Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had a Yoshi RS-3 for about five months that I was nuts for. Great sound, without being ugly or sharp or obnoxious. It is what I would have, until two weeks ago, have insisted that you get.

Then I rode an SV650 with a SuperTrapp slip on that had a few disks removed and Everything Changed.

That exhaust didn't make me want to run out and buy a SuperTrapp that very instant. It made me want to run out and buy another SV650 to put a SuperTrapp on that very instant. Never in my life have I ridden a bike with such a symphony of sound. It was like being inside a cammed out V8 musclecar, even at idle. The sound wasn't overly loud or obnoxious, yet it was full, and all encompassing. Riding next to the bike filled me with desire, riding on it was intoxicating.

Consider it.

It looks drat good, too, short and melding with the lines of the swingarm, leaving the tail in full view.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

brotastrophe posted:

I've heard good things about the yosh but I really love my m4. Gives it a nice deep sound

Mine currently has a two-bros that's not too obnoxious, but it also came with an M4. Sadly just the can for the M4, it's missing the hanger bracket and the little bit of pipe that slips over the actual factory tubing to connect it to the can itself. I need to see if I can find the missing bits somehow, as everyone keeps saying the M4 is the nicest SV can.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had never even considered a super trap, I'll look them up. I am partial to yosh pipes as well, as they always seem to do their best work on suzukis.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Coydog posted:

That exhaust didn't make me want to run out and buy a SuperTrapp that very instant. It made me want to run out and buy another SV650 to put a SuperTrapp on that very instant. Never in my life have I ridden a bike with such a symphony of sound. It was like being inside a cammed out V8 musclecar, even at idle. The sound wasn't overly loud or obnoxious, yet it was full, and all encompassing. Riding next to the bike filled me with desire, riding on it was intoxicating.

People make fun of me for the Supertrapp on my Hawk GT but this is exactly how I feel too :hfive:

It's all vvvvvvvRRRRRRRAAAAAPPPPOOWWwwwww pop pop crak pob burb pow

Awesome sound, very deep and rumbly, and still quiet enough that I've never seen someone wince or startle when I ride by. I don't think I'm the type of person to go out and buy a new exhaust just for the sound, but this one came with the bike and I sure do appreciate it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 7, 2016

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
gonna buy a 2000 sv650 from a dealer, any model specific things i should look for?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Got my poopy but functional SV. God this thing is so ugly.

I want to get rid of the front fairings and put clip ons and a round headlight. My friend is going to fabricate a bracket for the gauges and headlight for me. Do you guys have any good recommendations for headlights?
Also what is the consensus on Traxxion emulators? I'm having trouble finding gsxr front ends around here and I'd like to save some money.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I just threw a cyclops LED in my regular headlight. Not ideal because of the reflector, but good enough. If you're really hurting for a gsxr front end, hit up Brandon Brown of Brandon's Cycle Salvage on fb. He refreshes the front ends and sells them separate specifically for SV dudes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What is it with CA posters getting beautiful and rare SV1000 and then going to great lengths to creatively ruin them. :( Stop, just please stop.

edit: Your SV is beautiful, and I am envious. Enjoy!

Coydog fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 16, 2016

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Passed my mod 2 yesterday

Picking up my new to me SV650 tomorrow morning

Need to immediately take it on the motorway so I can catch my flight in the afternoon

What could possibly go wrong??

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

What is it with CA posters getting beautiful and rare SV1000 and then going to great lengths to creatively ruin them. :( Stop, just please stop.

edit: Your SV is beautiful, and I am envious. Enjoy!

That's a 650 :confused:

Not that they arent also beautiful

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
Please forgive my ignorance, but I thought the "S" came with clip ons already. What's the difference between the various models?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's a 650 :confused:

Not that they arent also beautiful

:eng99: All of the SV1000 I've seen have been that beautiful all silver (yes I know they come in other colors), and I've never seen a 650 like that. I thought the all silver awesomeness was SV1K specific.

Put a supertrapp on that thing.

Eaterofpoptarts posted:

Please forgive my ignorance, but I thought the "S" came with clip ons already. What's the difference between the various models?

It does, and that silver SV has clipons with risers. I think he wants super low clipons, to complete the streetfighter look he desires.

primitive posted:

Passed my mod 2 yesterday

Picking up my new to me SV650 tomorrow morning

Need to immediately take it on the motorway so I can catch my flight in the afternoon

What could possibly go wrong??

