Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I thought it was Qixtar now, or rather has been for a while.

My parents were way the gently caress into Amway about 15 years ago (in Germany). They got super-committed, started hanging out with their higher-ups all the time. They tried to get me to commit to it, too.
Eventually they realized they'd never get a sustainable income that way and split from that organization and their 'sponsors'.
After that, close friends of mine here in the US got really into Qixtar for quite a few years. Eventually they slowed way down with the constant-in-your-face BS about it. They are still doing it, but to a far lesser extent and mostly just for personal use of the products. I think the appeal of Amway/Qixtar was supposed to be that you get nice quality product, but it usually ends up being more expensive AND being less convenient than just buying your poo poo from a store or Amazon.
Still other friends are peddling some beauty consultant bullshit on Facebook drat near constantly. They are in the "be your own boss!"/"Be an entrepreneur!" category very solidly. They are in their very early 20's, just married, with a kid, and live in the bible belt. Coincidence?

My inlaws also got into Amway/Qixtar a few years ago. Thankfully they lacked the focus and commitment to follow through for more than a couple of months. But I do recall that they invited us to their house one time for a presentation. We wanted to be polite and so we showed up. My father-in-law invited his elderly father, too - who showed up in a suit and with briefcase. We all got to listen to this 'sponsor' guy blab about opportunity and new marketplaces for an hour and then left. It was embarrassing, especially because I already knew what was up and what would eventually happen.

Without exception, all of them acted incredulous when turned down. "Why would you turn down this golden opportunity to be your own boss and be rich?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/MammonMachine/status/748289097672753152

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

What the hell am I looking at?

Envision
Dec 17, 2006
My mom was a member of Amway and only used it because they'd ship something like 200 pounds of dog food and gallons of laundry detergent to the house. My parents still have thousands of sandwich bags from them and their last order was in like 2002.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If you click through to the tweet that person has posted some screenshots of weird things Notch said on twitter.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Well it involves @notch, so that's enough social media idiocy right there.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Same, one of my friends has roped a couple others into nail art things, and a cousin is doing a lotion/skincare one. I've just made it a policy to never talk or comment on them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

One of my students tried to sell me some milshake powder that would replace my meals. I asked her if it was a pyramid scheme and she said no but I'm not sure.

Soylent? That stuff isn't a pyramid scheme, just a stupid thing made up by an efficiency maniac who thinks that the world could become a peaceful utopia as long as everyone gave up alternating current, real food, and washing clothes.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

chitoryu12 posted:

Soylent? That stuff isn't a pyramid scheme, just a stupid thing made up by an efficiency maniac who thinks that the world could become a peaceful utopia as long as everyone gave up alternating current, real food, and washing clothes.

Soylent Green is people.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

chitoryu12 posted:

Alternating Current like the electricity? What are the benefits of DC over AC?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
A physician I work with has spent the last 2 years trying to get me into Rodan and Fields. He's really doubled down the last 6 months or so. Took me and my husband to dinner and even gave me some of the products for my hands (they worked sure but I ain't got $200 for this poo poo). We finally got them to stop asking us to be involved but now he's at me to give him contacts in my home country (where they're "breaking into" next) and I can't seem to fob him off. I don't feel right volunteering people for something I'm not willing to do.....ughhhh I need to have a good rapport with this dude too. Annoying as gently caress.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

chitoryu12 posted:

Reminder that the Soylent guy is the person who, in an attempt to reduce his water consumption, killed the floral bacteria in his gut so he wouldn't poop

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh my lord

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
When I went to Vegas a couple weeks back, there was a giant Plexus convention. There must have been at least 60 people on my flight decked in out Plexus gear, but I didn't see my cute former co-worker who now spams my news feed with that stuff.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

When he says "getting off of AC" he means "living off the power grid". He doesn't call it living off the power grid because he is physically incapable of not talking about everything in the most baffling terms (public blogs count as idiots on social media, right? ...Right?)

quote:

I have not set foot in a grocery store in years. Nevermore will I bumble through endless confusing aisles like a pack-donkey searching for feed while the smell of rotting flesh fills my nostrils and fluorescent lights sear my eyeballs and sappy love songs torture my ears. Grocery shopping is a multisensory living nightmare. There are services that will make someone else do it for me but I cannot in good conscience force a fellow soul through this gauntlet.

I am blessed with nice weather, a nice view, and a full bookcase so see no need for a noisy, unsightly television, a black hole that living rooms arrange themselves around like an altar. I prefer to read, study, code, or go for a walk to one of several parks in my neighborhood. However I do enjoy movies

I never want to talk to this man, but I do want to talk to the people he's trapped into a conversation at parties.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
This is my favorite kind of iosm. No racism or misogyny etc. Just plain ole idiocy.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Project loving Runway, which is an at least marginally legitimate show if incredibly stupid on a lot of levels, had an entire Mary Kay makeup studio this season. And multi-thousand dollar Mary Kay prizes. And said the name Mary Kay like eighty times an episode. Let's go to the MARY KAY MAKEUP STUDIO, MARY KAY is such a great brand! Someone must have gotten suckered into that poo poo because there's no way Mary Kay offered of their own free will to give up a single penny.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

modern technology means that HV-DC links can be more efficient than HV-AC for transmission, and some people think we should switch over. Having seen the support structures for the HV-DC link in New Zealand I can't imagine it would be cost effective compared to the giant transformers + switchyards used for AC. On top of that, it's much more difficult to break a DC fault, since the current is constant, while AC falls to zero twice a cycle

edit: or not I guess

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Electric Lady posted:

Reminder that the Soylent guy is the person who, in an attempt to reduce his water consumption, killed the floral bacteria in his gut so he wouldn't poop

He's so dedicated to efficiency that he even wants to get colon cancer as quickly as possible with the least effort.

Also: we poo poo out our old blood cells. That's why poo poo is brown. Where are his blood cells going? :stare:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

He's so dedicated to efficiency that he even wants to get colon cancer as quickly as possible with the least effort.

Also: we poo poo out our old blood cells. That's why poo poo is brown. Where are his blood cells going? :stare:

Is that why poo poo is brown? I thought it was just bacteria since if you get food poisoning sometimes your poop turns a light color for a while.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Mak0rz posted:

Also, if you don't poop, it'll come out the other end. :ohdear: I enjoy the tastes and sensations of eating - especially since I started trying mindful eating exercises.

quote:

Brown is the normal color of poop. There is a pigment called bilirubin that is formed when the red blood cells in the liver and bone marrow break down. This ends up (by a complicated process) in the intestines where bacteria begins to form and eat which turns the poop brown.

You are correct! And this cannot end well for him. And here is my source link: http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/kelly-building-a-crohns-disease-community/the-colors-of-your-poop-and-what-it-means/ Find out about all colors of poops!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dijon du jour posted:

When he says "getting off of AC" he means "living off the power grid". He doesn't call it living off the power grid because he is physically incapable of not talking about everything in the most baffling terms (public blogs count as idiots on social media, right? ...Right?)

I never want to talk to this man, but I do want to talk to the people he's trapped into a conversation at parties.

Reading anything by this guy is just bizarre and wonderful.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Fitmoms are hilarious. It's the perfect mix of bored suburban mom and mlm. There's one on my fb that pesters me and my fiance every now and then. It's funny because she knows I lost a gently caress ton of weight the correct, non-mlm way.

Bonus points for the cutesy pictures she posts of her brood. One was even a cuted up picture of her newish/still ugly baby and the food she ate to stop the colic.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

dijon du jour posted:

I remember reading this article/blog post a few months ago. That guy sure is sitting on a pretty high horse to claim off-the-grid living and how energy-efficient he is - by ordering his clothes from China, wearing them for a few days, and then throwing them out because the next set arrived. See, he doesn't need to do laundry this way and that means he's not wasting water and precious "AC".

I don't understand that thought process. He's so close, but never there.

edit: I just remembered another thing that irked me (more than the rest) about his drivel. He uses a low-power NUC at home so he can run it off his PV panels. But what about the times when he needs more power?

quote:

When I want some real computing power I SSH or RDP in to an EC2 instance and have all the power I need.

Clever. Look at me, outsourcing my very real power consumption to the office and being all off the grid!

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Jun 30, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmmyOk posted:

I asked her if it was a pyramid scheme and she said no but I'm not sure.

No one who's involved in one of these things will ever say yes to this question, because everyone knows pyramid schemes are bad, so they either have to fool themselves to get involved in it, or be OK with lying to trick others into getting involved.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm not reading 5000 words of rambling, how does he justify flying clothes in from China as being "efficient"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

At least three idiots on my fb feed have bought into that Thrive patch bullshit. Everyday, at least twice a day, I see them pandering for support. I have other friends who do Scentsy, Jamberry, and for a short time, that Wrap thing (which is all it was called). All of them are middle class white chicks who are either a stay at home mom or working a lovely dead end job at some soul crushing suburban place.

With the exception of the one Scensty rep who makes like 52k a year as a higher up manager type for a chain restaurant.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Aerofallosov posted:

Also, if you don't poop, it'll come out the other end. :ohdear: I enjoy the tastes and sensations of eating - especially since I started trying mindful eating exercises.

You are correct! And this cannot end well for him. And here is my source link: http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/kelly-building-a-crohns-disease-community/the-colors-of-your-poop-and-what-it-means/ Find out about all colors of poops!

Maybe it'll end up like Gilbert's Syndrome where the liver doesn't produce a particular enzyme needed and people with it often end up jaundice because of excess bilirubin in the bloodstream.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Isn't soylent also contaminated with mold and heavy metals?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

zakharov posted:

I'm not reading 5000 words of rambling, how does he justify flying clothes in from China as being "efficient"

He misunderstands cheap and efficient.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Atticus_1354 posted:

He misunderstands cheap and efficient.

He also misunderstands "his electricity bill" for "his electricity impact". For example, he states that instead of cooking he eats Soylent and frequently eats out at restaurants, and instead of having a car to get to those restaurants he uses Uber. However, the energy expenditures of those restaurants and that Uber car don't factor into his calculations for unexplained reasons.

That seems like a fairly large oversight when his stated dream is that grocery stores will no longer exist and EVERYONE will just eat out at restaurants and choke down Soylent all the time.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So, apparently there's been a Heterosexual Pride Day hashtag? Well, someone on my wall has something to say about this.

Bonus round!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He's not wrong on anything there tbh

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's like the same people who hate Milo Yiannopoulos so much are, coincidentally, the ones who don't get he's deliberately stirring poo poo up and are just giving him exactly what he wants.

and google recognises me typing his name as mil yillNPOLOUA :iiam:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

poptart_fairy posted:

It's like the same people who hate Milo Yiannopoulos so much are, coincidentally, the ones who don't get he's deliberately stirring poo poo up and are just giving him exactly what he wants.

and google recognises me typing his name as mil yillNPOLOUA :iiam:

The White middle class is those White men who have enough on the ball to be able to reproduce. These are the backbone of White civilization. White middle class values include self-reliance, thrift, chastity, and signaling reliability and comfort by loudly proclaiming support for policies that undermine these values.

Reliability is signaled by proudly reciting the most absurd official belief of the day, e.g. “Caitlyn Jenner is a brave woman”. Comfort is signaled by calling for the genocide of the White race.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

PhazonLink posted:

Isn't soylent also contaminated with mold and heavy metals?

That's par for most libertarian types.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This is the most privileged complaint about cops there can possibly be, right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you're not getting enough political arguments on your feeds, check out the comments here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPEpYdRJeqM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
There was a lady at my old work who had a friend that was into Jamberry and I guess she was helping her friend out by organizing little demo parties with her. She asked me to come to one and I made some throw away excuse not to go and she got PISSED. She was visibly annoyed with me, and tried to explain to me what it was and how great the wraps looked. I told her that I don't keep my nails manicured because I was, at the time, in culinary school and you would have to sit out of practical lessons and get counted absent if you had poo poo on your nails. She told me I could take it off and/or maybe I wanted to pick some up for my friends or family. I'm not into throwing money down the toilet so I firmly and politely told her no thank you and went back to work. She then went around and told other girls at work what I had done, how rude and unsupportive I was being of her and her friend who I had never met. It was an incredibly satisfying day and I would do it the same all over again if I had the chance. gently caress you, Terra you gross weirdo!

Anyway content. All of these were added within the past year by an old high school acquaintance:

loving Darwin lovers can't have sticker families!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Psalms 23