Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RX 480 could be good for you since it's cheap, though I haven't examined the benchmarks in detail yet. It came out today.

However, if you want VR, you should probably consider a 1070. I don't have any experience with it myself, but I hear it's fairly graphically demanding.

To be honest, if you want state of the art I think it's going to be hard to stay under €800 even if you keep some parts from your previous build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Mostly gaming, the other stuff i'll be doing won't really be system dependent.
What's your budget? 800 bucks
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Nadda
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p is fine, i just want to be able to play the latest games and have them look pretty.

I tried to go through and put one together but i have no idea what i'm looking at. My current system is about 7 years old and just won't cut it with any newer titles. Any help at all is appreciated!

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I'm looking for some initial advice on a new build for a home server. Most of what is in this thread is geared towards gaming, so I haven't seen much to use as a starting point besides the OP. I am perfectly comfortable building my own system, but I have never done anything but gaming builds and I really don't know much about server oriented hardware. To get started:

What are you using the system for? Home server (media storage and serving via Plex, general file repository for the family)
What's your budget? Flexible. I am in the early stages and really don't know what is reasonable or not. I will be using FreeNAS though.
What software do you need to use? I plan to run FreeNAS and most importantly running Plex.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Not gaming at. Will run headless.

So, as I said, I plan to run FreeNAS. While I will probably start with just a single pool and 5 or 6 disks, I would like to be able to at least double that down the road. I understand that I need an ECC capable ram/Mobo. What I really need input on is the CPU/Mobo. I just am not familiar enough with this to judge what makes sense vs whats under powered and whats total overkill. At a minimum I need the system to be able to run at least 3 transcoded high bitrate 1080p plex streams at once. I prefer to pay a bit more and make sure it wont complain when several people try and access it at once, even if that is not a super common situation. I don't know if this is an issue that requires any extra attention but of course I need a quality Ethernet board. I will be serving both internally on the LAN and out across the net. I have a symmetric gigabit internet connection.

The OP shows ASRock C2750D4I with Intel Avoton C2750 (octo-core Atom) as recommended for the NAS, is this current? It seems to be an older chip and some brief googling shows it to be very low power vs consumer Intel stuff. I guess the trade off is lower power consumption? Like I said, I don't know poo poo about server hardware.

notes: Once I get a handle on the core of the system, then I can look at cases/hdd/powersupply. No need to get into those yet. Thanks.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Loose Ifer posted:

What are you using the system for? Mostly gaming, the other stuff i'll be doing won't really be system dependent.
What's your budget? 800 bucks
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Nadda
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p is fine, i just want to be able to play the latest games and have them look pretty.

I tried to go through and put one together but i have no idea what i'm looking at. My current system is about 7 years old and just won't cut it with any newer titles. Any help at all is appreciated!

I'll take a crack at it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($247.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $812.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 12:22 EDT-0400

- Best price/performance i5
- Saving money with a no frills motherboard and 8 gigs of RAM, you can go up to 2x8 if you want, or could put in another 2x4 later as the motherboard has enough slots.
- Picked an SSD only; a 250GB one and a 1TB hard drive is also a (slightly cheaper) option if you want more space and don't mind possibly having to juggle things onto the SSD sometimes
- The 970 is still the card to beat as far as 1080p goes. The RX 480 is in the process of launching but it's looking like it'll have the same price and performance at best, and that's once the aftermarket cooler versions come out
- Cheap but good mATX case
- High quality PSU with a ridiculously long warranty, currently cheap thanks to a rebate.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 29, 2016

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

HMS Boromir posted:

I'll take a crack at it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($247.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $812.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 12:22 EDT-0400

- Best price/performance i5
- Saving money with a no frills motherboard and 8 gigs of RAM, you can go up to 2x8 if you want, or could put in another 2x4 later as the motherboard has enough slots.
- Picked an SSD only; a 250GB one and a 1TB hard drive is also a (slightly cheaper) option if you want more space and don't mind possibly having to juggle things onto the SSD sometimes
- The 970 is still the card to beat as far as 1080p goes. The RX 480 is in the process of launching but it's looking like it'll have the same price and performance at best, and that's once the aftermarket cooler versions come out
- Cheap but good mATX case
- High quality PSU with a ridiculously long warranty, currently cheap thanks to a rebate.

