Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Wow, Zarya counters Mei really, really hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Symmetra and Winston dumpster Genji.

I get murdered by Reapers and no idea how to counter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just got the game (until last Friday I was using a toaster for my computing) and so far I like Mei's ability to really influence a battlefield with her ice wall and freezes. The full roster is a bit overwhelming (in a good way), are there other heroes with controller-y aspects like her to take a look at?

E: I did have a great first game. Got matched with three other people who were playing their first game too, voice chat was full of laughing and friendly chatter and "I keep thinking I'm less squishy than I actually am" or "well, the ice wall can't block Junkrat's wheel, but that would have been brilliant if it could" and just a really positive attitude. Even from the non-babies who were putting up with us.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 29, 2016

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

More fun with Battle Mercy last night. Tried the weekly brawl once, it led to 3 minutes of overtime on Volskaya 1, it looked like moths circling a lamp. All 12 of us decided that was enough of that game mode after the attackers finally stayed dead or high enough in the air to accidentally let the timer run out.

With that warm up, I was ready to go for a Hanamura. Highlights include me killing the turreted bastion and torb turret so that we could take the first point, my shooting gallery with Roadhog and McCree alternating taking pot shots at me from the windows just to get scared off by my return fire, and several close duels with the Roadhog as my team ran in without me. And my personal highlight, beating McCree in a high noon shootout. I'm right inside the point B building to the right, healing a Zarya who is randomly shelling the point, when I hear the words behind me. I turn to see a glowing cowboy coming up the stairs. I know I can't get away so I pull my pistol and charge, shooting him in the face. As I jump over his head I can't believe I'm not dead yet and I hear him roll, so I spin and finish him off as he starts fanning the hammer. I don't know if my charge freaked him, or if he was greedily trying to get the Zarya behind me too, or what. The game ended in defeat since our only solid push on B was destroyed by a Junkrat killing us all with his primary fire (play of the game, he even had tire up but didn't use it).

Then there was the Anubis defense against 2 Widowmakers, 2 Tracers, a Pharah and a D.Va. It ended in a loss with several minutes left on the clock with my Mercy having gold for eliminations (14), objective kills (7) and healing. We had 2 roadhogs, a torb, a mei and a reaper, so I was the only one shooting back at the Widows and Pharah... Everyone else kept chasing Tracers into the sniper fire, or huddling in the only safe corner.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
How do I know based on my competitive rank if I should uninstall or not?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MY ABACUS! posted:

How do I know based on my competitive rank if I should uninstall or not?

If you're capable of conceiving the question, then you don't need to uninstall.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Warbird posted:

Why is there so much hate for offensive Torb? I get that it's not ideal, but having a level 1 off just to the side of the main team serves as both reliable DPS and as a distraction to draw fire off of your teammates. This is particuarly true for KOTH maps if the enemy isn't on their game on taking them out as soon as they're plopped down.

A level 1 isn't much of a distraction seeing as how it can be taken down by a Mercy solo. I mean, if you're playing against complete idiots then it might cause them to run headfirst all at once to blow it up and ignoring your team but what's realistically more likely to happen is that Pharah or Junkrat or Soldier or McCree or Hanzo or any other classi is going to take about a second out of what they're doing (shooting your team in the face) to shoot the turret and then go right on trucking.

It's realistically only going to be good if it's a level 2 and that requires a bit of a commitment where you're not actually doing anything meaningful and your team has already had to pretty far forward to allow you to do that.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'll ask again :shobon: does anyone have footage of my one kill POTG last night?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Manatee Cannon posted:

goons are pubbies because they're playing in pubs

this is america

we play in bars

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Fibby Boy posted:

I will start learing pharah just to poo poo on genji's now. Thanks

good genjis gently caress me up as pharah

between well timed reflects, bouncing off the walls like a loving pinball, and how easy it is for him to chip away at me with shurikens/dash/melee, i really can't do a whole hell of a lot unless i get lucky with direct hits

good genjis are pretty rare though, and even just OK genjis are free kills

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mormonpartyboat posted:

good genjis gently caress me up as pharah

between well timed reflects, bouncing off the walls like a loving pinball, and how easy it is for him to chip away at me with shurikens/dash/melee, i really can't do a whole hell of a lot unless i get lucky with direct hits

good genjis are pretty rare though, and even just OK genjis are free kills

just stay at a high elevation which forces him to commit his dash vertically or climb a wall to try to combo you and save your conc blast to get away from whatever angle of approach he tries

genji also isn't hitscan so try to do some aerial footsies too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FranktheBank posted:

the counter to reaper is to stay more than like 5ft away from them

reaper's very very good in his effective range but outside of that he loses to nearly every other hero, assuming it's a fair fight at least. even tracer with her 150 health can take a reaper if you know how to keep the distance from him and go for headshots. hell, the pistol that d.va gets on foot can damage race a reaper down if you're not standing right next to him

