Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Speaking of things burning, I hate too flammable shower doors:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V336

quote:

Forest River, Inc. (Forest River) is recalling certain model year 2016-2017 Forester and Sunseeker recreational vehicles manufactured from February 29, 2016, through April 20, 2016. These vehicles are equipped with a shower door that may not meet the flammability standards. Thus, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 302, "Flammability of Interior Materials."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm surprised they bother with safety regulations on RV's, they're just big rolling egg cartons anyways. You hit anything and they explode their contents all over the roadway.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I don't know for sure, but I'd guess the issue is more the catches fire while you're in the RV asleep or something.

Or, possibly, the manufacture was outsourced to a Chinese firm and the shower curtain is actually structural.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Number of vehicles impacted: 13.

I think they just used the wrong class of fire rated fiberglass panel. Probably C instead of A or something.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
chlorine trifluoride is for wusses. fluoridate it some more so you get chlorine pentafluoride and then we'll talk.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

xzzy posted:

I'm surprised they bother with safety regulations on RV's, they're just big rolling egg cartons anyways. You hit anything and they explode their contents all over the roadway.

I personally blame Winnebago for lowering the bar by introducing cheap paper mache houses on wheels to the general populace.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've worked with Arsine, phosphine, boron trifluoride, germanium tetrafluoride, silicon tetrafluoride, diboron tetrafluoride, diborane, and hydrofluoric acid in live gas environments. Diboron tetrafluoride is by far the worst. It is extremely expensive to make at around $300 a gram. It is used for ion implant in the semiconductor industry.

Even making it is :psyduck:. You start with enriched B11 boron. Heat that fucker up until it glows white hot, the run boron trifluoride over it which will strip boron off of the metal into boron monofluoride, diborane and unreacted BF3. Then in the same reactor a thermal gradient of over 2200C has to supercool it into a stable state until the synthesis is complete. After which you need to warm up the reactor to -20C to begin to form B2F4 to about 30% by mass. You capture it and distill it using a cryogenic distillation technique using hundreds of gallons of liquid nitrogen.

The hazards with diboron tetrafluoride include being extremely toxic past 1ppm. It also form a cloud of hydrofluoric acid in contact with air. For those who don't know, not only does the acid burn skin, but it also absorbed through it and will decalcify your bones. The only way to stop it is by introducing a larger supply of suspended calcium to the surface of your skin as a sacrificial media and hope it all reacts. Diboron tetrafluoride is also pyrophoric past 15% which means it spontaneously burns in contact with air. So overall B2F4 is toxic, corrosive and flammable to the very extremes of the definitions. Fun stuff.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 27, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

I personally blame Winnebago for lowering the bar by introducing cheap paper mache houses on wheels to the general populace.

If they didn't go for lighter and cheaper components, RVs would cost what firetrucks cost.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

CharlieWhiskey posted:

If they didn't go for lighter and cheaper components, RVs would cost what firetrucks cost.

The problem is people wanting class a motorhomes. The recall is for some class c motorhomes though. There are some nicely priced high quality class b+ motorhomes, but it isn't a bus so its sexy to them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

xzzy posted:

The weekly NHTSA digest email is a bunch of mislabeled cars (tire loads, things like that), maybe one real recall "hey the steering knuckle on this isn't actually bolted on", and then a dozen RV/Bus related things affecting 3 vehicles each.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There needs to be a new Godwin's Law variation involving Chlorine trifluoride. That stuff gets mentioned in so many goddamned threads.

Don't get me wrong, I love when it happens, but still.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It always shows up in a contest of one-upmanship too.

"Oh well you think that is dangerous? Well how about THIS??" :smug:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ_afg_ZixU
My professional opinion is she's chooched.

Edit: my phone posting is the real mechanical failure.

Edit 2: Off a 2011 altima.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 28, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

xzzy posted:

It always shows up in a contest of one-upmanship too.

"Oh well you think that is dangerous? Well how about THIS??" :smug:

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah it's hosed, but still not as bad as the 3 alternators I had go up in flames on my Ranger.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

Not only does it sound like the bearings are gone, but it looks like the brushes are gone too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah I think that alternator's done. The pulley isn't looking too concentric either.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

CharlieWhiskey posted:

And now I have an urge to build an RV on a firetruck chassis. Is this wrong?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wrong chassis:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've been wanting to do this for a while, 1960-1990 firetrucks come up all the time with 30,000kms on them, and go for peanuts.

https://www.rbauction.com/1958-CHEVROLET-SPARTAN-80-Series-Thibault?invId=9293032&id=ar&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2016306

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

Wrong chassis:

This photo makes me happy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powershift posted:

I've been wanting to do this for a while, 1960-1990 firetrucks come up all the time with 30,000kms on them, and go for peanuts.

https://www.rbauction.com/1958-CHEVROLET-SPARTAN-80-Series-Thibault?invId=9293032&id=ar&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2016306

...so do they let ambulances run LeMons?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

...so do they let ambulances run LeMons?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

Yeah I think that alternator's done. The pulley isn't looking too concentric either.

The pulley is also supposed the be all the way down on that shaft. It worked itself another 1/8th of an inch off while I was loving with it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Wrong chassis:

Definitely wrong thread too. This fucker was for sale not too long ago for around 100k, which made me insanely jealous.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

I just watched an auction of city busses go for $5k each, one of them was only $1,600.

Which I'm sure is a terrible idea for obvious reasons but I don't have any other outlets to share that.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

StormDrain posted:

I just watched an auction of city busses go for $5k each, one of them was only $1,600.

Which I'm sure is a terrible idea for obvious reasons but I don't have any other outlets to share that.

How much did you pay for yours?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jonny Nox posted:

How much did you pay for yours?

Why buy the cow when I can get the milk for free?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

cursedshitbox posted:

Definitely wrong thread too. This fucker was for sale not too long ago for around 100k, which made me insanely jealous.

OTOH HEMTTs are definitely a case of "if you can buy two you can afford one," if for no other reason than fuel consumption - optimistically they average about 2.6 MPG, and at current diesel prices you're looking at a shade under $400 to fill one up.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CommieGIR posted:

Wrong chassis:

Chuck enough subs into that and you've got yourself 90% of a doof wagon.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

kastein posted:

Just make sure you get all the bearing trash out of the crankcase and oil passages as well... and the oil passages in the crank. Otherwise you get to do it again! :woop:

:lol: look at you thinking it has bearings and oil passages in the crank. Put it all back together last night and ran it for 30 seconds or so, sounds pretty good. I'll give it an extended run once it's back on the snowblower body and it isn't 11pm.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

http://i.imgur.com/v2zozdhh.gifv

Whoops

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

How the gently caress does that happen? Doesn't the crane operator have a strain or load indicator to tell him it's way heavier than expected?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Not only can I not see that inline in the post (or the quote), but when I go to the URL in any browser, it's just a still of the first frame of the gif. What's going on with that one that it doesn't work or show up?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I don't know why it doesn't work right in-browser, but this worked for me: https://imgur.com/v2zozdhh

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Safety Dance posted:

I don't know why it doesn't work right in-browser, but this worked for me: https://imgur.com/v2zozdhh

Yup, that one works fine, thanks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I posted from mobile, maybe that's why.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It has one of imgur's auto resize flags on the file name, guess that feature is a little fussy with gifv's.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He should have known the second he started taking weight off the supports that somethign wasn't right.

I doubt there was a whole lot in that tank. I've seen 400 barrels that fell over, as in went from standing on the ground to laying on the ground. and they flatten out like a plastic bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Video from further back:

http://youtu.be/Gm2ihqpb70o