Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Knifegrab posted:

So I really only follow Graphics card stuff casually, with everything dropping about the new AMD card can someone give me the low down? Is it better than Nvidia's offering?

It's OK. It's the same speed as nVidia / AMD's last generation offering, the Geforce 970, Radeon 290/390, for $200-250. Nvidias current offering is about 70% faster for ~$400-450.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

So I really only follow Graphics card stuff casually, with everything dropping about the new AMD card can someone give me the low down? Is it better than Nvidia's offering?

It's a really good card for the price, the concern is that it sucks a ton of power (relatively speaking), so people don't think AMD's architecture will be able to scale and compete with Nvidia at the high end.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They're not even making cards based on Big Pascal apparently, GP100 is just not going to make it to the market as a graphics unit.

GP102, if videocardz isn't bullshitting us (odds are "much better than wccftech") is speculated to have more CUDA cores than GP100 but lose practically all of the FP64 poo poo nobody but Chris Roberts' Star Citizen cares about

I would really enjoy seeing "Citizens" try to find a way to use 5000$ GP100 Teslas to somehow run star citizen with some hacked up LucidLogix stuff routing the output through Intel integrated GPU outs.

I know it's impossible, but if anyone could get behind flushing 5k+ down the drain in pursuit of an impossible dream, it would be star citizens.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They're not even making cards based on Big Pascal apparently, GP100 is just not going to make it to the market as a graphics unit.

GP102, if videocardz isn't bullshitting us (odds are "much better than wccftech") is speculated to have more CUDA cores than GP100 but lose practically all of the FP64 poo poo nobody but Chris Roberts' Star Citizen cares about

GP102 is supposedly the exact same number of FP32 ALUs as GP100, just close to zero FP64, and thus a rumored ~470mm² die. Also not an HBM product, just a 384-bit GDDR5X product, and with Polaris 10s numbers, kind of looks like Vega will barely compete with GP104.

This is also the first time AMD has completely flubbed on a new node.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

wicka posted:

It's a really good card for the price, the concern is that it sucks a ton of power (relatively speaking), so people don't think AMD's architecture will be able to scale and compete with Nvidia at the high end.

Basically close to this, that the perf/power disparity is even worse than from the 28nm days. Polaris has to be the dying breath of old GCN, Vega has to be an entirely new µarch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

have they, though

FaustianQ posted:

Basically close to this, that the perf/power disparity is even worse than from the 28nm days. Polaris has to be the dying breath of old GCN, Vega has to be an entirely new µarch.

buddy idk how your doom and gloom brand fits withing agreeing that it's a really good card for the price

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

wicka posted:

have they, though

buddy idk how your doom and gloom brand fits withing agreeing that it's a really good card for the price

Tonga was pretty close to this power efficiency on a 28nm node.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Knifegrab posted:

Wait for aftermarket coolers. It's good price performance so it wouldn't be a wrong pick, but it could really use a better cooler. Also 970/290 or higher shouldn't bother applying unless you're right at that level and want a new feature bad.

FaustianQ posted:

Hopefully it's that GloFo magic.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Knifegrab posted:

It's a tiny bit better than a GTX 970, at similar prices.

That makes us sad.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Reviewers looking for the bright side are saying it's drat good against Pitcairn in every way, which is completely true. The 7870 / 7850 are also 4 years old, though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MrBond posted:

So wait, is the general consensus that the RX480 is a stinker? On the surface it seems reasonable for the price.

I'm coming from a 7870 so maybe I'm easy to appease.

It violates the PCIe spec and as such would probably void your motherboard warranty if you plugged it in. It probably won't actually break anything if you don't overclock or crossfire, but a foursome of overclocked cards overdrawing from the PCIe slots was a reasonably common way to burn out your motherboard back in the bitcoin days, so it is within the realm of possibility.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

wicka posted:

It's the only card on a new process at this price-point. The concern is that the competition can demolish it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Wait for aftermarket coolers. It's good price performance so it wouldn't be a wrong pick, but it could really use a better cooler. Also 970/290 or higher shouldn't bother applying unless you're right at that level and want a new feature bad.
The only feature it has over those is DP 1.3/1.4proto support

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Knifegrab posted:

The good is that its near 970/290 levels of performance for $200. If that's all that matters (as to most) you will like it.

What appears to be the bad is, to put it short, is it does it in kind of a lovely way. Again, not too important if you just want as much performance for $200 as you can get.

The practical negatives are it runs hotter than anybody thought it would due to the power consumption - while not high by overall GPU standards, its unexpected - it will be kind of noisy with the reference cooler which will be the only ones at the MSRP.

