Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I'd take regen over a single resist most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would value it about as much if I didn't have the resist, more if I didn't. But it's only +1-a resist and +4 AC is quite valuable to me, and +3 slaying by itself isn't enough to outweigh it in my mind if I can't stack on more slaying gear.

Space Cob posted:

I'm looking at the costs to level up my magic and feel pretty stupid I haven't looked into it. I'll skim the books I have and see what I can find. Animate Dead and Regeneration seem worth it alone.
Is spectral weapon in your game? I can't emphasize it enough on a short blades dude, it is part hexes so it synergizes with those and it's just great for killing things, especially since it lets you get distraction stabs. Of course, so do summons.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 30, 2016

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

IronicDongz posted:

Is spectral weapon in your game? I can't emphasize it enough on a short blades dude, it is part hexes so it synergizes with those and it's just great for killing things, especially since it lets you get distraction stabs. Of course, so do summons.

It isn't :(

I have never fiddled with summons. I never thought of using those for distraction stabs. I'll experiment with Animate Dead and see how that works.

edit: Okawaru keeps it coming

code:
the +2 chain mail "Zismustre" {MR+ Int+5 Dex-2 Slay+2}
that would be +4 AC from the ring mail, only lose one slaying point and the regen. I'm not sure how much that Dex-2 matters. Ugggh I'm bad with these decisions.

Space Cob fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 30, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
+2 is again not very good, if you're gonna use mail you should use a normal one with an ego that you can enchant up to +8. But the higher encumbrance will make spellcasting harder either way.

Summons are really really good, for damage, for distractions, for saving HP because enemies hit them instead of you, and for escapes sometimes. Mana vipers have antimagic so they're great against basically all casting enemies.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Space Cob posted:

It isn't :(

I have never fiddled with summons. I never thought of using those for distraction stabs. I'll experiment with Animate Dead and see how that works.

edit: Okawaru keeps it coming

code:
the +2 chain mail "Zismustre" {MR+ Int+5 Dex-2 Slay+2}
that would be +4 AC from the ring mail, only lose one slaying point and the regen. I'm not sure how much that Dex-2 matters. Ugggh I'm bad with these decisions.

I'm sure the CPA is a lot better than any of this junk, but it would make spellcasting quite a nuisance at your low str.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

quote:

rMut/malmutate stuff

Well, I guess that answers whether I should talk about it or not, that was.. pretty sad and discouraging.

Though I have to say Floodkiller's post is a good summary of the current experience:

Floodkiller posted:

If the mutation system is a good mechanic, why is it discouraged from existing once you go past 3 runes? Unless you use one of the still existing mechanics to make yourself immune to future bad muts, it makes more sense to slowly purge your character to mundane once you pick up any bad mutation that your character would be moderately annoyed by, never to attempt to get any more positive mutations in order to ration your cMut potions for maximum effect.

I agree that removing binary/swap resistances is good for the game. I agree that the mechanic of messing with a player's character in a permanent manner is interesting, but only if done seldomly (I like orbs of fire, shining eyes, and Mnoleg having Malmutate, as they all either fit a theme or serve to give you an extra challenge before the end). I even like having to play around bad mutations at times, usually with the carrot on a stick of attempting to keep another mutation I really like. However, once the player hits the Malmutate Zone that is Extended minus Tomb, the mutation system might as well not exist due to the annoyance of constantly dealing with the negative aspects and never really seeing the positive or interesting parts again leading to players just rationing their !cMut potions to ignore it.

Here's an extreme proposal if the mutation system is something that should stick around and stay interesting all game: remove !cMut entirely for Trunk, without any other changes. Force it to actually matter for all players who don't specifically build or take options to ignore or modify it (Zin, Jiyva, undead/Necromut, etc.). I would be interested in seeing if the playerbase is still mostly fine with this, and if it really is just SA (and myself) being overly opposed to the current implementation of the (mal/)mutation system.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

IronicDongz posted:

Summons are really really good, for damage, for distractions, for saving HP because enemies hit them instead of you, and for escapes sometimes.

