Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Late, but the best Sentai Watching Order is

Kyoryuger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Akibaranger, Go-Busters

This. If you want to check out older Sentai I would also reccomend Carranger, Megaranger, Gingaman, Magiranger (I thought Boukenger and Gekiranger were pretty good too but unfortunatly nobody's subbed them except TV-Nihon, Timeranger is also pretty good but Over-Time hasn't finished subbing it yet and the only other subs available are guess subs based on episode summaries and a limited understanding of Japanese) and, if you want to go really far back, Bioman and Changeman.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Everyone should watch Magiranger because it's cool and good and has a great family aspect to it.

It also has the best sixth ranger, who has a magical train and a genie in a magic lamp (which turns into a gun) and he also has top tier fashion sense.

...I think I'm going to start a re-watch of Magiranger tonight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Who do I have to pay to get my youkai themed sentai where the sixth ranger is a possessed umbrella that turns into a dude when he transforms to happen? Probably not so soon after Nin2, huh?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

This. If you want to check out older Sentai I would also reccomend Carranger, Megaranger, Gingaman, Magiranger (I thought Boukenger and Gekiranger were pretty good too but unfortunatly nobody's subbed them except TV-Nihon, Timeranger is also pretty good but Over-Time hasn't finished subbing it yet and the only other subs available are guess subs based on episode summaries and a limited understanding of Japanese) and, if you want to go really far back, Bioman and Changeman.

Because some one else brought it up first

gently caress yes Bioman.

It's the first Sentai to take itself entirely seriously and it is a pretty fantastic show if all you want from a kids show is dumb action for 20 minutes.

It also has a super strong cast of villains and all of the MOTW are giant robits.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Waffleman_ posted:

Who do I have to pay to get my youkai themed sentai where the sixth ranger is a possessed umbrella that turns into a dude when he transforms to happen? Probably not so soon after Nin2, huh?

I want Kaibutsu Sentai Yokaiger so loving bad you have no idea.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mikeycp posted:

I want Kaibutsu Sentai Yokaiger so loving bad you have no idea.

Fuckin'....

Oni Red
Tengu Blue
Tanuki Green
Kitsune Yellow
Bakeneko Pink
Obake Gold

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Aren't yokai a little evil for sentai? Like they aren't ALL evil but some of the more popular ones might be a little too evil - associated to be sentai, which are usually squarely on the good side. Hibiki's connection to the "power of evil used for good" theme of kamen rider was how the riders looked like oni, for instance.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yokai are the big thing now, what with the Yokai Watch. It's chasing the zeitgeist!

Also, yokai are basically monsters and it's not like there isn't a bunch of kids' media in America about monsters.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Waffleman_ posted:

Fuckin'....

Oni Red
Tengu Blue
Tanuki Green
Kitsune Yellow
Bakeneko Pink
Obake Gold

Dude. Kappa Green.

Acne Rain posted:

Aren't yokai a little evil for sentai? Like they aren't ALL evil but some of the more popular ones might be a little too evil - associated to be sentai, which are usually squarely on the good side. Hibiki's connection to the "power of evil used for good" theme of kamen rider was how the riders looked like oni, for instance.

Nah. Go read Kitaro or watch Great Yokai War. Yokai can be fine and good. And it's not like they couldn't write around why these are the good ones fairly easily.

"Yokai used to be good but have turned to evil in order to survive in a modern world. These are the last of the Five Great Yokai Families. They are the Yokaiger."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mikeycp posted:

Dude. Kappa Green.

gently caress. KAPPA.

Tanuki can be an extra ranger along with a yuki-onna.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Idk, they might have to let a little time pass anyway since ninninger had yokai villains anyway.
There were expectations that ninnin would do this for the "yokai watch is popular" reasons, because magiranger had a lot of potter elements when that was going strong, gokaiger was similar with one piece, and now zyuohger's mechs are cubes with pixellated detailing when minecraft is pretty popular.

(I did actually like ninninger's bold move to not give a poo poo about having a theme/make up that it was "cool japan" afterwards when it was just "who needs a theme, let's just have fun" but it seemed to have left many confused, too bad it wasn't a better show)

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress. KAPPA.

yeah kappa would be there but

quote:

As water monsters, kappa have been blamed for drownings, and are often said to try to lure people into water and pull them in with their great skill at wrestling.[9] They are sometimes said to take their victims for the purpose of drinking their blood, eating their livers, or gaining power by taking their shirikodama (尻子玉?), a mythical ball said to contain the soul, which is located inside the anus.[9][17][18][19] Even today, signs warning about kappa appear by bodies of water in some Japanese towns and villages.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress. KAPPA.

