Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That probably comes from paying a lot of people to produce art for the game, rather than the actual scope of gameplay design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

deadwing posted:

Only two million to start turning a profit on Zelda? That seems low for the scope of the game, I remember some article saying your average big budget AAA title needs 5+ million to be profitable.

It's a Wii U game, so last gen's tech for all intents and purposes. A lot cheaper to produce for than current gen, so easier to recoup costs as well. It's a business strategy that worked out amazingly for the original Wii, less so for its successor but that's more because of other factors like bad marketing and an unpopular gimmick.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I think his answer was saying "A woman in the boardroom? We already have a black! Let's not go crazy here!"

Reggie's a double minority. Only black and only non-Japanese executive of Nintendo, a very insular Japanese company.

They totally need a lady executive in the mix somewhere, but Reggie absolutely stands out more than a Japanese lady would.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

In Training posted:

That probably comes from paying a lot of people to produce art for the game, rather than the actual scope of gameplay design

It's a massive open-world game that's been in development, unseen, for years. That kinda developmemt means money got eaten on dropped prototypes and/or just hammering out back-end coding for a world that large into something stable. Especially with all the neat dynamic poo poo in the game like freeform climbing and setting grass on fire.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Concerning the 7th Dragon Demo: Does anything cross over to the main game? Or is it all pre-made characters?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Patter Song posted:

Reggie's a double minority. Only black and only non-Japanese executive of Nintendo, a very insular Japanese company.

They totally need a lady executive in the mix somewhere, but Reggie absolutely stands out more than a Japanese lady would.

It's time for Cammie Dunaway to come back.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's time for Cammie Dunaway to come back.

And now welcome to our E3 event stage, somebody's mom!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

deadwing posted:

Only two million to start turning a profit on Zelda? That seems low for the scope of the game, I remember some article saying your average big budget AAA title needs 5+ million to be profitable.

Nintendo doesn't gently caress up budgets with movie stars and 100 hours of 80s top hits for a soundtrack. Also stylized v realistic graphics are a heck of a lot easier to make and cheaper. Its not them being cheap its just being smart. You need Gannon played by Pitbull?

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Yes I actually do

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Junkie Disease posted:

You need Gannon played by Pitbull?

Yes, and Ke$ha as Link

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I want them to get Martin Short to do straight-up Jiminy Glick for Tingle.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Gilbert Gottfried as Navi

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Sarah Jessica Parker as Epona

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

less laughter posted:

Sarah Jessica Parker as Epona

lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Super Mario RPG hits WiiU tomorrow for NA, FINALLY.
Now all we need is to get all those Sega games that Japan is hoarding for themselves.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MinibarMatchman posted:

Now all we need is to get all those Sega games that Japan is hoarding for themselves.

It's time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmbqeMTfoXs

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Rexroom posted:

[*] Questions about Brexit and how it'll affect Nintendo. Mostly it'll be about (the lack of) EU regulations in the future, but the strong yen is a bigger problem.

how is the strong yen a problem?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MinibarMatchman posted:

WHAT. I wonder if this means we'll get some other Squenix stuff.

Man I know what I'm squirreling away for Labor Day weekend or something.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Davincie posted:

I think it goes something like: If you are a Japanese company that operates internationally and you are getting paid in currencies other than yen, the conversion makes that revenue worth less to you.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Awesome. I was just about to boot into vWii to play it.

I still think it's better than every other Mario RPG including 1000 Year Old Door.:colbert:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MinibarMatchman posted:

Glad to hear it. I bought Paper Mario on the Wii U when it was on sale just recently, and I was contemplating getting SMRPG on the Wii since it's still a lot cheaper than finding a cartridge, but it means dealing with Wii flappery. This is even better.

Now to get someone to re-release Thousand-Year Door!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Sure would be nice if they could release SNES games on 3DS/WiiU simultaneously now... BUT WHY WOULD THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

It makes Japanese products more expensive, which means that they'd either have to raise prices abroad or sell them at a loss.

