Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Some characters EX weapons are really bad, so you might as well choose something else in those cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Can't let Xiahou Ba have all the fun.

But seriously Pirate Warriors 3 is the best and none of my friends believe me because they don't give a gently caress about One Piece.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So in about a week doesn't ROTK 13 release in English on Steam (after some weird delay)? Anyone have any insight on it? Worth buying, pass, etc.?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

But seriously Pirate Warriors 3 is the best and none of my friends believe me because they don't give a gently caress about One Piece.

It's also a really good PC port, works fine even in my lovely laptop with an integrated graphics card.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Sky Shadowing posted:

So in about a week doesn't ROTK 13 release in English on Steam (after some weird delay)? Anyone have any insight on it? Worth buying, pass, etc.?

Steam release in the US is July 5th. Reviews on the existing version on Steam (Japanese/Korean/Chinese language) are mixed, but having not played it myself I can't really weigh in on it. I

I know I'll end up buying it regardless.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

What is that game even? I've never seen that series before.

It kinda looks like Dynasty Warriors: Total War.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

What is that game even? I've never seen that series before.

It kinda looks like Dynasty Warriors: Total War.

Dynasty Warriors is the dumb, goofy, beat-em-up spinoff of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games. I've only played a little bit of number 4, but from what I can garner, they're some weird mix of RTS and empire building (but not necessarily 4X like Civilization)

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's a story about wacky magical pirates and their battles with other magical pirates/marines/pretend gods. It's a formula that lends itself exceptionally well to this game format.

Except for that one level. gently caress that level.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Its an officer game(as in you can be anything from homeless to emperor, no fixed ruler only starts) like 7,8, and 10 so I don't see how it can be bad.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any real reason to use non-Favorite weapons in DW8?
It seems weird that they even give you an option.

Because it lets you have fun if you pick Lianshi.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Evil Canadian posted:

Its an officer game(as in you can be anything from homeless to emperor, no fixed ruler only starts) like 7,8, and 10 so I don't see how it can be bad.

The Steam reviews are pretty damning of the Officer part of the game, saying there's little to do and you're promoted up to general ASAP with no chance to refuse. Then the AI lord makes you manage all cities but their own.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

RotTK 8 is one of the most fun games I've ever played, more so since I got it on the PS2 for £5 from a Blockbuster's used games section. 13 is pretty pricey but I'll also end up getting it if it's getting an english update.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Internet Friend posted:

The Steam reviews are pretty damning of the Officer part of the game, saying there's little to do and you're promoted up to general ASAP with no chance to refuse. Then the AI lord makes you manage all cities but their own.

That seems kind of silly, but K-T will presumably make one of those "power-up kit" versions in order to address some of the issues involved.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
The PSN Big in Japan sale is currently happening on European PSN and there's a handful of Warriors games, usually around the €15-€20 price point for ps3 (I don't know what the average cost in sterling is, like three bottlecaps or whatever they're using for currency now)

SW4 empires is only a little cheaper than usual though, as is the standard for more recent Musou games on sale. (€30-ps3/€35-ps4)

And still no Gundam Warriors for sale.

(EDF2025 is though, which I think I'll go for, seems Musou-esque enough for a laugh)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any real reason to use non-Favorite weapons in DW8?
It seems weird that they even give you an option.

I really wish Favorite weapons didn't exist. Its like they finally realized they could let anybody use any weapon and that'd be real cool, and then put in all the work to make that happen

and then at the last second some bozo wandered into the office and said "hey wouldn't it be cool if each character had a special weapon they could do special attacks with?"

Good job defeating the entire point :doh:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Internet Friend posted:

This better not be true because that would loving suck. The whole drat point of officer mode is being as big or as small of a cog as you want

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

RentACop posted:

This better not be true because that would loving suck. The whole drat point of officer mode is being as big or as small of a cog as you want

10 was the best cause you could just wonder around as a free officer with a private army and be a wild card all game

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Zaphod42 posted:

I really wish Favorite weapons didn't exist. Its like they finally realized they could let anybody use any weapon and that'd be real cool, and then put in all the work to make that happen

and then at the last second some bozo wandered into the office and said "hey wouldn't it be cool if each character had a special weapon they could do special attacks with?"

A lot of it seems more like that they wanted characters with clone movesets to still be somewhat unique, but since they got rid of essentially every Clone moveset in 8(XL?) or so, yeah it's pretty meaningless.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Zaphod42 posted:

Some weapons are still just poor to actually use, though they're trying (And always have been) in most respects. The EXs and switch moves are often the defining attacks of that moveset, more so than the normals, charges, or Musous. Then again, there are also some poor EXs. And some reuse among EX-Who knew Zhou Tai and Zhang Jiao would have something(anything) in common?

It also keeps things simpler with the AI-you'll never see an AI willingly using an off-type weapon, and you know what you're dealing with when you face one. Then again, you never see the AI using EXs, so...(I swear modders have pulled some things concerning that, but I forget how or where I saw such.)

Given that there were abilities that allowed you to eventually use some of the the unique aspects of weapons(Like Shadow Step, Dash) it's possible they intended you to use the EX's at some point.

The matter's proved more useful for Empires than for standard.

We kinda saw the problem when they released the DLC movesets for 8, which had no EXs at all. They were nice enough as weapons, but you always felt you were kinda missing out.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't think KT gets Steam sales. Most of their stuff doesn't go on sale, and the stuff that does is always on a tiny sale. I mean, look at Arslan: it's only 10% off. Really? Might as well not have bothered.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Internet Friend posted:

That reminds me of 7. You drat near had to sabotage yourself not to get named Ruler after doing well for a few years.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

PureRok posted:

I don't think KT gets Steam sales. Most of their stuff doesn't go on sale, and the stuff that does is always on a tiny sale. I mean, look at Arslan: it's only 10% off. Really? Might as well not have bothered.

They probably come from the viewpoint of 'How much money do we want/need to make?' and 'how many absolute diehards are there who will buy our stuff no matter what?'

Divide the former number by the latter and that'll be the retail price.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

PureRok posted:

They currently have a few more Steam games at 50% off or so, which isn't far from the average discount for the summer sale as a whole.

Which doesn't excuse their being so stingy with Arslan. I assume DQH having no discount is decided by S-E as the publisher though.

wielder fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 30, 2016

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Chewy Bitems posted:

The PSN Big in Japan sale is currently happening on European PSN and there's a handful of Warriors games, usually around the €15-€20 price point for ps3 (I don't know what the average cost in sterling is, like three bottlecaps or whatever they're using for currency now)

SW4 empires is only a little cheaper than usual though, as is the standard for more recent Musou games on sale. (€30-ps3/€35-ps4)

SW4-E for PS3 is £20 on there but you can buy the PS4 version on disk for £15.

I was extremely pleased to see that SW4 was on there for £10.99 and promptly bought it and played chronicle mode for a short amount of time (actually 8 hours).

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
Any news about Dynasty Warriors: Eiketsuden?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

PureRok posted:

I've been waiting for so long to go get the DW8E character parts packs, but they never go on sale.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
K/T almost never puts DLC on sale, don't get your hopes up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Super new to the series. I just bought 8 XL CE from Steam so I have a few questions:

-characters pretty much start at level 1, so is that why my combos and musous are locked at the start? cause in the tutorial you can combo up to 6x or you can do all 3 musous there. Is there a specific time or level when they unlock or anything?
-EX attacks are just preferred weapons that let you do special combos with extra heavy attacks right? But you can still get away with using two non-EX weapons for the most part?
-also I guess musou attacks use an EX weapon whether or not you have that equipped but is that affected then since you don't have a weapon there you just get some base damage or what? (or are musou attacks % based regardless?)
-also I guess story mode auto levels those characters that participate but I have to assume free mode is there so you can level whatever? And what exactly is ambition mode? Is it more of a strategy style version that's all scenario based or something?
-and the level cap is like 150 with the expansions? That sounds insane even for one character. Is it really? Also like 2500 weapons, I dunno, do you just collect them over time?
-how do weapon stars work? do they just come up as you level your character or is there an EXP system for using them over time with stars affected by whatever your character has affinity for but you need to level them up anyway?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
1. Yes. You unlock your 5th and 6th attacks with levels. If you EX move is tied to either of those, you can't use it till it opens up.
2. Yes, you may use as you wish.
3. Musou attacks are completely disconnected from weapon, apart from taking any properties your weapon has(Like life leech or so on), and the base damage of the weapon.
4. Free Mode has stars to earn for various stuff, different from the main story mode. Ambition Mode is...weird. It's running various minor battles to build up your base camp, attract followers(Other characters and generics), build friendships, and get stuff, including, critically, crafting weapons to your own specifications. It's hard for me to describe.
5. It is 150. You can buy levels with gold in Ambition, though. And the later difficulties can be said to require such power.
Weapons: There's about 50 weapon types, all with 6 ranks per type. 1 to 4 can be found as random drops(Higher difficulty helps) or bought in stores during Story and in Ambition. 5 and 6 all have special requirements per character and must be earned
6. They come as you level up the character. Stars are a visual indication of compatibility-you use weapons you're better with, you get a small attack boost.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/750280730035576832

That's pretty cool.

Interested to hear how the game is, I'd love a good looking officer game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That Update is hella mojor.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Any word on how ROTK 13 came out? I've been dying for a good officer entry for years, since ROTK 10, but steam reviews appear to be quite poor for this one. I'm not sure if most of that is due to people being unhappy about the lack of an English translation until now, or if it's genuinely not good. After how awful I heard 12 was, I'm not readily willing to take the plunge on this blind.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

That Update is hella mojor.

I got a good feeling!

About this translation.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Dawnfire posted:

Any word on how ROTK 13 came out? I've been dying for a good officer entry for years, since ROTK 10, but steam reviews appear to be quite poor for this one. I'm not sure if most of that is due to people being unhappy about the lack of an English translation until now, or if it's genuinely not good. After how awful I heard 12 was, I'm not readily willing to take the plunge on this blind.

There's also the formerly high price as a contributing factor to the negativity, before it was recently discounted.

If nothing else, the western reviews on other sites seem to be more positive. Most aren't comparing the game to the previous titles though, with exceptions like this one. The reviewer is disappointed that it's not as good as the best ROTK games, but thinks it's a decent enough game in any case.

Naturally, there's a good chance that Koei will fix some of the more structural issues with the PUK version. Gotta milk the fans.

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 6, 2016

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
That review helps a lot, thank you. Seems a pretty decent game in it's own right, but a little bit shallow in all aspects compared to older entries. I'll probably wait for a sale on this one, rather than jumping in right away.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Has anyone had any luck finding a physical PS4 copy?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

wielder posted:

Naturally, there's a good chance that Koei will fix some of the more structural issues with the PUK version. Gotta milk the fans.

Do they normally release the power up kit as an expansion pack or as a standalone release? I played so much of 8 and 10, but I hated that we only got the PS2 versions with crappy resolution and no PUK. This is going to sound super lame, but once I loaded up the PC version of X with a (very rough) partial English translation patch and was blown away just by scrolling through the menus and seeing all of the portraits and event art at full res.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

If nothing else, the presentation of RotTK XIII is great. The art/portraits are really pretty :allears:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Randallteal posted:

Do they normally release the power up kit as an expansion pack or as a standalone release? I played so much of 8 and 10, but I hated that we only got the PS2 versions with crappy resolution and no PUK. This is going to sound super lame, but once I loaded up the PC version of X with a (very rough) partial English translation patch and was blown away just by scrolling through the menus and seeing all of the portraits and event art at full res.

It seems they generally sell the PUK in both standalone and expansion pack formats, at least for the PC versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Well I am having a lot of fun with rotk13 so far anyways :shobon: