Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

ShadowMoo posted:

A patch was applied which removed the AI sentience.

cheers..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkh_U3DRrd4

good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
rage, rage against the dying of the light

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Is there a trick to getting promotions in 2.1? I've been sitting at 100% of my next rank for two days now but I haven't seen the old advancement missions pop up anywhere I've docked.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Conskill posted:

Is there a trick to getting promotions in 2.1? I've been sitting at 100% of my next rank for two days now but I haven't seen the old advancement missions pop up anywhere I've docked.

After the most recent patch they changed it so you actually have to do the missions in real life, in space, in order to rank up. A lot of people complain, but i think it's still not hard enough. Maybe elite dangerous just isn't for them :smug:

I've already bought my first half-dozen bolts for an Atlas V rocket.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkh_U3DRrd4

good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
rage, rage against the dying of the light

:suspense:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SkySteak posted:

OK just before I make an exploration ship, is it a bad idea to put weapons on one? I understand that you really shouldn't be in a fight but being completely defenceless sort of rubs me the wrong way. On top of that, do you really need a cargo bay? I am looking a Dimondback Explorer and I am wondering weather to just load almost all of it with fuel tanks scans a decent fuel scoop and a discovery scanner.

Edit: Anyway to get permissions to see the Discord or do you have to be a DF member for that?

This is the one I've used for my SagA* trip: AMFU and heatsink haven't been needed yet, even crashing into a few stars. If I was making a run to Beagle Point, I would fit an AMFU (since you can reup with crafting), but would probably avoid the heatsink. Each one only has 3 shots(?), so they are of limited use anyways.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer/0p0tdFfldddsdf5-------32f4432i2f.Iw1kAziQ.Aw1-kA==?bn=Bananarama

After using this a while, I'd recommend avoiding the extra tank and either taking cargo for picking up pods, or a hangar for landing on planets.

When I get back, I will run it like this for planetary landings: https://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer/0pataFflddfsdf52b1b1b----32v4402i2f.Iw1kAziQ.EwBjwkEYbMGYAscg?bn=Bananarama%20Mk2

I will swap the shields and thrusters out for the largest versions to make landings safer, and added weapons because I plan on upgrading the FSD, so I'm not bothered by the extra mass. I have never needed guns and haven't seen another human player (or an NPC) since I left the bubble.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Eek. I'm way outside the bubble right now in my first Asp and didn't put heat sinks on it and my distributor is kind of just big enough for one boost if I need it. I have already jumped into binary systems but thankfully on their outside edge.

How many jumps until I die from a tragic space accident?

Never? If you zero your throttle before you land, it is essentially impossible to crash into a star. Coming out of superluminal into a binary system is scary, but you have to try to break your ship via the heat mechanic. Someone had a video of them trying to kill themselves in a star and it taking, like, 10 minutes or something absurd. I'm too lazy to find it, or it's in one of the old threads.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, I went to the core and back with 30% hull and never used a heatsink. Even without zeroing the throttle you'll almost always be fine.

I've seen videos of binaries where you get dropped way too close to one of them but never ran into one myself.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

One thing I've noticed while out here is that some planets have that blue ring around them as if you can land, but I get close and end up getting the message "dropping out, too close." I go into orbital flight first but never drop into actual glide mode. What am I doing wrong there?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

One thing I've noticed while out here is that some planets have that blue ring around them as if you can land, but I get close and end up getting the message "dropping out, too close." I go into orbital flight first but never drop into actual glide mode. What am I doing wrong there?

Maybe you accidentally loaded elite dangerous instead of elite dangerous horizons? That happened to me once.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Blind Rasputin posted:

Eek. I'm way outside the bubble right now in my first Asp and didn't put heat sinks on it and my distributor is kind of just big enough for one boost if I need it. I have already jumped into binary systems but thankfully on their outside edge.

How many jumps until I die from a tragic space accident?
I had my first encounter with jumping inside a star one jump before I got to SagA*.

I jumped straight out as soon as I could, though, so it wasn't instant death. Just keep an eye when jumping in, and be ready to truck on out of there if you see a giant glowing ball whizzing past.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Made it to the North American Nebula tonight.

