Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Meowjesty posted:

Still Buffering has Lin-Manuel Miranda on this week and they're talking about high school theater.

Everybody get the gently caress in.

Did he bring his sweet pog slammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

defectivemonkey posted:

The thing about podcasts is that they are almost all like an hour of people rambling on in your ear. Not everyone is going to like the ones you like. My favorite one is Oh No Ross and Carrie but I also completely agree wth the criticisms of the person earlier who hates it. It's just that those parts of it are charming to me and annoying to him. My husband doesn't really like any of the podcasts I like. Just the concept of MBMBaM elicited a groan from him.

Podcasts are a weirdly personal thing and don't get too sad if someone doesn't like the one you like.

For whatever reason MBMBaM has been a pretty hard sell. Present me doesn't understand it at all, but, I guess I listened to all of Adventure Zone and every episode every week for like 10 months before giving MBMBaM a fair shake (tried to start at Candlelights but basically was like "well that's good" but I didn't subscribe) and now I'm hooked and wish I could get some of my friends on board.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just play people Garfield Monstrosity over and over whenever I can and it works.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

PBS Newshour posted:

I just play people Garfield Monstrosity over and over whenever I can and it works.

Same. This is the clip that got me into it, and I pass it on.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Beekeeping and You posted:

:smith: Wow, no wonder the brothers never really talk about their personal life? I mean, they seem really intense about not bumming listeners out, and this is really sad in a lot of ways.

http://www.alisonrosen.com/2016/05/travis-mcelroy/ Here's a link, I didn't see it on the previous page

Yeah, I knew that their mom had died, but the whole story is pretty drat heartbreaking. It's not something that would ever really come up in the course of a comedy podcast. Apparently Alison Rosen is really great at getting people to open up to her like that.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

:pgabz: New MBMBaM is finally up :pgabz:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There's also a new Still Buffering with Lin Manuel Miranda as a guest! They talk about theater, of course.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Yeah, I knew that their mom had died, but the whole story is pretty drat heartbreaking. It's not something that would ever really come up in the course of a comedy podcast. Apparently Alison Rosen is really great at getting people to open up to her like that.

I can't listen to that segment due to not having headphones at the moment, but yeah, I know that Justin brought up his mother's passing in a Sawbones episode about sun protection, as she succumbed to skin cancer and he was basically "We are not loving around, protecting yourself even if you don't think you need to." It was a pretty hard shift in tone.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Do you guys ever feel weird or creepy for knowing this much about these guys? I re-listen to old episodes a lot and basically I have compiled a thorough mental profile of the McElroy bros and their family at this point and sometimes I feel a little weird about that

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Never as weird as I would if I'd been named after them

But no, the same thing happens with the Giant Bombcast/Beastcast. If they're sharing it there's no problem listening.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i need to know so much about them so when i run the simulations in my head fantasies they act and behave like in real life

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think it's important to know just how much molded plastic a internet personality can fit in their mouth.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

zimbomonkey posted:

I'm a little bit older than Travis McElroy so I can claim I was here first.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

zimbomonkey posted:

But no, the same thing happens with the Giant Bombcast/Beastcast. If they're sharing it there's no problem listening.

Podcasting is a weird medium-- it makes folks feel more personally connected with the hosts than they would on, say, television or even radio.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Travis343 posted:

I'm a little bit older than Travis McElroy so I can claim I was here first.

Are you sure? If there's one thing I've learned from MBMBAM it's that it's always a Jack/Benjamin Button/Dorian Gray situation.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Teddybear posted:

Podcasting is a weird medium-- it makes folks feel more personally connected with the hosts than they would on, say, television or even radio.

It probably has to do with that the hosts tend to be either be people from alt comedy, which is always tends to be weirdly honest stuff, or just weirdos who think they should have their own show and can't help but talk about themselves.

I mean look at Chris Gethard's tv show, that thing has a god drat cult built around it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think it's weirder to know about Griffin's need to encase himself in pillows to sleep than details about their mom's death.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

To be honest, I'm siding with the rude barista. They need that pocket change way more than some middle-class dumbass.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I've started incorporating McElroy phrases into my day to day life, and I keep it pretty low on their podcasts (mainly AZ since I only listen in the car and don't drive too much).

