Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Honestly it's kind of a hassle to use it at any point outside of the start of a fight unless said fight has an untargetable lull where I can put it back on. Plus if a healer drops dead you're probably going to wish you had the MP to maintain ballad to refill their MP. Also, trying to follow the healer's current buffs to see if they're in cleric's stance or if the NIN has a specific thing up is a lot more complicated than just going "oh there's a SMN/BLM. they'll benefit from this regardless."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Magic classes have big burst damage, right? I normally bv foe as soon as the tank pulls the boss to make sure any dots get buffed and whatnot - just want top make sure that's not a dumb idea. If there's no blm and i don't see a lot of damage casts by the healer, i usually turn off foe once bv expires in case i need the mp for a later phase our something like ballad

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm of the opinion that where DPS is concerned, ASTs are fantastic. At baseline, their heals are now largely analogous to WHM, except there is no Cure 3 equivalent. But between the ability to use regens while in cleric stance, and Essential Dignity being on a short 40 second cooldown, and a base 5% haste stance, AST just begs for you to dump regens on the tank, then go Cleric Stance and spam out gravity or Combust + Combust + Aero + Malefic 2, only to switch back out of Cleric Stance, top them off once they get down to about half health with Essential Dignity and repeat the process. This is before cards come into play, and before you start loving around with Time Dilation to extend those regens and/or Boles to make the tank stand up longer on their own without direct intervetion.

And then there's the AST secret tech: Synastry gives you a Divine Veil effect, and Collective Unconscious has a strong regen effect that persists after the bubble goes down. Combine the two with regens and a buffed Bole, and you can use Time Dilation on the entire stack to give a tank 400 potency/tick regen and make them completely hands off for about 30 seconds to a minute, which is an eternity to do other things like DPS, handle mechanics, cast rezzes, or /mdance. also there is Celestial Opposition which adds an extra tick or two depending on when you use it because of the vagaries of 1 tick = 3 real world seconds and CO extending all buffs by 5 seconds on everyone in range not just the tank.

Noct shields will never be as good as SCH shields because Noct doesn't give you a smart-targetting healdrone.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 29, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been having a lot of good results with the Increased Stamina 3 + Super Sprint Chocobo for AFK MGP farming. You just enter Sagoli, move your chocobo all the way to the left and Alt-Tab to do whatever.

Out of 100 races going in AFK:

First place: 70
Second place: 9
Third place: 8

Average of 912 gil per race (max of 1009 if you're first place) which is completely bonkers. Only finished last once.

Could have done better if my bo didn't have horrible luck with stats and allocated so much in acceleration(395/345/500/500/500). You mostly lose to Meteors and if you have maxed speed you can salvage a lot more wins from when you get to 0%.

As for stats, accel is the worst stat in this build by far. You can either max speed/sta/end if all you'll do is racing sagoli or sta/end/cun for other stages if you want more versatility or to dodge other racers. Speaking of which, IS3+SS is also crazy good for PVP, currently 25/1 against other players.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The best reason to play AST is that Gravity and Celestial Opposition just look so loving cool.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
just saw this: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/001518.html

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
How impractical is it to play with a controller instead of keyboard+mouse? I like the way the controller feels for this game, but it seems like targeting is a huge nightmare when you can't just aim and click as needed.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Cephas posted:

How impractical is it to play with a controller instead of keyboard+mouse? I like the way the controller feels for this game, but it seems like targeting is a huge nightmare when you can't just aim and click as needed.

Targeting can be a bit of a pain in big hectic fights but you get used it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

If Deep Dungeon isn't just rotten to the core with Chocobo's Dungeon references, I will be so sad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

AST can still drop everything they have at once and make the tank basically unkillable for ~45 seconds, which is plenty of time to go nuts with Gravity and Malefic 2. The thing is that the class doesn't really mature to the point where you can do that until nearly 60, where the other two healing classes can contribute significant dps in big pulls much earlier than that. Also noct shields are better than they were in 3.0 but still pretty meh.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

I look forward to endless queues and crashing while trying to access Deep Dungeon.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Haha, that save screen, straight out of 16 bit FF.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Holy poo poo those menus.

Holy poo poo that minion.

Elentor posted:

I've been having a lot of good results with the Increased Stamina 3 + Super Sprint Chocobo for AFK MGP farming. You just enter Sagoli, move your chocobo all the way to the left and Alt-Tab to do whatever.