I used Animate Dead in Vaults:5 to great effect. I got more powerful stabs than I expected. Thanks for the tip. I never thought of summons that way.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
dpeg is one person with one person's opinions. i respect & value his insights greatly but please do not think that he is the sole determiner of what is or is not in the game.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Haifisch posted:

Having recently won an AE, I have to say that static discharge is amazing if you luck into early relec. You're basically a mini-Nikola. It doesn't seem to check EV either, which makes it a nice counterpoint to the other, horribly inaccurate electrical spells. Airstrike is also not-terrible if you keep investing in air magic(elevated to Good if you combo it with Tornado and remember to use it on naturally-flying enemies), but most characters don't have any reason to do so unless they get said early relec. Shock and Lightning Bolt got a bit better with autoaim always trying to multizap, since it'll do a lot of weird angles you probably didn't think of yourself.

Most of the late game spells aren't actually all that great, though. Chain lightning is good for the same reason static discharge is, but you're likely to have a lot more spells competing for slots by then. Conjure Ball Lightning is finnicky and weird, and I'm still not sure what the use case for it is supposed to be. Tornado is good, but it's a huge air investment that's generally not helping any of your other spells(they'll either be getting diminishing power returns by the time Tornado's castable, or not Air spells). The huge gap in usability between your startbook and Tornado is glaring, and the real reason you're going to focus away from Air Magic in the mid/lategame. Cloud spells are good, but you'll generally get more milage out of focusing on the conjurations+non-air school they need.

I'll admit that I was somewhat hyperbolic and that static discharge is actually very good, but I do feel like it falls off hard once you get to lair and lightning bolt definitely doesn't pick up the slack.

The use case scenario for CBL is when you want to deal the damage of a level 9 spell with a level 6 spell, but with the drawback that it's entirely resistable, uncontrollable and likely to damage you as well. But you can be casting it in lair and one cast will ruin just about anyone's day. It's also the most hilarious spell to build a spellforged servitor around. It does have some really finicky aspects, however, like becoming useless if there are a lot of plants around and the balls being popped by enemy ranged attacks.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Lots of advice about spell choice for newbs like me

Wow, thanks for this very good post! It's much appreciated. Shame it got lost in the entrails of dpeg's little tantrum.

As a player who barely ever wins, the whole malmut discussion is more academic. The few times I actually got to the position to be malmut, I barely noticed in the excitement of it all.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Suggesting that smarter play will let you avoid malmut is slightly less absurd than suggesting smart play will let you never get poisoned. You can reduce the odds but they never hit zero.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I'll admit that I was somewhat hyperbolic and that static discharge is actually very good, but I do feel like it falls off hard once you get to lair and lightning bolt definitely doesn't pick up the slack.

The use case scenario for CBL is when you want to deal the damage of a level 9 spell with a level 6 spell, but with the drawback that it's entirely resistable, uncontrollable and likely to damage you as well. But you can be casting it in lair and one cast will ruin just about anyone's day. It's also the most hilarious spell to build a spellforged servitor around. It does have some really finicky aspects, however, like becoming useless if there are a lot of plants around and the balls being popped by enemy ranged attacks.

Static never missing and dealing pretty good damage makes it great for finishing off enemies that reach you after shock spam. It has the CL/CBL problem in that plants etc will absorb a bunch of damage but it's definitely good for a long while. It can also affect multiple enemies around you which is otherwise a definite weakness of the AE start. Lightning bolt is also surprisingly good once you get the power up, it's just harder to justify because it's ridiculously loud. A bounce shot can obliterate hydras or you can fry a line of yaks.

