Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

poo poo, I forgot about that. Now I remember that was a big reason I was sad the LP ended, since that would be something relatively unique to this one.

But enough about that. I like how the clowns say the party is "under arrest" like this is some formal, non-violent process and not a hostile capture.

E: and I can't even quote what I'm referring to because I'm dancing around a spoiler. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
A bit late, but there is yet more to do in Treno that I assume you don't know about considering what else in the area you covered. But it can at least wait till a revisit so no biggie.

The fountain that you threw gil into to get that Stellazio, will cause the 'thug' next to it to upgrade his card deck if you continue to do the prompt a bunch. Something to do with him fishing out all that money you threw in to go buy new cards. Can't recall how many were needed off the top of my head. Not exactly surprising it wasn't featured considering what it relates too, but still, a nice touch non the less.

Oh and lovely to have you back!

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Great to have this back, but what happened to all the Tindeck links?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ilyich posted:

According to the Sandcastle, every track on Tindeck is down for some reason. It might be a glitch? :shrug:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ilyich posted:

It seems Tindeck is dead. EVERY MP3 uploaded to the site is gone now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fuckdamnit. I've spent to long recommending people use tindeck rather than youtube, thinking specifically of the archives.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Good news everyone, they're back.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hooray for them being back!

Also, around the time the For Sale showed up on TinDeck, I think Baldurk said that if it came down to it, he'd set up an MP3 hosting thing, but I'm not 100% on that...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

AlphaKretin posted:

poo poo, I forgot about that. Now I remember that was a big reason I was sad the LP ended, since that would be something relatively unique to this one.

But enough about that. I like how the clowns say the party is "under arrest" like this is some formal, non-violent process and not a hostile capture.

Hey, how often does a 3-foot-tall 50-pound weakling get to arrest anybody? Let them have their moment.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Kheldarn posted:

LP is back, OFS is ready with another Level 1 update, and we've seen Dr. Tot. Now we just need Simply Simon to return with the Perfect Game Guide, and we're back in full swing!
Oh right, I was doing that - I would have completely forgotten! Let's see what we find in this part...I suspect it's not much in the "outrageously difficult and intricate" department because it's mostly town stuff. But I'll check regardless!

quote:

Gonna preface from now on to prevent possible confusion: I'm quoting from the Excalibur 2 Perfect Game Guide! This is how not to only beat the game at low level, but to also make a speedrun of it, and how to also not miss any missable items! It's elaborate as hell and maybe slightly insane!

First, shopping lists:
code:
    ----------------------------------
    ==================================
     BUY :  5 Mythril Sword     6,500
         :  5 Air Racket        2,000
         :  2 Bone Wrist          660
         :  1 Magus Hat           400
         :  9 Bandana           4,500
         :  2 Barbut            1,200
         :  1 Linen Cuirass       800
         : 14 Chain Mail       16,800
    ==================================
    ----------------------------------
As the guide is incredibly long, detailed and meticulously formatted already, I wouldn't dare demand additional explanations for every single decision (and often, they are given anyway) - I just really wonder right now why these items are the exact ones chosen. There must be a very specific reason for it, of course. Probably related to synthesis. You can wonder alongside me, and if you are more versed in recipes and stuff, maybe even start figuring out reasons already!

You can absolutely do the Griffin with an untrained Steiner, OFS:
code:
 o Next, optimize Steiner and activate MP Attack, Bird Killer and Counter.
 o Challenge Griffin; use a Tent on him and then just attack physically. If
   the Tent is unsuccessful, reset and try again. The battle can go very fast
   if Steiner gets the first turn and Counter activates at some point.
(I'm sure you know that and just chose not to)

We'll skip auction instructions, that's mostly about getting the items you need to show up and resetting, which is not particularly out there as far as this challenge goes. Though this is a somewhat significant branch for one decision you have to make even in a guide as micromanaged as this one: someone has to absorb EXP at a certain point in the future, and depending on your choices of which party member it is (remember, equipment gives tiny stat boni on level up!), you have to have certain equipment at hand once that EXP gain occurs. So if you choose to have Freya absorb EXP, you need to get a Pearl Rouge now. No, I won't look up what stats it conveys, that work has been done for me and everyone else already.

In the many tiny in-town steps, one shows up which I don't get:

code:
 o Go down toward the dock and speak to Baku; ignore Steiner completely or you
   won't make it to the bottom.
Won't make it...how?

Anyway, even with a bunch of Gil already made by that point (see: 100k left after the shopping list, admittedly before auctions), and with time constraints, it's still not enough money, so the guide has a mandatory trip back to Dali to buy even more Wrists at this point!

Next time: no hours of grinding up Marcus, either!

