Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

BillmasterCozb posted:

Yeah, virals are probably the worst enemies in the game, not because they come out if you do loving anything, but because there's always a million of them and they never stop coming..I've fought off virals for about seven minutes just trying to pick a lock in the other part of the game

On hard and nightmare difficulty Virals spawn even if you aren't making loud noises and since you can't see them on the minimap you'd better get used to being smacked from behind a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I've been annoyed by excess checkpoints before but the final boss of DK64 has the opposite problem. It's multi-phase with (thankfully short) unskippable cutscenes in-between. Each phase lasts minutes so having to repeat them gets time-consuming pretty quickly. The last phase is timing based so if you gently caress it up, and I did several times, then you have to spend about 6-8 minutes just getting back to the point where you can try again.

Aphrodite posted:

And the one significant way is to cheat the stock market.

That didn't work as well for me as it should have done. I swear blind the game knew I was saved scumming to try and get the best price. Also I didn't wait until post game like I should have.

Leal posted:

But then you've beat the game so what are you going to even do with the money? Buy property that will generate money you don't need?

Aside from buying the golf course for completions sake the reason I want a way to make good money in post game is to buy weapons and vehicles to mess around with. There's only one weapon cheat and no money cheat so you have to buy certain weapons with earned money. True, I have millions anyway and could just not save after spending it but I want to save the results of my killing sprees drat it!

As a sidenote, I did once set myself the goal of killing 1 MILLION people! I quit almost immediately but it was the thought that counts and that thought was loving insane. :classiclol:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

im pooping! posted:

titan of a job on repeat with goons flying the titan upside down

I like when someone rushes into the plane followed by "What are the controls for planes again?".

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fingerless Gloves posted:

The crafting system is loving huge and it makes me afraid to sell anything in case I need to make some mediocre boots later on.

Don't craft anything but Witcher Gear, random armour and sword schematics generally aren't worth crafting.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Don't worry, GTAV is grindy garbage but they fixed it by letting you pay real-world money to get in-game money :suicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Xenoblade Chronicles is a really good game but I'm not sure how an RPG released in the past 6 years couldn't have an arrow indicating where you are supposed to go for side quests, or even map markers outside of the minimap. It makes trying to track down NPCs who move based on a schedule infuriating.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The Witcher 3 was pretty solid but by God the inventory management was loving atrociously awful. On the ps4 the screen was tiny in comparison to other similar games, and not being able to sort your poo poo appropriately made you constantly sort for useful items amongst piles of low-tier crafting materials.

It was the worst.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I love everything about the Witcher 3 but 3 things are annoying me slightly.

It's a little fiddly to loot things at times, Geralt needs to be standing in just the right place otherwise he'll decide he wants some aromatherapy up in this bitch and light some candles instead of stealing a flawless emerald from this peasant's breadbin, which leads to these complaints :

The crafting system is loving huge and it makes me afraid to sell anything in case I need to make some mediocre boots later on.

There is so much loot, I need to grab it all at all times oh god

Just don't sell anything in the crafting or alchemy tabs. In general, if it's not in those categories, it isn't needed for any recipe. Only other thing to save is witcher gear, because you use griffin armor to make enhanced griffin armor which you use to make superior griffin armor etc.

NotAnArtist posted:

The Witcher 3 was pretty solid but by God the inventory management was loving atrociously awful. On the ps4 the screen was tiny in comparison to other similar games, and not being able to sort your poo poo appropriately made you constantly sort for useful items amongst piles of low-tier crafting materials.

It was the worst.

