Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Davros1 posted:

Here's Punk attempting to put an armbar submission on someone not fighting him:

This doesn't inspire much confidence, does it?

Hmmmm not seeing the problem, maybe if you added a bunch of buttzooms and rapid cuts so I can see where you're coming from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bluedeanie posted:

The UFC isn't in the business of trying to gently caress with the WWE in any meaningful way, so the fact that it's the sort of thing that Vince McMahon would get irrationally upset about is all the more reason that is not a deliberate choice on the UFC's part.

There is no possible way Vince even knows or is aware of that factoid

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Cavauro posted:

i'm creating a film called 'the problems that arise when one person is arguing based on one meaning of a single word and everyone else is talking about that word solely in the context that it's been used all along on this subject' and its going to be gooder than most

i feel like ive seen it 1000 times

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

The full pro wrestling schedule was too much for Lesnar and the training is rough too. Training for BJJ people won't go out of their way to injure you to see if you're still "man enough" for it.

I thought what got Lesnar out of wrestling was how much he hates the traveling.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I thought what got Lesnar out of wrestling was how much he hates the traveling.

There's that, but after that last podcast he did with Austin a year or so ago, I actually think he has some sort of weird crippling social anxiety and doing it a few times a year instead of daily keeps him from losing his poo poo.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Tr33 posted:

There's that, but after that last podcast he did with Austin a year or so ago, I actually think he has some sort of weird crippling social anxiety and doing it a few times a year instead of daily keeps him from losing his poo poo.

I don't know about social anxiety but holy poo poo did Lesnar love vodka and pills by the bucketful

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I don't know about social anxiety but holy poo poo did Lesnar love vodka and pills by the bucketful

Maybe one's related to the other.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Heavy Metal posted:

I just found it of note that it seemed everybody was saying Punk is old but not Brock. Granted Brock has a lot more going for him, just seemed like an observation to make. If it helps, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

While I'm defending Punk for no real reason, I find it odd people keep saying "he's of course not at all a naturally gifted athlete". Seen a few posts saying something like that. I mean, I think doing a springboard move where you jump, balance on the top rope, then catapult your body flying through the air and stuff, that's athletic. And having cardio to last for 30 minutes picking up huge people etc. Just saying.

Brock is in fact old. People are assuming he will lose to Mark Hunt (who is older, but his skill set ages better.) Brock is older than average in an old division.

Punk is much older than average in a younger, more talented division. Wrestling may be athletic, but Punk was never the smoothest, most coordinated wrestler. He has no athletic background in combat sports to speak of. Punk also wasn't really a cardio machine and let's not pretend he was a power wrestler who actually picked people up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

How many times will Punk's fight be restarted because an attack from full mount stalls out?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Its not even that hes super old, theres a bunch of fighters at WW that are in their mid 30's including the champ, and MMA has a lot of older athletes compared to other sports, its that hes old to be just starting to train now. Dont worry old guy in the thread you arent that old

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

coconono posted:

How many times will Punk's fight be restarted because an attack from full mount stalls out?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
He probably knows how to apply an armbar now

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

DannoMack posted:

He probably knows how to apply an armbar now

Against a resisting opponent, I'm not so sure.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Mark Hunt (who is older, but his skill set ages better.)
Getting hit in the head and smiling about it?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Halloween Jack posted:

Getting hit in the head and smiling about it?

Punching lips off faces

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Chris Jericho knows 1,004 holds and 502 of them are armbars so he would probably be good at MMA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

manyak posted:

Its not even that hes super old, theres a bunch of fighters at WW that are in their mid 30's including the champ, and MMA has a lot of older athletes compared to other sports, its that hes old to be just starting to train now. Dont worry old guy in the thread you arent that old

He needs to embrace that he's old and going to die soon. I know I have.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

Chris Jericho knows 1,004 holds and 502 of them are armbars so he would probably be good at MMA

LOL!!!!!!!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I bet Chris Jericho would whoop up on Punk in a MMA match.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/28/12053110/cm-punk-says-its-not-far-fetched-for-him-to-believe-he-can-earn-a

