Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

DJ Dizzy posted:

I dunno, I was just being sure to cover my bases.

I'll only be offended if you use the wrong, post-war design. :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'll only be offended if you use the wrong, post-war design. :ussr:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007G85T0U/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4 I was thinking these

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

When in a toy mans shop that I get to visit about once a year over the weekend I noticed Zvezda had released a Ferdinand somehow without me noticing. I kind of wish I had tried to check the army lists before buying three of them, because they're crazy pricey toys in mid or late war. Would have been better off grabbing a Tiger instead of one, or even getting a couple of Sd.Kfz.222s or something.
Following up on this, I found that I have an old .pdf list for 653. Schwere Panzerjägerabteilung which looks like it might be a fun/terrible list to run. Three Ferdinands is 900 points, and then I can fill out the list with a single platoon of infantry, some Nebelwerfers and a few other odds and sods.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

It honestly, genuinely does not matter one bit, but those are post-war. You can tell mostly by the fringe on the flag.

These are better, but obviously cost more, especially shipping from the US (I'm guessing you're in the UK).

On the other hand, I did find these which are post war, but a way cheaper option.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

It has been a while, but I don't remember my Rus levies being that hard to activate. I hated them anyways though, because they didn't have javelins for "reasons".

im assuming you played rus princes since pagan rus levies have javelins, but ive included their battleboard entry as well

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

im assuming you played rus princes since pagan rus levies have javelins, but ive included their battleboard entry as well
I think it was pagans actually, but if you know the guy I learned to play with you'd understand the confusion involved. We're bad at wargaming together.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Is there anyone with experience in Cold War Commander? How are the die mechanics?

And now I'm asking for Cold War stuff: what about Team Yankee? I love the visuals and the idea, but just 2 armies and what seems like limited choice of units is kinda holding me back on splurging £75 on the Soviet starter force (even though the pound is only getting cheaper for us Euro's thanks to Brexit). Are there new things coming out or is it just whats available right now?

Neferreth
Feb 21, 2011

Commissar Kip posted:

Is there anyone with experience in Cold War Commander? How are the die mechanics?

And now I'm asking for Cold War stuff: what about Team Yankee? I love the visuals and the idea, but just 2 armies and what seems like limited choice of units is kinda holding me back on splurging £75 on the Soviet starter force (even though the pound is only getting cheaper for us Euro's thanks to Brexit). Are there new things coming out or is it just whats available right now?

The West Germans are on the verge of being released. And getting more varied unit choices than US and Soviets even.
The British should follow later this year.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The pound isn't getting that cheaper :/

I've been reading Cold War Commander some time ago, and the mechanics are... interesting? You need to get enough hits per turn to kill a unit. All the hits gets erased before the other turn. Also, D6s rule the day, tanks have a simple D6 armor roll.

All in all, I'd say it seems complex, but nothing near to God-drat FFoT.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

TY is okay but the rules kinda made me feel like I was taking a step more for everything than I had to. Admittedly I have VERY little play experience with it, so it could just be learning steps still. I kind of want to use the minis for another system though because the models are really nice and I want to pick some up. I'm looking forward to them releasing some minor PACT nations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm going to be a dad in two weeks' time, so, even though I'm getting kind of bored with FoW, I thought I'd stick to something mainstream and easy, figuring I wouldn't have the mental capacity to go full grog, and started looking at Team Yankee. Holy poo poo those kits are expensive! One of the (many) reasons I stopped playing GW games is that I got tired of dropping €150+ and only have a third of a playable army!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

JcDent posted:

The pound isn't getting that cheaper :/

I've been reading Cold War Commander some time ago, and the mechanics are... interesting? You need to get enough hits per turn to kill a unit. All the hits gets erased before the other turn. Also, D6s rule the day, tanks have a simple D6 armor roll.

All in all, I'd say it seems complex, but nothing near to God-drat FFoT.

It's really not complex at all. A very simple game. There's a write up i made in the original post. I've played a lot of it and Blotzkrieg Commander.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

secretly a baby posted:

I'm going to be a dad in two weeks' time, so, even though I'm getting kind of bored with FoW, I thought I'd stick to something mainstream and easy, figuring I wouldn't have the mental capacity to go full grog, and started looking at Team Yankee. Holy poo poo those kits are expensive! One of the (many) reasons I stopped playing GW games is that I got tired of dropping €150+ and only have a third of a playable army!

