Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i liked the real poem when i googled it, it seemed familiar but i dont know if ive read it before

i know about brecht from a 'spend hours practicing quiz bowl questions until you know how to answer questions about a million different people without any real knowledge of their doings' perspective, and thats just a great non-waste-of-my-life way to approach the world of knowledge, but its also cool to actually like read a poem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i would like to marry bertolt brecht. sadly he is dead but i will settle for the next best thing: soon i will be wed to his collected works

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ohhh it's threepenny opera. every once in a while you'd get a question 'who wrote threepenny opera' and you'd say 'brecht' and then you'd move on to some other drat thing. that was about as far as i went into this guy until i started reading his wikipedia page just now

edit: also there's volleyball on tv................................. men's indoor volleyball. its funny how certain sports are basically objectification theater in the usa, i know it's not just us since we at least let women play basketball and in the commonwealth they have netball for those people but field hockey is basically unisex female-only here, which is definitely not the international norm, and now i'm wondering if it's only my country that thinks it's weird to actually have men playing volleyball on tv

bein used to show the italian men's pro league, i dunno if they still do

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 02:18 on Jun 26, 2016

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

oystertoadfish posted:

pine cones on the label

Hop juice. It was good when they were selling it at the introductory price of 3$ for a 24 ounce. Also Torpedoes, and Dorado without the vomit inducing watermelon flavor that rivals ballast point's other generic ipecac replacement called victory at sea.

It's all overpriced bullshit.
When I start drinking again I'm just going to sip Johnny Walker Black.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

that sounds like a good price. im drinking torpedos right now. also got some like lagunitas ipa 'maximus' or something. in honor of maximinus thrax. but yeah this is basically my abv-optimal purchasing strategy

i poured one out for a minor league baseball stadium where i grew up that i just found out lost its team but i missed my garden and hit the brick next to it so i poured some water out to dilute the situation cause it probably aint gonna rain here for like 8 months and i bet that poo poo would start getting... problematic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of49rXdF7pw

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
dinner with the rents, i bbq'd some pork - pink rings motherfucker

video games tonight. there's an elf in pillars of eternity named al in it. someone with archives tell me if i posted in this thread talking poo poo and got burned by ropekid http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506352

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
It's hard to beat Lill sumthin really, but Maximus is a close second.
That shutdown was pretty cool for a while, but I haven't seen it in a long time. Torpedoes are the stand by for hops lovers, and I ended up listening to Suicidal Tendencies for a half hour because I clicked on your black flag link. So thanks for all that.
I'm guessing you live in California?

Also, pillars of eternity is an amazing game I wish I had another 30bucks to spend on, since I see that It's on sale along with all its DLC.
God drat you Steam.

I have like a week before I have to start my internship dusting artifacts and building display cases for the archeology center. I miss being a kid and getting to enjoy Summers doing nothing.

And before I go collect junk in that Skyrim with guns Bethesda crapped out, I have to say what a lovely effort probation 'loog got. It's wistful and made me smile, but not look up the original poem.
I feel that would have somehow detracted from it.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Wrong place, ignore.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Solvent posted:

It's hard to beat Lill sumthin really, but Maximus is a close second.
That shutdown was pretty cool for a while, but I haven't seen it in a long time. Torpedoes are the stand by for hops lovers, and I ended up listening to Suicidal Tendencies for a half hour because I clicked on your black flag link. So thanks for all that.
I'm guessing you live in California?

good call. im in sacramento! the coolest part of california!

but i keep tellin people i can walk to a lovely dive bar and a sports bar and a gourmet burger place with craft beers from my drat house, and ive lived in dc and denver paying a lot more for the privilege (in a studio apartment) and you couldn't really say i got more than what im getting now. i was on pier 39 last week tho looking out on the bay and that kinda reminded me why people pay to live in not sacramento. but then i remember i dont spend 2/3 of my income on rent any more and i resumed serenity\

they sell dogfish head here which is chill, that was kinda the mid-atlantic hop beer of choice iirc, it seems to cost a lot here tho

hey did any a yall ever see the 90s japanese movie swallowtail butterfly? no point really, but i was reminded of the scene where they pull a sinatra 'my way' tape out of a dead guy, which they later find out is the key to the counterfeiting machine in this video or some poo poo, and i wish i could find that scene w the first playing of my way but i cant. but it was a cool movie. and i dont even really watch movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_u5-uTN7Sc

the original poem is quite good and sent me on a wikipedia discovery-hole mission, it's a short poem, worth a read

