Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Just re watched "rivals". Pretty funny episode, but also very corny. The Simon says gambling devices were lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Just saw Enterprise episode with the Borg. A beautiful exercise in completely ignoring continuity Star Trek.

What I liked about ENT was is they made a good effort jettisoning the Voyager episodic single stories. ENT would have two or there episode arcs, much like Dr. Who. It was a refreshing way to stretch out plot.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Aaronicon posted:

Being a robot, I guess you could argue that Data is technically some kind of elaborate masturbation prosthesis in that scenario.

What's up with that DS9 scene where it opens with Odo and the Lady (?) changeling sitting facing away from each other on opposite sides of a bed? He later claims to have had a kind of sexual experience and I assume that was it. The even greater link.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
voyager!? barely knew her!!

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

The Sphinxster posted:

What's up with that DS9 scene where it opens with Odo and the Lady (?) changeling sitting facing away from each other on opposite sides of a bed? He later claims to have had a kind of sexual experience and I assume that was it. The even greater link.

That was in the episode Favor the Bold, and it was quite the opposite. They had vanilla, solid-style sex because the female changeling was curious.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

plushpuffin posted:

That was in the episode Favor the Bold, and it was quite the opposite. They had vanilla, solid-style sex because the female changeling was curious.

There's gotta be some extra tingle.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Automatic Slim posted:

Just saw Enterprise episode with the Borg. A beautiful exercise in completely ignoring continuity Star Trek.

I'm not saying it isn't stupid, but how did it ignore continuity?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

In TNG nobody heard of the Borg before. They alluded to them in season one and they made their appearance e in season 2.

They're the central plot in First Contact, but their interaction with 21st humans is minimal.

That goes to poo poo in the ENT episode. Frozen Borg are found on earth and start assimilating humans and everybody else, even Phlox. Starfleet has a record of them and even though they have no context of what they are, you'd think someone in the 24th century would've thought " Hey we've seen this before."

It's just sloppy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Eh, I guess. They did the same with the Ferengi as I recall.

Didn't Voyager do the same thing with Seven's parents researching the Borg and talking to Starfleet about it? Must have been a decade before TNG's time.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Well they went out of their way to make sure the word Ferengi never came up in that episode. The Borg episode was different. I guess they were trying to explain why the Borg seemed so obsessed with the Federation, a low-tech collection of planets on the other side of the galaxy from the Borg. According to the episode it's because Future-Borg contacted 22nd Century Borg and told them "These fuckers need to go" so that's why.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
I'm guessing that they explained both of those early Borg encounters as classified by Federation intelligence or Section 31. Because, of course, the best way to defend against an almost unstoppable enemy is to keep their very existence a secret for as long as possible.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Automatic Slim posted:

That goes to poo poo in the ENT episode. Frozen Borg are found on earth and start assimilating humans and everybody else, even Phlox. Starfleet has a record of them and even though they have no context of what they are, you'd think someone in the 24th century would've thought " Hey we've seen this before."

It's just sloppy.

Not only that, but it was an interplanetary incident that involved the Tarkaleans as their freighter was attacked by the converted transport, so you have at least one other alien race that's had first hand experience with the Borg, and an entire wrecked freighter, the scans that Phlox took.. Plus there's the two converted Tarkaleans that Archer so callously ejected, they're probably still in space waiting for another ship to get close enough to grab..

If there was a Section 31 then, they would have amnesia'ed the entire crew, thrown the Tarkalean freighter into a nearby sun, and captured the ejected Borg for experimentation.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

There was a proto Sct. 31 on ENT. It was apart of Reed's dark and secretive past.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Automatic Slim posted:

In TNG nobody heard of the Borg before. They alluded to them in season one and they made their appearance e in season 2.

They're the central plot in First Contact, but their interaction with 21st humans is minimal.

It's just sloppy.

it is made extremely clear, in that episode, that enterprise is set in the alternate time line created by the events of the film First Contact

it is that timeline that spawns the Kelvin (JJTrek) timeline (also all the other moves after fc)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

worf brought a sports almanac back to the 21st century to try and gamble up enough enough money to fund his own captain worf show but he lost it and jj abrams found it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

yo lemme hold your lute for a minute

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Season 2 of TOS, "By Any Other Name". Enterprise encounters aliens that modifies its engines to reach Warp 11. Nobody turns into a lizard but most of the crew get turned into powdery 20 sided dice.

chaosbreather posted:

it is made extremely clear, in that episode, that enterprise is set in the alternate time line created by the events of the film First Contact

it is that timeline that spawns the Kelvin (JJTrek) timeline (also all the other moves after fc)