This is loving perfect man! Thank you so much, exactly what i'm looking for!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I have a budget of about $250 CAD for a new GPU. My case can't accept cards longer than 10", and it doesn't have great ventilation, so I'm looking at a 960 for the lower tdp.

I think I'll go with this one, unless someone tells me otherwise. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/YqkwrH/asus-video-card-strixgtx960dc2oc4gd5

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

unpronounceable posted:

I have a budget of about $250 CAD for a new GPU. My case can't accept cards longer than 10", and it doesn't have great ventilation, so I'm looking at a 960 for the lower tdp.

I think I'll go with this one, unless someone tells me otherwise. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/YqkwrH/asus-video-card-strixgtx960dc2oc4gd5

I would definitely look at snagging a 480 if you can get it for less than that price. Although I've heard they are expensive in Canada :(. They just released today.

Also guys I wanted to share one thing about my recent build since the Fractal Design R5 gets recommended a lot. It was easily the most easy and pleasurable case I've had to work on yet, EXCEPT 1 thing:

The top cable grommet where you route the CPU 8-pin power plug is TOO SMALL. I ran into a part where I had to pretty much un-do everything i had done and remove everything out of the case, but I was unable to get the cable back through on either end. Luckily I got a modular power supply so I just had to unplug it from the PSU and the mobo and let it hang there while I did the work. I even tried to force it and very nearly broke the clip off of the power plug. I bet it all the way around and its barely hanging on now. If I ever have to replace my PSU or mobo it's going to be a pain. Can you remove those rubber grommets?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bleh Maestro posted:

I would definitely look at snagging a 480 if you can get it for less than that price. Although I've heard they are expensive in Canada :(. They just released today.

They're too expensive. The 8gb models are online for ~$340 cad from what I saw. Given the difference between USD and CAD prices, I'm guessing the 4gb versions will be ~$280, which is still outside my budget.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

unpronounceable posted:

They're too expensive. The 8gb models are online for ~$340 cad from what I saw. Given the difference between USD and CAD prices, I'm guessing the 4gb versions will be ~$280, which is still outside my budget.

Wow, ouch.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I love this thread. Thanks to goon advice got my system up and running today. What a beautiful baby *we* built.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

After some quick googling, am I right that replacing my aging Geforce GTX 660 Ti 2 GB with a new GTX 950 would not actually be a performance upgrade, but mostly just lower noise levels and power draw? Possibly even have worse performance on some workloads?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

unpronounceable posted:

I'm in a similar boat - Canadian, and I'm currently on a 760 (I think) and looking for a decent upgrade. Willing to pay a bit more - maybe 300-400$? The 970 is what I initially had in mind, but I guess there's the new radeon cards to consider?

It's tempting to be irresponsible with my money and just go for a 1070, or 1080, but they're really pricey here, and i don't know I can justify that when I'll probably be spending the next several months just playing WoW. (But looking to pick up BF1 and maybe TitanFall 2 at some point and with how new Doom ran on my current card I'm pretty sure I need an upgrade.)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 29, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

RX 480 could be good for you since it's cheap, though I haven't examined the benchmarks in detail yet. It came out today.

However, if you want VR, you should probably consider a 1070. I don't have any experience with it myself, but I hear it's fairly graphically demanding.

To be honest, if you want state of the art I think it's going to be hard to stay under €800 even if you keep some parts from your previous build.

Just checked out a benchmark and the RX 480 appears to be on par or slightly slower than a 970 OC (which is the bare minimum required for VR afaik).

