Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kokoro Wish posted:

It's more of an aside to the game League of Legends. I mean sure, the game could just be pure mechanics, and for some people it actually is, but like you just mentioned, people get hooked by characters. However, characters need room to be characters in. They're characters in the game for sure, just look at say, Taric and his rework, that's some good stuff. But having them be characters in fiction will also attract people. hell just look at stuff like Warcraft. The story there is base fantasy garbage, but that's now sitting on books, comics and a movie. I have friends that can verbatim fire off poo poo from the wiki about dragons creating the world and it is duuuumb, but people like it.

In the end it's their cash and they can push whatever they want from the product. As it is we're getting cool animated shorts and the like which can and do attract people with both story and character.

In the end some of the people making this game are creatives. They're going to do stuff like produce ridiculous quality login screen music, or write stories about the games and characters as an aside. Also the old lore was worse than the lore now both in quality and presentation. Unless you liked that terrible blog newspaper about the latest goings on in the world.

I don't think anyone misses the old blog stuff with the very taxing amateurish writing. The presentation has a lot of polish because of the artists and musicians and production values so yeah the overall polish went up a lot over time. But if you think the story itself is good even for videogame standards then we'll have to agree to disagree.

The puzzling thing to me is more that Riot decided that the game itself has nothing to do with the lore and that is as far as I know a very unique decision. Warcraft never did that. The in-game themepark MMO is conducted by the out-of-game books, and the books are also written reflecting the lore changes that occurs in-game. Specifically, the puzzling thing is that none of Riot's decisions have ever been deemed necessary anywhere else. Overwatch has plenty of (much better) shorts and they even screened those, and "Overwatch" exists as an in-game and out-of-game thing. There is no "league of legends" and nothing about the game has anything to do with the game's story in any way whatsoever. Hell I've seen people here in Brazil mocking the summoner's cup saying that it's the non-canon cup. If they had a vision for a >good< story that needed that, then at least it would have been understandable both from a business and a creative viewpoint.

I don't think they did it from a business perspective. My overall impression is that the writers really wanted to do their own thing and didn't on a personal level like that they were writing for a video-game, but that is just me. Oh, well.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Riot's engineering blogs are unironically better stories than league's lore.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Riot's engineering blogs are unironically better stories than league's lore.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
rest in peace istvaan and alowicious chucat

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The only League lore that actually matters.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
First of all, stop. Just stop saying that completely. He is not emo, no matter what you think of him. If he was, he would have acted like it, and since I'm around him from the start of the day and through the nights, I would've noticed. Not one occurrence showed up where I would expect him being "emo", he is kind, caring, and happy with everybody he meets. If he were to come up to you, knowing what you called him, he would still try to change your mind, if his smile and happy personality isn’t enough, then he would try getting to know you. If you had any heart at all, you would accept his request. Teemo is one of the... Hell what am I saying, THE nicest person (yordle) you will ever meet, which is why I love him so much... That and some other things, but let's not talk about those. If Teemo invited you to his house, not knowing who you are or what your past may be, and made you the most... Delicious fish you've ever tasted (he made me this godlike fish, it was HEAVENLY), made you a nice cup of tea, perfect balance of sweetness and the flavor of whatever is in there (I dunno, it came from the forest near his house in Bandle City), would you still have hatred in your heart towards him? Towards his smile? Towards the fact he's trying to be a friend without even knowing you, if you do, you have no soul, no heart and no reason to live. If what he does doesn’t make you happy, then YOU are the "emo" and should be made fun of because of it, like you do to Teemo. I'm not talking about one person in general; it's for the people in the wiki that call him "emo" entirely. Quit it. One of you had a comment that had him crying in my arms. Do you know how hard it is to make Teemo cry? For those who care, he's fine now, I had to make him feel better, and basically tell him what I'm typing on here, he cheered up, hugged me and said "*Sniff* Thanks, love. That guy was a real jerk..." If you have the heart to insult Teemo like that after reading this, then you are not fit to live in the world of love, and I wish you good luck on your life without true love like mine.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What in the gently caress is this bullshit, I want to lock this dude's basement door

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

what in the loving hell

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

whatever happen to that dude who wrote nothing but kenin related furry poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

league might legitimately have the worst writing in any video game and its lore team is bigger than most aaa dev teams

Not as long as Blizzard exists but it's a close thing.

Elentor posted:

League is the only videogame I've ever seen where it's both the main product of the franchise and the game itself isn't canon.

Overwatch!

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

what adcs are in vogue right now? i have been sticking to stuff where my comfort picks can take reign but that has never really worked out too hot for adc(with some exceptions like cheese picks that people do not have any idea how to play against)

Fluffdaddy posted:

he mostly hangs out in this thread under the username "fluffdaddy"

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

oh man you got me

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

ap sion was too good for this game

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
dumb new champion: (said like the frog in that treehouse of horror ep) every moment i live is agony, please kill me

cool old champ: (introspective, thoughtful) WHO is your summoner... and what does he do

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How do you folks decide which support item to build into? I really like Frost Queen's Claim on Brad but champion.gg is leading me to believe that more people get Eye of the Watcher. Do people start with the knife then swap over lategame to the stone? I'm in a similar place with Targon's on Leona, where I can never decide which one I want.

Someone say some words about support items.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Always Get Eye of the X

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

the thing i mostly dislike about the lol lore is that the lore teams are always patting themselves on the back for making memorable characters but really the art and gameplay teams are the people who do the poo poo anyone actually cares about.

like yasuo is super popular because he's a cool samurai that craps out damage and is super mobile and can block projectiles and has neat animations where he sheathes and unsheathes his sword, he isn't popular because of his backstory of I literally don't know yasuo's backstory

If I remember right his story is revenge.

pog boyfriend posted:

what adcs are in vogue right now? i have been sticking to stuff where my comfort picks can take reign but that has never really worked out too hot for adc(with some exceptions like cheese picks that people do not have any idea how to play against)

he mostly hangs out in this thread under the username "fluffdaddy"

Ashe and Sivir are good utility carries. MF craps damage. Jhin is pretty good. Lucian and Ez are good if you're good at them, along with Kalista. Corki blows.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffdaddy posted:

His house burned down and he sold his account to replace stuff and no one's really heard from him since afaik.

Also Yasuo's lore is one of those "revenge plot that can't ever be resolved" ones. Someone (almost certainly Riven) killed his master with a wind technique and the idiots in his village were like "wind technique? Must be yasuo, well known only person with wind powers in the world" and accused him of murder so he had to kill his brother and become a fugitive to find the real killer. He has some in game lines when Riven ults like "That technique..! S-sono bakana!!!!!!" That v heavily imply she killed the dude when she was still working for Noxus.

I don't know why they don't just use the "champions summoned to the league are ghosts of these people who used to exist" excuse to make the league canon again.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Play Ashe and Sivir

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I hate Sivir for some reason but I really enjoy Ashe. She spikes really hard with IE/Hurricane.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

NTT posted:

Play Ashe and Sivir

ok. i shall.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Ignite Memories posted:

How do you folks decide which support item to build into?

I...

NTT posted:

Always Get Eye of the X

Do this.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BigLeafyTree posted:

If I remember right his story is revenge.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

His house burned down and he sold his account to replace stuff and no one's really heard from him since afaik.

Also Yasuo's lore is one of those "revenge plot that can't ever be resolved" ones. Someone (almost certainly Riven) killed his master with a wind technique and the idiots in his village were like "wind technique? Must be yasuo, well known only person with wind powers in the world" and accused him of murder so he had to kill his brother and become a fugitive to find the real killer. He has some in game lines when Riven ults like "That technique..! S-sono bakana!!!!!!" That v heavily imply she killed the dude when she was still working for Noxus.

I don't know why they don't just use the "champions summoned to the league are ghosts of these people who used to exist" excuse to make the league canon again.

I'd have never guessed this was even close to Yasuo's story going off his in-game lines (which is where most people will get his "lore"). Literally all I figured was "disgraced samurai, no longer cares about poo poo". Also it's funny that they've literally written League of Legends out of League of Legends, especially since a number of heroes still reference that they're being controlled by summoners.

Also that Ryze voice is really horrible. Why does he have to sound like Generic Hero? Half his 'character' is "crusty old mage" and the current voice reflects that just fine.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

that would be badass if there were more character interactions that were not retarded like zilean and volibear hating each other because of some forums beef that nobody ever gave a poo poo about

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Around the time Yasuo (and his lovely lore) was releasing, it was heavily implied by some Riot goon that the one responsible for killing him was Ao Shin, then an evil wind serpent whose development was hyped. Given he never got to exist, it'd be interesting to see who (if anyone, ever) becomes the bad guy in this tale.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igs2WQmhgzg
Still the best MOBA lore out there.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Mikujin posted:

Around the time Yasuo (and his lovely lore) was releasing, it was heavily implied by some Riot goon that the one responsible for killing him was Ao Shin, then an evil wind serpent whose development was hyped. Given he never got to exist, it'd be interesting to see who (if anyone, ever) becomes the bad guy in this tale.

No one, they'll retcon it to protect their innocent baby just like how they changed "Twisted Fate openly betrays Graves for his own gain" to "well really it was graves' fault for being stubborn!" because some lore writer likes TF and didn't want him to be a bad guy. The master will have turned out to be trying to master Yasuo's technique and accidentally killed himself with it and Yasuo will dramatically blame himself.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Few questions on building Jhin.

I've seen a few high tier players go Ghostblade / Duskblade, is there usually a reason for this (IE: comp specific)? Also in general is it best to go ER or IE first?

:Edit: Cheeky Draven build suggestions request also

maev fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 29, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You see Goatblade on a lot of carries because it's an extremely efficient source of AD/CDR/Apen/ASpd with an incredibly nice build path.