It is kinda farfetched

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Let Bisping defend against CM Punk, in fact just cancel the Mickey Gall fight right now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I thought about getting back into MMA, only to learn that Michael Bisping is still alive.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

What CM Punk actually believes posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DVD INTO THE SLOT. IT'S GRACIE UNIVERSITY (R) GLOBAL GRACIE JIU JITSU (R) INSTRUCTION AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RENER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN ON THE MAT GOING FOR AN INVISIBLE ARM BAR OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY HAVE WON FIGHTS WITHOUT EVEN STEPPING IN THE UFC CAGE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE ON MY BLOG AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE ONLINE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE SUBMISSIONS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY MANSION LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING OSS. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

mods please change my name to MAIN CHARACTER, RENER

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought about getting back into MMA, only to learn that Michael Bisping is still alive.

Don't diss the greatest of all time

There's no way that's what Punk believes. There's no mention of knuckles being shown to fallen or crying or defeated rivals/authority figures

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Punk is right in that if he starts 4-0 it is probably reasonable for him to get a title shot.

It cannot be overstated how huge of an if that is, though.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 28, 2016

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Punk's plan:
1 Go 15 minutes with Mickey Gall
2 Judges that night receive extra envelopes
3 Punk gets a split decision.
4 ???
5 title shot!

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i clicked on this thread out of a moral duty because it had 69 unread posts, good to see the professional fighting debut of superstar athlete cm punk still excites the mma fanbase

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I would pay an unreal amount of money to see Chris Jericho fight Dean Malenko in UFC.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

prograps fan here chiming in to say I normally loathe MMA but punk will draw at least my money

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Punk should've gone into comedy because I am lollin over here

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

1st AD posted:

Against a resisting opponent, I'm not so sure.

I don't think we'll ever get to see him in a position where he can try anyway.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

this guy wouldn't be a champion at Wild Bill's Fights in Whatever Town, USA

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

"I look forward to proving them wrong, but to me, it's not super far-fetched to be like, 'You know what? What if I put three or four wins together? Who's to say I don't get a title shot?'"

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
It's far-fetched, but sure, Punk could win 3 fights. But I don't see him beating Denis Siver to get that title shot

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

-Atom- posted:

this guy wouldn't be a champion at Wild Bill's Fights in Whatever Town, USA

agreed

I think Punk will get a massive adrenaline dump, gas out really quickly, and cower like a baby as soon as gall starts landing leg kicks and smashing left hooks through his forearm guard

there's probably a big difference between being in front of people exercising with a friend (even if it's hard and tough!!! i know WWE is work!!) and being in front of people and also being in mortal danger from a man who wants to actually harm you and is not even remotely trying to hide it in silly dark souls jumps off hard to reach platforms and whatever else people thing is athletic nowadays

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Punk left WWE in January of 2014. He's had 2 and a half years of constant mma training. He has to be nigh unbeatable at this point.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Can 15 years of imaginary training really be put to use?

It can.

Devil Bird Thing
Mar 12, 2001

Pardon me, do you have a moment to speak about our Lord & Savior, Devil Bird Thing?

quote:

CM Punk said:
"...Because to me in life, it's so cliche and it sounds so corny, so Karate Kid-like, but it's not about getting knocked down. It's about how many times you get up."

I think what I am taking from that is that CM Punk is expecting Gall to sweep the leg, Johnny. When he does, Punk will counter with a Crane kick or some sort of spastic side-to-side drum motion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eat Bum Zen posted:

agreed

I think Punk will get a massive adrenaline dump, gas out really quickly, and cower like a baby as soon as gall starts landing leg kicks and smashing left hooks through his forearm guard

there's probably a big difference between being in front of people exercising with a friend (even if it's hard and tough!!! i know WWE is work!!) and being in front of people and also being in mortal danger from a man who wants to actually harm you and is not even remotely trying to hide it in silly dark souls jumps off hard to reach platforms and whatever else people thing is athletic nowadays

I think he's gonna win

• Locked thread