For a suggested retail of 200$ (4GB) that's not bad since 970s currently cost 250-300$, but I'm guessing Nvidia will promptly drop the 970 price, so until we get custom versions of the rx480 it should be a wash... and not quite what I'm looking for honestly, for "normal" 1080p gaming my current card is just starting to show its age and it still runs almost everything on medium/high details, excluding maybe the latest cutting edge games - it was a good buy and I wish to get another card that'll last me 4 years.

I'm thinking the 1070 is what I should be getting but it costs 450$ and that's more than I'm comfortable spending on a brand new GPU, especially when the high end AMD cards still have to come out. Oh well I'll get VR headset + new GPU later on, waiting for price drops / competition to work its magic :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 29, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

TorakFade posted:

Just checked out a benchmark and the RX 480 appears to be on par or slightly slower than a 970 OC (which is the bare minimum required for VR afaik).

For a suggested retail of 200$ (4GB) that's not bad since 970s currently cost 250-300$, but I'm guessing Nvidia will promptly drop the 970 price, so until we get custom versions of the rx480 it should be a wash... and not quite what I'm looking for honestly, for "normal" 1080p gaming my current card is just starting to show its age and it still runs almost everything on medium/high details, excluding maybe the latest cutting edge games - it was a good buy and I wish to get another card that'll last me 4 years.

I'm thinking the 1070 is what I should be getting but it costs 450$ and that's more than I'm comfortable spending on a brand new GPU, especially when the high end AMD cards still have to come out. Oh well I'll get VR headset + new GPU later on, waiting for price drops / competition to work its magic :v:
I've been following the GPU megathread, and that 970 was a factory OC, so nowhere near as high as it can go, and the 480s are all OCed way past where they should be in order to make them seem more appealing. They've been measured pulling between 160 and 170W and running really hot. If you can be patient, it seems the 1060 might be better for you.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The 480s need aftermarket coolers real bad, I wouldn't buy one with a blower. They may turn out pretty good for the price once they get them though.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
How long do those take to usually come out? I can buy every other part for my PC, but if it'd be better to wait, I could deal with integrates graphics for the time being.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

unpronounceable posted:

Buy a used 970, you might be able to get one for around that price.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
I'm trying to help a good friend of mine build his new computer. He's very much an Apple guy, and this will be his first Windows machine in over a decade. He wants this one to last a decent while.

It'll be primarily for 1440p gaming with a solid possibility of moving up from there.
Some Creative Suite work (mainly video and graphics) will also be done on this machine, as will some heavy code compiling.

These are the parts he's wanting to buy right now.
CPU: i7 6700K
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Impact
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2x16GB kit
Storage: Intel 750 U.2 800GB
Video Card: Asus Strix GTX 1080
Case: Fractal Design Nano S
Power Supply: Seasonic X-650

Is he over-investing on any parts of this machine?
I can already tell you he's pretty eager and determined to get that ridiculously fast but very expensive U.2 drive, though I think he's also open to the slower (but way cheaper) M.2 from SanDisk.
The GPU of choice is obviously not available at the moment, so he's on notification lists for Newegg and B&H.
The PSU there is one that I've initially recommended to him based on my own positive experience with a similar Seasonic.

MisterAlex fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 29, 2016

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

MisterAlex posted:

I'm trying to help a good friend of mine build his new computer. He's very much an Apple guy, and this will be his first Windows machine in over a decade. He wants this one to last a decent while.

It'll be primarily for 1440p gaming with a solid possibility of moving up from there.
Some Creative Suite work (mainly video and graphics) will also be done on this machine, as will some heavy code compiling.

These are the parts he's wanting to buy right now.
CPU: i7 6700K
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Impact
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2x16GB kit
Storage: Intel 750 U.2 800GB
Video Card: Asus Strix GTX 1080
Case: Fractal Design Nano S
Power Supply: Seasonic X-650

I can already tell you he's pretty eager and determined to get that ridiculously fast but very expensive U.2 drive, though I think he's also open to the slower (but way cheaper) M.2 from SanDisk.
The GPU of choice is obviously not available at the moment, so he's on notification lists for Newegg and B&H.
The PSU there is one that I've initially recommended to him based on my own positive experience with a similar Seasonic.