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
If you talk to Steiner in the Docks, you get the chance to go back into town. Maybe its referring to that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, Steiner will ask if you want to go back to town if you talk to him while he's whining. I believe your last chance is immediately before getting on the boat.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

There ain't no getting offa this train boat.

Anywho, I got the PC version and am gonna catch up to the LP slowly. Lemme know if there's something that managed to slip by the already exhaustive efforts of several other people in this thread to show you everything that you might wanna see. Except Hippaul's hidden treasure trove of three trading carts, that ship already sailed. Plus it was covered by Mega already.

Yup, it was. Also I didn't find the kid's missing cat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Also I didn't find the kid's missing cat.

You monster. only miss something like a Skeleton Card or an equivalent item.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Simply Simon posted:

(I'm sure you know that and just chose not to)

It never crossed my mind because the reward is not worth 800 gil. I've consistently gotten bad Tonberry cards from this and I suspect that Tonberry just does not spawn with more than 3 arrows.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It never crossed my mind because the reward is not worth 800 gil. I've consistently gotten bad Tonberry cards from this and I suspect that Tonberry just does not spawn with more than 3 arrows.
Yeah, it only seems to give that card and I don't think it's the only source of a Tonberry card? Thing is, the monster later changes into more powerful ones (which really shouldn't be surprising), and if you don't fight Griffin now, your chance to fight it here is gone. Judging from how the rest of the guide handles these things, you don't really miss out on anything, but it would be completely unacceptable to not do this fight anyway even though nobody will ever be able to tell you didn't do it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah, it only seems to give that card and I don't think it's the only source of a Tonberry card?

Tonberries drop it, and the dungeon in which they appear has no particular limits on visiting it like Evil Forest did.

This isn't counting that a few Tetra Master opponents have Tonberries in their decks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

RAIN SOUNDS

For the first time in Disc 2, we're back to Zidane and company, post-Beatrix defeat. At least they seemed to have regained their wits.

It is nothing.
Take it easy, okay?

Y-Yeah, I'm alright...

We have no choice! We must go to Cleyra, too!
I knew you'd say that! You coming, Vivi?

Yeah, I'd say we'll learn a lot about them as long as we follow Brahne and that Kuja guy.
Then I'm with you!

I'd never forget about her! She might not be here in Burmecia, but I know we'll find her soon.

Some say it lies in the desert west of Burmecia, but I know not whether we can enter the town itself.
Brighten up a little! We'll figure it out when we get there!

Oh Zidane, ever the optimist.

Anyway, this is the point where I've finally started playing again since the hiatus. So whatever equipment I had I redistributed. Honestly it's a bit overwhelming going over all the abilities everyone learned, and also I end up having issues actually opening up the menu during the next dungeon so it was a bit difficult keeping track of all the abilities the party learns. Luckily you probably don't care, so it's all good.

I think only interesting notes are me giving Zidane the Reflect Ring to learn Distract, though Auto-Reflect is also nifty to have, and giving Freya the Cachusha for Ability Up.

I also trade in a Kupo Nut since we'll get another one shortly.

Not far from Burmecia is a massive sand tornado. This is our next destination.

SANDSTORM NOISES

By the gods!
C'mon, let's go while we can!
Indeed. Let us press on.
Must hurry. Must find yummy-yummies!

Then a mini-FMV transition-to-gameplay. After this screen, the dungeon begins.

I honestly don't know why this is a puzzle. The door is closed, so you walk five steps to the right, pull a lever, and open it. At least the other methods to advance in this place are more clever.

Lots of sand, lots of treasures. During this dungeon, my menu button would not work, functioning maybe one out of fifty times. It made juggling abilities and equipment fun.

These teach Blind (spell for Dagger), Clear Headed, and MP +10%. The +2 Magic is alright too.

Another Ice Staff if you didn't get one earlier. Kind of hard to notice.

There's a handful of enemies here, the Sand Golem probably being the biggest pain.

Basically it has two forms. If you attack the main body a couple times, it'll collapse and have sky-high defenses but cease to attack. To get it to stand back up, you have to attack its core a couple times.

Attack its core while it's up however causes a counter attack.

It can also cast Fira and cause a sandstorm for minimal damage.

The best strategy with this guy is not to bother with him. His animations for collapsing/reanimating are long, he has a lot of HP, and the rewards aren't that great.

So dark, I can't see a thing.

Let's stick our hand in the hole. What can go wrong?

Nothing for us since we're not the ones doing it, Zidane is.

What is does is flood the previous room with sand and let us continue the path to Cleyra.

The Dragonflies from Gargan Roo are here as well. This is nice because they have a new Blue Spell for Quina.

