Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, I googled and saw that. Super cool stuff, but it looks like the sweet spot for that is going to be an i5-6500 and GTX 1070 if you're going for VR power efficiency within a sane budget.

The Rift/Vive recommended specs that developers are told to shoot for is the i5-4590 CPU and a 970/290 GPU, so I'd wager the i3-6320 and RX 480 could hit the sweet spot for a lot less money.

Edit: That said, it's never a bad idea to overkill with VR... missed frames equals puke, and there's no *-sync to save it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

AMD say the 480 was independently tested at PCI-SIGs lab, and didn't have any power issues there: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/d4sy0c3

:iiam:
user environments are ....kind of a bit more variable than industrial lab testing.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Jesus, the RX480s are 299€ here in Italy.
At this point, trying to snatch a FE 1070 for about 460 seems a way better deal.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Char posted:

Jesus, the RX480s are 299€ here in Italy.
At this point, trying to snatch a FE 1070 for about 460 seems a way better deal.

What is with some countries just pricing things higher, it's super weird.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
It in fact seems like it is GloFlops fault, according to Kyle Bennet (HardwareOCP hilariously had the most rosy picture of the RX480)

Kyle Bennett posted:

AIB partners are reporting to me this morning that with extremely good custom air coolers the 480 GPUs are seeing from 1480MHz to 1600MHz clocks, but tell me it is a "lottery draw" on GPUs.

That's quite a margin overclocking performance, it looks like GloFlub needs to fix their poo poo. If the process is garbage enough to produce highly variable max clocks, is it possible it's also affecting the average power consumption as well? IIRC, this was an issue with GloFlos 32nm FD-SOI and Bulldozer, correct?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

It'd normally be 250-260 EUR but brexit happened

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Zero VGS posted:

A lot of my hobbies revolve around energy efficiency; I'm working on an off-grid RV for instance, so 75w less means less solar panels, batteries, weight, and air-conditioning to off-set the heating from the PC. It pays dividends.

But there's some other advantages in the meantime, like lower power bills and noise, and I am in to VR; if I build one of those VR "room-scale" backpacks to wander around a holodeck untethered to anything, 75 watts can add another hour of runtime to the laptop batteries it would be running from.

Oh awesome. I'm interested in energy efficiency as well (to some degree, not nearly as much as you I'm sure) but my power prices are so low that I rarely factor power consumption into my computer component purchasing decisions. I pay ~9cents/kWh and have already taken care of the low hanging fruit (LED lights everywhere, hourly pricing, etc so my bill is absurdly low.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

user environments are ....kind of a bit more variable than industrial lab testing.

True, but this is the first card I've heard of having this issue so I imagine PCI-SIG has a pretty pimp lab and testing environment to account for that. At this point I'm expecting some AMD side software gently caress up.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

xthetenth posted:

22% VAT + quite some gouging.
The cheapest FE1070 I'm finding right now is 473€.
I don't think I can do much better than this.

My 6870 is feeling slower than usual, today.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Admiral Ray posted:

True, but this is the first card I've heard of having this issue so I imagine PCI-SIG has a pretty pimp lab and testing environment to account for that. At this point I'm expecting some AMD side software gently caress up.

Yea, again as I posted earlier, sounds like a gently caress up either in the BIOS or a driver issue, either causing misallocation of where it draws power, or simply that's drawing way too much for a given scenario.

Also 110W for the ASIC, 40W for the GDDR5. Err, would you get more headroom out of a 4GB model vs an 8GB model? Also this kind of points to full Vega being 200-220W, and cut Vega being 175-185W. That's not apocalyptic really, depends on price and perf.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Tax.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Seemed to me to be more than would be easily explained by tax.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So is the 480 an upgrade over a 380? I feel sort of like an idiot for getting a 380 last year since it's generally been a :geno: kind of card.

Getting Freesync would be nice, since it seems like the better implementation.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

axeil posted:

So is the 480 an upgrade over a 380? I feel sort of like an idiot for getting a 380 last year since it's generally been a :geno: kind of card.

It's faster at every resolution, so yes definitely: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/19.html

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

axeil posted:

RX 480 performance is about that of an R9 390, so it's definitely an upgrade, also in power consumption.

In Germany the 4G model is now in stock for 219 EUR, which sounds excellent.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GPU Megathread - New 480, same as the old 480

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FaustianQ posted:

It in fact seems like it is GloFlops fault, according to Kyle Bennet (HardwareOCP hilariously had the most rosy picture of the RX480)

That's quite a margin overclocking performance, it looks like GloFlub needs to fix their poo poo. If the process is garbage enough to produce highly variable max clocks, is it possible it's also affecting the average power consumption as well? IIRC, this was an issue with GloFlos 32nm FD-SOI and Bulldozer, correct?

1600 mhz would make it good.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

It's faster at every resolution, so yes definitely: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/19.html

Oh wow. I have the lovely 2 GB 380 so according to this it looks like I'll gain around 30% in terms of performance at 1080p. Are the heat/wattage issues really a big deal for someone who doesn't overclock and has nothing insane in his system? $250 for an 8 GB card that gives a gain like that is a drat good upgrade. Like good enough I'd consider running to MicroCenter and getting one tonight.

Or have I drank the AMD kool aid?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

axeil posted:

Oh wow. I have the lovely 2 GB 380 so according to this it looks like I'll gain around 30% in terms of performance at 1080p. Are the heat/wattage issues really a big deal for someone who doesn't overclock and has nothing insane in his system? $250 for an 8 GB card that gives a gain like that is a drat good upgrade. Like good enough I'd consider running to MicroCenter and getting one tonight.

I think you drank the AMD kool-aid when you got the 380 and are running such short upgrade cycles. The 480 is a fine GPU for people coming from 3+ year old things.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

axeil posted:

Oh wow. I have the lovely 2 GB 380 so according to this it looks like I'll gain around 30% in terms of performance at 1080p.

100 / 63 means a 59% performance gain.

quote:

Are the heat/wattage issues really a big deal

No, the card is fine. Just not where it was expected to be.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Definitely wait on sapphire's custom coolers IMHO

Also, didn't someone from sapphire straight up say they're putting a 1500MHz 480 out? How's that going to work??

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Has anyone tried reapplying thermal paste on the RX480 to see what that does to temps yet?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Durr, phone posting. 59% is legit good and I'd consider it once the better coolers drop.

axeil posted:

The 2 GB 380 is pretty meh. I'd definitely wait for an aftermarket 480 and run it longer than you have that 380 if you really want to go that route. It's not the same good buy it could be if you were on a weaker card. OTOH, if you're actively running into a memory wall in some of your games, I'd strongly consider upgrading from it once the better cooled cards/1060 drop.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

When they are measuring power at the PCI-E Slot, how in the heck are they doing that exactly? I can understand the system level power draw total just swapping the cards and measuring the entire system usage. (which also may show more power draw for a total system when it's Nvidia vs AMD due to the AMD Driver overhead possibly pushing the CPU harder for the same scene).

Also the stock AMD cooler does look like it is another revisit of the drat 3870 days with that not full copper cooler. Man if they could eventually just throw some R&D at the stock cooler and let that cooler be the standard for all their future cards rather than using essentially the cheapest aluminum block with a copper slug they can get their hands on.

Then again it also is the "480" this isn't the old 4870/5870 days where the X8XX) numbers were the High End, so outside of the power usage, this X8X series seems to actually have some grunt that I never saw with the 280/380 cards. If the AIB can infact push 1400-1600mhz on a custom cooler that can reign the temps down to 70C or lower all maxed out quietly, this thing may actually not be a completely terrible card for the $200 range.

I guess time will tell as drivers and the hardware matures a bit.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Yea, again as I posted earlier, sounds like a gently caress up either in the BIOS or a driver issue, either causing misallocation of where it draws power, or simply that's drawing way too much for a given scenario.

Also 110W for the ASIC, 40W for the GDDR5. Err, would you get more headroom out of a 4GB model vs an 8GB model? Also this kind of points to full Vega being 200-220W, and cut Vega being 175-185W. That's not apocalyptic really, depends on price and perf.

rumor on anandtech is the review models of the 480 have a unique BIOS that lets it switch between 4GB and 8GB, so they can bench both models with one card. that could be the issue.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

wicka posted:

rumor on anandtech is the review models of the 480 have a unique BIOS that lets it switch between 4GB and 8GB, so they can bench both models with one card. that could be the issue.

They outright said that on reddit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

When they are measuring power at the PCI-E Slot, how in the heck are they doing that exactly?

They put a special riser between the card and motherboard that has current shunts on the power lines, and measure the voltage drop over them with a multimeter.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

axeil posted:

The 380 is indeed a super meh card, particularly the 2GB.

It's an upgrade, but I would wait another 2 weeks to see what the 106) has to offer. It will probably be faster and cooler at $50 extra cost or so. The RX 480 is frankly just not a very good card.

The 380 will do FreeSync, and FYI G-Sync is the better (and more expensive) implementation.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 29, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

axeil posted:

Well, don't run out and buy one RIGHT NOW, wait a couple weeks for non-reference cards with better coolers to come out.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

1600 mhz would make it good.

Looking at Gamers Nexus, it looks like the RX480 and GTX970 are clock for clock similar performance, the RX480 sometimes leaping a bit ahead. So a 1500Mhz card should be consistently, what Fury levels? 1600Mhz nipping on a Fury X? Likely for something stupid like 230W.

EDIT: At 1080p of course, as the 32ROPs seem to kill any potential this card has at higher resolutions. The ROP difference is likely why it can't catch a 390X stock to stock.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Durr, phone posting. 59% is legit good and I'd consider it once the better coolers drop.

The 2 GB 380 is pretty meh. I'd definitely wait for an aftermarket 480 and run it longer than you have that 380 if you really want to go that route. It's not the same good buy it could be if you were on a weaker card. OTOH, if you're actively running into a memory wall in some of your games, I'd strongly consider upgrading from it once the better cooled cards/1060 drop.

Yeah I got into trouble as my old card up and died on me so I was forced to either shell out a lot for a new Nvidia card that seemed silly for 1080p gaming or try and go cheap with AMD. I clearly chose poorly :smith:

And yeah, the RIGHT NOW bit was hyperbole. I'd wait for a non-reference cooler since it's a no-brainer.

Although given my 380 experience I'm now super hesitant about pulling the trigger on any new card. Maybe I should wait another year? I have no idea any more.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1.7x efficient*

*than a Fury X

axeil posted:

Although given my 380 experience I'm now super hesitant about pulling the trigger on any new card. Maybe I should wait another year? I have no idea any more.
Welcome to the "i want more performance but there's no upgrade at a price I'm actually willing to pay for" club, enjoy your looooooooooong stay :shepicide:

Fallorn posted:

I have bad opinions and think the 480 is perfectly fine for a $200 card to play most games.
It is, once the shrink-wrapped 390s and 970s become extinct.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I have bad opinions and think the 480 is perfectly fine for a $200 card to play most games.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

axeil posted:

Yeah I got into trouble as my old card up and died on me so I was forced to either shell out a lot for a new Nvidia card that seemed silly for 1080p gaming or try and go cheap with AMD. I clearly chose poorly :smith:

And yeah, the RIGHT NOW bit was hyperbole. I'd wait for a non-reference cooler since it's a no-brainer.

Yea I'd just wait longer. Especially if you're just sitting at 1920 * 1080.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

axeil posted:

We're not likely to see a bigger leap than we see now due to the process shrink, though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

repiv posted:

They put a special riser between the card and motherboard that has current shunts on the power lines, and measure the voltage drop over them with a multimeter.

Wouldn't it be more reliable and likely for them to measure the amps flowing through?

I managed to find another computer that has enough juice to test my busted 7870 and it has the exact same failure mode on that computer's D-sub monitor. So the good news is that it's probably not my motherboard and that my old 4850 is just also busted.

Now it turns out the 480 is a bit of a letdown and I'm seriously considering going for a 1070 instead. Because, even though I was more than ready to stretch my 7870 for a while longer (at 1080p), if I'm buying some new card I want to at least get something actually good.

What are brands to look out for/avoid on the Nvidia side of things (in Europe/NL)? And are prices expected to drop at all because everything seems to be around € 520+ and that's "I'll tough it out a bit longer on Intel HD Graphics 2500" money. :retrogames::smithicide:

My only other hope is the 1060, but that's also waiting at least a month for non-reference coolers to come out and I wanna play computer games again. :(

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I mean, just wait a few months for prices to settle, custom coolers to come out, review sites to compare aftermarket cards, see what price the 1060 gets released at, etc. A 380 isn't so cripplingly old that it's really demanding an upgrade just to play games.

There's definitely not going to be any more huge jump any time soon though, no.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!

KingKapalone posted:

You can backorder the Gigabyte G1 1070 now if you are getting sick of trying to buy the 1 that ever comes in stock. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871

Is this one of the best 1070 choices out there? There are so many options and I feel really silly that I can't tell the difference between one and the other.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

TroubledWaters posted:

Is this one of the best 1070 choices out there? There are so many options and I feel really silly that I can't tell the difference between one and the other.

Clocks are good but IIRC when they tested the 1080 version of that card the cooler was rather noisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Prices seem to be coming down a little bit here and there, B&H has the MSI Aero 1070 for $410 right now http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1260391-REG/msi_gtx_1070_aero_8g_oc_geforce_gtx_1070_aero.html