It's weird to think that if I really wanted to, I could lock myself away and only hear McElroy (plus cohost and guest) voices for a good few months.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

It is kind of weird to think we've all been listening long enough for all 3 brothers to get married and become fathers. Travis has moved like 5 times as well.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Remember when they used to make jokes about Griffin being a sad, lonely boy :unsmith:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Remember when they used to make jokes about Griffin being a sad, lonely boy :unsmith:

The lady siesta years. I also remember Justin especially has said some real hosed up things about having kids that I hope bite him square in the rear end when his daughter gets old enough to listen.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Travis343 posted:

Do you guys ever feel weird or creepy for knowing this much about these guys? I re-listen to old episodes a lot and basically I have compiled a thorough mental profile of the McElroy bros and their family at this point and sometimes I feel a little weird about that
Sometimes, but I also feel that way about David Sedaris, having read all of his books. I haven't personally exchanged tweets with him, unlike the McElroys, so that feels creepier.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Travis343 posted:

I also remember Justin especially has said some real hosed up things about having kids that I hope bite him square in the rear end when his daughter gets old enough to listen.

None of their kids are going to listen to these shows.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

There is a perfectly good reason why the Mcelroys couldn't find a bright spot to take them out of the doldrums this week.

MBMBAM 309: Je Suis Pagliacci

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Legit I teared up at that. I know what it's like to have a parent with cancer and it's really loving terrifying.

And also what it's like to be in a dysfunctional family with siblings that don't get along. Travis doesn't always make me laugh the hardest but i relate to him in a lot of ways. :smith:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I always thought that Merle's explanation of his religious beliefs in the post-Crystal Kingdom solo ep was basically Clint working through his own beliefs since they all grew up in a Christian home in the south and seem fully aware of and hugely apologetic about how lovely that culture is without fully renouncing their religion.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Scudworth posted:

I hope they all carry on the podcasting legacy while actively mocking their fathers as out dated old people.

In the future all media will come to us from a McElroy production, and we'll be better as a society for it.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

I always thought that Merle's explanation of his religious beliefs in the post-Crystal Kingdom solo ep was basically Clint working through his own beliefs since they all grew up in a Christian home in the south and seem fully aware of and hugely apologetic about how lovely that culture is without fully renouncing their religion.

I really enjoyed that episode. It was fun getting to focus on the three main boys and get a little backstory and extra characterization. I like how clint and justin have started actually thinking about their character backstories.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Scudworth posted:

they will when the My Cousin My Cousin and Me holocast starts running out of ideas

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Roundabout is $2.99 in the Steam summer sale, if you ever dreamed of running over pedestrians voiced by Justin this is your chance.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

they will when the My Cousin My Cousin and Me holocast starts running out of ideas

The Grandkids React to: My Brother, My Brother and Me.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Greatbacon posted:

"So THIS is why grandpa's will requires me to do this loving Paul Blart podcast..."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Greatbacon posted:

Brought to you by The Fine Emperors

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I loving hate Ray Donovan and I've only heard about him today. Jesus Christ, I got trolled so hard.

Edit: actually I just googled it and the show seems pretty dece. Still though, goddamn.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I hope they all carry on the podcasting legacy while actively mocking their fathers as out dated old people.

In the future all media will come to us from a McElroy production, and we'll be better as a society for it.

Well, someone will have to take their place in Till Death Do Us Blart...

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

They talked about Ray Donovan so much it made me think Showtime (or Starz??) paid them

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

myron cope posted:

They talked about Ray Donovan so much it made me think Showtime (or Starz??) paid them

Every time they do something like that, I wonder if they got paid for it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Did something happen that I missed that made the McElroy boys so sad this week, or are they really that broken up about the Brexit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Did something happen that I missed that made the McElroy boys so sad this week, or are they really that broken up about the Brexit?

They recorded that podcast last Friday, so it had just happened.Though I think it's less "we're irl sobbing over the secession of Britain from the EU" and more "we need a bit for the intro and everyone on Twitter's saying the world's ending so we'll run with that I guess?"