Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Just had a placement match with five randoms where everyone used voice, coordinated attacks, was encouraging when we lost a round or someone missed an ult, and worked together to pick characters for a strong team :unsmith:

And surprise surprise we actually won.

This was my first placement match last night. We talked in spawn, tuned our char selection based on HOW other people said they could play their selections. We all had our toggle characters picked depending on how things looked once the match got rolling, had expected counter patterns worked out... everything. On King's Row defense we shut out the attackers. On offense we took the point in 30 seconds. It was insane, and gave me the impression that competitive was finally the happy place in Overwatch.

Next 9 placements I went 2/7, couldn't get anyone to respond to anything in setup, spent most of the time as Reinhardt staring at the entire opposing team close-flanking and burning me down while the rest of my team was alive... not in spawn... and nowhere near me or any of the other team. I had so... so many medals in those 9 games (I poo poo you not I had a gold medal for objective time with... Widowmaker, who I grabbed quick as counter for a choke bastion)... and only 2 victories.

How long will it be until the Kill/Death whores figure out that that poo poo doesn't mean anything in competitive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Alleric posted:

How long will it be until the Kill/Death whores figure out that that poo poo doesn't mean anything in competitive?

They won't ever figure it out, they'll just complain on the battle.net forums that they're godlike master players and that their rank 15 is an insult and wholly inappropriate, it's their team's fault for never doing their job right and overwatch is awful and blizzard doesn't know what they're doing.

After placement matches I started getting some really, really good games last night. Once I was playing alongside players of my own rank we started coordinating better and the games became a lot more even, a lot less frustrating, more enjoyable.

I doubt every game will be that way but I strongly hope that it'll make the majority of games less frustrating.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

teagone posted:

Master Overwatch now shows your competitive stats. Sweet.

I am undefeated. :colbert:

Because I haven't tried it yet.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

wit posted:

I am undefeated. :colbert:

Because I haven't tried it yet.

The only way to win is to not play the game!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
1/9 wins out of 9 games >:c

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really wish I could join a friend's group if they're solo instead of only having the option to invite them so that I don't have to take them out of a game in progress to form a group. Why is that not an option

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Got my first 28 kill streak on competative. Didnt die once, had a 40% direct hit ratio as pharah. I boost up to rain justice, Enemy team wipes my team, lose round.

:negative:

There was no justice.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
rank 41 w/e that is i won 2/10 so hell yeah

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions

Macaluso posted:

I really wish I could join a friend's group if they're solo instead of only having the option to invite them so that I don't have to take them out of a game in progress to form a group. Why is that not an option

Agreed, this is a huge oversight in the party system

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, it's very weird. Like if they're already in a group you can request an invite to the group and just get joined into their game that way, but if they're solo you're just out of luck. If I could just request invite to join their group even when they are solo, it'd fix the whole problem.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I went 4-0 in my solo placement games and 2-3 with friends... Gonna play one more tonight and see where I get placed.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Sandeep posted:

Agreed, this is a huge oversight in the party system

That would be havoc with the ranking system. Oh hey I only just started playing the game and my opposing team are running into walls too. But hey, say hello to my BETA FRIENDS.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

wit posted:

That would be havoc with the ranking system. Oh hey I only just started playing the game and my opposing team are running into walls too. But hey, say hello to my BETA FRIENDS.

I don't give a gently caress about the ranking system (also what ranking system, this problem doesn't apply to competitive)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

wit posted:

Have you actually played in a group with people joining mid-game? They don't actually get to start playing until the match ends and, in most cases, if the MMR disparity is too large it'll just take you out of the match and into the queue.

KoB
May 1, 2009

khy posted:

They won't ever figure it out, they'll just complain on the battle.net forums that they're godlike master players and that their rank 15 is an insult and wholly inappropriate, it's their team's fault for never doing their job right and overwatch is awful and blizzard doesn't know what they're doing.

If they complain enough Blizzard will probably just remove the feature.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Just found this thread. Just finished my placement matches too. So if anyone is around the 50 range I'd be looking for some buddies to play with.

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

wit posted:

How is this any different than the current join friend option? Or requesting an invite to a party of two?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Sandeep posted:

How is this any different than the current join friend option? Or requesting an invite to a party of two?

If its a ranked match it isn't fair bringing in your big guns friend who is orders of magnitude better than the other 11 players, is it? Even in the dying seconds. And from what I'm hearing, people are jumping out of games after the first push because they're only going to play an immediate win.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
In house starts at 9pm EST. Pre-game streamage occurring: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

crabf
May 29, 2015
rank 59, won 8 out of 10 games

in the beta i did the exact same thing and got rank 63. :psyduck:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

crabf posted:

rank 59, won 8 out of 10 games

in the beta i did the exact same thing and got rank 63. :psyduck:

this whole system is a sham!!!!

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

wit posted:

If its a ranked match it isn't fair bringing in your big guns friend who is orders of magnitude better than the other 11 players, is it? Even in the dying seconds. And from what I'm hearing, people are jumping out of games after the first push because they're only going to play an immediate win.

There is no backfill in ranked regardless. This is a non-issue.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The entire placement system is dumb anyways because people's rank is going to converge on their win rate very quickly. The initial rating matters for probably all of ten to twenty matches

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Should have been Hanzo instead of Widow to keep a subtle reference to the original joke. Also because Hanzo is objectively the worst

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I love facing Genij's who don't realize that other people also know that Reflect exists. Yes, please stand still waiting for my Widowmaker to shoot into your whirling blades. Don't move or anything, otherwise I might miss. Don't feel concerned that your reflect time is almost up and I still haven't shot you. Just continue holding still... thank you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I played against a really good Genji as Lucio and it was horrifying. Felt utterly helpless. Anytime he ulted I knew I was gonna die two seconds later.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

good genjis walk all over a lot of heroes now that mccree can't just delete him at will

I wish I knew how to play genji effectively because he seems like fun

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

As for a D.Va buff, one thing that might be nice is if her boost ran on a fuel gauge like Pharah, or could be stacked like Tracer's blinks. That way, if she closes in on a sniper, she'd have another boost in the tank instantly, rather than 5 seconds later, to chase them when they start running.

I actually posted something like this on the official forums:

A heat gauge for D.Va's boosters/defense shields (think Rumble from League).

Using D.Va's boosters or her defense shield cause her to gain heat. She can do a combination of things: A long lasting defense shield, a long lasting boost, or the current duration of the boost and shield combined. Neither of these abilities would have a cooldown.

IF D.Va's heat gauge fills, it causes her mech to Overheat for a few seconds, disabling her Booster and Shield abilities but increasing the damage of her M1.

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009
LMB -> fire left gun, (half her dps, walk at full speed)
RMB -> fire right gun, (half her dps, walk at full speed)
Both - her current left click

Maybe even do something like LMB is less accurate but more damage than RMB.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
The D.Va buff should be moving her crit box to the team's healer. Maybe that will provide some incentive for people to kill the healer.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

The weekly brawl is god drat intense

And I loving love it

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Sandeep posted:

There is no backfill in ranked regardless. This is a non-issue.
I know. I may have mistaken this post:

Macaluso posted:

I thought it was someone asking to jump in and backfill a bro rather than waiting until match end. That's the discussion I was answering.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

wit posted:

I know. I may have mistaken this post:

I thought it was someone asking to jump in and backfill a bro rather than waiting until match end. That's the discussion I was answering.

Naw I just mean I sign in, see my friend, and I'd rather just join him as a group and just spectate his match til he's done, than invite him and force him to quit the match he's in. But that's not an option

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Naw I just mean I sign in, see my friend, and I'd rather just join him as a group and just spectate his match til he's done, than invite him and force him to quit the match he's in. But that's not an option

competitive doesn't allow for that? that's weird since quick play does

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you can't spectate comp games as far as I can tell.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

competitive doesn't allow for that? that's weird since quick play does

I'm not talking about competitive!!!!!!

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
I had one amazing game where we all were all on voice and doing calls against another good team, lots of back and forth, one of the best matches I've had in weeks. When I came back from a break on a new team we got pushed back into spawn on every round of Lijiang. I spent the last 45 seconds of round 3 in a corner away from the door just waiting for it to be over.

3-1 so far, so I shouldn't complain. Hope it picks back up though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'm not talking about competitive!!!!!!

well you hosed up then because you can join a group as a spectator. someone in the actual match has to be the party leader tho, not a spectator. if there's room, you'll be placed on your friend's team and the game will balance other people to accommodate you when the next round starts. otherwise it'll kick your group out at the end of the round to find a game that'll fit you all in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, you can join someone's game and then invite them, or have them invite you, and I think in both cases you would just stay in the game and not get kicked to queue.