Patches have made the UI miles better, even if it's still not great it is a big step up from release. Quick menu is easier to use and lets you change between bolt types on the fly, controllers now get 4 potion/food item slots just like mouse and keyboard, and inventory was categorized much better (although you will still be cycling through all your oils wondering which one of these things is necrophage oil?). Lots of other little improvements like a popup when you get a book or note that lets you open it immediately instead of having to dig for it in the inventory.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Death Zebra posted:

I've been annoyed by excess checkpoints before but the final boss of DK64 has the opposite problem. It's multi-phase with (thankfully short) unskippable cutscenes in-between. Each phase lasts minutes so having to repeat them gets time-consuming pretty quickly. The last phase is timing based so if you gently caress it up, and I did several times, then you have to spend about 6-8 minutes just getting back to the point where you can try again.

This has been one of the biggest complaints about bosses in WoW's current expansion: quite a few are basically snooze-fests that take nearly 10 minutes to get through, only for the last portion of the fight to be the actually challenging part.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

This has been one of the biggest complaints about bosses in WoW's current expansion: quite a few are basically snooze-fests that take nearly 10 minutes to get through, only for the last portion of the fight to be the actually challenging part.

Destiny has the same problem. The last boss of the current raid is a massive rear end in a top hat you can only hurt through bombs he makes so it already is a bit of a snooze because you can't hurt him directly. The fight goes like this;
You spawn in and sit around waiting for him to slam his hand down on a platform. Three people get on platforms to spawn more platforms in the air. One guy runs on these air platforms to get a glowing ball. Meanwhile the guys on the platforms kill snipers that spawn in, then giant monsters that turn into bombs.

Then some enemies spawn in once you get the glowing ball, including big guys that destroy bombs if you don't kill them asap. The glowing ball makes everyone within its radius invincible so now you just stand there and wait for the boss to kill the enemies for you, suck everyone up into a mini-boss arena because this boss fight is so boring it needs its own mini-boss fight to keep you from falling asleep. And then it repeats again. Every phase spawns four bombs assuming you don't gently caress up and let one of the enemies eat one, and it takes sixteen bombs to kill the boss. So it takes four phases of the same drat thing with zero changes, most of it just waiting around, and then you have to time the bombs since if you're not in the glowing aura you all die and if the boss isn't in his vulnerable state you waste them and if your timing is off you won't detonate all sixteen and it's a wipe anyway.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

90% of bosses that can only be hurt by specific things or at a certain part of their attack patterns are garbage

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

90% of bosses that can only be hurt by specific things or at a certain part of their attack patterns are garbage
Every boss in the raid is like that and it's pretty boring, I hate doing it. The first one can only be hurt after you play a three note game of simon and everyone stands in a red bubble and shoots him to death. :effort: Second boss has a face like a dick and requires you to stand in puddles of white goo and shoot him while one guy acts like a sacrificial lamb and distracts him because you can't hurt him otherwise, the rest of the fight is waiting. The third fight requires you to do the same platforming bullshit the last fight does then you just stand there invincible and shoot the two bosses to death since they're invincible if you aren't. Between each boss fight are long segments of platforming. In a first person shooter.

There's another boss from one of the earlier raids that can only be hurt by special swords after you shoot his shield down. So it's literally all just a game of timing since he's only vulnerable for like three seconds. The world record for killing him solo is like 50 seconds and most of that comes from the mandatory introductory segment before you can get the sword. It's the shittiest, simplest fight in the game because if you gently caress up the timing at all the guy with the sword is just going to die, and any time someone dies he summons a giant glowing spirit bomb that kills everyone. This boss is actually easier with less people because when there's more people, more people are more likely to accidentally die and get everyone killed.

I don't know why I keep playing this game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking of raids in MMOs: FF14 after so many effects are thrown onto an enemy it just stops displaying other status effects, and I haven't confirmed it but even only leaving on "show just my dots" I heard even then it wont show your dots. So this has a problem if you're a heavy DoT class (smn or sch) because your dots are not shown and you have to personally count down when you have to reapply the dot. This also hides the status that prevents you from applying virus debuff onto the boss (and if its already suffering from virus from another player you can't reapply it). I don't get why the game can't just prioritize your dots for yourself.

