Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
http://fractalsoftworks.com/2016/04/20/economy-revamp/

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hopefully this means that industry will be useful soon. I want my heavily armed merchant empire!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I abandoned a save due to a really weird bug where when I was in the map screen trying to click on Gneiss the map moved half a screen to the left, until it moved off the screen entirely and I couldn't use it anymore :psyduck:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tarezax posted:

I abandoned a save due to a really weird bug where when I was in the map screen trying to click on Gneiss the map moved half a screen to the left, until it moved off the screen entirely and I couldn't use it anymore :psyduck:

jeez just get console commands and jump hyperspace or something to reset

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Apparently hiding in the shadow of moons / planets from pulsars is going to be a thing:
https://gfycat.com/WarpedSpiffyIncatern
https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/729002524120879105

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm crying.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like Starsector's getting a Giantbomb video tomorrow, which should help bring introduce some new players to the game.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 9, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

That is the greatest mod ever.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I'm taking that rear end.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Mordja posted:

Looks like Starsector's getting a Giantbomb video tomorrow, which should help bring introduce some new players to the game.

God drat he's bad at Starsector. Every single thing he was doing pissed me off. I couldn't watch past 10 minutes in.

"Oh, I like how there's strategy" *deploys nothing but a handful of heavy cruisers with no mobility, is flanked and wrecked by a Lasher* :thumbsup:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Minarchist posted:

God drat he's bad at Starsector. Every single thing he was doing pissed me off. I couldn't watch past 10 minutes in.

"Oh, I like how there's strategy" *deploys nothing but a handful of heavy cruisers with no mobility, is flanked and wrecked by a Lasher* :thumbsup:

Yeah it was pretty painful and hardly showed anything off, but hey, free marketing.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Minarchist posted:

I think it's just that the video is aimed totally at people that have never played or heard of Starsector. Show some winning, show some losing; It seems like a good way to demo games to me. He was knowledgeable about the game, so I think the bad play was mostly intentional or because he was talking about the game and getting comments and questions from the two other hosts. Getting flanked and wrecked is a good way of teaching people "don't do this". Also, The Last Hurrah is loving hard. Getting wrecked by something is expected.

He also gets credit from me for showing off an easy mission first. IMO a lot of people try Starsector and fail hard because they jump right into the campaign and ignore the missions. They're a great way to learn the game.

The only thing I didn't like was he didn't use his active abilities very much and didn't really talk about them, except with the Scarab.

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

Don't forget to grab the new Tiandong Heavy Industries update.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9583.msg188362#msg188362

Estel
May 4, 2010
I think i bought the game in 2013 and thought it looked cool and promising but kinda forgot about it until now. Can someone give me a resume about what has changed since then?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Lots of stuff, you should reinstall and find out.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Estel posted:

I think i bought the game in 2013 and thought it looked cool and promising but kinda forgot about it until now. Can someone give me a resume about what has changed since then?

Everything. It's not even in space anymore!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Estel posted:

The campaign has proper simulated economy and the sensors aren't infinite and instant anymore. Basically, there's gameplay for the non-combat parts now.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

The campaign has proper simulated economy and the sensors aren't infinite and instant anymore. Basically, there's gameplay for the non-combat parts now.

Also, phase ships have some snazzy bullet time effect when phased, enables both you and the AI to make some sick moves.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone got any tips for a green as grass space captain just starting out in the universe? Tried playing a few starter games and just wanted to start out as a lone level 1 frigate and work my way up to admiral of a space trucker convoy before inevitably outfitting my own PMC navy; however I keep getting caught by small fast pirate fleets and the starting frigate is too slow and under-gunned to do much.

Am I playing the video game wrong?

Should I be starting out with one of the squadron starts instead?

Will Cpt. John Hardgrav of the ISS Whore's Glory have to learn the value of friendship to survive in a galaxy gone mad?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Anyone got any tips for a green as grass space captain just starting out in the universe? Tried playing a few starter games and just wanted to start out as a lone level 1 frigate and work my way up to admiral of a space trucker convoy before inevitably outfitting my own PMC navy; however I keep getting caught by small fast pirate fleets and the starting frigate is too slow and under-gunned to do much.

Am I playing the video game wrong?

Should I be starting out with one of the squadron starts instead?

Will Cpt. John Hardgrav of the ISS Whore's Glory have to learn the value of friendship to survive in a galaxy gone mad?