The nebula lighting is much more pronounced than I imagined. Pretty worth the trip.

I think I'll bebop around on the trip back in and then do some missions until the July patch hits and materials gathering gets easier for the engineers.

I only saw one earth like the entire time out and about. Three water worlds, and named a ton of planets. I felt like the systems were repeating themselves in an area with a brown dwarf and four pink rocky planets for a stretch.

How far out do you have to go to start seeing neutron stars and black holes?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Speaking of nebulas, have they reopened the Orion cloud complex (Orion nebula/Horshead nebula/Barnad's Loop et al.) yet? And was there ever any explanation why those systems were suddenly slapped with a permit restriction?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I heard they were reworking the in-game model for the dyson sphere out there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Conskill posted:

They're rare as gently caress. I've only seen two since 2.1 hit and couldn't do either of them to advance beyond Baron because the cargo requirements were trade python tier and I wasn't flying one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boogalo posted:

I thought I was in one of the IT threads for a second.

:same:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Conskill posted:

Tell me about it. The day before yesterday, I hit 100% serf, one bump to Master and I could get my icourier. I spent all last night board scumming and flying around so I could get an advancement mission I could do. It was a little frustrating too being in a non-combat fit Asp-E and getting "kill this politician for the navy" missions. I was thinking to myself, "What am I, Blackwater?" Typical :frontear: the Navy missions aren't well identified that those missions are the ones that rank you up.

Also, thanks to Tippis, I think, for the mine launcher suggestion. They work fine in an Asp. I just fa-off go nose down 45 degrees or so and pop the mines. It's nice seeing the guy who interdicted you stop shooting at you and start maneuvering to deal with the mines. I also got to see the green point defense fire which was cool.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

As an iCourier nose weapon, medium PAC or medium railgun?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oh, missed this…

Blind Rasputin posted:

How far out do you have to go to start seeing neutron stars and black holes?

It's not so much a matter of “how far” but of “under what conditions”. If you just want to see black holes, go to HIP 63835. If you want to see more, and not just go by random chance, you need to be a bit more deliberate. While this obviously still translates into a distance, I suspect that the question you're really looking to answer is “how far do I have to go to find one of my own”.

Dotted around the galaxy are various stellar birth- and death zones that will have an overabundance of some particular type of star. For instance, the Omega nebula is a birthing ground which has spawned a huge swath of B-stars, and this the kind of prime hunting ground you're looking for. In such regions (and you'll have to ask an astronomer how realistic this is), Stellar Forge has a great fondness for creating billion:ish year-old B-star binaries, and under the right conditions — which are pretty frequent — one of those B-stars will be just heavy enough and old enough to have collapsed into either a neutron star or a black hole. While those systems can appear anywhere, birth zones will have them in abundance, and often in the form of triple or quadruple stars — binary binaries — where one or more has collapsed. For a good example (and some good old clenched-sphincter-time), I would "suggest" 2MASS J18185805-1647318. :frontear:

One problem with these zones, though, is that they're fairly obvious and often completely explored already, so you probably won't put your name on the map with them. For that, you're probably better off looking at the opposite end of the spectrum: in a stellar death zone, which doesn't show up as easily on the map since there are no bright star clusters or nebulae to give them away. Black holes and neutron stars won't be as abundant there as in the birthing zones because there won't be those binary/tripple/quad systems, but they'll still be relatively common. After all, they're stellar remnants, like any other, just from a particular star type. What you get instead is huge stretches of white dwarfs, giants and supergiants, even the odd C- and S-star, and the black holes and neutron stars dotted in among them with the density and distribution you'd normally expect from, say, B- and A-stars in a sea of F–M.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TorakFade posted:

As an iCourier nose weapon, medium PAC or medium railgun?