I was initially really excited but then I saw those prices. 90 euro's for the Russian starter which would give me 9 tanks, 2 hinds and an Artillery & Salvo Template. If I'd buy all those things separately I'd be paying:

2 x box of 5 tanks = 73 euro
1x box of 2 hinds = 27 euro
1x Artillery & Salvo Template = 20 euro

Total: 120 euro

Which would mean a 30 euro discount for an army which wouldn't be that playable.

Still: HOLY loving poo poo. For 90 euro's I can get a 1000 point starter army for Bolt Action (or use the Warlord Build an Army tool on their website), or buy TWO (!!!!) 6mm armies from Baccus.

Even GW's hilariously overpriced new Age of Sigmar "Start Collecting!" packs are only 65 euro's.

All I have to say left is summed up in a single emoticon: ;_;

EDIT: Is there a cheaper option for Team Yankee, like Zvezda or Toy Soldier Company is for Flames of War?

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 29, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I like the Team Yankee but poo poo painting 80 little soviets will take forever. It took me like over 2 hours to finish a single rpg team

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Zvezda produces the wrong type of T-72 and their M1 is poo poo. The Gvozdika and Shilka seem nice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
you could always play it in 6mm instead, and buy the minis elsewhere. As a bonus it will be super quick to paint tanks in 6mm.

E: just checked GHQ, and they sell packs of 5 tanks for 12 dollars.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 29, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I can get TY stuff at trade price and even then it feels overpriced as hell. I do like the minis though and am tempted to get some for a different system entirely.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

you could always play it in 6mm instead, and buy the minis elsewhere. As a bonus it will be super quick to paint tanks in 6mm.

But you don't understand! I want the convenience of a package deal but I just don't want to pay for it!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

secretly a baby posted:

But you don't understand! I want the convenience of a package deal but I just don't want to pay for it!

True that.

Speaking of something completely different, we had a playtesting weekend for our viking skirmish game, and it was pretty successful. The rules are currently in Swedish, and I'm working on the layout and such, and we haven't finished the actual campaign rules. But it's a pretty nifty (IMHO) skirmish game, and I'd love to translate it to English if there are people who are interested in it.

Here we are playing so late that even the Nordic midsummer sun gave up on us:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
I would try that game.

lilljonas posted:

gently caress that, Heroics and Ros for 50p a tank :getin:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
I would try that game.
gently caress that, Heroics and Ros for 50p a tank :getin:

Cool. I have three weeks of vacations and nothing to do, so I will ask the main co-designer if he's ok with me putting up the rules in English here once I get the basic rules translated.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Commissar Kip posted:

Team Yankee is pretty awesome yeah.

As far as unit/faction/etc... selection being low its not as big of a deal as you might think, and TY has only been out about 8 or so months so give it time. Germans are soon and Brits (maybe) by the end of the year.

As far as prices go the BF plastics are about as cheap as its going to get, resin stuff not so much.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so out of my league painting these small TY minis. I'm used to years of 40k, the large models have made me soft in my arrogance

forgive me, little soviet men, for I make you look as monsters

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Don't try paint them the same way. Basecoat each section and just give the lot a wash of black or sepia will do just fine. If you want to go nuts do some "bad" edge hilighting on them before the wash.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arquinsiel posted:

Don't try paint them the same way. Basecoat each section and just give the lot a wash of black or sepia will do just fine. If you want to go nuts do some "bad" edge hilighting on them before the wash.

So that's why it took me like 4.5 hours to paint 3 men.

So many mistakes to correct, such small detail

I can def. see a market for TT gaming nerds, you know, like those medical robot surgeon things? Where you can make ultra-precise movements using like a pair of robo-tongs?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Seriously, the smaller the model the easier it is too paint. They ain't heroic scale 32mm so stop trying to paint them like that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

For little dudes, at 15mm or smaller the only sane standard is "does this look ok held at arms length ?" Remember, people will be awed by the whole panoply of your force, not picking over every tiny man.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

lilljonas posted:

True that.

