Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Barry posted:

Prices seem to be coming down a little bit here and there, B&H has the MSI Aero 1070 for $410 right now http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1260391-REG/msi_gtx_1070_aero_8g_oc_geforce_gtx_1070_aero.html

Still $10 more than windforce which has a real cooler and a backplate :classiclol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
How much more will AIBs charge for actual heatsinks on an RX480?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I clearly have bad opinions, because I think that the 380 isn't a card that targets any of us thread regulars, as opposed to a "disappointment" or "letdown" of a card.

This poo poo is targetted at the people who are poking their head into this thread for the first time asking about the 380 or haven't been in this thread since 2013/2014.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Bleh Maestro posted:

Still $10 more than windforce which has a real cooler and a backplate :classiclol:

Sure, but if you're price sensitive and impatient, you can actually buy this one.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I am repasting my 1070 and was pretty surprised to see the chip shaped as if it were a CPU, with a little arrow in the corner to drop it into a socket and everything. After googling some other cards I repasted I realized yes they are all like this its just that metal box around the outside edge is missing. I feel dumb now, how else would it go in the board :( lol

somethingawful will be the first to know in the world(!!!) if repasting a pascal card does anything... I know this is terribly exciting and you cant hardly stand it, but you'll have to wait an hour or two :f5: :f5::f5:

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

What are the favorite non reference 1080 cards out right now? I'm looking for easy moderate overclocks and or the quietest cooler, and really stability / reliability over everything else.

e: Maybe a more interesting question, I've been asked to spec a system for my nephew and apparently the only game he plays is Minecraft. I think I'll give him my old 2500k CPU based system and build a new one for myself, will any graphics card be ok? Onboard? 750/950? Probably needs dl-dvi so I can give him one of my Korean 27" 1440p monitors and get a Gsync 27" for myself.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 29, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I am repasting my 1070 and was pretty surprised to see the chip shaped as if it were a CPU, with a little arrow in the corner to drop it into a socket and everything. After googling some other cards I repasted I realized yes they are all like this its just that metal box around the outside edge is missing. I feel dumb now, how else would it go in the board :( lol

somethingawful will be the first to know in the world(!!!) if repasting a pascal card does anything... I know this is terribly exciting and you cant hardly stand it, but you'll have to wait an hour or two :f5: :f5::f5:

That seems like a silly way to void your warranty.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I clearly have bad opinions, because I think that the 380 isn't a card that targets any of us thread regulars, as opposed to a "disappointment" or "letdown" of a card.

This poo poo is targetted at the people who are poking their head into this thread for the first time asking about the 380 or haven't been in this thread since 2013/2014.

Agreed, I've got friends who are looking real hard at it and it's pretty good for their requirements.

Skuto posted:

We're not likely to see a bigger leap than we see now due to the process shrink, though.

Yeah, this is the stumbling block for waiting. The price/performance curve mainly moves when new cards come out and then it stays static, so the sooner in a generation after the prices level out, the longer time you have to amortize the cost of the card, which makes it a better buy.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

These guys tried overclocking the 480 with a beefier cooler: http://oc.jagatreview.com/2016/06/teaser-overclocking-amd-radeon-rx480-ke-1-4ghz-dengan-cooler-3rd-party/

They tested four 480 units and got one of them to 1.425ghz, but the other three only made it to 1.33-1.35ghz. Silicon lottery confirmed :woop:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Were those VRM Thermal Pads already squished that bad out of the box? Seems kinda janky that they are already ripped and half falling off the parts. :/

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Some guy is asking for $160 for his 970 on craigslist.

Worth buying, put that money into a rx 480 or wait for the 1060?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

If it overclocks to 2500 you can sell it for the price of a 1080ti and lose negative dollars

If it fucks you pay the 1080ti's price on buying another 1070 for replacement

Follow that dream

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

objects in mirror posted:

The 480 is a ~210$ 970, so an actual 970 for 160$ is a real good deal.

Barry posted:

That seems like a silly way to void your warranty.

Some vendors do not give a poo poo if you take the stock cooler off, your warranty remains totally intact.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

objects in mirror posted:

Sounds like a good deal to me!

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Aquila posted:

the only game he plays is Minecraft. I think I'll give him my old 2500k CPU based system and build a new one for myself, will any graphics card be ok? Onboard? 750/950?

Question not clear. Are you asking what card he needs for Minecraft, or what you should get yourself?

Without more info the only thing I can say is that the 950 is dead now that the RX 480 (4G) is available.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MrBond posted:

So wait, is the general consensus that the RX480 is a stinker? On the surface it seems reasonable for the price.

I'm coming from a 7870 so maybe I'm easy to appease.

you are right it is reasonable.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

If anyone in the UK is interested in a 1070, Amazon is selling the Zotac Amp Extreme for £390 (or £360 with the student discount). This may be as good as it gets for a long time if the pound doesn't recover and stabilise.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The amount of :siren: in here is laughable, everywhere else is so much more "yeah, this is what we expected, this is what we got, and it's good."

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You know what looks really good? Rise of the Tomb raider on a 1070.

Is there anything right now with better graphics? I have the new DOOM but it doesn't seem as nice as Tomb Raider.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

The amount of :siren: in here is laughable, everywhere else is so much more "yeah, this is what we expected, this is what we got, and it's good."

/r/AMD is moving between "OMG gently caress YOU RAJA gently caress YOU AMD HOW DARE YOU MISLEAD US INTO THINKING YOU WERE MAKING A $200 1080Ti THAT WOULD SUCK MY DICK EVEN THOUGH YOU SAID NOTHING LIKE THAT AT ALL" and "It looks to be about what was expected." It's an interesting day.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Skuto posted:

Question not clear. Are you asking what card he needs for Minecraft, or what you should get yourself?

Without more info the only thing I can say is that the 950 is dead now that the RX 480 (4G) is available.

Sorry, I was asking both questions. Then I realized once I get a 1080 for myself I can give my 960 to my nephew and pretend I never made that mistake, killing three birds with one $700 stone.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

I went from a 550ti to a 380x and I am happy with my 200 dollar purchase, people moving from 660/750/760s will be happy with the 480, goons are being alarmist because a mid teir card can't beat a last gen high end card and only equal it. I would suggest buying the new 480 instead of a used card if only for the warranty and possible free game.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

wargames posted:

I went from a 550ti to a 380x and I am happy with my 200 dollar purchase, people moving from 660/750/760s will be happy with the 480, goons are being alarmist because a mid teir card can't beat a last gen high end card and only equal it. I would suggest buying the new 480 instead of a used card if only for the warranty and possible free game.

Gonkish posted:

/r/AMD is moving between "OMG gently caress YOU RAJA gently caress YOU AMD HOW DARE YOU MISLEAD US INTO THINKING YOU WERE MAKING A $200 1080Ti THAT WOULD SUCK MY DICK EVEN THOUGH YOU SAID NOTHING LIKE THAT AT ALL" and "It looks to be about what was expected." It's an interesting day.

Nah it really is kind of lame, but not for those reasons.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Were those VRM Thermal Pads already squished that bad out of the box? Seems kinda janky that they are already ripped and half falling off the parts. :/

No it was actually slightly gooey and came apart. But, because they were so gooey, it was easy to put the pieces back together and they kind of melded as one... very strange thermal pad material.

And to those about warranty, its fine, repasting cards is easy and good and nobody really cares. In fact there isn't even a "this will void your warranty" sticker anymore (and even then, that wasn't true most of the time).

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If it overclocks to 2500 you can sell it for the price of a 1080ti and lose negative dollars

If it fucks you pay the 1080ti's price on buying another 1070 for replacement

Follow that dream

always do janky poo poo during the return policy :)

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 29, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Well you see we're all interested in how much performance they can fit in 300W so we have an idea of how good they'll be for doing stupid things with money with.

So clearly a card being not good at needing few watts to do a certain amount of performance on an entirely different process is red alert type stuff.

Also something something I guess perf/W matters to some people now, enough that it outweighs the whole "is a good price for that performance" thing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The reason it sucks is that Nvidia already has the lead on the high end and AMD's performance per watt is horrible which means they will probably never compete this generation. Hope you're all looking forward to $850 MSRP 1080Ti.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm definitely interested in a ~trip report~

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

We subject ourselves to a rollercoaster of unrealistic expectations and post mortem justifications of wasted money in the form of founders editions because it's the only way we feel alive to brighten up our lives because we don't live in areas of conflict or impending economic downturn or government meltdown in progress and we need a way to shed the literal kilograms of salt we produce as a result of self inflicted disappointment

Don't take this away from us, especially not FaustianQ who is currently text-convulsing in sinusoidity and is making this thread a YOSPOS classic without being in there

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 30, 2016

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
Wow, clean sweep for the RX480 on the WCCFtech hype train.

