Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think Victoria looks the least weird of the three we've seen actually.

Cythereal posted:

Unfortunately, one Firaxis dev already referred to Gandhi in an interview, so I suspect we're stuck with him.

Can you link this? All the interviews I've seen have had some very careful wording about unconfirmed things like Gandhi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

toasterwarrior posted:

A war-like Indian leader would be a really cool way to turn the usual Civilization trope on its head.
Another reason I think Chandragupta Maurya would be a great choice.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How would you make this fun, though? I mean, you can easily make a civ where their "special abilities" are that they're worse at various things than normal, but is that really going to make the game more fun?

I suppose it would be fun in the same way intentionally nerfing yourself to provide a greater challenge is fun - something you'd do only when you were bored with the regular game. Kinda like the one-city challenge, but instead it's a bad-leader challenge.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How would you make this fun, though? I mean, you can easily make a civ where their "special abilities" are that they're worse at various things than normal, but is that really going to make the game more fun?

"X civ is good at everything but Y" is arguably a more interesting approach to civ design than "X civ is good at Y." I think giving well-rounded bonuses with obvious holes is the best approach, but mechanically the effect is pretty much the same except that balancing around penalties is vastly easier since there are fewer moving parts. Psychologically, most players are whiny babies but you might be able to get away with it by keeping the tone deliberately lighthearted with a cast of known fuckups.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Depends on the kind of penalty, though. Both India and Venice have penalties in Civ V, but they don't become apparent if you stick to Tall. These are the interesting kind of penalties that you have to adjust your strategy to work around them. Penalties like -25% gold because the leader loved extravagant orgies would be terrible.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sounds like England feels more "British" than "English". Why can't they just call it Britain? They don't want to preempt a Celtic civ?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Echo Chamber posted:

Sounds like England feels more "British" than "English". Why can't they just call it Britain? They don't want to preempt a Celtic civ?

The Japanese leader for this game predates Japan as a nation. You can't take their choices literally.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's always been England in Civ, even when though it obviously covers Great Britain/ the British Empire as well.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

RagnarokAngel posted:

The Japanese leader for this game predates Japan as a nation. You can't take their choices literally.
I'm not. But, it always seemed weird when they wanted to do the British but call them English. Civ5 avoided this, but Civ4 not so much.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Echo Chamber posted:

Ask the Scottish what they think of Victoria. :scotland:

quote:

Depends on the kind of penalty, though. Both India and Venice have penalties in Civ V, but they don't become apparent if you stick to Tall. These are the interesting kind of penalties that you have to adjust your strategy to work around them. Penalties like -25% gold because the leader loved extravagant orgies would be terrible.

Yeah, this was more like what I was imagining. It is more difficult to design and still make fun, although it definitely helps when you nerf one thing but increase another. It limits play styles but does make things more of an interesting challenge.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 28, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Echo Chamber posted:

The Celts are a common entrant in the series, so yeah probably.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Sea dogs and rough riders! I am beginning to really like these more "cinematic" units.
Also, it seems that England and America are destined to hate each other, given their uniques......

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If new leaders are going to be a Thing in CiVIlization, who'll replace Montezuma for the Aztecs? Nezahualcoyotl could be interesting for a more religious rather than war-oriented civ.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Uh... no? He's like 500 years after they established a centralized government. I mean, you could argue about what exactly constitutes a "nation", but the idea of a single cultural Japan was well entrenched by that point.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Can you link this? All the interviews I've seen have had some very careful wording about unconfirmed things like Gandhi.

I remember an interviewer asking something like "Is Gandhi still OP?" and Ed responded with "Gandhi is always OP" which doesn't necessarily confirm it, but maybe the OP is referring to a different exchange.

A more tenuous confirmation might be that in the original announcement trailer there are only two images of leaders : Gandhi and Teddy, and obviously one of them is already confirmed.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

I'd love to see a challenge mode where you play as one of the worst leaders from a civilization.

England as Richard II.
Rome as Caligula.
Spain as Charles II.
America as Herbert Hoover.

etc.

Dan Quayle mode. MAKE IT HAPPEN, FIRAXIS.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mameluke posted:

If new leaders are going to be a Thing in CiVIlization, who'll replace Montezuma for the Aztecs? Nezahualcoyotl could be interesting for a more religious rather than war-oriented civ.

There's two montezumas they've been switching between

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

RagnarokAngel posted:

In your definition, so does Tokugawa and Nobunaga.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Overflight posted:

I'm modding this in on release. Everyone has to struggle against the weight of their civilization's unique collective flaws to win! :haw:

...it probably wouldn't be much fun, actually. :(

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

I'd love to see a challenge mode where you play as one of the worst leaders from a civilization.