What does Super Sprint actually do? I've neglected my racing chocobo for about a month and I couldn't quite parse what the tooltip meant

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Super Sprint causes your chocobo to leave the gate at max speed and it cannot decelerate at all until it runs out of stamina.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Those menus and that save screen are beautiful. Even if Palace ends up unfun I really appreciate that UI.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

Magic classes have big burst damage, right? I normally bv foe as soon as the tank pulls the boss to make sure any dots get buffed and whatnot - just want top make sure that's not a dumb idea. If there's no blm and i don't see a lot of damage casts by the healer, i usually turn off foe once bv expires in case i need the mp for a later phase our something like ballad

I can't speak for SMN but BLM absolutely wants Foe's for the opener since it's their big damage burst.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cephas posted:

You can clear/complete any content with a controller. Targeting can be a little weird sometimes, but you can still use a mouse for trickier situations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cephas posted:

It's not impractical at all, people do top level content with controller just fine.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
with the change in bv's cooldown there's no reason to not blow it at the beginning since it lines up with when raging strikes should be back up

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I'll throw my chip in the pot for this week's Weeping City too. We cleared all the bosses in one shot, but everything after Arachne Eve was awful.

Forgall: The main tank in one of the other parties was the definition of a Leeroy Jenkins, always being in Deliverance no matter what and shouting at the healers, which resulted in Forgall frolicking all over the room and turning several people into floor paste, and requiring me to constantly Provoke him so he'd stop. The main tank responded by Provoking back - okay, sure, he's the main tank - but still stayed in Deliverance, so Forgall resumed his rampage every minute or so. I have no idea what the third tank was doing either, because I also had to round up the zombie adds. I was legit surprised when the monster add phase went off without a hitch.

Ozma: One of the healers in my group was either new or hated instructions, because despite explaining everything before the fight and during the fight, he did everything wrong short of falling off the arena. The "back and left" meteor strategy was repeated several times, but this healer had the misfortune of getting a meteor every time... and brought it to the right every time. It was nothing short of a miracle that the meteors didn't collide. He also died to Acceleration Bomb every time it came out, and during the Cube phases there was one where we only had one orb - and he walked out of the way despite me asking healers to grab the orbs. That one orb went on to explode on the whole Alliance, and boy were they mad. The healer's response? "I didn't want to die." The orbs are a precent-based attack and he was at full HP. I don't think I've ever facepalmed so hard in any Weeping City run.

Calofisteri: For a little while I thought the main tank had cleaned up his act, as he was actually doing pretty good at keeping Calofisteri's axe-hair pointed away from the party - as in specifically turning it away each time so the party had the whole back area of the arena to work with. It sounds good on paper, mind: the "HEY JACKASS CALO'S HAIR IS CHANGING" message gives you ample time to turn the boss. Naturally though, the main-tank re-derped and proceeded to screw up his strategy right after Depth Charge (the move that sends Calofisteri to the edge of the arena), getting half of the Alliance mowed down. There was salt, yes, but a healer LB3 fixed it. Surely it wouldn't happen again, right? Wrong. I don't know how, but the main tank proceeded to make the same mistake twice in a row, mowing down even more people this time. That chat was nuclear now, and the only thing that saved the run was a Summoner bringing up another party's healer for another healer LB3.

The only positive note I can say about this run is that it got me the Wind-up Calofisteri minion I posted a few pages back. It was almost worth the suffering.

P.S.: Sorry if I'm crapping in Kwyndig 's cereal here, but I really do think it's better for healers to grab the orbs during Ozma's cube phase. I've tried taking the orbs myself whenever I'm asked, and it always ends badly because the people who ask me never know how the orbs work - that is, percent-of-max-HP-based damage that can't be mitigated - and fail to account for the lasers and Holy hitting me at the same time. I once mashed all my cooldowns, Equlibrium and (while I had nothing better to cross-class) Second Wind before just to humor a healer that made me take three orbs at once, and still died; I survived the orbs, but died to a laser, which seemed to make him take the hint. I could see a DPS taking the orbs with a healer's help since they don't need to deal with the lasers, but this is wasted time the DPS could be using to attack Ozma, while the healer could just as easily facetank the orbs while spamming those heals on himself.

tl;dr: A designated healer eating the orbs really is more efficient and less headache-inducing, though I will concede that it's up to the healer to decide how to do it. Unless they ask me (a tank) to do it, in which case I will desperately wish I had a button to throw them off the arena.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thundarr posted:

What does Super Sprint actually do? I've neglected my racing chocobo for about a month and I couldn't quite parse what the tooltip meant

It puts you into perma-sprint for the whole race until your stamina runs out, at which point you lose the buff. Perma-sprint in this case means "sets your speed to 500", you don't get the proper Sprint buff that nullifies Lathered, all it does is set your speed to 500.