I've used both. I'd say Railgun is easier to aim, but PAC is more fun to hit things with.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Blind Rasputin posted:

I heard they were reworking the in-game model for the dyson sphere out there.

ngc 7822 is full of black hole systems, binary black hole + a tertiary star systems, quaternary black hole systems....

theres a lot of dark, black holes in ngc 7822.

has anyone tried the pack hound since the stealth missile buff in 2.1?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Tippis posted:

One problem with these zones, though, is that they're fairly obvious and often completely explored already, so you probably won't put your name on the map with them. For that, you're probably better off looking at the opposite end of the spectrum: in a stellar death zone, which doesn't show up as easily on the map since there are no bright star clusters or nebulae to give them away. Black holes and neutron stars won't be as abundant there as in the birthing zones because there won't be those binary/tripple/quad systems, but they'll still be relatively common. A

Also, you can change your galaxy map filters to show specific types of stars. But as Tippis notes, everyone and their brother has already done this for the interesting stars -- black holes, type O/B/A, etc., so if you want discovery credit, you're better off trying to find a patch of space that hasn't been heavily traveled (no nebulae).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is it really a stealth buff if it was mentioned in the patch notes? :confused:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

Is it really a stealth buff if it was mentioned in the patch notes? :confused:

:allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:nallears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:ironicat:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

nice meltdown

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

What just happened

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A prophet looked into the future and told us what they saw.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

A prophet looked into the future and told us what they saw.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
That was beautiful.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Has someone else trouble logging in? The launcher behaves weird (freezes with white background, refuses log-in with "unable to connect to remote server"-message), which was a nasty surprise since I only had about an hour time to play today and that hour is now gone. :(

Just in case I've opened a support ticket, but I thought I could ask around if someone had similar trouble this week?

Edit:

gently caress, of course just 5 minutes after filing a support ticket the launcher works again like normal, without explanation. About 30 minutes after I ran out of time for playing. poo poo, I'm going to bed. Online-games really hate people who need to get up early in the morning, it seems.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 30, 2016

Tikal
Nov 14, 2008

Support your local Galcop nerds.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Its a holiday weekend and as such i finally have free time to goof off in elite again. Has any thing major changed recently? I am pretty much just planingon finding an asteroid belt and shooting anything that has a bounty.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do the Community Goal and sign up for GalCop, it's easy and you make good money.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Dreadwroth posted:

Do the Community Goal and sign up for GalCop, it's easy and you make good money.

In retrospect I should've totally looked at the system map before I started doing this.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Conskill posted:

In retrospect I should've totally looked at the system map before I started doing this.

Suck it up and keep trucking. Do your part to beat the Red Menace.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Have not played this game since engineers. Got Horizons via the steam sale. Logged in. Forgot where I was.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Okay so it's been over a half a year and I'm still considering getting Horizons.

I know there's a lot of stuff to do but I've also read that it's been a harsh couple of months for people, especially lovely people like me. Overpowered AI, over-aggressive AI, lots of interdictions, so on and so forth.

This is bad for lovely people like me who rage-uninstalled because I couldn't deal with getting my rear end kicked. I know I have a lot of stuff to (re)learn, but I don't want to do anything more than live a humble life doing (mainly combat) missions. Not for any rush to power, but just because this game's so damned pretty that it can't escape my mind. I keep reconsidering reinstalling it or, like right now, buying the expansion.

Is this game still rough in terms of the common/general experience? Is it still a sequence of workarounds and places to avoid to not get your rear end kicked despite how well equipped or reflexive you are? In short, is this game still "annoyingly/unfairly" difficult?

Because if it is, I'll wait for another sale to keep being indecisive. :ohdear:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

eukara posted:

I should try hitting Robigo and Sothis sometime soon for some out-of-the-bubble action.
I remember the very first system I <first> discovered... seeing my name attached to a star was mind blowing. After exploring for 8 hours straight it may have lost its charm but I have yet to come across earthlikes that I can put my name on.

Robigo got nerfed pretty hard - it can no longer be used for smuggling runs. If you're just planning on using it as a base for exploration, I don't know if it's still viable for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Morter posted:

Okay so it's been over a half a year and I'm still considering getting Horizons.

Your rear end will get kicked equally well everywhere now.

Horizons isn't really the cause of any of the major complaints about the game; it just doesn't resolve them. However, if you're going to keep playing, you might as well get Horizons, since you're locking yourself out of planetary landings and now the crafting system, which means you're at a disadvantage against NPCs if you can stomach any sort of grinding at all.

• Locked thread