What.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

It is also made extremely clear that Enterprise is a precursor to TOS and TNG, not an alternate history. The last episode in particular shows that everything that happened on Enterprise gave rise to TNG, and the ominous closing lines of the Borg episode indicate that the message sent to the Delta quadrant will take ~200 years to arrive, which is clearly an attempt to explain the revelation that the Borg were already traveling toward Federation space when Q forced an introduction. The discovery of the Borg in Enterprise begins/ends a causal loop which ends/begins with First Contact. Star Trek is very fond of causal loops and the concept of the timeline having an inertia that can be put right even if a few details are changed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Automatic Slim posted:

Season 2 of TOS, "By Any Other Name". Enterprise encounters aliens that modifies its engines to reach Warp 11. Nobody turns into a lizard but most of the crew get turned into powdery 20 sided dice.
I think that there's a "warp recalibration" sometime after TOS to explain how newer ships can be faster while saying Warp 8.

But then you get dumb poo poo like "this Federation prototype achieves Warp 9.953!!"

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

plushpuffin posted:

It is also made extremely clear that Enterprise is a precursor to TOS and TNG, not an alternate history. The last episode in particular shows that everything that happened on Enterprise gave rise to TNG, and the ominous closing lines of the Borg episode indicate that the message sent to the Delta quadrant will take ~200 years to arrive, which is clearly an attempt to explain the revelation that the Borg were already traveling toward Federation space when Q forced an introduction. The discovery of the Borg in Enterprise begins/ends a causal loop which ends/begins with First Contact. Star Trek is very fond of causal loops and the concept of the timeline having an inertia that can be put right even if a few details are changed.

Lol somebody failed temporal mechanics, noob.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I think that there's a "warp recalibration" sometime after TOS to explain how newer ships can be faster while saying Warp 8.

But then you get dumb poo poo like "this Federation prototype achieves Warp 9.953!!"

I'm either remembering this or my mind is inventing fresh bullshit, but I think the official explanation was that in the old scale, speed was light speed times square of warp factor; and on TNG scale, warp 1 was C and warp 10 was infinite speed, and you should draw the log curve or whatever out yourself if you wanted more detail.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

So when you go beyond infinite speed (dumb) like in Voyager you get turned into a lizard (dumb).

I like the old way better.

Impulse is also light or faster than light speed. It takes about 30 minutes from earth to the boundaries of the solar system.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 30, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Turns out it's actually more detailed and less useful a scale than I remembered.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Can't they just use miles per hour I know it'll take longer to say but it will always sound impressive

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Just like the rules of how transporters work, how fast warp/impulse is has multiple official explanations, which are contradicted from episode to episode, and just boils down to 'whatever we need for today's plot'.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This is the future, and that's super fast. Space miles per hour, or GigaMiles/hour.

Also, this this the future, it would kilometers. Gigakilometers.

edit:

quote:

Enterprise, set in 2151 and onwards, follows the voyages of the first human ship capable of traveling at warp factor 5.2, which under the old warp table formula, is about 140 times the speed of light. In the episode, "Broken Bow", which is the series' pilot episode, Capt. Archer equates warp 4.5 to "Neptune and back [from Earth] in six minutes." There are two reasons why this is not in conflict with statements in previously-aired Star Trek series, set after the time of Enterprise, which declare that use of warp drive within a solar system presents extreme danger to both ship and surrounding planets. First, Archer was simply mentioning familiar landmarks as a way to comprehend how much faster his new ship was than any Earth vessel which had come before. Second, those future cautions were uttered in an era of hundredfold greater traffic concentrated around major spaceports. Flying randomly at high speed a mile above Manhattan is frowned upon today; in 1916, no one would have been close enough to notice.
What the gently caress does this have to do with anything?

The General fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 30, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Measure space engine power in Worf factors, which are like horsepower except instead of horses, it's Worfs.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
No, they should use Parsecs, named after the famed 22nd century scientist who helped advance warp drives, Dr. Melina Parsec

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mr Woof, Worf factor 7.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Distance should be measured in pixels, and time distortion in FPS.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Awkwardness and Creepiness are both measured in Geordis

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
:awesomelon: Captain, at its present rate of speed, I estimate the object will be over 3.26 Kessels away.

:wtc: Permission to take personal leave, Jean Luc. I'm, uh, experiencing 3 TerraYarr's of horny.

:captainpop: RED ALERT!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 30, 2016

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Tasha Yar is not hot. She looks like my lesbo aunt Linda what got the retarded kid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Her sister though :captainpop:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That trailer park Linda Hamilton?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Besides, you think you're ever gonna get the girls from Planet Rape to cum? No loving way.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This doesn't does loop :)

That said, this always makes me laugh.

Edit: It loops now, but didn't before. I dunno what the deal was.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yep, forgot to turn loop on when I first did it. Fixed.

For your pleasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

That's the scene where she goes off on how civilized the Federation is for not enslaving animals to be eaten. Amazing how smug someone can get when they live in a post scarcity society with matter replication.