Duckblade on Jihn is a little more situational; the cooldown on the passive is rough, but if the enemy team is one you can get away with running up to land red execution shots on it can be extremely punishing, and it has the same pleasant build plus GB has. The lack of attack speed also doesn't hurt Jihn due to his fixed-attack gimmick and the fact that DB provides movespeed to make up for it.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 29, 2016

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Mikujin posted:

I still think it would be hilarious if it was just a stray Janna tornado, but I know the Riot writers would never do that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tyty posted:

I still think it would be hilarious if it was just a stray Janna tornado, but I know the Riot writers would never do that.

Well the best lore ever written so far has been the implication Rammus sleep-demolished some ancient holy temple or something so it's possible

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

a medical mystery posted:

Well the best lore ever written so far has been the implication Rammus sleep-demolished some ancient holy temple or something so it's possible

The new rammus lore is the only good lore in the game. Bro just rolls around, steals poo poo from caravans, and accidentally destroys buildings while he sleep rolls

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Kench might actually be a playable jungler/toplaner again. Passive is base 1%/1.25%/1.5% + additional 1/1.25/1.5% damage per stack (max 4%/5%/6%) max HP bonus damage on enemy champs. He might still be a bit clunky with the 5 second Acquired Taste duration, but given his relative under-use since they smashed his knee caps these small tweaks are a step in the right direction. I'll probably end up playing a bunch of Kench games later today and give feedback on it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Mikujin posted:

Kench might actually be a playable jungler/toplaner again. Passive is base 1%/1.25%/1.5% + additional 1/1.25/1.5% damage per stack (max 4%/5%/6%) max HP bonus damage on enemy champs. He might still be a bit clunky with the 5 second Acquired Taste duration, but given his relative under-use since they smashed his knee caps these small tweaks are a step in the right direction. I'll probably end up playing a bunch of Kench games later today and give feedback on it.

I feel like that would be good, except we've already started to swing back toward a carry toplane meta. It's a bit late for a tank eating monster.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Kashuno posted:

I feel like that would be good, except we've already started to swing back toward a carry toplane meta. It's a bit late for a tank eating monster.

Played against a Yasuo. Wasn't so bad, but we lost late because our bot lane duo was garbage-tastic. Acquired Taste duration debuff (the old 7 -> 5 change) is still really noticeabe; W range somehow feels shorter; E change is incredibly apparent; putting more than 1 rank in his R feels like a huge trap until you have to (+1000K range per cast is kinda eh when considering that you can set up cast position well in advance, and -20 total CD is also poo poo).

The passive change still needs some tweaking to be done. Only getting minimum ratio on all abilities against minions/monsters is incredibly apparent. Additionally, it'd be nice to see more passive damage front-loaded into initial hits and making it less of a ramp-up. In lane it's not cripplingly bad, but in teamfights he feels like he's hitting people with a wet noodle since you need multiple stacks to do appreciable not-eating-them damage. That all being said, he's actually probably a better jungler now (and I'm gonna try that next) that he gets an extra ~7 magic damage per auto/spell at level 1 (and with Tongue Lash doing more damage).

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
A tank that needs to stick to do appreciable damage sounds right in line with how a tank should work

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Tahm's ult feels even more useless now that it has no passive component, especially since Ryze is getting Same Thing But Better (still can't believe that). I kind of wish LoL had the DotA skillpoint deal where you can just put spare points into bonus stats instead of skills.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

NTT posted:

A tank that needs to stick to do appreciable damage sounds right in line with how a tank should work
A tank who lacks the traditional tools most others in this game come with (ie. on demand CC and/or gap-closing abilities). He trades those tools for the assumption that he can lay on more hurt and take more hurt. The former used to be the case for sure, it's certainly... something, now. The latter is far less true. Having said that, slicing up his passive into lovely little chunks feels pretty bad. Removing his ability to wave clear even remotely competently feels bad. His jungle clearing is slightly better, but still not anything remarkable.

It feels more like they wanted to say "Hey we did stuff to this guy you can play him again!" without actually doing anything appreciable to him to make it so.

Also, having your ultimate be the one-point-wonder in your kit is super loving bad design.

E: Note - I'm not saying revert every change ever on Tahm, but that there's gotta be a better middle ground between "top tier bulky bro" and "absolute shitter," and the fact there was no attempt to find it is what frustrates me.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Bloodlust is a trap since the nerfs because you'll be taking less damage if you kill the other guy faster with fervor or otherwise, don't take it anymore.

That's not true, it's still really powerful on champions that like to proc lifesteal a ton, such as Tryndamere and Fiora. I would say it's the optimal mastery on Fiora now that grasp of the undying does not provide the healing it used to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Honestly, I'd prefer they just leave Tahm in the dumpster forever. He was the most frustrating thing in the world to lane against ever when he was good, no matter the lane he was in, and I would just rather never see him again.

Edit: lol you can take allied minions with you when you ult with Ryze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8mDhD2jWe4 Ignore the lovely 20 second outro or whatever

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 29, 2016

• Locked thread