Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

we're old and we know more than you nuhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Ah, poo poo. Although what kind of tech? Even in worse case scenarios Brexit seems to have no long-term negative effects on poo poo like aerospace engineering and the computer technologies that go with that.
Digital. I think the health analytics sector is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) in the country right now.

http://www.techcityinsider.net/leeds-tech-quietly-on-the-up

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blowfish posted:

The early CoDs were better.

Get. Out.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I keep thinking this thing can't become any more of a clusterfuck and yet more fucks just keep getting clustered.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/747777048706351104

Can we get a PM Corbyn toxx thread in YCS?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

thespaceinvader posted:

https://medium.com/@chrisdeerin/why-ive-joined-the-labour-party-f558d01aa68a#.lq9z978uc

JFC this guy is posting this in the Heil tomorrow. I hope to goodness it will be mostly ignored, but... genuinely TIBFC

not sure whether blairite_tears.png or :newdanger: is more appropriate here

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Digital. I think the health analytics sector is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) in the country right now.

http://www.techcityinsider.net/leeds-tech-quietly-on-the-up

Ooh, nice. You'd hope that the healthtech and *ugh* betting companies would survive this pretty well. Can see the finance analysis going to poo poo though. :/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sure, you start it

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

thespaceinvader posted:

Whether this would be plausible I have NO idea but it sounds worryingly possible.

It was proposed by Joe Haines in the New Statesman in January, in an article which contained this laughable sentence:

quote:

You have only to reel off the names of the most obvious members of such a shadow cabinet – Yvette Cooper, Chuka Umunna, Tristram Hunt, Andy Burnham, Liz Kendall, Rachel Reeves, Emma Reynolds, Michael Dugher, Dan Jarvis, Hilary Benn, Keir Starmer, Chris Leslie, Caroline Flint and the Eagle sisters, for a start – to see how much more powerful and impressive a team it would be than Corbyn’s shadows.

At the moment it looks as though they're trying Peter Kellner's suggestion first, but I expect this is the next move.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
That room looks poo poo

Edit: literally, the meeting room

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm a Yank who has been a huge Anglophile/general fan of most things British ever since I was a kid. I also got the chance to live over there for two years, have gone back a few times on vacations, and still have several friends who live in various parts of England and Wales. Overall I've always had a huge regard for the UK and its' people. Which makes it all the more depressing that apparently such a sizable percentage of the people who voted "Leave" were able to be convinced by paper-thin arguments and false promises by career hucksters (and I say this knowing full well we have people who support Donald loving Trump running for the goddamned Presidency of my country), without having the faintest idea as to what the EU actually does (or even what it is, in some cases).

The pound crashing, trillions of dollars lost on the global market, the PM position turned into a poison chalice, Labour preferring to focus on internecine warfare (over Tony Blair's reputation, of all loving things) instead of trying to figure out what's best for the country, Scotland and Northern Ireland considering leaving the sinking ship that is currently the British economy, people viewed as "foreign" being attacked by shitheads emboldened by the referendum...I just keep coming back to this quote from Alan Moore, regarding "V for Vendetta":

Alan Moore posted:

Naďveté can also be detected in my supposition that it would take something as melodramatic as a near-miss nuclear conflict to nudge Britain towards fascism...

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

You start it.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
Corbyn - Does he want the UK to be a member of the EU?
Yes - please stay as leader of the labour party and get on with the EU bit.
No - Go join Boris and burn in hell

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Tesseraction posted:

I fought in WW2

Medal of Honor: Frontline

yeah but you always picked to play as the nazi's so

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Sewer Adventure posted:

Got trolled so hard by a fascist relative posting this picture on Facebook. I never reply to this poo poo normally. Ugh.

I know others have already said similar things, but just ask them what unit they were in.

Then point them at Harry Leslie Smith, a man who actually did serve and has plenty to say about how the piggybacking generation that came after him really have stolen the future from the young.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

https://medium.com/@chrisdeerin/why-ive-joined-the-labour-party-f558d01aa68a#.lq9z978uc

JFC this guy is posting this in the Heil tomorrow. I hope to goodness it will be mostly ignored, but... genuinely TIBFC

quote:

A painful situation has been made exponentially worse by the abomination that is Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership of the official Opposition. When the country demands a serious figure to hold the smoking remnants of the Government to account, it is presented with a clown: a sinister little man who half-heartedly campaigned for Remain and who is rumoured to have voted Leave; a man who has lost almost his entire shadow cabinet in the past few days due to his blatant unfitness for the job, who yesterday lost a no-confidence vote among his own MPs by 172 votes to 40, who is arrogant enough to stay on regardless, and shameless enough to compare attempts to force him out to the terrible killing of Jo Cox.

This resonates with me.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

The thing they could arguably do would be to effectively secede from Corbyn, form a new party with their own leadership, and argue that they should keep the Short money and Union contributions as the opposition.

Whether this would be plausible I have NO idea but it sounds worryingly possible.

Won't happen because they know there's no way most of them will win without the red rosette.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm a Yank who has been a huge Anglophile/general fan of most things British ever since I was a kid. I also got the chance to live over there for two years, have gone back a few times on vacations, and still have several friends who live in various parts of England and Wales. Overall I've always had a huge regard for the UK and its' people. Which makes it all the more depressing that apparently such a sizable percentage of the people who voted "Leave" were able to be convinced by paper-thin arguments and false promises by career hucksters (and I say this knowing full well we have people who support Donald loving Trump running for the goddamned Presidency of my country), without having the faintest idea as to what the EU actually does (or even what it is, in some cases).

The pound crashing, trillions of dollars lost on the global market, the PM position turned into a poison chalice, Labour preferring to focus on internecine warfare (over Tony Blair's reputation, of all loving things) instead of trying to figure out what's best for the country, Scotland and Northern Ireland considering leaving the sinking ship that is currently the British economy, people viewed as "foreign" being attacked by shitheads emboldened by the referendum...I just keep coming back to this quote from Alan Moore, regarding "V for Vendetta":

The obvious V for Vendetta analogy with Farage has been being mentioned for years, tbh, especially given how much the leader in the comic looks like him.

Pissflaps posted:

This resonates with me.
Pissflaps identifies with Daily Mail writer in nobody is surprised shocker.

Noxville posted:

Won't happen because they know there's no way most of them will win without the red rosette.

I'm assuming they'd keep the red rosette and call themselves True Labour or something.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 28, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I just keep coming back to this quote from Alan Moore, regarding "V for Vendetta":

This also resonates with me. V for Vendetta, man what a movie.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, that's what I've been seeing. Only pro-Corbyn piece has been Good Egg Gaby Hinsliff: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/28/labours-left-waited-decades-for-jeremy-corbyn-wont-give-up-without-fight

Even Zoe Williams abandoned Corbs.

Williams is useless and contrarian. I remember years ago when she wrote for the Standard. All of her volume were about getting pissed, shagging randoms and returning home without her draws.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sion posted:

yeah but you always picked to play as the nazi's so

you can't in Frontline, oddly dedicated replier

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

thespaceinvader posted:

What makes you think a second time would make any difference when the first one persuaded them of nothing more than the efficacy of spending 9 months doing nothing but briefing against him and planning an ineffectual coup that only served to damage their party and their country at the worst loving possible time?

Because the Unions are making rumblings about seriously pushing for Mandatory Reselection and actual Deselections are happening now. The Membership is getting sick of their poo poo and nothing scares these fucks more than the idea they'll lose their seats.

They can only gently caress about with their voters so much, before the cries of everyone telling them to just gently caress off get through.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

Williams is useless and contrarian. I remember years ago when she wrote for the Standard. All of her volume were about getting pissed, shagging randoms and returning home without her draws.

sounds like a lass m8

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I know others have already said similar things, but just ask them what unit they were in.

Then point them at Harry Leslie Smith, a man who actually did serve and has plenty to say about how the piggybacking generation that came after him really have stolen the future from the young.

Nice. This guy is the old person I want to be.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Haha has the UKMT gone over Martin McGuiness and the Queen today?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
ah yes that man better get on the right side of things

- labour party members too busy shooting their own feet

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sewer Adventure posted:

Got trolled so hard by a fascist relative posting this picture on Facebook. I never reply to this poo poo normally. Ugh.

Yes, really; if those guys who weren't you hadn't beaten Germany, we'd be part of a solidly untied [fascist German] Europe right now. So :fut:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Sewer Adventure posted:

You know, I would be pretty interested in seeing how people old enough to have actually fought in or remember living through through WWII voted compared to the rest of the 65+ demographic they're lumped together with.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
My old grandparents voted to remain and they were in the war. Their reasoning was "well, if it ain't broke..."