Matra Magic will reduce an enemy to 1HP. It has a miserable 20% accuracy though and obviously doesn't work on most bosses and certain other enemies. It's kinda handy for eating specific enemies, I guess?

Things are terrible in Burmecia! Kupo! Are we gonna be okay here? Kupo?

Halfway up the path to Cleyra there's a save moogle we can deliver a letter to and get a Kupo Nut in return.

If we didn't get a Flame Staff earlier, we'd get one now. Even though I'm just now finishing up the Flame Staff.

Carrion Worms aren't very threatening. They have weak attacks and a weak Drain spell.

And Fira, but what enemy here doesn't have Fira?

Their big thing is inflicting the Trouble status on someone. This causes all physical attacks targeting that person to spread half the damage to the entire party.

Oh yeah, and Zidane wasted a Trance there as you probably noticed.

They do teach Auto-Life, a very key Blue Magic spell for Quina. When cast, if the target gets KOed, they will immediately be revived with 1HP. The 1HP part is key since Quina just so happens to have a spell that does 9999 damage if Quina should be at 1HP. Yep!

Get a couple nice abilities too after that one, namely Blizzara.

After mashing Triangle three hundred times I finally get the menu up and jump right to the Oak Staff, if only because if I try to learn Thundara first then by the time I actually learn it I'll probaby get an Oak Staff normally and thus waste the time advantage of getting it early. Plus Stop, Bio, and Drain are all very handy spells to have.

The lever opens a path to an Elixir.

There's a slightly annoying minigame here where if you walk near one of these, you'll spin around until you either fall below to an earlier level or, if you mash successfully, jump out in the direction you were facing when you escaped. There's two chests here, I get them later but neither of them are important anyway.

The last new enemy to show off is another FF staple, the Zuu. It can cast Aera, but more importantly...

This jerk will straight-up eat your party.

Here's Matra Magic in action. Big surprise, it missed.

It also houses another Blue Mage staple, White Wind. This game's version of the spell works differently than past games, though. Rather than cure the party for Quina's current HP, it instead cures the party for 1/3 of Quina's max HP. Thus it's now more reliable when you need it but not as powerful as standard White Magic. It's pretty much the only multi-target healing spell you get that isn't White Magic, though, so it still has its uses.

And here it is in action.

And with that, we're finished with the dungeon. No boss to deal with! Yet...

Indeed, I am.

How did you come to know my identity?
The king of Burmecia has requested that we guide you to him.

At once, my lady.

Why not take this chance to rest?
Yeah, good idea.
This way, my lady.

Now we can choose to take a tour. It's not required, but this LP is informative so let's do it.

Please walk this way, sirs.

Only Zidane and Vivi take the tour, of course.

I shall elaborate later on how we have water up so high here. Now for our next stop.

But there's no market today, so the usual crowd is gone... Let's move on.

It uses the power of the sandstorm to pump water up from the ground. Come. Next, I shall show you the observatory.

Here, we observe our protector, the sandstorm, and here, we pray to it. Next is the cathedral, the last stop on our tour.

The king of Burmecia and Lady Freya are meeting inside this building. It also houses the harp whose magic stone powers the sandstorm. Let us make our way back.

Thanks a lot!

At this point, we just control Zidane and are given free reign to explore.

Talk to Kildea again...

Behind me lies the lair of antlion, a foul beast. It has been quite tame recently, but I do not recommend provoking it.

There's a callback here, but I'll get to that when it becomes relevant.

As usual, there's garbage all over the place.

There's also a few ATEs to check out. Let's start with Quina.

Quina's Quina, as usual.

That's pretty much it. Let's check out Vivi instead.

...Welp. Let's try again with a second Vivi ATE.

You bastard! You killed my father!

He's one of the demons that sacked Burmecia!

I'd say Vivi would be traumatized by now if he hadn't already been traumatized five times over.

Glove upgrade for Steiner and Freya. Teaches Add Status and Devil Killer. And of course boosts thunder-elemental damage while halving thunder damage taken.

We can check in with the family that broke Vivi again.

I guess we got carried away...
I don't think that kid was a pointy-hat demon.
I don't think that kid was one of the pointy-hat demons anymore.
Will we ever see Burmecia again...?

Oh yeah, this guy also sells some new equipment.

Weapon-wise, there's the Multina Racket I forgot to get at the start of Dagger and Steiner's side-adventure. For our team, the Partisan is the next step up for Freya, teaching High Tide and Lancer.

For Light Armor, Mythril Armlets teach Bug Killer, Bandanas teach Insomniac and Man Eater, and the Mythril Vest teaches Auto-Potion while halving water damage. For Heavy Armor, the Mythril Helm teaches Antibody and Insomniac and boosts Holy damage, while the Mythril Armor teaches Jelly and Cover and also halves water damage (the new heavy armor gloves are the Thunder Gloves we got earlier).