CBL is like orb of destruction if OoD did aoe damage and you could summon 5 at a time.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Static Discharge is strong enough to kill everything in Lair except possibly a few uniques, hydras and elephant/death yak packs (although it can handle solo elephants/death yaks fine.) If you're building your --AE as a mage (i.e. aiming for ~10 conjurations/air) you can kill spiny frogs/black mambas in 2-4 turns.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
cbl probably made more sense when the Insulation spell still existed

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

code:
598372 cliffracer the Imperceptible (level 26, -3/144 HPs)
             Began as a Spriggan Enchanter on June 27, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Hepliaklqana.
             Killed from afar by an orb of fire (22 damage)
             ... with a bolt of fire
             ... on level 5 of the Realm of Zot on June 30, 2016.
             The game lasted 11:21:39 (93034 turns).

cliffracer the Imperceptible (Spriggan Enchanter)  Turns: 93034, Time: 11:21:39

Health: -3/144     AC:  6    Str:  3    XL:     26   Next: 41%
Magic:  5/43       EV: 40    Int: 34    God:    Hepliaklqana [******]
Gold:   2417       SH: 12    Dex: 24    Spells: 15 memorised, 11 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +    Y - +10 short sword of Descent {drain, Int+3}
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    V - +2 robe of Lugonu's Scorn {*Drain rN++ Dex+6}
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    I - +3 buckler {rC+}
rPois  .          Spirit   .    h - +2 hat
rElec  +          Dismiss  +    C - +2 cloak
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    (gloves unavailable)
SustAt .          Harm     .    (boots unavailable)
MR     ++++.      Clarity  +    x - amulet of Pema {Dismiss rElec Int+2}
Stlth  ++++......               O - ring of the Madman {rF+ Stlth+}
                                j - +3 ring of intelligence

@: corroded, very slightly contaminated, hasted, very quick, incredibly
resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: unfitting armour, rugged brown scales 1, see invisible, clarity, herbivore 3,
speed 3, low mp 1, slow metabolism 2, weak 1
a: Recall Ancestor, Ancestor Identity, Transference, Idealise, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, abyssal
I learned today that every character needs a strategy for dealing with OoFs, and "ninja the orb" is not a good one.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I'm curious. Since the removal of rMut, has anyone here ever played a game (won or lost) where they encountered and killed an OoF without getting malmutated? I mean, I get that it's theoretically possible and down to "good tactics" and all, but there are some very good players (I'm certainly not one of them to be sure) here who regularly win and 15 rune, so I'd like to know if anyone is managing this feat on even a semi-regular basis.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

cbl probably made more sense when the Insulation spell still existed

It's a really strong argument for using a staff of air right now, it's the one staff I will frequently try to acquire as a caster. Though the entire air school is a pretty good argument for that, a lot of air spells benefit much more from power than other schools and rElec is useful even for static and CL.

Unimpressed posted:

I'm curious. Since the removal of rMut, has anyone here ever played a game (won or lost) where they encountered and killed an OoF without getting malmutated? I mean, I get that it's theoretically possible and down to "good tactics" and all, but there are some very good players (I'm certainly not one of them to be sure) here who regularly win and 15 rune, so I'd like to know if anyone is managing this feat on even a semi-regular basis.
One orb is easy. They have other spells and you can kill them pretty quickly with the right things. Catch them in a tornado or with antimagic or whatever. Every orb in zot? Never.

Darox fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 30, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm sure I've done it a few times, but the thing is its almost entirely RNG. Its just luck that an OoF decides to spam its other spells instead of malmutate. You could kill 5 of them without ever seeing malmutate, then the next one spams it 3 times. I've just decided to no longer do Zot:5 if I'm going extended and have mutations I care about/limited cure mut. Missing out on the exp sucks but I don't wanna gamble on getting turned into a freakshow when I can avoid it.

The idea that malmutate can be avoided through skill really only applies to shining eyes, and to a lesser extent neqoxec. Shinining eyes are slow and squishy, so blocking LOS and hitting them with a strong attack can usually work. Neqoxec are also squishy and have some other options available to you, like going invis or exploiting their relatively low MR. But then there are cacodemons, which aren't particularly robust but can take a hit and all they need is one turn to mutate you. They also dig up walls so any other mutators can reach you, making managing LOS against more than one a pain. Orbs of fire are, of course, absurdly tanky so beating them without getting mutated is mostly RNG.