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

but i DO know that koreans make the best war movies, dont know why, maybe getting owned in wars all the time does it, but they have a movie called 'my way' based on basically this story

spelled out w lots of fiction and poo poo but here's some badfuckin rear end scenes spanning the eurasian continent in world war ii the worldiest war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuUR95-o_fw

enjoy the fuckin bouncing turkish subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beoygtsh8FI

here's the normandy scene with teh random rear end olympic racing end scene. it has to do with the story they made up for this poo poo

anyway thats another movie. looks like it's on youtube in full, dunno if there's subtitles. im sure you can find a solution if you desire

another movie about brothers fighting in the korean war ended with this loving scene, i think some of the same actors as the above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5SHl7QVN_8

i watched one set in like medieval times that was p good too dont remember the name or setting

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Probate probate probate your baloogan
gently down the thread
merrily merrily merrily merrily
SA is gay and dead

To post or not to post-that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The bans and probations of outrageous moderators
Or to take arms against a sea of marxists,
And, by opposing, end them. To be probated, to sleep-no more

Baloogan: Die moderator! You don't belong in this world!
IK: It was not by my hand that I am once again given moderator powers. I was called here by admins who wish to pay me tribute.
Baloogan: Tribute!?! You steal men's accounts and make them your slaves!
IK: Perhaps the same could be said of all forums...
Baloogan: Your probation reasons are as empty as your soul! YCS ill needs a savior such as you!
IK: What is a goon? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!

Those who abjure great posts can only do so because others are committing great posts on their behalf.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

six hours well spent i see

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

oystertoadfish posted:

six hours well spent i see

lol

tho i do aplaud you for that good probation reason
now seriously start thinking about something special for my 100th probation which is coming up, likely mid next week

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Baloogan posted:

lol

tho i do aplaud you for that good probation reason
now seriously start thinking about something special for my 100th probation which is coming up, likely mid next week

youre not saying i probated you right i think im misunderstanding you ive literally never reported anyone on this forum and ive never had any sort of mod or ik powers

if its about my two probations 6 and 8 years ago, yeah they were for the one thing i never gave up. i lost the battles and won the war, as your latest and most creative probator told me probably itt???? whatever

we lead different lifestyles

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I've never reported anyone either. People who make bad posts or tell me to kill myself seem to get got anyway so why create the extra work for everyone. Maybe if I start posting in coupons it's necessary, I hear they're real motherfuckers in that subforum

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Lagunitas is okay but their entire lineup is basically [style] but with tons of hops and/or booze. I don't get the hype with them.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

oystertoadfish posted:

youre not saying i probated you right i think im misunderstanding you ive literally never reported anyone on this forum and ive never had any sort of mod or ik powers

if its about my two probations 6 and 8 years ago, yeah they were for the one thing i never gave up. i lost the battles and won the war, as your latest and most creative probator told me probably itt???? whatever

we lead different lifestyles

oh no not at all, the "YOU" in my previous post was directed at homework complainer

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Hello

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

bagl

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

my stupid rear end thought it would be a good idea to walk 3 miles to the beach with the surfboard despite being incredibly out of shape and not having surfed in two years. Cue me not standing up once on the board. I guess ill try again tuesday morning

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

WINNINGHARD posted:

my stupid rear end thought it would be a good idea to walk 3 miles to the beach with the surfboard despite being incredibly out of shape and not having surfed in two years. Cue me not standing up once on the board. I guess ill try again tuesday morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
When someone tells you they're an American citizen without you asking 'Congratulations' is an acceptable response, true or false?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Well... what's the intonation?
Is it Baloogan?
Because he's a Canadian I hear.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
4rsy67mktdukdtkjdrjus46hs46rjry6nd5rjj5

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/body_once/status/747158550770782210

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept...for there were no more worlds to conquer. - Hans Gruber

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Texas is going to fall into the center of the earth and pop out of a hole in China somewhere.

quote:

The earth is crumbling in West Texas. Scientists from Southern Methodist University have new research that shows two massive sinkholes between the towns of Wink and Kermit are expanding.