Speaking of something completely different, we had a playtesting weekend for our viking skirmish game, and it was pretty successful. The rules are currently in Swedish, and I'm working on the layout and such, and we haven't finished the actual campaign rules. But it's a pretty nifty (IMHO) skirmish game, and I'd love to translate it to English if there are people who are interested in it.

Here we are playing so late that even the Nordic midsummer sun gave up on us:

id like to see these rules as well :black101:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For example, here's my whole drat Flames of War British Infantry Tank Company:

Basecoat, badab black wash, varnish and done. The fukkan bases had the most attention paid to them, because I always do a drybrush of lighter brown there and glue on static grass. This is enough at 15mm to get people crazy impressed (although even just finishing a whole army does that some places...).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I cant upload since Im on my phone but heres a dropbox link to the guys I have done so far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alpgevk8fhpaaty/20160629_171949.jpg?dl=0

They look ok? Very lovely lighting aside.

Also do they look cold war soviet enough? Im not concerned with accuracy to a year but yall think they could pass in Team Yankee?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think with a black wash those guys will look just the right amount of try. For that colour scheme I might consider undercoating white though.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
My procedure for 15mm infantry is to user a color primer, paint exposed flesh, paint a few details (boots, weapons, helmets, etc...) using maybe one or two colors, then wash.

To do a stand of FoW/TY infantry this way (discounting drying time between each step) takes maybe 15 minutes including the time it takes me to base them.

Assuming you did a simple pva glue plus sand base for them (what I do uses modeling paste and that takes a full 24 hours to cure), you should be able to paint up a FoW infantry platoon in a few hours.

Tanks are so dumb simple you can paint hundreds in a hour or two. Color Primer again, paint tracks and wash.

Edit: this would be for minimum "table ready" stuff. I generally take longer because I want to so I rarely follow this procedure.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 30, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Painting large blocks of 6mm infantry is the best possible way to teach yourself efficient batch painting imo. I've started doing 28mm guys again after a couple years of painting only 6mm units and I'm way quicker than I was when I only had 28mm experience.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Painting large blocks of 6mm infantry is the best possible way to teach yourself efficient batch painting imo. I've started doing 28mm guys again after a couple years of painting only 6mm units and I'm way quicker than I was when I only had 28mm experience.

I paint my 6mm with shades and highlights because I'm a big moron and unable to let go and take advantage of the scale.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

lilljonas posted:

I paint my 6mm with shades and highlights because I'm a big moron and unable to let go and take advantage of the scale.

On the other hand whenever you post pics of your zillions of teeny immaculate banners and stuff I get really jealous as I stare at my sea of brown/grey/blue infantry, so please continue to suffer so I can appreciate the results.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

On the other hand whenever you post pics of your zillions of teeny immaculate banners and stuff I get really jealous as I stare at my sea of brown/grey/blue infantry, so please continue to suffer so I can appreciate the results.

Thanks, and good news! We're aiming to do Napoleonics, at the club this autumn, starting with the invasion of Russia. I'll be doing the French side, so hopefully I'll get around to posting a sea of blue doomed liberty fighters in a while.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

How do you go about painting 6mm guys? Do you prime and paint them individually then base them, or base them first and then paint?

I have a bunch of 6mm samurai I have been meaning to get around to for years now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Lord_Hambrose posted:

How do you go about painting 6mm guys? Do you prime and paint them individually then base them, or base them first and then paint?

I have a bunch of 6mm samurai I have been meaning to get around to for years now.

Paint then base, its much easier - otherwise the rear rank doesn't get painted properly.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I paint a base coat on all my guys, glue them on base, glue sand on base, wash the guys+sand, drybrush base, static grass base. Results of doing it over and over:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

TANKS!

Something i haven't seen advertised at all regarding this, is the fact that you get all the cards in the box for all current tanks they've released and will be releasing. So if you've already got an existing collection that has stugs, panzer IV, comet, cromwell or Firefly and the russian tanks, you don't need to purchase any expansions at all!

Also this is probably the gateway drug i needed to get into flames of war (late) because two other dudes in my club have come forward that they'll be up for some games. Is the new Open fire! box worth it to get the rules, some more shermans and whatnot? plus that small german army so i can try and rope even more fools into historicals.