Having a buddy help a lot as you will much more rarely get flanked, personally I often buy a cheap mercury shuttle, fit some pd weapon and a missile and max out its shield tank so it can keep some enemy distracted while I do the killing. But if you want to go at it alone I suggest you try to learn to fly and defeat a couple of starter enemies in the simulator that you can reach via the fitting screen. Also, hold down shift and your ship will turn against the mouse pointer, this makes agile ships much easier to fly. If you have a fitted combat ship like a wolf or something the autopilot is pretty drat good, so if you struggle press U and watch how it plays.

If you keep getting run down by pirates on the campaign map in a frigate, it is because they use the emergency burn function, something which you too can use assuming you have enough fuel. Finally, the rings that you see bleeping around from the edges of your viewrange in the campaign map originates from nearby fleets, if you are chased by pirates try to run into a friendly fleet, the smaller pirate raiders will either gently caress off or get killed.

Cat Sidhe
Jan 9, 2015
Fun blog post time http://fractalsoftworks.com/2016/06/09/planetary-surveys/ :toot:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Good god, the first real inkling as to what some of the industry skills will do? :monocle:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

the update winter is hell

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I always get confused with his blog posts because I can't see what the last major update that was added to the game is. So I don't know if this update will be rolling out shortly, or if it's gonna be a good few weeks before it's out.

Is there a changelog I can view to see the dates / updates he's done to the game?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really like his behaviour-focused approach to design. Think about what you want the player to be doing and then work backwards. It makes some really sensible design decisions.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Loopoo posted:

I always get confused with his blog posts because I can't see what the last major update that was added to the game is. So I don't know if this update will be rolling out shortly, or if it's gonna be a good few weeks before it's out.

Is there a changelog I can view to see the dates / updates he's done to the game?

Check the Announcements forum on their website:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10661.0

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I really like his behaviour-focused approach to design. Think about what you want the player to be doing and then work backwards. It makes some really sensible design decisions.

Yes it is really nice and in general a good approach to game design, but since he does everything himself it also takes soooooo much tiiiiiiiime. Part of me just wants him to release the game as is on steam and just have him hire a dozen guys to hopefully speed things up a bit. But the more sensible part knows that it would probably result in a management and quality clusterfuck and that any productivity gains would likely be quite far in the future.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OUTPOSTS

gently caress yes :woop:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like that's been a big part of why Starsector is so drat solid and fun even while it's uncomplete. So many games (even really good ones) have mechanics and features which don't add anything interesting and you get the feeling the devs just put them in without actually giving them much thought.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd like surveying to be decoupled from the skill system and instead be based on hiring teams to do it for you that you drop off. Same with a lot of the industry stuff. Keep the skill tree for combat related stuff.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

panic.png

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

would that swarm even damage your pd-heavy low-flux kark?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

It took my hull down to about half, actually. If I hadn't fit the 4 missile launchers with flares I probably would have had a much rougher time of it. Of course, I dived into it trying to hit as much of it as I could because just offscreen was also most of my heavily beaten up fleet. :v:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

can't trust those shredders. i usually go with flak and some kind of burst laser

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I tend to stick with vulcans myself, but this is a gimmick run where I fit as many faction only weapons on as I can. The only reason I have the flare launchers on is entirely because shredders aren't that hot though, yeah. Might not be a bad idea to swap them for the Argus stuff though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, so just what's the deal with Starsector+ these days? I looks like it's been split up into a bunch of smaller mods, but it looks like it's still being released in the main thread anyway. Which is the best one to get?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
As far as i understand it, the 'main' thread is just tepid legacy support until the next base game version and the main release is now all the sub-mods. He got tired of trying to keep his alternate skill tree suite up-to-date and was getting criticism for sweeping changes in SS+ where people would like some things but hate other changes. So, he ditched the first entirely and split up the second so you can take it all a la carte.

The one he wants people to use is the sub-mod threads, basically, but I'm not sure that they quite play nice with all the other mods right now.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 30, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat this game is good, this guy is really good at design and really gets what makes a good and fun system and what's just a boring chore with a single right answer. Surveying and outposts are going to be so good.

Does he do everything him self? Who does the art? I've always really enjoyed all the little incidental art you'd get at starbases and planets and things.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think the dude who does the art is actually a goon and has posted in this thread. There's a bunch of mod makers in this thread too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What happened to that goon-made mod featuring mutually buffing ships?