95 and 91 btw.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fans posted:

Because the Unions are making rumblings about seriously pushing for Mandatory Reselection and actual Deselections are happening now. The Membership is getting sick of their poo poo and nothing scares these fucks more than the idea they'll lose their seats.

They can only gently caress about with their voters so much, before the cries of everyone telling them to just gently caress off get through.

Source on the bolded section?

The concern is that the people not following this with the laserlike focus of the UKMT regular probably don't get the nuance, I've already had a conversation with a vaguely leftie but not politically aware colleage which began 'but shouldn't he just resign'...

He wins the next leadership election, but the message is inevitably getting through to the public at large, and it's 'loving hell the labour party is stupid right now'. If the PLP were to split in high dudgeon at Corbyn's intransigence they would inevitably take some voters with them, and make it less likely for the Tories to be beaten.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bryter posted:

You know, I would be pretty interested in seeing how people old enough to have actually fought in or remember living through through WWII voted compared to the rest of the 65+ demographic they're lumped together with.

My uncle voted Leave, but he's the kind of elderly Tory that liked Sarah Palin because she was a bit fruity

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Someone posted that greatest generation shite and I did some terrible maths about it;

Given that to have fought in WWII, a person voting in the referendum would need to be 85+, and that the number of people in the UK of that age is 1.5m, and that the percentage of the population in 1945 who were members of the Armed Forces was 10%, and assuming a similar rate of survivors to 2016 (which given what they fought through, is sadly probably high) giving you 150,000, and applying the polling turnout by demographics at 75% for over 65's, and the widely publicised voting intention of that group at 61/39 Leave/Remain, you end up with just under 70k people who voted Leave who possibly fought in WWII, out of 17,410,742. Or 0.4%. Maybe 0.5% if you fancy rounding up, but probably much lower given that a 16 year old in 1945 would be 87 now.

The Greatest Generation aren't the reason we left the EU, the selfish majority of their Baby Boomer children are.

No sources because no one who'd share a macro like that would ever read one

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How hosed are the Brits if they can't come to a deal with the EU over access to the market? Mainly because they want immigration control.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pissflaps posted:

This resonates with me.

"Seriousness" lol

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Bryter posted:

I know a woman in her 90s whose husband was an officer in the navy in ww2. I know she voted remain and i'll be seeing her for lunch next week. Will ask her if I remember.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

This also resonates with me. V for Vendetta, man what a movie.
This one's a bit too obvious me old China, and also slightly the wrong bait for this thread I think.

Unless Alan Moore actually posts here, in which case you might be on to a winner.

Hollismason posted:

How hosed are the Brits if they can't come to a deal with the EU over access to the market? Mainly because they want immigration control.
No one knows.

It's unlikely to happen. We'll just have to bend over for it, and they'll try to hide the grisly details from the electorate *cough*no controls on immigration*cough*

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 28, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ShredsYouSay posted:

My old grandparents voted to remain and they were in the war. Their reasoning was "well, if it ain't broke..."

95 and 91 btw.

My grandmother who died when I was ten was an au pair to a German Jewish family until 1938. The family were annihilated in the holocaust, and she could never speak to a German person again for the rest of her life.

But she was still firmly pro-EU because she recognised that this wasn't about her, it was about long-term peace and stability for her children and her grandchildren. Sadly, it won't be for her first great grandchild, born last year :(

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

Source on the bolded section?

The concern is that the people not following this with the laserlike focus of the UKMT regular probably don't get the nuance, I've already had a conversation with a vaguely leftie but not politically aware colleage which began 'but shouldn't he just resign'...

He wins the next leadership election, but the message is inevitably getting through to the public at large, and it's 'loving hell the labour party is stupid right now'. If the PLP were to split in high dudgeon at Corbyn's intransigence they would inevitably take some voters with them, and make it less likely for the Tories to be beaten.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/angela-eagle-backs-jeremy-corbyn-labour-leadership-motion-of-no-confidence_uk_5772a5d8e4b08d2c563a1dea

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

sure, you start it

Why? I'm not delusional enough to think Corbyn is fit to lead, much less that he has a snowball's chance in hell of leading Labour to a win in the next(or any) general election.

You claim to believe that, so you should be eager to show your support for Corbyn by toxxing for him. It'll be a bad decision, but you voted Leave so you seem to be comfortable making those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That;s not a deselection, it's a CLP sending a letter to their MP asking her not to be an idiot.

I could see deselection following, but it can't usefully happen until the next GE unfortunately.

• Locked thread