hour of stuff that didn't need to be there already.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In other comic movie news, I love it when Spider-Man is just chilling in costume with a backpack on.

More here: http://www.looper.com/17116/exclusive-spider-man-homecoming-set-photos/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Travis343 posted:

I think in order for a directors cut of BvS to magically become a good movie they'd have to do cut it down and not just add stuff. The movie was already too long, just like Man of Steel was, and now it's three hours. Most of the stuff they're adding should have been in the movie to begin with but there was at least half an hour of stuff that didn't need to be there already.

The three hour Ultimate Cut actually felt shorter than the theatrical cut to me because with all the added exposition/dialogue/establishing shots, the film plays out a gently caress ton smoother.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sounds like a case of cutting the wrong poo poo of of the movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That sounds a lot better, but unless that cut magically gives Superman something resembling a character and somehow makes the tone of the thing not completely offputting I can't imagine enjoying it.

It would also have to completely excise Luthor, which is almost certainly asking too much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MrAristocrates posted:

That sounds a lot better, but unless that cut magically gives Superman something resembling a character and somehow makes the tone of the thing not completely offputting I can't imagine enjoying it.

It would also have to completely excise Luthor, which is almost certainly asking too much.

It gives Clark a lot more to do. He actually has more than a handful of lines now. He actually does reporter-y stuff. The other stuff not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MrAristocrates posted:

You'd probably really like the Ultimate Cut, those two issues are completely patched up. Lex's plan in the film is largely meticulous, and is explained a whole lot better. And a huge chunk of Cavill's performance as Clark Kent didn't make it into the theatrical cut for some reason. All of his scenes added back in were really great, especially one sequence when he has a conversation with a woman outside of Gotham PD about the death of her boyfriend in jail because he was branded by Batman. I found it to be a really effective scene that lead up to the first confrontation between Superman and Batman in the film.

X-O posted:

The other stuff not so much.

The Lex stuff turned about to be really great I thought, once it made a whole lot more sense. Him puppeteering the whole conflict between Superman and Batman was way, way better presented in the Ultimate Cut.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 28, 2016

• Locked thread