Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Endorph posted:

what champ in what role

Elise in the jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Spudalicious posted:

Elise in the jungle.

Up to you. Is your rank/MMR super important to you? If not, keep trudging along until something clicks. If you want to preserve your rank/MMR, take it to normals until it clicks or try someone else.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Xyretire posted:

I don't understand these changes to Tahm Kench. They added +5 damage per rank after 1 to his Q, nerfed his early game gray health conversion + healing on his E and made his health slightly easier to use. And then they changed his passive so that it does a shitload less damage, unless it is per stack? But that is only beneficial very early (1-3% over 0% from 1-5, 1-3% over 2% from 6-10) but then is worse from then on (1.25-3.75% from 11-15, 1.5-4.5% from 6% from 16+). Otherwise it's a straight up nerf to his damage and 20 Q damage at max rank isn't going to compare to losing at least 1.5% of your max health damage (equal to 20 damage at a whopping 1334 max health).

This while saying they're moving more of his kit to his offense? I don't get it.
New passive is % max HP, current passive is 20 base + a % bonus HP. Since it's not super clear from patch notes the effectiveness of new Kench will probably come down to whether his passive functions as base % plus additional % per stack, or just bonus based on stacks (e.g. first auto or spell does not benefit).

If he had to put in ramp up time to get any benefit he'll be even worse off than he is now due to the gray health nerfs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

elise is strong right now but she definitely isn't an easy mode champ. do you like the fact that she's a ganker with on-demand cc? try rammus, his lockdown is even stronger and much simpler to execute, and he can get to lanes faster

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Tired Moritz posted:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/page/champion-update-ryze-rune-mage

ryze update

I don't play Ryze so what's the difference?

that ult is good

:riot: x 1000.

Do they just want the competitive scene to perpetually have one less ban available to them? I cannot believe we're up to this many iterations of Ryze and they still cannot make a balanced kit for him. They really need to drop the point and click root at least.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

exethan posted:

if they just reverted him to the targeted version of ryze from season 4 then they wouldn't have any problems balancing him, so many of the champions they released since then would be fine to choose against him just to kite away

yeah for real, this is just ridiculous now

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand Riot.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Endorph posted:

elise is strong right now but she definitely isn't an easy mode champ. do you like the fact that she's a ganker with on-demand cc? try rammus, his lockdown is even stronger and much simpler to execute, and he can get to lanes faster

Mostly I like the rare occasion when I land an absolute-max range web and somehow can capitalize on it for a kill. I also like her raw damage output, I can absolutely destroy even tanky targets with a single full rotation once I have a few items. She's a jungler that can also push lanes, and rip through super minions which shouldn't really be a real reason to pick her but honestly I find it helps a lot. I hate playing junglers that can't do poo poo for lane control.

Nazzadan posted:

Up to you. Is your rank/MMR super important to you? If not, keep trudging along until something clicks. If you want to preserve your rank/MMR, take it to normals until it clicks or try someone else.

I don't really care, beyond the fact that winning feels good, I can sometimes play at a "higher" level I guess but for the most part I feel like I belong where I am, and I win/lose games pretty evenly overall. I guess I was just curious about when you should decide that you suck at a particular champ and move on, if ever. Elise feels so good when it's good that even when I feed terribly it's not that big of a deal for me. This means my overall mmr will probably drop but I'm already at a pretty low rank so really the differences are probably minor/nonexistant.

anti-magic posted:

:riot: x 1000.

Do they just want the competitive scene to perpetually have one less ban available to them? I cannot believe we're up to this many iterations of Ryze and they still cannot make a balanced kit for him. They really need to drop the point and click root at least.

This move is basically the wc3 archmage's mass teleport which was absolutely devastating in that game too. Can't wait for the Tahm-Ryze two man telegank, then another teleport back to where they started. UGH

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

This is the kind of ult that should be the entire cornerstone of a kit. Like, how Amumu is pretty much built to ult, or in Dota how Wisp is based entirely on his ability to teleport allies around the map. They have other skills that are alright, but the majority of their power budget is tied up in their ult. You could make this ult work, but it would belong on a support.