Nothing. The highway is a boring place, and safer than side streets. Just keep your cool and muscles relaxed and it will be ok. Unless you have a truck tire flung into your front wheel like mine, then your SV will be wadded.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Coydog posted:

It does, and that silver SV has clipons with risers. I think he wants super low clipons, to make it as pointlessly uncomfortable as possible

Spotted your typo and fixed it Coydog

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

SV650 home safe, there's torque everywhere and I'm now gay for Suzuki

Couple of small issues now that I've lived with it for a day:

- exhaust was a MOT advisory last year, is likely to be a MOT fail this year, it's got a broken bracket and a slip on that looks like it was installed with crazy glue. I'm taking it to a race shop for a full system and a tune :getin:

- something brake related is dragging in the front, the pads are hosed anyway so it's probably time for pads / fluid/ unfuck callipers

However it's a fantastic runner, I can't wait to see what else the PO has bodged

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Welcome to the club :hfive:

The front calipers tend to get filled with brake dust and road crud and then the pistons hang up and get stuck, causing he brakes to drag. Taking the caliper off and cleaning the pistons as well as maybe replacing seals will usually fix it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Definitely clean the pistons with soapy water and a toothbrush.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

So a full exhaust + remap will cost me £1000+, what's the cheapest thing I can do to get past MOT that isn't an utter hack? Is this the sort of thing where an exhaust shop can replace sections with a pipe bender, or is getting a new stock exhaust the way to go?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
New (used) stock exhaust is almost always the way to go.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Z3n posted:

New (used) stock exhaust is almost always the way to go.

What years can I expect to be compatible with my 05? 04-13?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
03-13, I believe.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

04-13, the 03 was the special snowflake edition with slightly different exhaust

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

04-13, the 03 was the special snowflake edition with slightly different exhaust

Oh, didn't realize the exhaust was different that year too. Suzuki! :argh:

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I need a new bar-end mirror for my 2000 SV650. Any favorites?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

My horn is not working when the engine is warm. When i just start the bike after its sat for a while, it's just fine

What should i be checking?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

turing_test posted:

Any of the CRG stuff is good.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'm getting my used 2008 SV650S up to speed and I'm stuck on this area right now. I can't figure out what's supposed to be in these holes (or rather, what's supposed to be behind them). Is there some kind of inner liner I'm missing here?

I have new headlight plate covers but I'm not even sure what hardware its supposed to use yet.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Those are hsld manifolds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

turing_test posted:

I use these and they're great and cheap. A little small, maybe, but they don't loosen up and the lenses are clear and undistorted. Blurry at certain RPMs but that's part of the deal with bar-ends.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32421039324.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm getting my used 2008 SV650S up to speed and I'm stuck on this area right now. I can't figure out what's supposed to be in these holes (or rather, what's supposed to be behind them). Is there some kind of inner liner I'm missing here?

I have new headlight plate covers but I'm not even sure what hardware its supposed to use yet.

Condolences, those holes were drilled by a previous owner

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Haha, frankly, that makes it all better. I was going over the service manual diagrams confused as gently caress. I'll just plug them with automotive push pins

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

I bought a 2000 SV650 today per Zen's advice. It has 6 speeds. What gives?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Verge posted:

Normally between 5th and 6th... Sometimes 4th and 5th...

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

TheFonz posted:

Normally between 5th and 6th... Sometimes 4th and 5th...

between? you talking about neutral?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
So, you know how when you read watched (who am i kidding) harry potter, they had to take the train platform that was between platforms? It's like that for the SV. If you want to lean on the sv, you need to be between 4th and 5th, or 5th and 6th. You'll get it, with practice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Verge posted:

I know this is a big adjustment from a Harley but you don't really have to worry about it and you can just leave it in 5th until you feel comfortable with using the extra gear.

It also uses water to cool itself, but I promise you it'll still be fun to ride even if it doesn't roast your nuts quite like the Harley does! It'll be ok buddy, we'll get you into modern motorcycle technology at a pace you're comfortable with!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Coydog posted:

So, you know how when you read watched (who am i kidding) harry potter, they had to take the train platform that was between platforms? It's like that for the SV. If you want to lean on the sv, you need to be between 4th and 5th, or 5th and 6th. You'll get it, with practice.

I had an SV for 9 years and I want to say I spent 75% of my time every time just feeling the rhythm of the road between gears. I mean, it may say 6, but why not 16, or 26 you know?

It was supposed to be a false neutral joke with the "What Gives?". The transmission gives extra neutrals.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

I know this is a big adjustment from a Harley but you don't really have to worry about it and you can just leave it in 5th until you feel comfortable with using the extra gear.

Hold off on stepping up to 6th for as along as possible!!! Once you build a tolerance to 6th gear, you'll no longer be satisfied, and forever go searching for the elusive 7th!

TheFonz posted:

I mean, it may say 6, but why not 16, or 26 you know?

When they talk about the "freedom of the road" this is what they mean. Unburdened and unshackled by society's predefined integer values for gears. Find your own way.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

It also uses water to cool itself, but I promise you it'll still be fun to ride even if it doesn't roast your nuts quite like the Harley does! It'll be ok buddy, we'll get you into modern motorcycle technology at a pace you're comfortable with!

this is my 5th bike... anyway, ive always had 6 speeds but as far as i know, it's supposed to have 5 because it's first gen.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Verge posted:

this is my 5th bike... anyway, ive always had 6 speeds but as far as i know, it's supposed to have 5 because it's first gen.

No it's not, it's six speed, just like the second gen. I've never even heard of a 5 speed SV. You have to use your words so we know what you mean when you say things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Coydog posted:

No it's not, it's six speed, just like the new one. I've never even heard of a 5 speed SV. You have to use your words so we know what you mean when you say things.

How RUDE.

He is right though, Always been a 6 speed. Always will be. Forever in our hearts.

SV650 <3 6 Speed

• Locked thread