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Zoness posted:

just stay at a high elevation which forces him to commit his dash vertically or climb a wall to try to combo you and save your conc blast to get away from whatever angle of approach he tries

i've only really played against 1 or 2 genjis i'd put in the 'really good' category that totally shut me down, and both those times i just decided to fly away from them until i was shooting them in the back instead of trying to 1v1 off in a corner somewhere

something i've been working on is clipping him with splash damage by purposely missing around his reflect, which tends to freak him out

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

FranktheBank posted:

Use your superior mobility and ranged attack to stay more than 10 feet away from my plodding slow rear end and there is literally nothing I can do about it

Genjis who dash at me are hilarious, I spend 90% of my time trying to get within 2 inches of people and Genji just goes ahead and serves himself up

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the counter to reaper is to stay more than like 5ft away from them

reaper's very very good in his effective range but outside of that he loses to nearly every other hero, assuming it's a fair fight at least. even tracer with her 150 health can take a reaper if you know how to keep the distance from him and go for headshots. hell, the pistol that d.va gets on foot can damage race a reaper down if you're not standing right next to him

As a person who plays a ton of Roadhog, Symmetra and Rein... gently caress.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

People were posting their overwatch change wishlists a page or two back and I figured I'd share my thoughts because bored at work.

---

1) Bastion should take as long to get out of sentry mode as it takes to get in it. Otherwise, no change needed.

2) D.Va could use a damage boost and slight tightening to her cof. Alternatively, lower the cooldown on defense matrix from 10s to 8s.

3) Genji is fine. A good genji is a murdergod of frustration, but the bad ones trying to emulate the good ones feed enough that I don't think he needs a change.

4) Hanzo is fine if his wolf-skin ult callout volume is set to the same as his default skin. (I don't actually have this issue, I hear it fine, but enough people complain that I think there may be an issue that I just don't run into personally)

5) Junkrat's tire should explode for 65% of its damage when destroyed. It feels a little too easy to counter right now.

6) Lucio's fine. Boop.

7) McCree seems fine to me. Yes, his right-click isn't instant death to 90% of the heroes, but it's still strong and his left click is unchanged and very very good. So gently caress the whiners.

8) Mei is mostly good as is, though for the sake of having fun with her I'd like to see her gain a 10% movespeed buff if she walks (skates?) on ground that's been frozen by her blaster.

9) Mercy's a good character with a good ult but it can be so very, very frustrating to have your team double ult onto the control point only to have the mercy hiding in the house next to it hit Q to undo some really amazing teamwork. I'd like to see a reduction in range for her ult but ONLY if the teammates she's rezzing are out of LOS for her. Maybe give her a slight bonus to ult range for LOS dead teammates, and a bit of a nerf to the range for teammates who aren't LOS.

Alternatively, I'd like to see Mercy's Ult be interruptible. If she flies over to a group and hits Q, give roadhog or mccree or someone with a stun a chance to stop the rez before it goes off, since it's instant right now.

10) Reinhardt is fine right now, though I feel like giving his shield a small critbox (Perhaps not full headshot crit, but maybe something like 50% bonus) would help a lot of the more precision-based heroes (McCree, S76, et al) slightly more utility against him if their aim is good. Not enough to let them melt the shield alone or anything, but enough to encourage them to aim.

11) Roadhog could use a small (25%) vulnerability during his healing immobility. Often I see him stand out in the open to heal because it's such a big burst so fast, and I don't feel like that's what the devs intended.

12) S76 is fine.

13) Symmetra is fine but classify her as defense and not support.

14) Torb is pretty good, there's enough counters to his turret that I don't feel like it's OP. Frustrating at times, but not OP.

15) Tracer's alright.

16) Widowmaker's fine.

17) Winston's pretty much where he should be.

18) Zarya doesn't need any work.

19) Zenyatta's orbs hurt like hell since he'll probably always have OoD on you when they land, but he has so little health it feels like an OK tradeoff.

20) Pharah's annoying but fine. I have many issues dealing with her (on the other team I mean) but they're my own personal failings and not a problem with the hero.

21) Reaper's ult is a good ult, but frustrating in that the callout happens a fraction of a second AFTER the DPS starts which can often mean it feels like there's no time to react if he gets the drop on you. I'd like to see the initial damage of the ult nerfed by 25%, but have the damage ramp up until it ends up being 25% stronger by the end. That should give players an extra fraction of a second to react and use escapes or invulns before they're dead, but still ends up being just as deadly if they don't have an escape up or are still too slow to react.

khy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 29, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

FranktheBank posted:

Reaper should win all those fights, yeah, but if you save your hook for after he's popped Wraith Form, you can still win with Roadhog. And there's a lot of Reapers that are worse than they think that you can bring down with Symmetra. These are shameful Reapers but it's not like they don't exist. If you're caught out, might as well give it a shot. Especially if you can lock the beam and juke him long enough to either kill him or drag him into range of a turret.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FranktheBank posted:

roadhog can kill a reaper p easily

shoot him with the alt fire, hook him in, use the primary, melee immediately afterwards. he might have time to wraith away from the melee if he isn't already dead but another good hit from your alt fire will likely finish him off. keep in mind that roadhog can actually kill a reaper in two good hits from close up with the primary fire. now, winston on the other hand? winston's just hosed

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

FranktheBank posted:

Reinhardt the only tank is also the only tank you'd back to beat reaper at reaper's most effective range often enough to make it 50/50 - just try to keep him in front of your shield for as much of his first clip as you can, and use your awesome melee reach, some lucky shots with the ranged attack, and judicious use of the squish his edgy face into the wall with your rocket skates attack.

It's only when he gets to drop in behind your shield with his ult that death is certain.

Manatee Cannon posted:

roadhog can kill a reaper p easily

shoot him with the alt fire, hook him in, use the primary, melee immediately afterwards. he might have time to wraith away from the melee if he isn't already dead but another good hit from your alt fire will likely finish him off. now, winston on the other hand? winston's just hosed

Except Roadhog is still broken, and has all sorts of random poo poo happen with his hook, including zero stun, and the gun miraculously missing everything at point blank due to a combination of inaccurate crosshairs and the tick

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 29, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just want D.Va to get buffed in some way, I don't know how. I'd honestly give up her infinite ammo to be able to walk at normal speed while shooting. And I'd also like the range on Torb's turret to not be so long you can be halfway around the planet and still be getting hit by it. I see posts here saying Torb's counters, but multiple Torbs is still really hard to deal with.

Widowmaker is still terrible but I saw her like once during all my competitive mode playing last night so

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
D.Va just needs an alternate fire so she can harass more than two inches in front of her mech's face.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also, today I learned that characters in their ult animation are immune to Lucio's boop gun - tried to boop a Junkrat off a greek cliff as he was pulling the chain on his riptyre, nothing happened, and he got me with the explosion as I retreated. We figured that was what happened, and fortunately that incident was POTM, so we were both able to confirm it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Except Roadhog is still broken, and has all sorts of random poo poo happen with his hook, including zero stun, and the gun miraculously missing everything at point blank due to a combination of inaccurate crosshairs and the tick

except nothing, roadhog is good and not broken. the stun thing is just the fact that the stun wears off on people you hook from far away. idg what people are talking about with missing at point blank because it's never happened to me

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

except nothing, roadhog is good and not broken. the stun thing is just the fact that the stun wears off on people you hook from far away. idg what people are talking about with missing at point blank because it's never happened to me

I've seen it happen, the tick rate and/or latency issues is the most likely cause. I'm just personally glad they fixed the 'view suddenly snaps 45 degrees up and to the left' issue, I had that happen so many times with Hog's ult.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
From couple pages back.

BabyRyoga posted:

Needs slight nerf:
Bastion: Should damage himself with ult splash or reduce alt fire clip size from 200 to 150 or 125.

Doesn't Bastion already damage himself with the splash? I've definitely had a Bastion or two kill themselves on me with their ult (really close range though).

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Pollyzoid posted:

From couple pages back.

Doesn't Bastion already damage himself with the splash? I've definitely had a Bastion or two kill themselves on me with their ult (really close range though).