Why the gently caress would you slap this ult on Ryze

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Unless they change his Q to do a lot more damage he will be useless outside of competitive

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"How can we make CLG competitive"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Libertine posted:

I realize this is in the middle of the patch notes discussion and might get passed over which is fair. This point of offensive champions has really confused me all season and I'm curious what people think or how they decide in their own games.

1) On Mages:
What makes you decide to go Piercing Thoughts/Deathfire Touch vs. Precision/Thunderlord's Decree?

2a) On any carries (Mid or Bot) and assuming 24 in the Ferocity tree (with any of the three keystones):
What makes you decide to go 18 in Cunning or Resolve?

2b) On any carries (Mid or Bot) and assuming 24 in the Cunning tree (Thunderlord):
What makes you decide to go 18 in Ferocity or Resolve?

I don't play a lot of carry (obviously for people here who play with me) and I feel like these mastery decision points are up in the air for me almost every game I do. I can never tell which to go, and I'm always adjusting them situationally like:
"I'm an ADC in a bad lane with no healer, I should probably go Bloodlust (Lifesteal) and Insight (SS CDR)" or "I'm a Mage mid and I'm going to run Teleport, I won't be able to harass well, so I'm going to go Deathfire Touch and Insight"

But these are just my on the fly interpretations and I'm never really confident that I'm right about any of these things.

The keystones are pretty self explanatory in what type of champs they work best on if you just think how they tend to play.
Deathfire is for sustained damage abilities, like dots, short cooldowns or finishing move ults, like any DoT mage, Jhin or Karthus as a example.
Thunderlord is for dumping your kit on someone and then waiting for cooldowns to come back up before fighting again.
Fervor is obviously for guys who focus solely on attack speed and this gives them the base damage to make stacking purely attack speed deadly, like Kayle as a example.
Bloodlust is a trap since the nerfs because you'll be taking less damage if you kill the other guy faster with fervor or otherwise, don't take it anymore.
Stormraider finally is for champions that are high damage but immobile and need to get in someones face and stay there, such as Darius, Ryze, Mordekaiser Some people seem to think it works on Kha, but your better off with thunderlord because he has a reset on kill mobility that is a 6 second cooldown even without the reset.

And I'm not sure where your getting 24 points from, it's 18-12.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Ryze is now skillshot dependent, which makes him 100% more balancable than he was before. Rune Prison is still a click skill, but the duration is based on landing his skillshot q. Again better for balancing him.

Also they gave Bloodlord Vlad the Bowie Labyrinth crystal orb juggling for his dance.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

NTT posted:

Unless they change his Q to do a lot more damage he will be useless outside of competitive

inclined to agree but it's really dumb to release a 100% PB comp champion. they should be asking pro players about design before they ship the final aspects of champion kits because they generally refuse to change them once they're announced.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Spudalicious posted:

I don't really care, beyond the fact that winning feels good, I can sometimes play at a "higher" level I guess but for the most part I feel like I belong where I am, and I win/lose games pretty evenly overall. I guess I was just curious about when you should decide that you suck at a particular champ and move on, if ever. Elise feels so good when it's good that even when I feed terribly it's not that big of a deal for me. This means my overall mmr will probably drop but I'm already at a pretty low rank so really the differences are probably minor/nonexistant.

Elise has a great kit and while sometimes she gets over nerfed I think shes a champ worth learning. I don't play her but she strikes me as a champ that takes way more than 30 games to master so if you really enjoy playing her why not keep playing her until shes a decent "pocket pick" for you. Besides, more important things than winning games believe it or not, if you enjoy playing her you should keep doing it and just figure out how to be the best spider you can be.