That intel drive is seriously retarded when you can get a Samsung 950 pro. (If you are looking for the fastest best most crazy overkill SSD that you won't even notice in the real world).

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 29, 2016

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Heads up: Rumor is that the RX480 goes over power limits on the PCIE bus. If true, you might void your motherboard warranty with one.

This is probably like the 3.5GB debacle, but I would hold off on any new model GPUs and stick with integrated for a few weeks for the 1060 to see how it fares.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

MisterAlex posted:

I'll second what the chap above me says and state that he would be seriously overpaying for that SSD.
Trying my had at an adjusted build for you:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($319.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($719.99)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2213.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 15:32 EDT-0400

Changed the cooler to a nice, cheap one that this thread recommends a lot.
Changed the motherboard to mush cheaper one with an M.2 slot.
Changed the storage to a slightly less excessive M.2 for a boot drive (the 950 EVO is cheaper and would also be perfectly fine), and a 1T data drive that's also fairly excessive. Price comes out to only slightly more than the monster you were looking at.
Used the savings from the mobo to get faster RAM, which will be far more noticeable than a faster SSD.
The power supply is the one your link leads to.:D

edit: I'm sort of surprised at how few Z170 mITX mobos have M.2 slots.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 29, 2016

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

LogicalFallacy posted:

I'll second what the chap above me says and state that he would be seriously overpaying for that SSD.
Trying my had at an adjusted build for you:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($319.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($719.99)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2213.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 15:32 EDT-0400

Changed the cooler to a nice, cheap one that this thread recommends a lot.
Changed the motherboard to mush cheaper one with an M.2 slot.
Changed the storage to a slightly less excessive M.2 for a boot drive (the 950 EVO is cheaper and would also be perfectly fine), and a 1T data drive that's also fairly excessive. Price comes out to only slightly more than the monster you were looking at.
Used the savings from the mobo to get faster RAM, which will be far more noticeable than a faster SSD.

edit: I'm sort of surprised at how few Z170 mITX mobos have M.2 slots.

Be careful with that case and a recirculating graphics card. The power supply will be about a half inch away from the card for half its length. The nano s is very much designed for custom water cooling. The node 304 or better yet the core 500 are superior cases if you don't mind the shape.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

buffbus posted:

Be careful with that case and a recirculating graphics card. The power supply will be about a half inch away from the card for half its length. The nano s is very much designed for custom water cooling. The node 304 or better yet the core 500 are superior cases if you don't mind the shape.
Good to know. I know next to nothing about cases, so I just left the one he was looking at.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Oh, whoops... I mis-linked because his shared Google doc has the wrong link. Fixed it in my post and in his doc.

And regarding the U.2/M.2, he follows a lot of tech blogs, and according to whatever he's read, the U.2 is expected to move into mainstream as fast or faster than M.2 did. For my money, I would still prefer the vastly cheaper and moderately higher capacity M.2 at this point in time. I think he's still open to my way of thinking; I just know he's got stars in his eyes for that 4x read and 1.5x write over the M.2.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Toebone posted:

I've got an older gaming PC I inherited, it was built a few years back. It runs most of the stuff I play fine (Civ, Hearthstone, etc) but it chugs a bit with newer stuff (ie Doom). I used to build my own PCs 10-15 years ago, but haven't really kept up since then.

i5-2500 @ 3.3 GHz
16 gigs ram
GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Am I correct in thinking the GPU is the weak link there? Anyone want to recommend a good bang-for-my-buck upgrade?

Edit: Whoops, I forgot there's two of the GTX 560s in there. I just turned on SLI, hopefully that gives me a boost.