Yes he does, you can rocket jump with it even.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Roadhog and Reaper are both kind of counters to each other, it all depends on who has the cooldown, and to a greater extent if Roadhog can hit the hook.

For the most part, if Roadhog lands the hook it's GG Reaper, but if the hook is on cooldown or he misses then Reaper will eat Roadhog like carnitas.

e: Bastion definitely self damages in Tank mode, and yes you can rocket jump with him

https://gfycat.com/NauticalAmbitiousDuck

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 29, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I played one round in competitive mode. I was Mercy, and our only healer.

My team was amazing and did a better job of protecting me and coordinating than my actual premades ever have, despite our star DPS player really obviously speaking English as a second language. (Also, yeah, people used voice chat and callouts.)

that's my competitive mode story :shobon:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
also nobody in the game right now needs nerfs; Mei needs a straight buff and D. Va and Zenyatta need partial-to-total reworks

and Hanzo should be deleted

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Scatter Arrow is the shittiest thing in the game to die to

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

I've had nothing but career offense players in my comp-placement. These 'ok' Tracers/Genji/Reapers that don't switch off when the map is calling for a second loving tank or something to counter that Bastion/Toblerone Turret.

How do you get 60+ hours slam-picking only one godamn character and still be poo poo at the game? I'd gouge out my eyes if I had to play Genji 24/7.
Bastion loving melts tanks, his counters are almost all offense and defense characters.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Zenyatta need partial-to-total reworks

Seconded zenyatta is easily the worst support in the game, please don't use him in competitive.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My losses now have such major dyfunctions that feel like we have people who don't even know how to play. We're at a point where the enemy team just abandons the objective to move up closer to our spawn location and hold our feet to the fire at the doorstep.

This shouldn't be a thing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Last week Zen earned the illustrious title of "only hero to see literally zero picks over 900 days points" in the invitational tournament according to Planet Overwatch. He could probably use some adjustments.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Any advice on how can I get better at tracking pharahs mid-air? I can counter almost any other class easily but I am always just the absolute worst at killing pharahs. I know it's me that's the problem and I want to fix it and get better.

Usually when I see a pharah up high I go S76 but I often feel unless I've ulted, when i start doing any appreciable damage to her she'll drop down somewhere out of my LOS and heal up. Lately i've been trying to McCree when I have this problem since his shots do higher damage and can take her down before she has a chance to escape.

A lot of the problem feels like since she's up high I can't aim for crits and thus have to whittle her down slowly which gives her too much time to escape and heal up. The other problem is when she's rocketing and concing me I cannot seem to keep my aim despite the lack of screen shake. Enemy pharahs seem to realize this and immediately go for me when they see me since I'm so easy to kill.

How can I not suck so much against her?

khy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 29, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
High Noon is always great for taking out a Pharah/Mercy combo. They always think they can take you out in time. They usually can't.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Manatee Cannon posted:

Except you're wrong, because it happens irrespective of hook distance, and there is absolutely a problem with Roadhog's gun not shooting where you are aiming at point blank range. Then there's the issue with hooking people and having them land behind you. Roadhog is just broken.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 29, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I am the world's worst Reinhardt and any time I'm forced into the role it's likely to be a guaranteed loss.

I need any and all tips, hints, and secrets.

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013
Any console users (particularly PS4) use SharQ or Scuf controllers? I badly need to jump and aim for this game, and controller paddles seem the way to go. Reviews online are pretty negative on the build quality of the Scufs, and SharQs seem pretty positive so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

khy posted:

Any advice on how can I get better at tracking pharahs mid-air? I can counter almost any other class easily but I am always just the absolute worst at killing pharahs. I know it's me that's the problem and I want to fix it and get better.

Usually when I see a pharah up high I go S76 but I often feel unless I've ulted, when i start doing any appreciable damage to her she'll drop down somewhere out of my LOS and heal up. Lately i've been trying to McCree when I have this problem since his shots do higher damage and can take her down before she has a chance to escape.

A lot of the problem feels like since she's up high I can't aim for crits and thus have to whittle her down slowly which gives her too much time to escape and heal up. The other problem is when she's rocketing and concing me I cannot seem to keep my aim despite the lack of screen shake. Enemy pharahs seem to realize this and immediately go for me when they see me since I'm so easy to kill.

How can I not suck so much against her?

I play a lot of pharah, my banes in the air are widow, m1 mcrees, m2 meis, rhog hooks, soldier