Another negative thing to me is the 8 gb version is $240, which starts to erode its value. Which is fine as there is a 4gb version ... but AMD shipped it with lower memory speed (:rolleyes:). Worst case scenario to me is that it actually is different memory, say GDDR5 from the earlier 2010's that can't reliably overclock to stock 8 gbps of the 8gb card , which would give you incentive to opt for 8gb version simply due to performance. Best case scenario is you can simply OC it to 8+ gbps reliably - although this has shady implications on AMD's end.

Another tripping point to me is you will probably have to choose the reference edition since any aftermarket cards will simply cost more. This card only works because of its price, the more you tack on the lamer it gets.

Nvidia responded with a 1060 announcement. Based on how Pascal has been doing so far and the disappointing details about exactly how the 480 works, there is a very high chance the 1060 will be a better card. But the flip side to that is nobody knows how much its going to cost (not $200, thats for sure), and we can definitely be pretty drat sure availability will be extremely poor.

So as long as the 480 performs at a level you want and you're careful not to spend too much on it, its probably the card you want... as long as you dont mind a noisy reference cooler.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

OMFGLOL
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qfy9d/i_work_at_amd_the_time_has_come_to_ama_about/d4so3bn

If you don't want see some hilarious poo poo, here is a summary: AMD may get taken to court over the RX480 pulling 100W out of the PCIE bus. They either fix their poo poo or drop calling the card a PCIE card.

AMD now claims the card is 110W as well? Either intentional deception or AMD has completely hosed up on the driver and it's tell the card to pull way more power for a specific scenario than it needs too. If it's the former, jesus christ AMD, if it's the latter then loving "laffo:, RX480 is okay and getting it's poo poo wrecked by AMDs own drivers. BTW, second quote is from Raja himself.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'll point out that NV hasn't even shown a 1060 chip yet, so who knows with those guys.

480 needs reasonably priced aftermarket coolers (usually not a huge problem as far as I can remember).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You know, if you are locked into FreeSync or otherwise believe it is a good enough value proposition to pretend that NVidia doesn't exist, then AMD has done an alright job competing with themselves...:

R9 290: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/19

Idle - 87w
Furmark - 384w
Crysis 3 - 381w
Load Noise Crysis 3 - 57.2db

RX 480 4gb: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview/6

Idle - 80w
Furmark - 228w
Crysis 3 - 296w
Load Noise Crysis 3 - 50db

75 watts off is still good right? :unsmith:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Zero VGS posted:

You know, if you are locked into FreeSync or otherwise believe it is a good enough value proposition to pretend that NVidia doesn't exist, then AMD has done an alright job competing with themselves...:

R9 290: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/19

Idle - 87w
Furmark - 384w
Crysis 3 - 381w
Load Noise Crysis 3 - 57.2db

RX 480 4gb: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview/6

Idle - 80w
Furmark - 228w
Crysis 3 - 296w
Load Noise Crysis 3 - 50db

75 watts off is still good right? :unsmith:

Just curious, why are you so interested in system wattage? Do you have prohibitively high energy prices or is it just kind of a hobby type thing?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LogicalFallacy posted:

I know this discussion was happening several pages back (thanks AMD), but I appear to have spectacular self-control compared to some people in this thread. I'm waiting for the 1170, though it's fun hearing my non-technology inclined brother wonder why I'm already planning an upgrade. (I just built my PC 2mo back.)

Oh yeah well *thinking quickly* I'm waiting for the 1180Ti, sounds like you have no impulse control.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
To add insult to injury, Newegg eBay store has 980 Ti classifieds for $410 again.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Barry posted:

Just curious, why are you so interested in system wattage? Do you have prohibitively high energy prices or is it just kind of a hobby type thing?

Watts cause heat, which requires cooling, which causes noise.

I have a MSI R9 390 and I can tell you that despite this being one of the most quiet coolers, it gets pretty drat audible when running at full blast.

(In reality, I now have enough of these things in my office that the heat output itself is becoming a problem)

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
Sweet.

1070 G1, plenty of room to OC the CPU if needed.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Holy crap there are actual 480's in stock on launch day. I forgot what that was like :smith:
4GB Sapphire with 2000 MHz vram for 219€, no gouging in Germany.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'dhold off on buying the RX480, they can harm your motherboard.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
You can backorder the Gigabyte G1 1070 now if you are getting sick of trying to buy the 1 that ever comes in stock. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

This is going to be the 4xx series "3.5GB", isn't it.

Thing is, unless you need a GPU right now the 470 is likely to be even better performance per dollar, and I'm sure they'll get game bundles sometime soon.
VVVV

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Despite /r/AMD having a complete shitfit, this 480 still seems like an upgrade for me. I'm one of those poors that it's aimed at. I'd shoot for a 1070 but it's pretty much priced out of my budget right now. It's unsurprising to me that the reference cooler on an AMD card is absolute poo poo.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Skuto posted:

It would be fairly OK, if not for the power usage numbers. If those don't bother you, and you can get it for the announced price, it's a great card.