Quoting myself because the new AMD cards are out and it seems they didn't quite live up to expectations. Should I still be looking at the 480, or would a $200-ish Nvidia card be just as good?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Toebone posted:

Quoting myself because the new AMD cards are out and it seems they didn't quite live up to expectations. Should I still be looking at the 480, or would a $200-ish Nvidia card be just as good?

There's no $200 NVIDIA card that's as good as the 480 right now, but the 1060 is supposed to launch in a few weeks, and there will surely soon be custom 480s, which could be much more interesting than reference..

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Toebone posted:

The rumored announcement of the GTX 1060 is next week on July 7th, with the 14th as the rumored release day. It's probably best to wait until then, at the very least wait until the aftermarket cooler cards for the RX 480 come out around the same time.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The rumored announcement of the GTX 1060 is next week on July 7th, with the 14th as the rumored release day. It's probably best to wait until then, at the very least wait until the aftermarket cooler cards for the RX 480 come out around the same time.

When did things change? Last I heard, the 1060 was going to be released in the fall. If it's coming out in a couple weeks, I can struggle with my 6870 for a few weeks longer.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

When did things change? Last I heard, the 1060 was going to be released in the fall. If it's coming out in a couple weeks, I can struggle with my 6870 for a few weeks longer.

There's a rumor and a leak consisting of a picture of a card that says 1060 on the cooler. It's a pretty firm maybe. Thing is waiting for aftermarket cooled 480s is a good idea on its own.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004
Never built a computer before, so here's my first attempt. Still kinda overwhelmed by all the options.

What are you using the system for? Gaming at 1440p, statistical computing (R). Decently CPU intensive.
What's your budget? ~1500

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY CS1311 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (Purchased For $445.00)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1450.69

My biggest confusions are around:
-How do I choose a CPU cooler? I figured liquid>air, and tried to pick a decently cheap, decently rated one. Having never built a computer before, is a liquid setup any harder to install?
-Do I need to buy thermal paste, or does a CPU come already pasted?
-Ditto motherboard. I know I want a Z, but what's the difference between the one I picked and a $150 gaming pro super duper whatever. As far as I could tell it was just SLI support, which I don't care about.
-Is the power supply overboard? My thought process was basically 1) yay efficiency, so go for gold 2) I know you aren't supposed to cheap out, so I'll pick the cheapest gold from a brand I've heard of.
-The case is probably overkill. Tons of fans so it's probably noisier than it has to be. Also, I'll probably only have 2-3" of clearance on the side of the tower (between desk and wall), so the the whacky side fan will not accomplish much. The fractal design R4/R5 look more reasonable, but spending an extra $50 on the case seems like a bit of a waste, and I could always just turn off the side fan.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

junidog posted:

-How do I choose a CPU cooler? I figured liquid>air, and tried to pick a decently cheap, decently rated one. Having never built a computer before, is a liquid setup any harder to install?
Unless you're into XTREME OVERCLOCKING (doubtful if it's your first build) I would not bother with liquid cooling. A good air cooler will do the job just fine, and you won't run the risk of ending up like this poor guy. Most coolers come with thermal paste these days, just double check the one you buy to make sure.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Yeah. I would go with air unless you really know what and why you want liquid cooling (grabbing a couple extra frames from maximum possible overclocks) at the cost of possibly spilling and ruining your whole computer at any moment. Even though it's rare. I have heard that they will cover the cost of something like that happens but I would do the research if you decide to still go with water.

E: paste should be included with whatever CPU cooler you buy; I think that case is HUGE (pretty sure), 750W is overkill for a single 1070 and never planning to SLI but that's a pretty good price I guess; fancy mobos usually just have a few extra goodies and better power phases for higher overclocking. Ummmmm did I miss anything?

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 30, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

junidog posted:

Never built a computer before, so here's my first attempt. Still kinda overwhelmed by all the options.

What are you using the system for? Gaming at 1440p, statistical computing (R). Decently CPU intensive.
What's your budget? ~1500

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY CS1311 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (Purchased For $445.00)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1450.69

My biggest confusions are around:
-Ditto motherboard. I know I want a Z, but what's the difference between the one I picked and a $150 gaming pro super duper whatever. As far as I could tell it was just SLI support, which I don't care about.
-Is the power supply overboard? My thought process was basically 1) yay efficiency, so go for gold 2) I know you aren't supposed to cheap out, so I'll pick the cheapest gold from a brand I've heard of.
-The case is probably overkill. Tons of fans so it's probably noisier than it has to be. Also, I'll probably only have 2-3" of clearance on the side of the tower (between desk and wall), so the the whacky side fan will not accomplish much. The fractal design R4/R5 look more reasonable, but spending an extra $50 on the case seems like a bit of a waste, and I could always just turn off the side fan.

I made some adjustments:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($116.32 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.85 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($18.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1460.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 20:40 EDT-0400

1. Outside of very heavy overclocking, air>water cooling as far as price/performance goes. This cooler can match 240mm AIOs and is cheaper too. It's one of the best coolers on the market if you don't mind the ugly looking fans. It's pretty big, so you might have to remove that side fan on the case.
2. The cooler listed comes with good enough paste, you don't need to buy any separately.
3. Swapped out your SSD for a better one. PNYs are garbage with high failure rates. 850 EVOs are faster and waaaay more reliable, and you won't miss the extra capacity if you manage your storage well.
4. Got you a better PSU. EVGA NEXs aren't great compared to the GS or G2 lines. Plus, 750w is kinda overkill for a single GPU.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Speaking of coolers, I'm gonna squee for a second: last December I snagged an early Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 120 before any reviews had come out. European shops were selling it for basically the same price as a medium-high grade air cooler, and I figured that a well-known brand doing a more or less standard Asetek AIO design wasn't going to push out a complete turd. Plus, Arctic was making some pretty bold claims re: cooling and noise, and I figured even accounting for marketing speak there should have been some real numbers behind them.

Well, it turns out those marketing claims were pretty much on point: I just discovered that since then HardOCP reviewed it and showered heaps of praise all over it (as well as over the 240mm version). I'm very happy to know that I'm well set for when I eventually need to squeeze extra oomph out of the 6600k (still running at nearly-stock for the time being).

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
At the moment, it's probably safest to hold off and wait til the dust settles a bit regarding GPU's, right?

Already ordered/bought some of the items for my build...Just two questions, then I'll shut up.

Does this motherboard seem good to match with a 6600K?

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/r3yxFT/msi-motherboard-z170asli

And does it make more sense to get 32gb of this memory,

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/mNcMnQ/gskill-memory-f42400c15d32gis (2400)

or

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3Mbkcf/corsair-memory-cmk32gx4m2b3000c15r (3000)

Thanks.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Do you need 32gb of ram for something?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I made some adjustments:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.49 @ Amazon)

1. Outside of very heavy overclocking, air>water cooling as far as price/performance goes. This cooler can match 240mm AIOs and is cheaper too. It's one of the best coolers on the market if you don't mind the ugly looking fans. It's pretty big, so you might have to remove that side fan on the case.

I think there was recently some test of different fan configurations that showed the importance of side fan, so it is probably better to choose a smaller cooler that fits inside with a side fan.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Bleh Maestro posted:

Do you need 32gb of ram for something?

I do actually do some higher end photo editing, as well as video editing as well; Hence why I'm looking to max it out now.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Killer_B posted:

At the moment, it's probably safest to hold off and wait til the dust settles a bit regarding GPU's, right?

In the $200 range, definitely, in the higher range, depends what's on sale today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Saukkis posted:

I think there was recently some test of different fan configurations that showed the importance of side fan, so it is probably better to choose a smaller cooler that fits inside with a side fan.

Speaking of that test, has anyone figured out how to implement the side fan intake in an R5 without totally compromising the filtration? Fractal Design didn't see fit to put a filter over there