Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
CM Punk is going to kill a man with his bare hands on live tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Himself via asphyxiation

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

CM Punk is going to kill a man with his bare hands on live tv

And validate straight edge in front of millions of people, oh no poo poo Dave Huckaba

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
CM Punk is gonna G2S that guy so hard that his head is gonna pop off like a goddamn rock em sock em robot

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
CM Punk will poo poo himself on live TV for the second time

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Is smearing yourself in your feces a valid MMA tactic? If so, Punk has a chance of winning because most people wouldn't punch a poop golem.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Helicity posted:

Is smearing yourself in your feces a valid MMA tactic? If so, Punk has a chance of winning because most people wouldn't punch a poop golem.

You say that, and yet 2 of Travis Browne's 3 losses are by KO.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What do my knuckles say?

(Please dont hurt me is smeared in poop)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Cavauro posted:

Himself via asphyxiation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh7yaCKV-j0

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Helicity posted:

It worked for Tim Sylvia

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think he's gonna win

Aesop Poprock posted:

It worked for Tim Sylvia

then you don't know dick about the world of Mixed Martial Arts!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

CM Punk is going to get punched once then crawl around on the mat crying and begging the police to help him.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Eat Bum Zen posted:

agreed

I think Punk will get a massive adrenaline dump, gas out really quickly, and cower like a baby as soon as gall starts landing leg kicks and smashing left hooks through his forearm guard

Historically most guys who've done both have said that the one thing prowrestling actually does help you with in mma is having enough experience performing in front of crowds that you don't get the big adrenaline dump or "octagon jitters" that most first-timers get.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/6/29/12056624/stephanie-mcmahon-ufc-fighters-lose-credibility-upon-defeat

quote:

"Brock is a unique proposition, but just to get to the broader question: UFC is not a competitor to the WWE because we are entertainment and UFC is competitive sport," McMahon said in an interview with Business Insider. "It's very different. WWE is all about protagonists and antagonists where ultimately our conflicts are settled in the ring with action that is akin to Hollywood."

"It's incredible stunt-like action and the match itself tells a story, but our audience is engaged in the characters and their storyline. It has to be relatable to them so that they care to see the tragedy or triumph and we're at an advantage because we can script it."

McMahon also further delved into the differences between both companies, revealing that while they do not fully support Lesnar’s fight, it still gives the WWE some free publicity that benefits them at the end of the day.

"UFC, they can make a big star but the second that person loses, they lose credibility, and how do you continue to make that star rise? So I think we have the best of both worlds and the opportunity to tell the stories in the way we want to tell them," McMahon said.

"We are not supporting the fight necessarily but, again, it's not a competitor to us and the more that our superstars, that's how we refer to our talent, the more they do outside of WWE, the more awareness it generates and the broader the audience can be that is then brought back into our properties. So we recognize the value of that."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We don't compete with UFC at all, which is why we waited until Brock was in UFC to talk to him again, signed him to a contract where he can do whatever the gently caress he wants, and gave him a god-push.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They also haven't known how to do that new rising star thing in a decade.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DeathChicken posted:

new rising star

Bring back Val Venis

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

fatherdog posted:

Historically most guys who've done both have said that the one thing prowrestling actually does help you with in mma is having enough experience performing in front of crowds that you don't get the big adrenaline dump or "octagon jitters" that most first-timers get.

i guess I shouldn't confuse what I want to happen so that I can keep looking down on WWE fans with what is realistically true :(

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Eat Bum Zen posted:

i guess I shouldn't confuse what I want to happen so that I can keep looking down on WWE fans with what is realistically true :(

Please don't look down on Tom Lawlor

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

fatherdog posted:

Was it most? I mainly remember Batista saying how incredibly nervous he was in his post-fight of his only pro fight and that was pretty relevant to Punk's situation since Batista started at an old age (albeit a lot older than Punk) and was also a top star in the WWE.

Regardless, Punk seems like he has such a chip on his shoulder in everything that he'd not be overcome by nervousness.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Punk is gonna die.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Mystery Opponent posted:

CM Punk will poo poo himself on live TV for the second time

Smackdown is pre-taped, so this would be the first!

Keg posted:

Please don't look down on Tom Lawlor

He's a TNA fan, so it's still ok to look down on him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How do I submit a petition to the UFC to have Mark Hunt replace Mickey Gall after UFC200?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

How do I submit a petition to the UFC to have Mark Hunt replace Mickey Gall after UFC200?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Ohio?wprov=sfla1

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Watch CM Punk "accidentally" DQ himself to keep his heat! :mad:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He could employ the dreaded Jon Jones hold my fingers out and let you stab yourself in the eyes with them plan. Except he probably isn't tall enough to make that work.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Losing does not imply credibility loss, jesus woman. No wonder you have your fans rioting in the stands.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Losing is bad, therefore we're gonna make all our popular guys lose a lot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

coconono posted:

Losing does not imply credibility loss, jesus woman. No wonder you have your fans rioting in the stands.