England as Richard II.
Rome as Caligula.
Spain as Charles II.
America as Herbert Hoover.

etc.

already have to play as the farcical teddy roosevelt

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I'm modding this in on release. Everyone has to struggle against the weight of their civilization's unique collective flaws to win! :haw:

...it probably wouldn't be much fun, actually. :(

Pope Leo X : Gold income doubled, unhappiness doubled, upkeep doubled
Marshal Philippe Pétain: Random Barbarian spawns every few turns
Richard II: At war with everyone at all times
Caligula: Every 8 turns one of your cities loses a population, gold income locked at 0.
Charles II: Food and Gold income halved; starving cities spawn barbarians

Pick a Civ, try to last 100 turns. I'd play it, it'd be fun.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There was that Fall of Rome scenario that came with civ 5 where the Roman policy tree just unlocked worse and worse penalties. It was quite fun, in a strictly apocalyptic way.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Twilight Matrix posted:

already have to play as the farcical teddy roosevelt
Hoping Korea's a civ again so they can have their revenge on Teddy.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Overflight posted:

If you like Civ IV, I have a treat for you.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The "worst leaders" thing would make a neat Scenario, perhaps. Cuts down on the number they'd have to come up with too.

...does anyone actually play Scenarios? :v: I know I never did.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

AlphaKretin posted:

The "worst leaders" thing would make a neat Scenario, perhaps. Cuts down on the number they'd have to come up with too.

Rhye's and Fall was a pretty good scenario in 4, if a bit unwieldy. Maybe it was technically a mod but I enjoyed the epic scale, the way it adhered to Earth history, and offered you the option to jump into newly spawned nations. There were individualized win conditions for each nation which were interesting and took the dullness out of replaying the same (Earth) world map. Revolutions could be annoying, especially some of the scripted events but on the other hand tended to keep the borders spicy and prevent stagnation. The version I played wasn't perfectly balanced and seemed to have some bugs and script trigger errors but overall I think it was the best Civ 4 scenario that still played like a normal civ game.

I played a bunch of the Civ 5 scenarios but the novelty tended to wear off for me quicker than it would take to finish a typical Civ game. The achievements at least provided somewhat of a goal if you care about that sort of thing, I guess.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The way to curb ICS is to make new colonies a resource sink until they are established and having cities built in crappy terrain remain uneconomic. Large population centres should also grow faster than small ones as long as there's sufficient food available. IMO.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The way to curb ICS is to make new colonies a resource sink until they are established and having cities built in crappy terrain remain uneconomic. Large population centres should also grow faster than small ones as long as there's sufficient food available. IMO.

That's how I remember it working in Civ4.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

This is literally what happens in Civ 4.

New cities cost money due to maintenance and then begin making money with tile improvements and buildings (to both increase the amount of money the city makes and to reduce their maintenance). It's more crippling early on since you have less ways to mitigate the maintenance cost and make money, and then it gets better later on once you do.]

I could go into meticulous detail and point out a bunch of techs and how they each help but.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I loved Civ IV's expansion model. Doing a rapid expansion gambit early game was wonderfully rewarding (dopamine-wise) when it worked out.

Watching it occasionally crash and burn was fun, because you knew what you were signing up for when you started down that road.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

AlphaKretin posted:

I am a big fan of scenarios and I wish there had been a much greater number of them in Civ 5.

The Into the Renaissance scenario in Civ 5 was superb, though not very well balanced (useless for MP). Fall of Rome is also good.

I hope Civ 6 comes with, at least, a good scenario editor.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked the Steampunk scenario from CiV G&K.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Chucat posted:

This is literally what happens in Civ 4.

New cities cost money due to maintenance and then begin making money with tile improvements and buildings (to both increase the amount of money the city makes and to reduce their maintenance). It's more crippling early on since you have less ways to mitigate the maintenance cost and make money, and then it gets better later on once you do.]

I could go into meticulous detail and point out a bunch of techs and how they each help but.

I never played any 4. Was ICS a big deal?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I never played any 4. Was ICS a big deal?

yes

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
no, it was not

infinite city sprawl is a problem when you're pumping out identical cities all geometrically spaced apart, with the same tile improvements, and which each give a consistent boost to your overall empire, leading to your power increasing exponentially

you do not do that in civ4, because cities conformed to the terrain and to the resource bonuses

aka you have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Civ4 cities were heavily reliant on having good tiles to work. A city with just a few plains/grasslands and some hills would be a net drain on your economy even after you got improvements in place and infrastructure built in the city -- which would take ages because the city wouldn't really be able to grow effectively.

When people talk about ICS, they're referring mostly to Civ 3:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Phobophilia posted:

aka you have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about

I suspect, though I can't be certain about this, that majormonotone means ICS was a big deal (i.e. big problem) for the series and Civ 4 dealt with it nicely by having a balanced maintenance mechanic.

No need to be so hostile, we're all gandhis here.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

No need to be so hostile, we're all gandhis here.

MY WORDS ARE BACKED WITH...

reasonable logic and debate.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Civ 3's corruption measures were meant to combat the rampant ICS of the prior titles, but due to the mechanics, it just encouraged the strategy again.

Civ 1 cities could be placed directly next to each other, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If a 4x balanced around ICS I think it would be cool