Also sometimes you enter a malmutators LOS and they use their first action to mutate you so you don't even get to respond.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Fuckin' let me tell you about Fire Zig levels.

They're the single most terrifying things in this game. Going up against 16+ Orbs of Fire, usually like 4 at a time and a steady stream replacing them, is awful. You get turned into a barely-moving, misshapen mess with a mutation line red as far as the eye can see.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
>

<

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

More Ogre talk:

Playing Ogre does weird things to your mind. Never before have I killed Robin and saw the drop and go "oh man, a shiny animal skin! sweet!!"

I've been super lucky on this run with just about everything except jewelry. Went with Oka, which has paid off since he keeps giving me weird Ogre specific gear. I'm midway through Lair (have done D15 and Orc already), but am wondering what armour to wear going forward. Keep in mind this is an OgFi who has no interest in spellcasting. I have access to:
- +0 Ice Dragon Armour (beat an early OOD ice dragon that nearly killed me)
- +1 steam dragon armour (rElec Str+10 Slay+5)
- +2 Robe (rPois rN+ Mr+)
- +2 Robe of Resistance

Related to this, this game has really been lobbying to make me use a shield, with Oka dropping sweet one handers, and I have Donald's +0 Shield of Reflection. These are the weapons I have access to:
- +11 flail (venom, rF+ rN+)
- +7 Great Mace (venom, rC+ Sinv)
- +0 GSC

Skills are at: M&F 20, Armour 11.7, Dodging 13, Shield 9

What I'm wondering is, where do I go from here? I can think of:
- All fight no defense: Steam Dragon Armour and GSC (I have 6 scrolls of enchant weapon and a brand weapon)
- All defense no fight: Ice Dragon Armour, Shield of Reflection, +11 flail
- Mix:Steam Dragon Armour, Shield of Reflection, +11 flail

Any opinions? What I'm realizing is Ogre is really variable in some ways, instead of arriving at mostly the same place like Gr/Mi/Fo Fi (e.g. more armour than god) due to how they're going to have to stack their equipment for resistances and other things they can't get from boots/gloves/better armour. For lair I'm rocking "Mix" because even with the wimpy attack of the flail I can kill anything before it gets all up ins, but I'm thinking beyond.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

One day they are gonna add an enemy to Tomb that seals stairs and it will be the end of 15 rune games.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would enchant up GSC and use it+Ice Dragon Armor.

thems

elf

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The secret to murdering OoFs is to counter them with orbs of your own. My DSMo was two shotting them with OoD.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Enchanted ice dragon armour is really good armour, it has a lot of ac for relatively low encumberance. Unless you really need fire resist and have no other sources you can wear IDA everywhere.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
triple sword shower thoughts

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

triple sword shower thoughts

Maxwell's Blade of Overkill

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thanks for the advice Crawl Chums(tm). The brand weapon went Flame for the GSC which is pretty good. However, Oka continues to tempt me into using shields by gifting me a +6 Eveningstar of Protection. Normally I don't care for Prot brand at all but it's awfulll tempting to go from 20 AC to 25 AC and still be doing 15 dmg at min delay.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

dpeg is one person with one person's opinions. i respect & value his insights greatly but please do not think that he is the sole determiner of what is or is not in the game.

yea i feel like some people were getting hyperbolic in here but i guess frustration levels are kind of high v:shobon:v i am legitimately interested in dpeg's ideas but it's somewhat disheartening to feel like he doesn't want to have a discussion in good faith?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well now I'm sad because I got boots of the assassin and gauntlets of war on a character in lair. Then when doing Snake I teleported into the end vault at 50 HP and yeah that didn't end well :(

I didn't even realize I was on Snake:4.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Just have Malmut take a turn and require vision

The Orb of Fire begins to glow with malmutagenic energy!

Then the player can choose if its worth burning a scroll of fog/blinking/scroll of silence ect or not, boom.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Yeah, the recurring theme is to provide some sort of buffer for the player to react that isn't "a malmutator is on screen". I'm all for that in some way or form.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

I very much appreciate that Crawl is design by committee for this reason. I also will say again that I appreciate the entire dev team for working on Crawl despite having misgivings at times or about specific things, as the game is overall 10x more fun than when I started playing in 0.13.

Unimpressed posted:

I've done Zot without getting malmutated ever (as a non-undead species), but you need to have good summoning spells to hide behind. Malign Gateway works best since it body blocks a lot of area and is immune to fire, meaning it is just a matter of time while waiting for the tentacle to slowly slap it to death.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I tried reading the encumbrance rating wiki page, but I don't have a degree in mathematics so is there a general rule for "you should have X strength before wearing scale, this much before wearing plate..." etc?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

You should have as much strength as the encumbrance rating of the armor you want to wear, more if you want to do significant amounts of spellcasting.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Heithinn Grasida posted:

You should have as much strength as the encumbrance rating of the armor you want to wear, more if you want to do significant amounts of spellcasting.

Well that's way easier than I thought it'd be.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Unimpressed posted:

Yes! ... But I had Hat of the Alchemist. :D That was a sweet drop before, it's even better now.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

One day they are gonna add an enemy to Tomb that seals stairs and it will be the end of 15 rune games.

don't give them any ideas, Kraken jesus

Correct me if I'm wrong too, but didn't the rMut amulet just give you good odds to block a malmutate, it wasn't a sure thing? Also, floodkiller, that is a solid post.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong too, but didn't the rMut amulet just give you good odds to block a malmutate, it wasn't a sure thing? Also, floodkiller, that is a solid post.

90%, which is pretty close to being effectively immune, even with casual-but-decent play.

With rMut amulets gone, it's down to 67% now on any other non-Zin sources, I think.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

We've talked about it before, of course.

The most distinctive suggestion that i recall was having all entrances into tomb:3 (and :2?) be trapdoors with fixed destinations. Then you'd have trapdoors leading up elsewhere in the level - i think the suggestion for tomb:3 was that they'd be in the treasure chambers?

Of course any change like that would have to be accompanied by reducing the number and/or threat of enemies in tomb, since it would be... more or less impossible for most characters otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Still on my first 15 rune attempt with a DEFE. I've cleared slime, abyss, crypt and Zot 1-4 and have 5 runes now. My character:

code:
Sent the Sorcerer (Deep Elf Fire Elementalist)    Turns: 125710, Time: 16:32:31

Health: 171/171    AC: 15    Str:  9    XL:     27
Magic:  69/69      EV: 34    Int: 54    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   2969       SH: 10    Dex: 24    Spells: 14 memorised, 3 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis +    i - staff of power
rCold  . . .      Gourm    +    P - +2 robe {Archmagi}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    q - +3 buckler {reflect}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    p - +2 hat {MR+}
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    E - +1 cloak "Ypledghe" {Int+5}
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    Z - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    y - +2 pair of boots of Akke {Int+3 SInv}
MR     ++++.                    U - amulet "Wauwniku" {Gourm rF+ MR+ Str+4}
Stlth  +++++.....               w - ring "Otycir" {Fragile rF+ Int+7 Dex+4 Slay+4}
                                x - ring "Ygil" {rPois Int+5 Stlth-}
Full dump: http://pastebin.com/DYf2QMpy

I have not found a book of Annihilations or the Necronomicon yet, so I don't have access to Chain Lightning, Death's door or Borgnjor's. I'll probably try to learn LCS that was gifted from Vehumet instead of CL. I'm also not that enthusiastic about my equipment / resistances. I can swap some things out to get cold/elec/corr/SustAt resistences (through rings, buckler of positive energy, or staff of air), but I can't really have multiple going on at once.

I'm guessing I should head for Pan next, and not try to do something like Tomb or a Zig to try to get more loot?

Also, regarding all this mutation talk:
code:
118518 | Zot:3    | Noticed an orb of fire
118518 | Zot:3    | Gained mutation: You are surrounded by a mild repulsion field (EV +2). [an orb of fire]
Guess I just got super lucky.

• Locked thread