Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Barbed Tongues posted:

I think Individual pharmacists can still refuse to personally dispense contraceptives on a religious basis. The lower court ruling seems to say that's fine, as long as the pharmacy still stocks the contraceptives and has at least one person on hand who doesn't have a religious issue with dispensing.

Not totally sure how I feel about that one - forcing a marketplace to carry certain products. I'm guessing because a pharmacy has to be accredited by the state somehow, they can dictate that they must have X, Y and Z products to get a license or qualify, and the state just put contraceptives on that list.

Otherwise, could a state dictate that all establishments who want a liquor license must sell Snakejuice[tm]?

Yup, welcome to Pennsylvania :downs:

Really though the state has a compelling interest to make sure that if you call yourself a pharmacy, doctors can expect to call in a prescription and patients can expect to have it filled. Human health is at stake.

The state does not have a similar compelling interest to justify forcing all privately owned liquor stores to sell Snakejuice[tm], even if it is provably the smoothest drink in the west and also made by a company owned by the governor's brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

alnilam posted:

Yup, welcome to Pennsylvania :downs:

Really though the state has a compelling interest to make sure that if you call yourself a pharmacy, doctors can expect to call in a prescription and patients can expect to have it filled. Human health is at stake.

The state does not have a similar compelling interest to justify forcing all privately owned liquor stores to sell Snakejuice[tm], even if it is provably the smoothest drink in the west and also made by a company owned by the governor's brother.

Okay, yeah. That makes sense. Thank you.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Barbed Tongues posted:

I think Individual pharmacists can still refuse to personally dispense contraceptives on a religious basis. The lower court ruling seems to say that's fine, as long as the pharmacy still stocks the contraceptives and has at least one person on hand who doesn't have a religious issue with dispensing.

Not totally sure how I feel about that one - forcing a marketplace to carry certain products. I'm guessing because a pharmacy has to be accredited by the state somehow, they can dictate that they must have X, Y and Z products to get a license or qualify, and the state just put contraceptives on that list.

Otherwise, could a state dictate that all establishments who want a liquor license must sell Snakejuice[tm]?

The state dictating the terms of the license in a "discriminatory" manner are what causes the first amendment issues in the first place.

The pharmacy has a pretty weak case I would say. Their strongest argument is that pharmacies can refuse to accept patients for several reasons. One of which is rejecting patients who have Medicaid or Medicare (regardless of whether they are willing to pay the price), which makes it look like the practice of denying to fill for religious reasons has been singled out in regulation. This makes it resemble the reasoning in the unanimously decided Santeria case. In this case though it seems pretty easily defeated if you define a compelling interest as a patient getting their prescriptions filled from the same pharmacy - which based on what I know about Rx can be important.

Also keep in mind the bar is much lower here than in other religious freedom cases - it's a 1A case not RFRA.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Barbed Tongues posted:

Pharmacies aren't stand alone operations. Doctors determine what medication their patient needs, the pharmacy dispenses it. If they can refuse to carry those drugs, they're substituting their personal, moral opinion for the medical determination of the doctor. Comparing them to a retail establishment makes no sense. The "drug store" part of the operation doesn't have to carry condoms, or any pro-sex products.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
It's not about pharmacies carrying certain drugs. Pharmacies don't have to carry certain drugs. It's a growing trend for them not to carry painkillers in higher crime areas for example.

It's about an individual pharmacist refusing to dispense drugs that the pharmacy does has. So in your not very analogous analogy, it'd be like the liquor store clerk refusing to sell your tequila but being okay with you buying whiskey.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

EwokEntourage posted:

It's not about pharmacies carrying certain drugs. Pharmacies don't have to carry certain drugs. It's a growing trend for them not to carry painkillers in higher crime areas for example.

It's about an individual pharmacist refusing to dispense drugs that the pharmacy does has. So in your not very analogous analogy, it'd be like the liquor store clerk refusing to sell your tequila but being okay with you buying whiskey.

Except the individual pharmacist can do exactly that. Refuse to dispense tequila because of religious reasons, as long as another bartender is still able to pour.