Another thing, especially in recent content. One (of 2) dungeons and the main 24 man raid has a mechanic where a player is hurt for a lot of damage then slapped with a dot that does a fuckload of damage on itself. With the latency issues in the game even if you immediately target the guy and try to dispell the DoT or heal the guy (and trying to turn off cleric stance... which because of animation lock will waste too much time!) the guy will die to the DoT that ticks like 2 seconds after he lost 90% of his life. Also if you see the guy about to fail the mechanic and ready up to dispell the dot, if you start casting before the dot is applied and finish the cast after the dot happens it doesn't actually remove the dot. I don't know why they have such a tight timing mechanic in a game with latency issues.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Judge Tesla posted:

On hard and nightmare difficulty Virals spawn even if you aren't making loud noises and since you can't see them on the minimap you'd better get used to being smacked from behind a lot.

That sounds like bullshit, normal is enough for me!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

Speaking of raids in MMOs: FF14 after so many effects are thrown onto an enemy it just stops displaying other status effects, and I haven't confirmed it but even only leaving on "show just my dots" I heard even then it wont show your dots. So this has a problem if you're a heavy DoT class (smn or sch) because your dots are not shown and you have to personally count down when you have to reapply the dot. This also hides the status that prevents you from applying virus debuff onto the boss (and if its already suffering from virus from another player you can't reapply it). I don't get why the game can't just prioritize your dots for yourself.

Another thing, especially in recent content. One (of 2) dungeons and the main 24 man raid has a mechanic where a player is hurt for a lot of damage then slapped with a dot that does a fuckload of damage on itself. With the latency issues in the game even if you immediately target the guy and try to dispell the DoT or heal the guy (and trying to turn off cleric stance... which because of animation lock will waste too much time!) the guy will die to the DoT that ticks like 2 seconds after he lost 90% of his life. Also if you see the guy about to fail the mechanic and ready up to dispell the dot, if you start casting before the dot is applied and finish the cast after the dot happens it doesn't actually remove the dot. I don't know why they have such a tight timing mechanic in a game with latency issues.

FFXIV is really bad about even minute lag because enemies will frequently have AOE attacks that are effectively death sentences but only have a cast time of one or two seconds, just barely enough time for melee classes to get out of the glowing orange marker. But if the game is behind for even a second then you're dead. I've been killed by attacks I was clearly out of the marker of on my end, and I've been killed by attacks I never even start up. My connection is usually pretty decent too, it's just the occasional usually unnoticeable hiccup that tends to be fatal when you fight a boss or tough enemy like marbols.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just finished Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase on the PS1, which wasn't bad for a licensed game - kinda a mediocre Crash Bandicoot clone, but most of it stuck within a particular pattern that I was enjoying. The penultimate boss however, in the Egypt levels, is garbage. You start each level/bossfight with 5 pies (ammo, you throw pies at enemies) which is generally fine as every boss takes 3 hit and it tells you exactly when you can hit him by displaying the word "CHANCE" on screen. However this boss makes you use the cream pies on other things, as you have to knock invincible mummies into a pit, with ammo that takes forever to respawn so when those 5 pies are gone you're just running around the arena in a panic. Then you need to hit the boss when the barrier goes down, so I'm standing there with no pies left when the barrier goes down going "SPAWN YOU loving PIES, SPAWN!" hoping they do before the barrier goes back up. Happily they did and I was able to finish him.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The thing dragging Tokyo Mirage Sessions down is that it's the first console-exclusive game I've wanted in a while, so I can't wait for a Steam sale or whatever to get around the 90 loving dollars the shithead retailers in my country ask for games these days. :australia:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Since people were talking about terrible "beautiful singing" in videogames, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE has a real doozy. The game's entire theme is that your party is a bunch of Japanese Idols, many of whom are singers who have their own in game animated music videos. The videos are, uh, good I guess. It's hard for me to judge Jpop. But there's one part in the story where one of the protagonists undergoes some emotional growth, finally allowing her to sing beautifully to advance the plot. You get to the part where she has to sing, and you think it's going to be another music video, but instead she hits you with some fairly tuneless "Lalalalalaaa LAAAlalalal LA"ing. The characters all comment on how great it is and it is apparently good enough to break the spell. You get a music video of what she was supposedly singing a bit later.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've started playing Mass Effect because I never had a taste of Bioware RPGs and wanted to check it out, and so far I really like it, a surprising amount even, but one thing that is absolutely atrocious is the equipment menu. It is very obvious that this is a console port (even though I cannot play it with a controller without jumping through hoops!) and everything is just LISTS, and it seems I can't even sort them, and everyone can theoretically equip every weapon class, and every weapon and armor has extra slots to fit specializing upgrades in. Which are also in a giant list.

All of this for the main character and 6 (?) extra dudes and dudettes who I like to rotate and try out each, so the constant swapping to keep everyone's equipment up to date adds another level of inventory nightmare.

Is there a mod for the Steam version that makes this less tedious? Or did I miss some easy optimization step? I just seems an enormous hassle. I do appreciate for example that there are species-specific armor (that makes sense), yet when I want to equip the only Krogan in the party, the list still shows ALL the armors I have even though he can't wear 90% of them and never will be able to. Nonsense!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The entire UI was overhauled and improved for the PC version. Yes, it used to be worse.

The later Mass Effect games just use the console UI largely (although it keeps the paused power/weapons UI from the PC version of ME1) but you still can't use a controller without mods.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The inventory system was still a product of RPGs from that time period. The next game did a giant overhaul that improves it significantly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Max posted:

The inventory system was still a product of RPGs from that time period. The next game did a giant overhaul that improves it significantly.

I would add rather enormous quotes around 'improves' there.

I won't defend the quality of the inventory in 1 itself, but 2's approach to things is so utterly without any form of creativity and customization. I actually prefer ME1's approach because, while the inventory system is barely a system, at least the customization it props up is extremely fun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Max posted:

Everything about the loot system in ME1 is completely bonkers. You're playing a character who works for both the Earth military and is a special ops guy for an alliance of alien races but you have to buy your own weapons and armor and you're constantly scrounging for stuff from enemy corpses.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
ME2 is a massive improvement that let's you make meaningful choices about your loadout and plays type without having to spend hours futzing with stats and loot.
So of course the grognards hated it because if you're not spending more time min-maxing your loadout and backing a truck full of trash loot up to the merchants after every mission them how do you know if you're having fun?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Cleretic posted:

I won't defend the quality of the inventory in 1 itself, but 2's approach to things is so utterly without any form of creativity and customization. I actually prefer ME1's approach because, while the inventory system is barely a system, at least the customization it props up is extremely fun.

I guess it depends on what you like. I hate looking at various tiers of armor and selling off the ones that I don't need any more. I really liked the way 2 handled it a lot more. Less juggling.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

ME2 is a massive improvement that let's you make meaningful choices about your loadout and plays type without having to spend hours futzing with stats and loot.
So of course the grognards hated it because if you're not spending more time min-maxing your loadout and backing a truck full of trash loot up to the merchants after every mission them how do you know if you're having fun?

If you didn't just put together a gun that would cool off faster than it could fire and just hold the fire button until the game ended you were playing me1 wrong.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

It really isn't.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ME2 customization was lame as hell compared to ME1

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Max posted:

I guess it depends on what you like. I hate looking at various tiers of armor and selling off the ones that I don't need any more. I really liked the way 2 handled it a lot more. Less juggling.