This has a lot of overpowered upsides:

* You don't get the same level of Headstart performance but you get a much, much better than 500 acceleration performance for free at the start. This pretty much renders Headstart obsolete. Don't do like a guy I raced today who did Headstart + Super Sprint.
* You're immune to Heavy and slows from environmental hazards. This means stuff like the Pink Pad literally doesn't do anything to you and you don't even have to jump it. The only movement impairing debuff you can take is Lamed from Meteor which halts you.
* Because of your initial speed + you're immune to every kind of slow, Acceleration is rendered obsolete so for all intents and purposes your stat budget no longer needs to account for Acceleration. Even when Lamed is over you automatically go back to maximum speed.
* Since you're always at maximum speed, the budget from the Speed stat goes down significantly. Speed only matters once your stamina goes down to 0% and you're no longer at Super Sprint.

Even at Tranquil Paths speed is not that important. The most important stat after Endurance and Stamina there is Cunning by far, and if you're maxed at those 3 you can guarantee finishing the level (bar any Meteors) by racing at sub-lathered speed and super-sprinting when you're in about 20% of the race (right before the marsh). So at 395 speed like I have you can just hold forward and not worry about controlling speed since a difference of 100 between speed and endurance means you'll never get lathered.

A x/x/500/500/500 chocobo during super-sprint is basically a 500/∞/500/500/500 chocobo. You then put in Increased Stamina 3 to be able to last through the whole match.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 29, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Every time I try to take an orb myself (as a healer) it always ends up with at least one, more likely several "helpful" DPS running right into me going I'LL TAKE THE ORB, PLEASE, LET ME and then rather than having to heal myself, I have to heal everyone.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

SL the Pyro posted:

P.S.: Sorry if I'm crapping in Kwyndig 's cereal here, but I really do think it's better for healers to grab the orbs during Ozma's cube phase. I've tried taking the orbs myself whenever I'm asked, and it always ends badly because the people who ask me never know how the orbs work - that is, percent-of-max-HP-based damage that can't be mitigated

Not only that, it's an AOE. I've lost count of how many times I've been killed by a "helpful" DPS blowing up an orb before I got a chance to heal. If the DPS are standing far enough back from Ozma (and some of them inevitably will be) an orb detonating on the platform will do a whole bunch of percentage damage to a whole bunch of DPS.

If a DPS wants to deal with orbs, that's fine, but just make sure that the healers know ahead of time and please watch where other players are when you detonate the stupid things.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

vOv posted:

I can't speak for SMN but BLM absolutely wants Foe's for the opener since it's their big damage burst.

Yeah that's exactly where I didn't get it. Or even on "let's just burn this boss down asap" fights.

In any case, those menus are super great.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Deep Dungeon looks loving amazing. Those menus and aesthetic! :allears:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thanks a bunch for all that info on Super Sprint! As soon as the call of esos goes away and I have time to work on my bo again I'll definitely look into using it.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I've just returned to the game after about a 9 month long break -- have a Level 60 Summoner, I'm getting back into everything pretty well, but one thing has been a giant pain in the rear end for me.

I lost all of my old UI layout and keybind (Mouse+Keyboard) stuff, and for the life of me I can't remember what old keybinds I used to actually be able to use to access the billion different things Summoners have going on.

I'm really hesitant to switch to controller, but I'm wondering if it might make sense for Summoner. If not, do other Summoners mind posting screens of their hotbar and key layout? I'm trying to map stuff that typically gets cast around the same time near each other, but I'm finding the stuff I keep trying really awkward.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 29, 2016

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Summoner is probably the hardest dps class to play on a controller simply due to how many buttons you need to properly control your pet on top of casting your own spells. It's not impossible by any means but you will be pushing the amount of real estate available on the cross hotbars and it's that much more muscle memory to learn.

Somebody who plays it more than me can probably help with with some useful macros that swap your bars based on which pet you summon.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 29, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only pet abilities you really need on your bars are Garuda's contagion and her AOE ability. If you've got Ifrit or Titan out you can probably afford to put them on sic.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

SL the Pyro posted:

P.S.: Sorry if I'm crapping in Kwyndig 's cereal here, but I really do think it's better for healers to grab the orbs during Ozma's cube phase. I've tried taking the orbs myself whenever I'm asked, and it always ends badly because the people who ask me never know how the orbs work - that is, percent-of-max-HP-based damage that can't be mitigated - and fail to account for the lasers and Holy hitting me at the same time. I once mashed all my cooldowns, Equlibrium and (while I had nothing better to cross-class) Second Wind before just to humor a healer that made me take three orbs at once, and still died; I survived the orbs, but died to a laser, which seemed to make him take the hint. I could see a DPS taking the orbs with a healer's help since they don't need to deal with the lasers, but this is wasted time the DPS could be using to attack Ozma, while the healer could just as easily facetank the orbs while spamming those heals on himself.

tl;dr: A designated healer eating the orbs really is more efficient and less headache-inducing, though I will concede that it's up to the healer to decide how to do it. Unless they ask me (a tank) to do it, in which case I will desperately wish I had a button to throw them off the arena.

In my last weeping city the tank decided he was going to go for the orbs and promptly died. We resurrected him and he died again. Then a dragoon decided to follow the other person with the meteor. Yet somehow with deaths everywhere we never actually wiped to any of the bosses. Also seeing people bitch about how everyone sucks and then watching said people run away when targeted by an attack you're supposed to stack up for is always nice.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Note to Gaga: FFG forums have achieved a pinnacle of hosed.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Thundarr posted:

Somebody who plays it more than me can probably help with with some useful macros that swap your bars based on which pet you summon.
If you want to get all 3 actions on your hotbars then something like this:

/micon "Summon"
/ac "Summon" <me>
/hotbar pet "Contagion" *hotbar#* *slot#*
/hotbar pet "Aerial Slash" *hotbar#* *slot#*
/hotbar pet "Shockwave" *hotbar#* *slot#*

For Titan and Ifrit swap ability names.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

The only pet abilities you really need on your bars are Garuda's contagion and her AOE ability. If you've got Ifrit or Titan out you can probably afford to put them on sic.

It's useful to have "heel" bound to something for some fights. Looking at you, SephEx.

And then there's the pet related abilities enkindle, spur and rouse. I don't think it's too dissimilar from say Bard though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If you throw a /wait in there (I think 6 or 7 seconds?), you can have it automatically set Sic or Obey. Whether or not that's a good idea is debatable, of course.

I have a question about tanking high-level stuff:
Should I be staying in my tank stance for the whole dungeon? I feel safer doing so, since I'm pretty much guaranteed to keep threat as long as I'm somewhat smart about it. But on the other hand, I'm missing out on a lot of extra damage. I'm a level 56 Warrior, so I only have Fell Cleave in my damage stance.

Also, for melding materia, do I want to cap Strength and then add Crit? (It's not super important right now, but I want to keep it in mind for the future.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You also want 670 or more skill speed for 9 weaponskills under berserk. How much more depends on your latency to server, but only just enough, or the stats become wasted.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Who wants a maid outfit?

FAJU J25T 92NN YF34 3QZ6

Redeem from Mog Station: https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/ffxivshopacctop

Pick Enter Item Code

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Who wants a maid outfit?

FAJU J25T 92NN YF34 3QZ6

Redeem from Mog Station: https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/ffxivshopacctop

Pick Enter Item Code

I will be the maid! Thank you!

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I do not want to know what's going on in the mind of a person who runs through an entire 60 dungeon as Black Mage without once using his actual rotation. Also I shouldn't have to lecture a level 60 about using transpose after enemy groups to regain mp. :argh:
What exactly is it with mmo's that attract people like this?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Umm I beat FFV so I'm pretty sure how to play blm in a ff game

*chugs ether after each fight*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

rip the server hiccup just as I was entering an instance.

• Locked thread