I don't know, I watched Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit go to a razor tight decision and as soon as I heard Robbie won I immediately realised Condit is a terrible fighter and was never good.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

coconono posted:

It kinda does though, look how much people turned on Rousey after her 1 loss when she was the biggest star ever before that

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

manyak posted:

It kinda does though, look how much people turned on Rousey after her 1 loss when she was the biggest star ever before that

i guess in the WWE credibility loss is also not a really big deal to individual superstars, whereas people like Ronda in the UFC probably take that poo poo really hard? i'm not sure how high level athletes feel about losing in a completely flummoxing way ala Rousey Holms

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

i guess in the WWE credibility loss is also not a really big deal to individual superstars, whereas people like Ronda in the UFC probably take that poo poo really hard? i'm not sure how high level athletes feel about losing in a completely flummoxing way ala Rousey Holms

Yeah definitely, plus i gotta think getting your rear end actually kicked hurts and sucks more than getting it fake kicked

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

manyak posted:

I think the way she lost and her behavior after had more to do with it than actually losing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

manyak posted:

Announcing to the press she couldn't eat apples, was making GBS threads in the woods and wanted Travis Browne's babies didn't help her standing in the eyes of fans.

Ronda's still money. When she goes in against Miesha Tate, people will get excited about it. Easy to follow narrative to get people rooting for either side.

coconono fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 29, 2016

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I agree but thats part of the game, her being so emotionally invested in being undefeatable/the best, and airing out her issues in public is part of why she was really popular to begin with. Plus lets be real people on this site were calling her a dumb oval office who was always bad and stuff the moment she got knocked out, not weeks later when she took an out door poo poo

I just think its true that its harder to promote stars in a sport where losing means getting beaten up and humiliated, with everything that goes along with that

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I remember people turning on Rousey months before her loss to Holm.

The Sandy Hook tweets, her awful "do nothing bitch" viral speech, and her general unstable personality is pretty off putting.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

E: wrong thread but Ronda had people who didn't like her before she lost, they just got insanely vocal and mean about it immediately after

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

manyak posted:

I agree but thats part of the game, her being so emotionally invested in being undefeatable/the best, and airing out her issues in public is part of why she was really popular to begin with. Plus lets be real people on this site were calling her a dumb oval office who was always bad and stuff the moment she got knocked out, not weeks later when she took an out door poo poo

I just think its true that its harder to promote stars in a sport where losing means getting beaten up and humiliated, with everything that goes along with that

I thought that was a running joke? like when a fighter loses, we're all obligated to point out he/she was always terrible?

I'd agree that its probably hard to get anyone not-Brazilian excited about Jose Aldo right now. But on the flip, those same fans will fly to vegas, and do the whole VIP packages thing.

The mechanics of fight promoting are similar to wrestling and boxing promoting where the wins and losses are just things you use to promote the fight. Good promoting is a combination of name value, match interest and accessibility.

To bring this around to Punk/Gall: If Punk loses, UFC's going to have to work harder to keep interest in Punk*. If Punk wins and its not a decisive/exciting finish, same problem. Punk murders Gall in front of his family, then UFC's biggest problem will be the wait for when Punk's ready to fight again.

*If this happens, gently caress his fight contract and put him in as Rogan's replacement. Other than Julie Kedzie, MMA is really short on fighters that know what its like to get destroyed in the cage. Interesting perspective.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

coconono posted:

I thought that was a running joke? like when a fighter loses, we're all obligated to point out he/she was always terrible?

The running joke is based on the reality that fighting is really "what have you done for me lately" and when someone loses people start nitpicking all their old fights and unironically claiming they knew they were always bad

Anyway i get your point, its not like people totally stop caring about a fighter that loses, but lets say youre an up and coming prospect with momentum and you get your rear end kicked: everyone saw you get beaten up and arent excited about you anymore, then its a couple months off training for concussion protocol, a couple months to get back into training, and a year later your next fight on Fight pass everyones like who is this guy? I dont really know pro wrestling but i doubt up and coming guys have to worry that if they lose badly in a pre-planned fake fight that their career could be over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

In wrestling, it's pretty much a given the new guy is going to lose. A lot. This is done nowadays as part of the learning process(it used to be straight hazing). The job for the new wrestler is to learn how to lose profitably.

With the advent of social media that part's pretty easy. Get out there and do interesting stuff. MMA fighters are doing this too. Whether it's Sage and Paige doing flips or Bec Rawlins's butt, it keeps the fans engaged and willing to part with money.

• Locked thread