Choo choo

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Bleh Maestro posted:

I'm definitely interested in a ~trip report~

Absolutely zero change. The numbers are exactly the same. We've come a long way, every 900 series card I repasted had low single digit improvements, but every 700 and 600 card I pasted was a minimum of 5 degrees and all the way up to 15.

50% fan speed at 67-68* Firestrike Extreme graphics test looping
54% fan speed at 69* Firestrike Ultra looping graphics
The fastest I've ever gotten these fans is 60%, thats in Overwatch with everything maxed out 1440p, resolution scaling 150%, frame cap removed with fast sync on (this pretty much works btw guys), and streaming via shadowplay. 60% is definitely audible, but 50% really isn't, and the temperature never hits 70 (in this exposed case anyway).

What's interesting still to me is changing the power target and core voltage % sliders (percent?) make zero change to temperatures. I'm not convinced its changing anything although it is reporting 111% power usage. Also it doesn't seem to affect overclock either but I haven't messed with it enough to really confirm that.

If they just added memory overclocking to boost logic somehow we would hardly have any reason to OC anymore, which would be nice.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

What the hell is an AIB

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Spatial posted:

What the hell is an AIB

An OEM, basically.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So is the 480's power-thirst a problem just for people trying to ride the line with their PSU, or does it also manifest in unpleasant hot-or-loud choices for people with decent PSUs? (Assume stock clocks for now, since it seems pretty clear that OC pushes into volcano-hurricane territory.)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I am mildly disappointed in the RX 480. I was hoping for the rumors of it being able to equal the GTX 980/R9 390X to be true, the rumors of GTX 1070 performance were always very obviously BS but 980 level performance was believable so the reality of sub-970 performance is a bit of a let down.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Man, I never thought the world of GPUs would be so interesting until I started following this thread. Does any other component generate this level of drama?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

fletcher posted:

Man, I never thought the world of GPUs would be so interesting until I started following this thread. Does any other component generate this level of drama?

CPUs did. Now there's just the canonical one big core architecture, and Intel iterates on it very slowly.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Wccftech is the cringiest tech enthusiast site I've come across. I feel ashamed every time I read it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The fact that it's only hitting 2/3 of NVIDIA's clockrates is unquestionably a letdown and the fact that it's consuming as much power as a 970 to do so is kind of a dickpunch.

The leak a month ago that they couldn't get it to validate past 850 MHz seems very likely to be true, and they goosed the voltage like crazy just to get to 1400 MHz. AMD obviously didn't plan on that either since their card exceeds the allowable limit for power consumption. It's literally a fire hazard especially if you try and overclock it further.

Once they do a recall and put an 8pin connector on it, it'll be an OK card (but until then you definitely shouldn't purchase a reference card). It's the exact same price and performance they offered with the 390 though, and frankly it's getting a bit old from AMD, especially when they actually raised the prices for Hawaii a year ago.

It's really no better or worse a deal than getting a 390 was a week ago, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of the card. You can call that a "disappointment" or a "letdown" or whatever you want, but it's true. Even once you no longer risk burning your house down it's still going to be a fairly mediocre offer until it gets down below $200.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
So if the prices of a AIB 970 and AIB 480 are the same, is there any reason to get the 480? Freesync?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

So is the 480's power-thirst a problem just for people trying to ride the line with their PSU, or does it also manifest in unpleasant hot-or-loud choices for people with decent PSUs? (Assume stock clocks for now, since it seems pretty clear that OC pushes into volcano-hurricane territory.)

170W is not problematic for decent PSUs. Obviously with a crap-tier PSU (like the ones that come in cases) you really have no guarantees, that "400W" PSU may crap out or explode at 200W, you just never know.

The RX 480 runs very hot with the reference cooler with default settings. If you turn up the fan, it runs a bit cooler but is also loud. An OC obviously makes everything worse.

The fact that it exceeds the PCIe specification for power consumption, on the other hand, is a severe problem. It's not good that it's overdrawing by 20% or so at stock settings but overclocking pushes it to >33% past the spec, which is reaching outright dangerous territory. The NEC and the UL consider the maximum peak current rating for wiring to be 25% past the continuous current rating, so there's no guarantee that it won't outright start a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Just remembered that my monitor is vga/ dvi inputs only.

Is there any induced lag or any issues with the display port to dvi adapters?

I'll probably end up getting a new monitor down the line but not for a while.