Kappa own. Also they should just do a ton of rangers like Kyoryuger so everyone can get the yokai they want.

Acne Rain posted:

yeah kappa would be there but

Kappa are also frequently depicted as cute and lovable and good though, especially nowadays. Plus that would totally fit in with there being bad yokai out there that the Yokaiger need to stop.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yuki-onna is clearly white.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I would also make the tengu black, because karasutengu.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm watching Liveman, one episode a day, and enjoying it. It's still from roughly the same period production-wise as the earliest Rangers footage, so I don't feel like somebody opened a time vault the way I would with Sun Vulcan or something. Suffice it to say the production values are decent enough for someone who has never seen footage older than Zyuranger.

The personal element in the story setup, that the team's friends joined the alien overlord to destroy the world rather than help it, and they obviously kill two would-be members of the team on their way out of there, has made it interesting.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Acne Rain posted:

zyuohger's mechs are cubes with pixellated detailing when minecraft is pretty popular.

i wanna say zyuohuger's more of a rubix cube than minecraft i'm pretty sure rubix cubes were getting big in japan again but i'm not sure

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I finished Liveman earlier this year and agree with you on everything aside from the look of the suits and mechs. They aren't bad but everything from before Zyu looks like it was from a different era to me. The suits and mechs definitely have their flaws. I say the same about the ascetics of everything that came before Gaoranger too, but in a good way.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The suits seemed okay. I kind of like how they designed the skirt on LiveBlue more than many series female costumes.

The robot, or at least the starting one since I've watched four episodes, is a little less shiny and awesome than what I've been accustomed to in the early PR generations, but the cockpit set is relatively the same. I tried watching bits and segments of Bioman before settling on Liveman and the mech stuff in that one feels closer to BattleFeverJ or something.

I have less and less affinity for stuff from Gaoranger onward. CGI mechs remove some of my fun, the boys frequently look like Host Club boys and ditto for idol competitions and the ladies, and maybe it's just me but it seems like it's becoming less risky and scary and more goofy. I can only really handle excessively goofy stuff if it's got tonal whiplash with the scary stuff. Like Abaranger had a guy gushing blood on the beach and dying, and then immediately after had dinosaur hand puppets paying tribute to him. That's such a weird tone shift that I can just sort of accept it if only because I don't know how to react.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I largely don't care about mechas. They're almost always just a thing that happens after the story has actually concluded, and usually the fights are very clunky and boring compared to ground fights. After a certain point where I see how they are going to go every drat time I just skip them unless it has something like Gekiranger's narration fun or its go-busters.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 30, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Acne Rain posted:

I largely don't care about mechas. They're almost always just a thing that happens after the story has actually concluded, and usually the fights are very clunky and boring compared to ground fights. After a certain point where I see how they are going to go every drat time I just skip them unless it has something like Gekiranger's narration fun or its go-busters.
At some point I just kept watching the robot fights because I didn't want the suffering of the poor bastards who have to wear those loving monstrosities to be in vain.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

At some point I just kept watching the robot fights because I didn't want the suffering of the poor bastards who have to wear those loving monstrosities to be in vain.

That suit actor's a real trooper.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Samurai Haoh is cool as hell and I want that kind of insanity to happen more often.

It's also a surprisingly good design for such a clusterfuck of mecha.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Someone find me a photo of EngineOh G12 next to Ultimate DaiBouken

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I have Wild Tousai King in hand now and wow it so much bigger and wider then I thought it would be.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Sounds like a good time.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Got around to finishing amazons

I'd say that it's fine that Haruka ended up where he did but I really cannot buy the extermination team's actions and side of things. They were supposed to be the human element here, and there is no reason for them to take any amazons side. Especially after losing what they did.

I still think the series was great up to the end of the apartment complex battle, and I am interested in season 2, but I after that arc it starts to get an uncomfortable angel season 3 and 4 feeling for me, where an irredeemable character and no human race is sided with to the point of dehumanizing humans.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

Got around to finishing amazons

I'd say that it's fine that Haruka ended up where he did but I really cannot buy the extermination team's actions and side of things. They were supposed to be the human element here, and there is no reason for them to take any amazons side. Especially after losing what they did.

I still think the series was great up to the end of the apartment complex battle, and I am interested in season 2, but I after that arc it starts to get an uncomfortable angel season 3 and 4 feeling for me, where an irredeemable character and no human race is sided with to the point of dehumanizing humans.

The really sad thing is, The Amazons do have to be wiped out because they were designed to basically have rabies.

Even if it's not what they want, once they fully awaken they go insane and need to devour people. We see this very, very clearly with Moleman.

Just Jin takes it too far in the other direction while Haruka is blind to this reality. Haruka is, presumably, safe from wanting to devour humans due to his unique creation, and Jin was human first and foremost, but any regular Amazon is doomed by their very creation.

It's no wonder Jin wants to wipe them out since he feels guilty for their situation and all of the lives lost to their tragedy.

And we know who the true villain is. I'm seriously wondering if the Director is some iteration of the Great Leader or an update on the idea of the Ten Faced Demon, because he planned this all from the start for some twisted goal.

Season 2 we hopefully see Jin start to value his own life more and Haruka come to realize that Amazons can never co-inhabit the world of humanity.

I did get a kick out of how much of a loving boogeyman Jin is to Amazon kind now though

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

And we know who the true villain is. I'm seriously wondering if the Director is some iteration of the Great Leader or an update on the idea of the Ten Faced Demon, because he planned this all from the start for some twisted goal.

Yeah, he gave me a big Dr. Shinigami vibe when he first appeared over teleconference at that meeting.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Acne Rain posted:

I really cannot buy the extermination team's actions and side of things. They were supposed to be the human element here, and there is no reason for them to take any amazons side. Especially after losing what they did.

People have a hard time putting down their own dog after it kills someone, now imagine that dog can talk and acts like a cute baby and only ate someone's arm from the elbow down

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for Zyuohger 20. Misao's Zyumen are hilarious and I hope they keep popping up every so often. Misao himself is adorable though they do seem to be exaggerating his guilt a bit for comedy purposes (hopefully that won't become his shtick for the rest of the series though as that could get annoying real fast).

Also apparently Amazons is getting/has gotten a TV release as well, complete with a new opening:

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1195677553811020&id=244943805551071&_rdr

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 4, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Garo Makai Tales ended the best possible way it could have.

The two worst Priestesses team up across space and time to fight one of the best villains.

And then comes the arrival of Kouga who just clowns the fucker and doesn't even bother to kill him while transformed because seriously, he is Garo, gently caress you. I kinda hope they implied a movie or some such with Kouga to finish off his story once and for all, but we'll see down the line.

I am incredibly curious what the next Garo series will be that they mentioned at the end.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I stopped watching Makai Tales after a string of episodes about Ryuga-series characters I couldn't care less about. Should I watch the rest? If so, which episodes? I like the original and Raiga casts but god I don't give a poo poo about the Gold Storm people, I can't even remember most of these or I just flat-out don't know them, as evidenced by the fact that I kept calling the big bad of Gold Storm "Tsukasa" the whole episode because at least I remember the Destroyer of Worlds.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

I stopped watching Makai Tales after a string of episodes about Ryuga-series characters I couldn't care less about. Should I watch the rest? If so, which episodes? I like the original and Raiga casts but god I don't give a poo poo about the Gold Storm people, I can't even remember most of these or I just flat-out don't know them, as evidenced by the fact that I kept calling the big bad of Gold Storm "Tsukasa" the whole episode because at least I remember the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'd suggest finding an episode guide and seeing what episodes appeal to you, as it's an anthology show that doesn't have any real continuity between episodes.

Definitely check out the last episode though. Rian is there, and her trait of being Literally Useless remains, but it's a wonderful episode for other reasons.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So, it took us 20 episodes to get to an episode that was not "good." I guess that's a pretty admirable thing in and of itself. He seems like a total repeat of Uchhy, who I also was not a big fan of.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Who has the best Agito subs? My friend and I finished up Kuuga and she wants to move on to Agito.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GomenRider. Avoid Cruel Angel.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 5, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Motto posted:

GomenRider. Avoid Cruel Angel.

Thank you.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

So, it took us 20 episodes to get to an episode that was not "good." I guess that's a pretty admirable thing in and of itself. He seems like a total repeat of Uchhy, who I also was not a big fan of.

With a little bit of Shirogane(GaoSilver) and Akira thrown in, yes. Hopefully he'll get better as time goes on and this won't be his gimmick for the season.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I hope we see more of his 3 Zyuman delusions. Maybe he'll go through an arc where they all come around and be like consistently supportive. I bet they'll do a thing where he gets like life-changing advice from one of them per episode for 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is Kuuga the place to start if I've never had any experience with Kamen Rider and don't mind a show being more than five years old? I'm told that the idea of a "modern" series started there, and I know from the Sega CD game somebody made out of ZO that there's a lot of old crusty production jank in the older stuff. But at the same time I have a tendency to think "these first installments must be great if they launched an ongoing series" and then find out that no, the sequels were far better received.

• Locked thread