Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Thank you. I'm sort of at the point where my physical therapist is just making sure my shoulder won't lock up. So I'm around 6 weeks out from that kind of out of office work, but I'll bookmark it and get back when I finally can.

It's true. I felt so loving great being that close, even if it wasn't going to be a life choice (maybe just being a hometown hero/regional champ).

Maybe I'm just so desperate to get back in the cage that sort of losing sight of where I want to be in 10 years. There always used to be these guys we called "professional sparring partners" who didn't fight or train 5 days a week and seemed to really enjoy just getting in the gym and not giving a poo poo if they were beat up, or if they took some time off between rounds, or if they skipped certain practices to do fun human things. I honestly don't understand how they have fun showing up like that. It never made sense to me, and I was probably a huge dick as a consequence. When I think about it, I'm 22 years old and 6+ years of sparring like a fight and training 20 hours a week at my old bullshit gym has really hosed up a lot of my future athletic prospects. So you're right, I just don't know how I'll readjust.

I know PEDs are overkill, but I legitimately have no idea where I go from here. The future feels so loving dismal, thinking about roiding up as a method to recover is one of the ways I'm trying to bust out of this uncharacteristic pity party I'm throwing for myself.

edit: The weirdes tthing is how defenseless I feel. When I exited the closet, one of the ways I felt confident enough to do stop just passing as a 100% straight guy was the fact that I was big and knew how to punch things. Having neither has really sort of thrown me for a loop.

That's not weird at all. Fighting was something that helped you cope during a difficult time and formed a big part of your identity; of course it's going to be scary when it doesn't play the same role in your life that it once did. It's not a "pity party", you're literally mourning a part of yourself that you lost. Allow yourself to be upset, but also start looking towards what else can give you a sense of purpose and satisfaction as you move forward. MMA and being in shape will be among those things! Just not necessarily in the same way they were.

A good therapist might help a lot as you try to figure all this stuff out, if that's something you're open to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Do PEDS, they make everything more exciting. This thread, included.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's not weird at all. Fighting was something that helped you cope during a difficult time and formed a big part of your identity; of course it's going to be scary when it doesn't play the same role in your life that it once did. It's not a "pity party", you're literally mourning a part of yourself that you lost. Allow yourself to be upset, but also start looking towards what else can give you a sense of purpose and satisfaction as you move forward. MMA and being in shape will be among those things! Just not necessarily in the same way they were.

A good therapist might help a lot as you try to figure all this stuff out, if that's something you're open to.
Yeah, being defenseless really fucks with your confidence in a lot of ways I've never thought about.

And thanks, it's nice to hear from someone who also does combat sports that a therapist wouldn't be a terrible idea, god knows I've met my out of pocket. I've been thinking about it since my 2nd elbow surgery in February but couldn't make it consistent with my I make my own mental-health worldview at the time.. I'll spend a few days googling around and maybe calling providers. It can't hurt?

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do PEDS, they make everything more exciting. This thread, included.

That's pretty compelling

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I went to a therapist in the past and never regretted it. Although I do find that a good therapist is like a good hair stylist, you gotta find the one that fits with you the most and if you're not sure, it's alright to try another.

spitsaliva
Mar 10, 2006
I am thinking of joining a gym to start learning some BJJ, and I was wondering what you guys thought about this gym here: https://evolve-mma.com/.

The instructors look pretty legit, and they have a few professional fighters training there, but do you guys think this would be too much gym for me: I literally don't know the first thing about BJJ except for what I see on TV. The fees are a little (a lot) bit expensive, but I think I can swing it, and since there are not a lot of other places that run classes in the morning before work, I don't have many alternatives.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

spitsaliva posted:

I am thinking of joining a gym to start learning some BJJ, and I was wondering what you guys thought about this gym here: https://evolve-mma.com/.

The instructors look pretty legit, and they have a few professional fighters training there, but do you guys think this would be too much gym for me: I literally don't know the first thing about BJJ except for what I see on TV. The fees are a little (a lot) bit expensive, but I think I can swing it, and since there are not a lot of other places that run classes in the morning before work, I don't have many alternatives.

Yes that would be an incredible gym to train at, I am fairly sure. I'd give a testicle to have train somewhere like that.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spitsaliva posted:

Shinya Aoki and Rafael Dos Anjos as instructors? goddamn.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

spitsaliva posted:

I am biased because Chatri, one of the founders and owners of the gym, is my friend and former training partner. Evolve is a very legit BJJ and MMA gym. Gordinho set up the BJJ program there before he left to found a school in Florida. Evolve has world class coaches in BJJ, Muay Thai and MMA and have a lot of pros that train there as well as regular hobbyists. Evolve is also part of Team Renzo Gracie and is one of our official affiliates. I haven't trained there but based on knowing them personally I would highly recommend it.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 26, 2016

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Won one fight, lost the second one because I was on bottom, swept the guy into side-control and passed into mount.

Because the referee gave me two points instead of five, so the other guy won because he had two advantages. My coach was livid as gently caress lmao.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Cephas posted:

The instructor was really friendly, a dead ringer for a younger Pope Francis, and punched me in the ribs and taught me the difference between how muay thai shin kick feels and how a low mawashi geri feels. Then afterwards, me and the four other people sat around cooling down for like half an hour while the sensei poked fun at his lazy son-in-law student and every talked about their favorite PS1 games.

Here's a fun joke you can work into conversation: in Japanese, "mawashi geri" also technically translates to "loincloth diarrhea". Like I kicked the sumo wrestler so hard with a mawashi geri that he got mawashi geri. Sorry, I discovered this on accident a few weeks ago and I've been dying to find a reason to share it.

Hopefully everyone's favorite PS1 games were Bushido Blade and Tenchu.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Odddzy posted:

Shinya Aoki and Rafael Dos Anjos as instructors? goddamn.

He's training there in his latest promo video with some absolute killers., the gym looks fantastic, to the point where if it's a pro gym will you even be able to train there, don't you have to be at an elite level?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willie_dee posted:

to the point where if it's a pro gym will you even be able to train there, don't you have to be at an elite level?

Any gym that size needs lots of bodies to pay rent. There'll be varied classes with the schedule favoring the fighters. You're not gonna be training with the fight team on the first day is all.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Omglosser posted:

Hopefully everyone's favorite PS1 games were Bushido Blade and Tenchu.

Is any modern game as good as original Tenchu or Tenchu2? "Punish the evil merchant" it like the best opening level in any game ever. I have a xboxone.

and godamn, I felt pretty lucky that my local bjj academy I stumbled onto was a Drysdale affiliate and I got to meet Robert Drysdale, but Rafael dos Anjos? He is literally the currently UFC world champion...

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 28, 2016

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Looking for gi suggestions. I'd like a gi I can use for BJJ and local judo tournaments. I've previously only bought judo gis, Fuji, Mizuno and Adidas. The last few fujis have worn out really quickly, and the mizunos and adidas don't fit me very well, short sleeves and long skirts. I'd like to get a BJJ gi that most resembles a judo gi. Specifically, looking for heavy cotton, minimal external adornment, and decent fit for a "normal" sized torso. Any suggestions?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ihop posted:

Looking for gi suggestions. I'd like a gi I can use for BJJ and local judo tournaments. I've previously only bought judo gis, Fuji, Mizuno and Adidas. The last few fujis have worn out really quickly, and the mizunos and adidas don't fit me very well, short sleeves and long skirts. I'd like to get a BJJ gi that most resembles a judo gi. Specifically, looking for heavy cotton, minimal external adornment, and decent fit for a "normal" sized torso. Any suggestions?

this sounds like fuji to me tbh

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I think I'm done with Fuji, last couple I had wore out too quickly.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

ihop posted:

Yea I second Wangsbig, this sounds like you want a Fuji Sekai. Did you just wear a Victory? Have you tried a Sekai? They are excellent and also like twice the price.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

ihop posted:

I would recommend Fushida. They make both BJJ and Judo gis with little to no adornments. Fighting Films and Judoka Gis also are worth checking out too.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

spandexcajun posted:

Is any modern game as good as original Tenchu or Tenchu2? "Punish the evil merchant" it like the best opening level in any game ever. I have a xboxone.

and godamn, I felt pretty lucky that my local bjj academy I stumbled onto was a Drysdale affiliate and I got to meet Robert Drysdale, but Rafael dos Anjos? He is literally the currently UFC world champion...

I havent played that game for 15 years but I still remember the line 'now where did that lecherous old goat go and hide himself'.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

ihop posted:

I bought an Inverted gi late last year and have been pretty happy with it. Only complaint is that the jacket fits me perfectly while the pants can be tight, but the if you don't squat you shouldn't have an issue. Not too much extra stuff thrown on them either.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

ihop posted:

HCK and Gill Sports are other options for judo gis. I second Fushida. I can't think of any BJJ-specific gi brands that make a judo cut. Do they allow BJJ cut gis in the local judo tournaments around you?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
It really depends on how tight the sleeves are. I've got a couple IJF-approved gis if I need, really just looking for a gi I can wear to either practice without getting too much poo poo from the judo guys.

I've seen some Fushidas and HCKs and they look good. Also considering the 'tank' gi from Tatami.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
heh

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Nierbo posted:

I havent played that game for 15 years but I still remember the line 'now where did that lecherous old goat go and hide himself'.

Looks like you chose the wrong party to crashhhhhhh...
My business is with Echigoya. Step aside, or I will have to kill you.
My...money...my money!

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Tenchu wrath of heaven on the ps2 was the second best imo.

Also that level on bushido blade when you had to kill 100 guys in a corridor.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
I think I may have mentioned being bi and how it caused me to leave my gym after losing a couple of training partners when one or two guys found out (because I was trying to come out to my friends, but didn't get any further than them). That was one year ago Thursday, and I decided to give it a shot again and just straight up wrote a short couple of paragraphs as a Facebook status and came out to everyone I know through that.

Really, really surprisingly almost every single member of the fight team either commented or sent me a message saying, in general, how they were stoked for me coming out and coming to terms with my sexuality and that they were all looking forward to having me come back to the gym and fight again! The two guys who basically guilted me into leaving last summer (though I didn't mention who they were in the post) ended up being found out after saying some really homophobic poo poo and were put on the receiving end of a really long talk from my old head coach about how that kind of poo poo wouldn't fly regardless of whether or not I was physically present. Even more surprising (to me), I was told that if I ever felt uncomfortable or like I didn't belong or like I was being mocked or insulted for being bi that they would rather have me, in spite of all my injuries and the yearlong layoff, than the couple of shitlords who weren't willing to train with someone who might suddenly become rock hard while we sparred.

I know it's not super martial arts related, but man I never would have figured my old MMA gym, and the community at large, would be so incredibly supportive and accepting of the fact that I bang dudes. After the disaster that was trying to come out to a couple of my close friends who trained there last year, I had expected, at best, to be ignored and mocked in private, and at worst to have to relive the previous shitfest on a much larger scale.

So yeah, I'm pretty loving happy and cannot wait to go back and train at my old gym.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
hey that's great to hear man!

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
wait what? might suddenly become rock hard while sparring? i dunno about that one

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Eat Bum Zen posted:

I know it's not super martial arts related, but man I never would have figured my old MMA gym, and the community at large, would be so incredibly supportive and accepting of the fact that I bang dudes.

Nice

Eat Bum Zen posted:

might suddenly become rock hard while we sparred

Nice

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Eat Bum Zen posted:

train with someone who might suddenly become rock hard while we sparred.

this would be a dream for me. I'd cockbar that turgid ween so quick

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

That's awesome dude!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

We've got a bi girl who trains with us, who I'll call Kay, and she's about to get married to her girlfriend.

There's also a new dude who's started who is a bit "old-fashioned" in his views.

The girlfriend (fiancé I guess) wants to start training too, and so Kay comes to us and says "guys, I'm a bit worried that guy is going to be an arse when he realises we're together", to which we obviously replied "the second he says or does anything even slightly untoward we'll give him his money back and tell him to gently caress off".

You get to live your life how you like, man.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
One of our gyms is run by an openly gay couple, I've always thought of the community as a whole as pretty accepting but I'm sure that's myopic.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Kekekela posted:

One of our gyms is run by an openly gay couple, I've always thought of the community as a whole as pretty accepting but I'm sure that's myopic.

I don't know what art you do but regarding BJJ check out some of Wilson Junior's Facebook posting. BJJ's got some backward attitudes for such a homoerotic sport.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

de la peche posted:

I don't know what art you do

Sorry, BJJ.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I for one am very offended by gay people participating in BJJ, the gayest sport on earth

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
It's actually a distant second to Turkish wrestling

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

origami posted:

It's actually a distant second to Turkish wrestling

Distant third to Turkish oil wrestling.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

origami posted:

hey that's great to hear man!

Team_q posted:

That's awesome dude!

thanks people. i'll have to switch to southpaw because of the shoulder, but i'm looking forward to restarting at the bottom of the amateur chain

A Wry Smile posted:

wait what? might suddenly become rock hard while sparring? i dunno about that one

I can't help it. wearing the largest cup possible for cover hasn't exactly IMPROVED my situation...

Wangsbig posted:

this would be a dream for me. I'd cockbar that turgid ween so quick

thank you, these are the jokes i come here for, and also the support

and the community is apparently pretty great despite being in the conservative dreamland that is Montana. there are a couple of homophobic shitlords, but ultimately they're not really good at any aspect of MMA so sparring with them will probably be useless.

really it's going to be cardio which is almost impossible to ignore early on. My veins/heart are probably totally hosed from abusing the drugs they gave me for all these surgeries so it'll be quite a few pad sessions before I can hang in a sparring round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eat Bum Zen posted:

thanks people. i'll have to switch to southpaw because of the shoulder, but i'm looking forward to restarting at the bottom of the amateur chain

Switching stances is really weird. It takes a loong time before you can override your other-side instincts in the middle of sparring. I guess it'd be easier coming from arts like TKD that have a lot of stance switching from the get-go.

• Locked thread