Let's say for a second that when the NX comes out it's 30,000 Yen in Japan. A year ago that'd be ~$240 US. Today that same NX would be ~$300 US. That's without the Japanese price changing. Brexit might well mean that, through no fault of their own, Nintendo has to make the NX significantly more expensive outside of Japan than they wanted to.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Simultaneous VC releases would only invite more complaints about the lack of crossbuy. And yeah, I wish there was crossbuy too.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

deadly_pudding posted:

Yes, Tomb Raider on the Game Boy Color

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

Right now, Tokyo Mirage Sessions costs 44.99 British pounds, which is 6200 yen or US$60. A week ago, it was closer to 7100 yen. If the pound keeps in freefall, the money they get from selling games and systems for pounds is worth less and less. It probably hurts a lot more that they likely do a big currency exchange every month or so, meaning the entire month's transactions before Brexit is now worth a ton less. It's probably already destroyed hardware margins, and a few percent on the worth of the yen vs USD has been Nintendo's entire operating profit (or close to it) before.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 29, 2016

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

Sure would be nice if they could release SNES games on 3DS/WiiU simultaneously now... BUT WHY WOULD THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?

Yeah, my WiiU SD card is full at the moment, but I would buy it on 3DS in an instant.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Davincie posted:

I do not mean this in a derogatory manner at all, but this is exactly why Brexit shouldn't have been left to the public.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Man I know what I'm squirreling away for Labor Day weekend or something.

There are still a good number of great GBA games that need to come over here to EU/NA, most of them being Square/Sega poo poo. I'd love to have FF Advance I+II as it's a unique remake, and also ALL the Sonic Advance games, Shining Force remake, and the Shining Soul games.

There are a grand total of zero Sega games on the NA Virtual Console for WiiU, and the only Squeenix game besides Mario RPG has been FF Tactics. I have no idea what the Sega games are being horded for, god drat. Probably to last the rest of the year since the I don't think there are anymore new WiiU games until Zelda next March.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

On the bright side, there are some pretty good NeoGeo, Turbografx and Sega games on the Wii's VC, which you still have access to. It seems like a quality control thing on the Wii U to just have Nintendo releases and some heralded third party titles.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
the yen's up and downs are a consequence of the dire management of Abenomics and Japanese governance in general

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not a case of quality control, it's a case of certain international publishers not giving a gently caress about VC.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not a case of quality control, it's a case of certain international publishers not giving a gently caress about VC.

This. There's plenty of SEGA games that'd sell reasonably well by the standards of the WiiUVC...but that's not a big enough audience to interest SEGA into putting in the effort of making their GBA, DS, and Wii games available on the VC.

They may be back for the NX Virtual Console if that system does any better, but I strongly doubt that SEGA is going to suddenly start dropping titles for the Wii U one in NA.

EDIT: Also, it's not just heralded titles...companies that are actually interested in the Wii U VC, like Capcom, Konami, and Natsume, have dropped some of their lovely back catalogs in addition to the actual good stuff.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Weren't some of Sega's GBA games published by THQ here?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Willo567 posted:

Most of the GBA ones, yeah. And that could indeed be an obstacle.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Patter Song posted:

EDIT: Also, it's not just heralded titles...companies that are actually interested in the Wii U VC, like Capcom, Konami, and Natsume, have dropped some of their lovely back catalogs in addition to the actual good stuff.

I've seen or played most of the games on the American Wii U Virtual Console at some point in my life, and most of them are at least average. A few sneak in like Bases Loaded or Spelunker yea. But just going through Natsume's Wii U VC catalog for example, almost everything they dropped was like a 7/10 or higher. Even still, they're using publishers with a high pedigree.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't gently caress with Spelunker.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Willo567 posted:

in EU some of them were, while Atlus handled publishing for a gluttony of NA stuff.

I'm also sad that while Konami dumped a lot of games on the VC, they forgot to dig up Ninja Five-O, their best GBA gem

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

MinibarMatchman posted:

Probably to last the rest of the year since the I don't think there are anymore new WiiU games until Zelda next March.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star 2 is coming out in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
If Sega did get on board with VC, they'd probably start by dropping the Wii Sonic titles before touching GBA/DS stuff as there's probably room for more extra sales/resales on something like Sonic Colors than there are with, say, Sonic Chronicles.

(Yes there is an RPG starring Sonic made by Bioware, why do you ask?)