The problem of it just being "OK" is that NVIDIA can throw their excess 970 stock at it with discounts while the RX 480 price remains above MSRP.

For my desktop I'm more price conscious than power I think and I don't OC, so this seems like it'll fit the bill nicely. I like perf/watt efficiency but I guess a 1070 is the ideal here and I'm definitely not spending the $ on that.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Its a solid value buy and would be a nice upgrade for you but you should probably wait for the 3rd party AIB's to put out one with a better HSF. The reference HSF is fine for stock clocks but you can't really OC at all with it. They're supposedly coming in mid July. Waiting for the 1060 to launch would be a good idea too. If nothing else the price on the RX480 might go down a tad or you might even just want the 1060 instead.

I'm waiting for Vega/Big Pascal to even consider upgrading. So far my lowly 290 is soldiering on wonderfully. I don't NEED to upgrade, its just ingrained into me at this point to at least WANT to though. I probably won't even buy Vega/Big Pascal since my frugalness has been winning out these last few years now. So not unless one or the other gets way cheap.

I might just wait too - either for a 970 price drop, a 1060, or just the tweaked RX480s I guess. I've waited this long, I can keep going I suppose.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

This is going to be the 4xx series "3.5GB", isn't it.
It's an AMD card so there's like 15 more memes he's going to regurgitate

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

This actually based on something?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

This actually based on something?
It pulls 100w off the PCIE channel and 100W from the 6pin when overclocked because it's a card that's already well within the diminishing returns curve for voltage-to-clock, and in some cases it pulls 80w at stock.

For reference, I pulled 120w off a lovely B85 motherboard for a year without incident before I dropped the CPU on the LGA pins.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Thanks for the tips guys, a bit disappointing, but I will still keep my head up for the 1080ti.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Barry posted:

A lot of my hobbies revolve around energy efficiency; I'm working on an off-grid RV for instance, so 75w less means less solar panels, batteries, weight, and air-conditioning to off-set the heating from the PC. It pays dividends.

But there's some other advantages in the meantime, like lower power bills and noise, and I am in to VR; if I build one of those VR "room-scale" backpacks to wander around a holodeck untethered to anything, 75 watts can add another hour of runtime to the laptop batteries it would be running from.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

A lot of my hobbies revolve around energy efficiency; I'm working on an off-grid RV for instance, so 75w less means less solar panels, batteries, weight, and air-conditioning to off-set the heating from the PC. It pays dividends.

But there's some other advantages in the meantime, like lower power bills and noise, and I am in to VR; if I build one of those VR "room-scale" backpacks to wander around a holodeck untethered to anything, 75 watts can add another hour of runtime to the laptop batteries it would be running from.

Don't you still have to be tethered to the lighthouses for the Vive, or are those wireless?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

That's a way better answer than most gamers have. Usually it's the sort of answer where replacing a lightbulb with an LED would do a much better job.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Twerk from Home posted:

Don't you still have to be tethered to the lighthouses for the Vive, or are those wireless?

I believe lighthouses are just IR blasters? Saw a video, looks like they plug into the wall for power and nowhere else.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

The lighthouses are wireless. The "VR Backpack" won't actually work with the Rift though, but it does with the Vive because the tracking system is inverted.

xthetenth posted:

That's a way better answer than most gamers have. Usually it's the sort of answer where replacing a lightbulb with an LED would do a much better job.

Seeing incandescent lightbulbs in TYOOL 2016 does make me irrationally angry though.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I believe lighthouses are just IR blasters? Saw a video, looks like they plug into the wall for power and nowhere else.

They have a motor that spins and scatters a timed laser, they are standalone units though the two base stations do need so communicate with each other over a cable or bluetooth. The Vive has sensors that read it and report to the PC over USB. That's why you can use a laptop or a PC with batteries in a backpack, and run around the room "wirelessly". The Rift's cameras send the data to the PC instead of the headset, so they can't work in that scenario.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 29, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

The lighthouses are wireless. The "VR Backpack" won't actually work with the Rift though, but it does with the Vive because the tracking system is inverted.

Yeah, I googled and saw that. Super cool stuff, but it looks like the sweet spot for that is going to be an i5-6500 and GTX 1070 if you're going for VR power efficiency within a sane budget.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Gonkish posted:

Despite /r/AMD having a complete shitfit, this 480 still seems like an upgrade for me. I'm one of those poors that it's aimed at. I'd shoot for a 1070 but it's pretty much priced out of my budget right now. It's unsurprising to me that the reference cooler on an AMD card is absolute poo poo.

Same here ... I want to wait for better coolers, but I want to play current games (Doom, etc) at high prettiness NOW, so I may not be able to wait. My card is over 3 years old now, and this smokes it for $200 - I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD say the 480 was independently tested at PCI-SIGs lab, and didn't have any power issues there: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/d4sy0c3

:iiam: