Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder if they ever accidentally mulch a deer or a bear or something.

"Accidentally"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder if they ever accidentally mulch a deer or a bear or something.

Fawns (and indeed all manner of baby even-toed ungulates) have a behavior called "tucking," wherein the very young fawn will lay nearly motionless in tall grass or brush, while its mother goes off to feed. The fawn won't move, despite almost any provocation, but will remain nearly motionless, awaiting mom's return.

This is a great survival strategy against wolves, feline bobcats, etc. Not a great survival strategy against skid-steer bobcats and farm/lawn/forestry equipment. :(

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
You might be familiar with a video game series called "Orion." The basic gist of it is spacemen shoot at dinosaurs, it's not very good so the developers keep releasing different versions to avoid having too many negative reviews on Steam, and to generate more sales since they frequently discount the game to under a buck.

Well a couple days ago, the game got removed from Steam (during the Steam Summer Sale) because somebody at Activision noticed the game uses stolen assets from Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 and filed a DMCA.

Naturally this got people interested and they went looking and found that the game has other copyright-infringing/stolen content.

(left is from another indie game called Natural Selection 2, right is Orion)

The developer's response to the whole thing has been to try and start a "#JusticeForOrion" campaign, set up a indiegogo funding page with a $500 goal and donated $500 themselves so that they get to keep any donations, throw a tantrum and ban themselves from their Steam forums, and has now tried to claim "Russian hackers" (with a local network IP) have hacked their reddit account and threatened to sue people for defamation.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

C.M. Kruger posted:

has now tried to claim "Russian hackers" (with a local network IP)

haha holy poo poo

:munch:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, but that sawdust is just going all over the forest floor. Mother Nature isn't going to be sweeping that up for anyone to sell.

They should invent some kind of machine that scoops stuff off of the ground. I'm imagining a big tractor with a bucket in front. I'd call it a "front end scooper."

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I know this is getting off topic, but a few years ago the local power company expanded the powerline that goes through a wooded area behind my house. They actually chipped most of the trees they cut down. According to one of the guys I talked to they do it because the trees they cut normally don't have much value for lumber or papermaking and they don't want to have piles of dead trees lining the powerline. The chips also do a really good job of preventing erosion in areas that were dug up or got really muddy.

Speaking of mud they also use trees to make these mats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GwHGKPm5Xw. This keeps the roadway from turning into a muddy quagmire. The road behind my house was about a mile and a half long when they were putting in the new poles.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

C.M. Kruger posted:

You might be familiar with a video game series called "Orion." The basic gist of it is spacemen shoot at dinosaurs, it's not very good so the developers keep releasing different versions to avoid having too many negative reviews on Steam, and to generate more sales since they frequently discount the game to under a buck.

That's a pretty good collection of what's happened so far. What a mess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Put it this way: if you live on the US west coast, cutting down trees is a huge deal and you'd better be making good use of the wood because trees are either giant timber stock or they're fairly rare and nice things to have around your town. But if you live on the east coast, trees are weeds and they are everywhere and of useless varieties.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

One of my favourite bits of tree related heavy machinery is this-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKCHEFxNkmM

I saw one in action one and it was so unexpected I couldn't stop laughing, gently caress YOU TREE GIMME THEM APPLES

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

WarpedNaba posted:

You know, I always wanted to know more about the lumbering process. Like, how do you get those long-rear end planks that seem longer than any tree has a right to be? I can't see seams or hidden nails or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvbgwdTGoyo

There's a really cool video on the lumber process

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Rondette posted:

I saw one in action one and it was so unexpected I couldn't stop laughing, gently caress YOU TREE GIMME THEM APPLES

I can't help but imagine big daddy tractor harshly whispering "Don't you embarrass me!"

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Put it this way: if you live on the US west coast, cutting down trees is a huge deal and you'd better be making good use of the wood because trees are either giant timber stock or they're fairly rare and nice things to have around your town. But if you live on the east coast, trees are weeds and they are everywhere and of useless varieties.

Eucalyptus are a fast-growing invasive weed, a huge fire hazard, and useless for timber. They smell nice though.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

WarpedNaba posted:

You know, I always wanted to know more about the lumbering process. Like, how do you get those long-rear end planks that seem longer than any tree has a right to be? I can't see seams or hidden nails or anything.