Years of drilling for oil and gas have helped wash away salt beds underneath the ground. A shifting water table has made the problem worse and in some places the ground is sinking five inches a year, according to the satellite readings.

Now there’s concern the pits could converge into one giant hole. “A collapse could be catastrophic,” SMU research scientist Jin-Woo Kim said.

These wounds in the West Texas desert have been around for years. The first hole opened up near an abandoned oil well on June 3, 1980. Twenty-two years later, about a mile away, the second one appeared. From the sky, they look like high-caliber bullet holes

“It's pretty scary. It's just a big huge pit,” said Winkler County Sheriff George Keely, who has peered over the edge many times in his career. “It's like standing on the moon looking into a crater. And you can see where it's just caved off. It’s broken off over the years more and more. When you look down there, you're looking at water.”

Water is the problem. West Texas, not far from Odessa, is oil country. Drillers started working near Wink in the mid-1920s. For decades, they injected water into the ground and destabilized the earth, according to the researchers. Meanwhile, as the water table shrinks, thick layers of salt are dissolved far below the surface.

It's like kicking the legs out from underneath a chair.

“We could have another sink hole or two or 10 someday show up,” Keely says.

In fact, the SMU researchers used satellite imaging to show the problem is getting worse. That's saying something because the holes are already big. One's 361 feet across. The other is nearly three times larger, more than a couple football fields wide.

Sheriff Keely says the sink holes are often the topic of conversation in the cafes of Wink and Kermit, where about 7,000 people live.

few years ago, roads near town started buckling under the weight of 80,000-pound trucks rolling in from the oil fields. “The roads are sinking,” Keely says. “We have fissures in them now. Cracks. That's the scariest part.”

The companies that own the land have put up gates and fences around the holes and the county has blocked off a few roads. But there's still work that needs to get done. The pump jacks are still bobbing for oil. And no matter what he does, lookie lous have a way of sneaking under the fences. Trespassers will get arrested, he says.

“If someone were to fall in there, especially a child, it would be more than catastrophic.”

We should call this "Texit."

Maybe it can wave hello to Kiruna, Sweden on the way down. Kiruna is a mining town that is slowly sinking as it extracts the ore underneath it.

Quiet Feet has issued a correction as of 04:09 on Jun 29, 2016

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

home beckons for The Glotch

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
jus wanna say I got 3x probations today (new record!) and forums cancer

today was a good day

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
oh, and, seriously why was my rio olympics thread gassed?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imma gonna repost it sometime, imo it didn't qualify for a insta-gas after 1 minute in the wild - drat dog

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's generally a good idea to copy-paste an effort op into a word document, it's what i did for the antiimperialismo thread

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i do it in the post reply page and preview it every 5 seconds to make sure i didn't gently caress up or something

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
it was gassed so quick that I just pressed back and copy pasted it into a txt file...

It was filled with references, to brexit, to trump, to games about viruses, to tom clancy's rainbow 6 (the book), and I even photoshopped the map a little. the title even was pretty good I thought too "We Will Struggle to Find Enough Superlatives to Describe the Rio Olympics"

I may post poorly, but when I make a thread I put my back into it! I post *exceptionally* poorly and have many awards and decorations for my posting.

Take a look at the YCS brexit thread, filled with the visage of britions next prime minister the adorable gorilla bojo; the alt-right thread and others!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I hate babies with normal shaped and sized craniums

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

zika is insanely my poo poo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
kk posted https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781507

shingi don't loving gas it

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Making me feel bad I haven't started my own dumb thread yet. Still torn between two gimmicks

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Hi, friends. July 4th weekend I'm going to a family reunion. My family is all pretty liberal but I have an uncle that is listens-to-Rush-Limbaugh-all-day conservative. He almost didn't come because he said this election is too intense and he's afraid he will say something. This is the first time my girlfriend is meeting some of my extended family, including this uncle, and he is probably going to make a comment about her being an NPR reporter and it's going to really fun!

What are your July 4th plans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My old college roommate and his wife are coming to town and we're going to get together for dinner.

I'm considering a pre-emptive ban on political chat.

• Locked thread