And I assume you mean 'Its not about pharmacies carrying certain brands of drugs' - because the case seems to be specifically about state law requiring pharmacies to carry contraceptives vs. not carry them.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

I guess Washington does require them to carry the drug so I am wrong I guess.

quote:

The first rule, known as the Delivery Rule, requires pharmacies to “deliver lawfully prescribed drugs or devices to patients and to distribute drugs and devices approved by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration for restricted distribution by pharmacies.” Wash. Admin. Code §246–869–010(1) (2009).2 The Deliv- ery Rule works in tandem with a pre-existing rule, called the Stocking Rule, that requires pharmacies to stock a “representative assortment of drugs in order to meet the pharmaceutical needs of its patients.” §246–869–150(1). The net result of these rules is that, so long as there is customer demand for emergency contraceptives, pharma- cies like Ralph’s must stock and dispense them regardless of any religious or moral objections that their owners may have.
The Board’s second new rule, called the Pharmacist Responsibility Rule, governs individual pharmacists. §246–863–095 (2010). The rule does not require any individual pharmacist to dispense medication in conflict with his or her beliefs. But because the Delivery Rule requires every pharmacy to dispense the medication, if a pharmacy wishes to employ a pharmacist who objects to dispensing a drug for religious reasons, the pharmacy must keep on duty at all times a second pharmacist who can dispense those drugs. We are told that few pharma- cies are likely to be willing to bear this expense. Brief for National and State Pharmacists’ Associations as Amici Curiae 23–24.
Usually when these cases come up, it's about an individual pharmacist refusing to dispense plan b at a pharmacy that carries it

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

EwokEntourage posted:

I guess Washington does require them to carry the drug so I am wrong I guess.

Usually when these cases come up, it's about an individual pharmacist refusing to dispense plan b at a pharmacy that carries it

It would be a pretty ineffective rule if the pharmacy could just not stock the drugs they object to, wouldn't it? They have to deliver what is prescribed, absent it being some rare drug they can't be expected to carry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Barbed Tongues posted:

Except the individual pharmacist can do exactly that. Refuse to dispense tequila because of religious reasons, as long as another bartender is still able to pour.

And I assume you mean 'Its not about pharmacies carrying certain brands of drugs' - because the case seems to be specifically about state law requiring pharmacies to carry contraceptives vs. not carry them.

Religious ideology should not be a hurdle for patients to access medication they are legally prrscribed and not suspected of abusing.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Religious ideology should not be a hurdle for patients to access medication they are legally prrscribed and not suspected of abusing.

I completely agree morally. Just wanted to understand how the court got there legally in this case. Everyone's answers have been great. Thanks again.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Know I'm a little behind, but there's an interesting example in Breyer's Whole Woman's Health opinion, where he discusses the arguments re: claim preclusion:

quote:

Imagine a group of prisoners who claim that they are being forced to drink contaminated water. These prisoners file suit against the facility where they are incarcerated. If at first their suit is dismissed because a court does not believe that the harm would be severe enough to be unconstitutional, it would make no sense to prevent the same prisoners from bringing a later suit if time and experience eventually showed that prisoners were dying from contaminated water. Such circumstances would give rise to a new claim that the prisoners’ treatment violates the Constitution.

Anyone else think this is slightly too coincidental given the news breaking last week of exactly that (arsenic-contaminated water) in a Texan prison and a District Court judge, at PI stage, requiring the provision of clean water?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

Nope, this is about a regulation of pharmacies in general, not individual pharmacists - the place was owned by one of the nutters.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Isn't there still the concern that the pharmacy is only going to hire pharmacists who won't dispense?

I'm still worried about the pharmacological equivalent of a sun-down town.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

torgeaux posted:

It would be a pretty ineffective rule if the pharmacy could just not stock the drugs they object to, wouldn't it? They have to deliver what is prescribed, absent it being some rare drug they can't be expected to carry.

In enforcement of this law, yes.

Nevvy Z posted:

Isn't there still the concern that the pharmacy is only going to hire pharmacists who won't dispense?

I'm still worried about the pharmacological equivalent of a sun-down town.

quote:

But because the Delivery Rule requires every pharmacy to dispense the medication, if a pharmacy wishes to employ a pharmacist who objects to dispensing a drug for religious reasons, the pharmacy must keep on duty at all times a second pharmacist who can dispense those drugs.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

Historically it was usually about contraceptives to unmarried women, is that even a thing anymore? (because it seems insane that it could still be.... but I can't say it would be suprising)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jarmak posted:

Historically it was usually about contraceptives to unmarried women, is that even a thing anymore? (because it seems insane that it could still be.... but I can't say it would be suprising)

Same thing, but now it's bullshit whining that they cause abortions, will go back to ~contraceptives are immoral~ if they succeed in that.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Anything that allows women or gay men to reduce the consequences of having sex are opposed for "religious reasons".

I mean, gently caress, there are people who would rather have women die of cervical cancer than give girls an HPV vaccine because they think the vaccine "encourages teenagers to have sex".

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Same thing, but now it's bullshit whining that they cause abortions, will go back to ~contraceptives are immoral~ if they succeed in that.

Oh no I get that, I was just adding a bit of trivia and wondering out-loud if there's anywhere so mind-numbingly backward that that old chestnut is still a contemporary controversy.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Jarmak posted:

If I remember correctly, the court cases went all contraceptives banned, contraceptives okay between married families(Griswald), contraceptives available for all (Eisenstaedt? Or something)

There's always another reason to punish sex

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Conservatism is the pathological fear that someone, somewhere is happy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought that was Puritanism.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jarmak posted:

It's very much still a thing. I've seen essays by women in socially-conservative areas saying that their pharmacists treated them with (loud, audible to the other people in line) contempt when they saw a BCP prescription with no wedding ring. There are also some Christian physicians who won't prescribe contraceptives to anybody; one I read about actually has a sign in the waiting room saying that his practice doesn't ever prescribe contraception, and if you don't like it, go elsewhere.

A vital issue here is that a lot of places are one-pharmacist towns, and "referring" to other pharmacies actually requires a substantial drive.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are absolutely religious conservatives who are opposed to contraception. See also: the Hobby Lobby case

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's not contraceptive but I took a girl to get plan b once and the pharmacist was rude and condescending. When we asked for it she said "oh honey," and and generally super snobby. You'd think in a college town it wouldn't be a big deal but.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It's not contraceptive but I took a girl to get plan b once and the pharmacist was rude and condescending. When we asked for it she said "oh honey," and and generally super snobby. You'd think in a college town it wouldn't be a big deal but.

Maybe the pharmacist thought you had unprotected sex and that such boning is stupid.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

EwokEntourage posted:

In enforcement of this law, yes.

Thanks I missed this important detail

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

If I remember correctly, the court cases went all contraceptives banned, contraceptives okay between married families(Griswald), contraceptives available for all (Eisenstaedt? Or something)

There's always another reason to punish sex

Well yes, I was specifically referring to the phenomenon of pharmacists refusing to fulfill (and many cases doctors refusing to give) prescriptions for birth control to unmarried women in conservatives areas.

like this:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's very much still a thing. I've seen essays by women in socially-conservative areas saying that their pharmacists treated them with (loud, audible to the other people in line) contempt when they saw a BCP prescription with no wedding ring. There are also some Christian physicians who won't prescribe contraceptives to anybody; one I read about actually has a sign in the waiting room saying that his practice doesn't ever prescribe contraception, and if you don't like it, go elsewhere.

A vital issue here is that a lot of places are one-pharmacist towns, and "referring" to other pharmacies actually requires a substantial drive.

Simultaneously blows my mind that this is still occurring in TYOOL 2016 yet at the same time... I'm not suprisied.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Just providing some back story for anyone who isn't as knowledge as the rest

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's sad how contraception is still something that we have to fight over.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

haveblue posted:

I thought that was Puritanism.

No, a Puritan would never wear a bowtie.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

patentmagus posted:

Maybe the pharmacist thought you had unprotected sex and that such boning is stupid.

:agreed: not so much for the pregnancy thing but if you're not wrapping up when hooking up you're playing russian roulette.

Off-chance comedy option of the pharmacist knowing the goon and saying "oh honey" because she knows he's been in there with like a half dozen women in the past three weeks and she'd filled his chlamydia script earlier that day.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's sad how contraception is still something that we have to fight over.

Ha, welcome to reality friend. Come play in the dirt with the rest of us.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

JohnCompany posted:

Anyone else think this is slightly too coincidental given the news breaking last week of exactly that (arsenic-contaminated water) in a Texan prison and a District Court judge, at PI stage, requiring the provision of clean water?

Of course loving Texas had to be sued into fixing this, and they're still planning on appealing it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I like that the judge told them they could have already fixed it if they had spent the money they've wasted so far on defending the lawsuit.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

I like that the judge told them they could have already fixed it if they had spent the money they've wasted so far on defending the lawsuit.

The article I saw attributed that to the inmates' attorney.
http://kwhi.com/inmates-win-suit-over-water-at-navasota-prison-unit/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FAUXTON posted:

:agreed: not so much for the pregnancy thing but if you're not wrapping up when hooking up you're playing russian roulette.
Because condoms never, ever break.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ulmont posted:

The article I saw attributed that to the inmates' attorney.
http://kwhi.com/inmates-win-suit-over-water-at-navasota-prison-unit/

Yeah he's thinking of the case from Angola where LA is defending their decision to not air condition death row. The judge literally pointed out that compliance would have cost less than court costs.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've bought plan B twice. The first time we were drunk and didn't use a condom. The second -this instance- the condom broke.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So the answer is to just not use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah he's thinking of the case from Angola where LA is defending their decision to not air condition death row. The judge literally pointed out that compliance would have cost less than court costs.

Holy poo poo, yeah. $1 million to fight the case versus $225,000 to install air conditioning.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/274b1f8c1fab498aabddb2a182ab4e86/ap-exclusive-1-million-spent-avoid-cooling-death-row