Trees are big and tall. They are very renewable and loggers ensure that there is always enough regen for a new harvest in 30-40 years. If there isn't enough, they will plant. White Pine and Red Pine are usually left alone and not harvested if you're cutting for pulp. The regen will come back for pulp wood and the Pine can wait for a while for when plank lumber is needed.

The White Oak in my back yard is a good 40 feet before it takes a curve. It's a beautiful tree and would be worth good money to harvest. I won't, because I like it, but it's only 35 years old or so. Trees grow fast in the right soil and weather. Back at my childhood home in northern MN, we have White Pines in our yard that are 100 feet tall or so with a straight portion of around 80 feet.

Long planks can also be scarfed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint. This joint is sometimes very hard to see unless you're looking for it. You see it in Menards or Home Depot, etc sometimes. A good Sawyer will tell you if he's scarfed the beam when you ask for 20 feet.

Also, in regards to felling: The tree will kick your rear end. You never know when there's a twist in the tree and it will always either fall on you, or knock you off the ladder. Wear a heavy jacket and pants when felling, wear a helmet, and pay attention to what the tree is doing. That tree will snap back on you faster than you can move if it's got twist. Take the tree from the top down if there are buildings around it. If you have room to fell the whole tree, make sure you pay attention. A tag line will not direct the tree. The tree goes where it wants to. Best you can do is give it a hint with your cut.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJXPXTaVlMY

Schadenfreude is the tree not crushing anything.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Data Graham posted:

Also we've introduced some very destructive invasive tree species in places where they shouldn't be. A goon used to have a pretty cool thread in AI about his ranch somewhere in northern Texas, and one of the things they did on the ranch pretty regularly was fight a war on the Salt Cedar (if I remember correctly) that would choke off all the streams on the ranch. They are not a native species, and they take all the water from the streams and cause all the native vegetation to die, so they would be constantly cutting out the Cedar and have to either haul it off or stack it and burn it (they didn't have the cool mulcher). I imagine that mulching it in place would have been perfectly fine for this type of situation.

Rondette posted:

I visited a friend in northern California whose family ran a pecan ranch. They harvest the pecan's exactly like this, except the machine also has a huge capture mechanism so the pecans are captured instead of just falling on the ground.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

mostlygray posted:

Trees are big and tall. They are very renewable and loggers ensure that there is always enough regen for a new harvest in 30-40 years. If there isn't enough, they will plant. White Pine and Red Pine are usually left alone and not harvested if you're cutting for pulp. The regen will come back for pulp wood and the Pine can wait for a while for when plank lumber is needed.

The White Oak in my back yard is a good 40 feet before it takes a curve. It's a beautiful tree and would be worth good money to harvest. I won't, because I like it, but it's only 35 years old or so. Trees grow fast in the right soil and weather. Back at my childhood home in northern MN, we have White Pines in our yard that are 100 feet tall or so with a straight portion of around 80 feet.

Long planks can also be scarfed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint. This joint is sometimes very hard to see unless you're looking for it. You see it in Menards or Home Depot, etc sometimes. A good Sawyer will tell you if he's scarfed the beam when you ask for 20 feet.

Also, in regards to felling: The tree will kick your rear end. You never know when there's a twist in the tree and it will always either fall on you, or knock you off the ladder. Wear a heavy jacket and pants when felling, wear a helmet, and pay attention to what the tree is doing. That tree will snap back on you faster than you can move if it's got twist. Take the tree from the top down if there are buildings around it. If you have room to fell the whole tree, make sure you pay attention. A tag line will not direct the tree. The tree goes where it wants to. Best you can do is give it a hint with your cut.

I think this is why those crane-chippers really come in handy. Around Michigan you have a lot of trees that grow fast around some fairly dense neighborhoods where cutting them down is a chore with a million things that can go wrong. With the chipper, at least you can do it safely and quickly without much fuss and bother, or at least simplify the job by taking down the branches quickly before starting on the trunk.

Rondette posted:

Plus apple trees are such a nuisance if you're not in an orchard. Apples are heavy in bunches, not to mention if they're not worth eating it becomes a chore. Especially in a hot summer when they spoil and turn to mush. My parents found that out the hard way when they got their tree: they got it to bloom, thought of the free apples, and spent three years hauling dead apples into the compost before they cut down the tree outright.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Plus apple trees are such a nuisance if you're not in an orchard. Apples are heavy in bunches, not to mention if they're not worth eating it becomes a chore. Especially in a hot summer when they spoil and turn to mush. My parents found that out the hard way when they got their tree: they got it to bloom, thought of the free apples, and spent three years hauling dead apples into the compost before they cut down the tree outright.

Apple trees are the loving worst. I had all the same issues you posted about in addition to the massive amount of flies and ants it brings because of the fruit that isn't instantly cleaned up the same day it hits the ground and its all my dog would eat. Did you know something can eat so many loving apples that it will crap just a pure apple poo poo log? I didn't. Vet said it was fine since she was an Aussie Shepard and ran herself retarded every day and just keep an eye on her teeth.

:barf:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/body-parts-wash-ashore-next-rio-olympic-venue-194441016--spt.html

quote:

Parts of a mutilated body washed up on the sands of Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro on Wednesday, police said, just meters (yards) from where beach volleyball athletes will compete in the upcoming Olympics.

Which parts, Reuters? Can't you be more specific?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://i.imgur.com/NOuThPi.gifv

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

`Nemesis posted:

Pretend gif above me is here.

No no no no nononononein!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

How small do you think trees are? Must lumber spans cap out at around 24 feet or so, much smaller than most trees harvested.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

http://i.imgur.com/qzKS7Xd.mp4

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Look, if you want to be part of the Olympic Curling team, you need to remember that it's the stone that slides across the ice, not the team members. Try the bobsled team instead.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV2JBbol2To

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Holy poo poo the comments section is full of fruede.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

The developer's response to the whole thing has been to try and start a "#JusticeForOrion" campaign, set up a indiegogo funding page with a $500 goal and donated $500 themselves so that they get to keep any donations, throw a tantrum and ban themselves from their Steam forums, and has now tried to claim "Russian hackers" (with a local network IP) have hacked their reddit account and threatened to sue people for defamation.

I was thinking "this looks a lot more like lazy knock-off than actual stolen assets" until this part.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

This loving rules. A good cop video.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kurieg posted:

quote:

I'm getting "You're on camera, bitch" as a tramp stamp.

Can't wait to see this in the tasteless tattoos thread.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Random Stranger posted:

I was thinking "this looks a lot more like lazy knock-off than actual stolen assets" until this part.

It isn't even the most blatent one in recent memory.
http://kotaku.com/watch-the-chinese-overwatch-rip-off-in-action-1782079892
http://i.imgur.com/H5LwCoJ.mp4

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps3jNoK7EvQ

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Is it just me or does this kid look and have the mannerisms of someone with a heroin problem? :stare:

Three-Phase has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Jun 30, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Kurieg posted:

The comments are just amazing.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Three-Phase posted:

Is it just me or does this kid look and have the mannerisms of someone with a heroin problem? :stare:

When it first popped up there was talk of the kid having autism.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Three-Phase posted:

He really does. I kept expecting him to sob, "Stop holding out on me, daddy!" It's pretty obvious that the kid just tried to type in $75.00, and either forgot the period, or expected it to be provided for him. I mean, that, or he was buying dope off the darknet because he's jonesing, and "X-Box" was the best his morphine-deprived brain could come up with.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Atticus_1354 posted:

When it first popped up there was talk of the kid having autism.

OK now I feel like a jerk.

quote:

Asset theft talk

I remember awhile back that this AWFUL game "Limbo of the Lost" got caught pretty blatantly stealing textures and even a clip from the movie Spawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPe1GqeeDr4 :psyduck:

Three-Phase has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Jun 30, 2016

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The Dark Id did an LP of that very game :v: It's in the archive if you want to see the whole thing.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Hermsgervørden posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJXPXTaVlMY

Schadenfreude is the tree not crushing anything.

Speaking of crushing...this tree is a Douglas Fir (according to the title, not sure if it really is) which is named for Scottish botanist David Douglas. He died in a rather unfortunate manner in 1834 while looking for other new and interesting plants. Bill Bryson sums it up in his book At Home:

quote:

In Hawaii, David Douglas, discoverer of the Douglas fir, fell into an animal trap at a particularly unpropitious moment: it was already occupied by a wild bull, which proceed to trample him to death.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm glad that Activision DMCA'ed the people making Orion. Creating quality game assets is challenging work.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Ahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

And this one.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/260436-chinese-mobile-game-blatantly-rips-off-splatoon

Chinese knockoff of Splatoon for Android, looks like it's using a lot of the original assets. The girl Inkling has two extra hair tentacles though, so I guess they remodeled those (badly).