Anyway, another moogle, another letter (though not one we need to deliver at least).

Kupo! Is she looking for actors? I want to become an actor...

Alright, one ATE left, also for Quina.

I never see this kind mushroom before! I hope it edible.

And...that's it.

This woman sells regular items.

Annoyntment is new. It cures Trouble, and I managed to steal a few on the way up here. I buy a few more because I broke money.

To keep the storm in motion, we perform a sacred dance to the melody of a harp adorned with a magic stone.

To progress, we need to go up to the cathedral where Freya is. However, after viewing Quina's ATEs, it's best to come down to the Antlion area first.

Even spiral here start to look like ice cream...

Next time, things start picking up rather quickly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Vivi. :smith:

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
>EXAMINE HOLE
>PUT HAND INTO HOLE
>DO NOTHING

ahh, the one screenshot from FF9 I always see posted with no further context.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's Zidane, what further context do you need

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I think the most use I ever got out of Matra Magic was casting it on Quina in preparation for Limit Glove.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Cleyra's interesting from an ecological/visuals point, with being a giant tree filled with sand and all the interesting byproducts that happen because of that.

Also the next sequence of events is one of my favorite from this game, even if it's kinda weird and the subtleties are a bit muddled.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Normally, I'm not a fan of desert towns in videogames from an aesthetic standpoint. They tend to be bland. But Cleyra is one of my favorites, period. Absolutely gorgeous. I'd spend my time around the water wheel and whatnot, though, since I'm more of a water guy which is why a certain town later on is one of my favorite fictional towns ever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure Vivi can one-shot the golems with Ice 2, if he's got an ice boost from gear.

Also did you have Quina eat the zu that ate Freya? That's disturbing.

GalenEvil
Apr 22, 2014
It's like an even more disturbing version of a Turduckhen!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Well, rats probably ARE below vultures on the food chain, so I guess it makes sense in a weird way. But hey, Qus are weird people(?) so it works out.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mega64 posted:

Attack its core while it's up however causes a counter attack.
Don't you mean "Attack while its core is up!

It's gonna counter attack!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Even spiral here start to look like ice cream...

Next time, things start picking up rather quickly.

It took me several playthroughs before I learned that I could do this.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Haha, I've never seen that scene before, that's pretty great.

I was somehow under the impression that using Matra Magic on an enemy made them taste bad, denying the player the easy way to get Blue Magic. I guess I unknowingly already had the ability from the monster I tried it on back then.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It is kind of weird that Cleyra never cultivated any regional specialties despite being a mystic tree garden.

I suppose tasty food is an affront to kangaroo rat religion or whatever?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Glazius posted:

It is kind of weird that Cleyra never cultivated any regional specialties despite being a mystic tree garden.

Naw, the regional specialty is a dish they're not crazy enough to offer to visitors. No outsider has ever enjoyed a sandwich made with real sand, apparently. :rimshot:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also the whole Isolationist deal makes it really hard to have a famous delicacy. I mean, they probably have some tasty fruits/fungi/antlion cuisine that no one knows about because they have to go through a sandstorm and climb a golem infested tree while dealing with all of those sand puzzles to get to it.

I mean, there's also a moogle living in there but moogles are crazy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Glazius posted:

I think their response has less to do with an absence of Cleyran cuisine and more to do with a strange-looking person hounding them for answers apropos of nothing.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.
So I finally caught up with the new updates and I have two things to say:

1) I'm really happy that the thread is up and running again. I stopped by because I was looking for a gif of Vivi, and this was a pleasant surprise.
2)
I don't remember this theme at all, but goodness does it sound pretty.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Don't you mean "Attack while its core is up!

It's gonna counter attack!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

By the way, Mega, if you have the appropriate Chocograph, you can get a treasure nearby Cleyra now.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

By the way, Mega, if you have the appropriate Chocograph, you can get a treasure nearby Cleyra now. go play Chocobo Hot and Cold for 5 hours and forget why you were doing it before getting engrossed in the music.

ftfy.

I'm not correcting that out of experience or anything, why do you ask?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

FeyerbrandX posted:

ftfy.

I'm not correcting that out of experience or anything, why do you ask?

Further edit:

quote:

By the way, Mega, if you have the appropriate Chocograph, you can get a treasure nearby Cleyra now. go play Chocobo Hot and Cold for 5 hours and forget why you were doing it before getting engrossed in the music. because it's the funnest goddamn game and you're back in control of the person who can play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's a cool secret in Chocobo Hot and Cold. If you go south past Choco when you're not riding him between games there's a whole other quest to do and a world to explore.

• Locked thread