Just focus on doing a bit better each game, and dont worry wins vs loses too much imo.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Wait, with that utility ult, a targeted root, and a Q poke, isn't Ryze just a good support now?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The good AP supports are the ones that offer absurd kill potential, so not really

stump collector
May 28, 2007
his damage scales off of maximum mana which means he won't do poo poo from support

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Good luck using Ryze ult with random people, half the time they will walk in or out of it when they shouldn't, the other half the ryze will end up killing his team on accident or on purpose.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I wonder if the range on his ult at max rank is long enough to teleport minions from one lane to another.
I also wonder if Riot's coding would allow them to stay there or wander back to their home-lane. Could make for some interesting plays to double up on minions even in the same lane if he times it right to teleport the incoming minion wave into the farthest forward wave.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I look forward to the first video of someone being pulled out of a 5 man ryze ult just before it finishes.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
on one hand i'm glad ryze's kit is now easier to use for idiot fuckers like myself

otoh lmfao that ult

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Am I wrong or does this not mean what riot wants it to mean? "Ideally, Ryze's skill ceiling is similar to before, and the skill floor is now higher,"

As in his max play potential is the same but the minimum skill level to play him is more than before?

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Nazzadan posted:

I wonder if the range on his ult at max rank is long enough to teleport minions from one lane to another.
I also wonder if Riot's coding would allow them to stay there or wander back to their home-lane. Could make for some interesting plays to double up on minions even in the same lane if he times it right to teleport the incoming minion wave into the farthest forward wave.
I'm fairly certain when minions have gotten into wrong lanes in the past either due to knockbacks or really strange aggro AI, that they always return to their previous lane.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kashuno posted:

Am I wrong or does this not mean what riot wants it to mean? "Ideally, Ryze's skill ceiling is similar to before, and the skill floor is now higher,"

As in his max play potential is the same but the minimum skill level to play him is more than before?

You've got skill floor backwards; it's how useful you are if you're only marginally competent with the character. High Floor/Low Ceiling is "You can't really gently caress them up, but there isn't a lot to learn here"; Low Floor/High Ceiling is "You can do incredible things once you're really good with this character but you are going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuck until then" (like Meepo in Dota), "High Floor/High Ceiling" is "You can pick up and play and do fine, but if you really put in the time you're paid for it", and Low Ceiling/Low Floor is Yorick.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I am so baffled by ryze's new ult and simultaneously reminded that valve couldn't add pitlord to save a small child's life for like two years that I've been double triggered

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
PBE Zac has a hilarious bug giving E unlimited range if you use the minimap to select his landing position

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

PBE Zac has a hilarious bug giving E unlimited range if you use the minimap to select his landing position

Please keep

stump collector
May 28, 2007
hopefully he screams the entire time

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

exethan posted:

hopefully he screams the entire time
Actually he's not really elastic enough to jump across the entire map so he runs from about the middle of mid lane on. Gotta go fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ6Kq0igTKY

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And I'm not sure where your getting 24 points from, it's 18-12.

This is like the third time this week I've made a post in the thread after looking directly at something for reference and then writing down the wrong information. drat I'm dumb.

Anyways thanks for all good advice everyone.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

hey riot can you just go back to the old point and click ryze that despite everyone saying was impossible to balance, was somehow more balanced than any other incarnation of ryze, thank you

Love,

pog boyfriend

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

pog boyfriend posted:

hey riot can you just go back to the old point and click ryze that despite everyone saying was impossible to balance, was somehow more balanced than any other incarnation of ryze, thank you

Love,

pog boyfriend

But what about the COUNTERPLAY!?!?!

stump collector
May 28, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

Love,

pog boyfriend

same

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Aerox posted:

But what about the COUNTERPLAY!?!?!

the counterplay back then was picking lulu, but now you can also pick irelia, lulu, azir, kindred, lissandra, and of course kassadin

stump collector fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 28, 2016

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Where's that scoreboard.jpg at boys?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
How many games with those guys

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
early kill nerf post death xp nerfed teleport heal items blitzcrank nerf

nobody dying this patch for 20 min only farm

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Okay I know I was smurfing but it still felt mean even with a lovely build. Still can't pull my other account out of low silver. rip

Gonna play a game of Kogmaw jungle now

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
you can't pull your account out of low silver because you have a serious mental block affecting your ranked play

• Locked thread