I can certainly agree with that as a concept, and the inventory system was godawful, but I find myself preferring the customization it was part of over the oversimplified system we got in ME2. I'm someone that really enjoys a crunchy RPG, that gives you enough tools to really start manipulating the game in your own special way, and ME1's system was actually really good for that. Painful inventory system it may have had, but it let you build your own thing to suit exactly what you needed. My Engineer, for example, had a pistol designed to deal as much damage to health as quickly as it could, to go along with my ability to just melt energy shields. I've heard of assault rifles that literally never have to stop shooting, sniper rifles that pack so much into a single shot that they only ever need the one, any number of ridiculous loadouts. Yeah, it's interface hell to put them together, but I think it's a step back to do what ME2 did and replace it entirely.

The same sort of permitted creativity is why I love Final Fantasy V and the Shin Megami Tensei series, and is a big part of why I think Oblivion is better than Skyrim. I know what I like, I'm just sad I'm in the minority.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I like fiddling around with poo poo to find crazy cool setups and am playing FFV right now, but ME1 seems to make it so incredibly unfun to move stuff around that I probably won't bother too much until I find something obviously good, then not exchange that for the next 10 hours of playtime. Putting on the Elven Mantle in FFV every time you change abilities is cumbersome, but so far less bad than ME1's inventory, it just doesn't compare.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Look, to be honest, I played ME in order to be a vanguard that pain trains everything into oblivion. I didn't want to bother with anything that got in the way of it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

People played any of the ME games for the combat?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I can certainly agree with that as a concept, and the inventory system was godawful, but I find myself preferring the customization it was part of over the oversimplified system we got in ME2. I'm someone that really enjoys a crunchy RPG, that gives you enough tools to really start manipulating the game in your own special way, and ME1's system was actually really good for that. Painful inventory system it may have had, but it let you build your own thing to suit exactly what you needed. My Engineer, for example, had a pistol designed to deal as much damage to health as quickly as it could, to go along with my ability to just melt energy shields. I've heard of assault rifles that literally never have to stop shooting, sniper rifles that pack so much into a single shot that they only ever need the one, any number of ridiculous loadouts. Yeah, it's interface hell to put them together, but I think it's a step back to do what ME2 did and replace it entirely.

The same sort of permitted creativity is why I love Final Fantasy V and the Shin Megami Tensei series, and is a big part of why I think Oblivion is better than Skyrim. I know what I like, I'm just sad I'm in the minority.

It's really just those two.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Jia posted:

I enjoyed it at the time, but my gripe was the mistake of playing the sniper-hacker combo and learning that pistols were the best weapon for the class if not the whole game due to rof, stopping power and accuracy. Never bothered playing another class to see what heavy armor and assault weapons were like.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Zero Time Dilemma's great voice acting writes a check that the lovely character models just can't cash.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I'm playing Darksiders 2 and the Kingdom of the Dead is just such a bland, boring area that's essentially a grey wasteland. I know it's a barren lifeless land, but every dungeon is just so generically ''ruined castle'' that it feels phoned in in comparison to the lush area you previously explore. The fact that the camera is garbage and the mini map lacks a North orientation makes exploration super frustrating at times.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Jun 29, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Quote is not edit whoops

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

I enjoyed it at the time, but my gripe was the mistake of playing the sniper-hacker combo and learning that pistols were the best weapon for the class if not the whole game due to rof, stopping power and accuracy. Never bothered playing another class to see what heavy armor and assault weapons were like.
lol I'm playing an Infiltrator (that IS the sniper-hacker combo) and snipe all the time

We'll see how it goes, haha

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Vanguard is the only class I play now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
ME1's entire economy is also completely broken in part thanks to the scaling loot. Like, it's entirely possible to encounter a quest that offers a 400 credit reward when you're rocking guns that cost a million credits apiece, and it gets even sillier on New Game+ playthroughs.

Jia posted:

The shooting and tactics are both really satisfying and balanced so long as you don't play on the higher difficulties that slap three layers of armor and shields on every enemy.

If you want to see what a bad version of ME's combat looks like and appreciate everything it gets right, play the awful XCOM shooter.