Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

So they're pushing mono-black madness rather than RB? This guy turn 2, the 5-drop turn 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is actually really good. I highly doubt the rest of the set can push vampires into being a Tier 1 deck, but at least this a good start. Discard outlet for turn 3 while being an anthem effect.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Pretty brutal with Incorrigible Youths

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

because I know we all wanted red donate

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Well, every set needs a super narrow junk rare or two.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

Why is this a rare?

Also are you image leeching?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm really excited to see the cards they print to enable this now. They wouldn't just throw out a card that was literally useless anywhere outside a Zedruu deck, would they?

E: also amazed at the idea of High Tide being legal in a Pauper world where blue mana cheating is already the best deck.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 30, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

At least she's in the right colors for protection from black

You know, for when she brings her first boyfriend home

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Elyv posted:

Seems good with Demonic Pact.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
That Vampire's also pretty good if you can get your lands to come in untapped. Free, instant speed, repeatable discard outlets are the lifeblood of madness decks (this one's at least repeatable in the long term). Helpfully, any Vampires you cast with madness from this ability should resolve before the pump effect itself, so if you have a Youths in hand for the turn after this you're going to be swinging for a whole lot.

Thing In The Ice is probably going to get much worse in EDM though. There are a ton of cards in a whole bunch of archetypes that have the Horror subtype stapled on here and there, and it's a lot less impressive if it doesn't actually clear the board.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I wonder why red isn't playable outside of Chandra when you take away the one thing it has ever done well and give it rares that are worth less than the space they occupy, both physically and within the confines of the set.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wilder Mongrel

Mezzanon posted:

Why is this a rare?
It's an utter brick in Limited and it's hard to understand the actual purpose is. It's also interesting because I seem to recall MaRo saying he regarded Donate as a mistake because it restricted the design space for drawback cards they could do. I guess they don't do extreme drawbacks that often anymore.

Donate was a rare for, I imagine, the same reasons.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 30, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Lets Pickle posted:

Seems good with Demonic Pact.

I'm sure there might be other cards printed to work with it, but this seems like the most obvious choice. Pact control decks make a comeback with maybe 2 of these in the main?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mezzanon posted:

Why is this a rare?

Also are you image leeching?

Because the idea is to donate a Demonic Pact with nothing left on it but "lose the game"

The other idea is that Donate is on the Reserved List so this is how you get around it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 30, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is there anything in modern that you could pull donate tricks with? Immortal Coil + Relic of Progenitus?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Need foils. Also need someone to replace the art with LSVBaby.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
*Crack pack* Donate card to the player sitting to your left.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Elyv posted:

Exclusive EDM spoiler: there's another colorshifted donate in the set too.

Angel of Donations 2W
Creature -- Angel
Flying, first strike, vigilance, lifelink, haste, protection from permanents you own
When Angel of Donations enters the battlefield, target opponent gains control of target permanent you control and you gain 2 life.
4/5

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Angel of Donations 2W
Creature -- Angel
Flying, first strike, vigilance, lifelink, haste, protection from permanents you own
When Angel of Donations enters the battlefield, target opponent gains control of target permanent you control and you gain 2 life.
4/5

Dies to removal.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I'm gonna build a B/R deck with the tree/triskedawhatever combo and also Red Donate and Demonic Pact and im probably gonna lose a lot

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Angel of Donations 2W
Creature -- Angel
4/5

Needs trample too, otherwise they can use tricks to get around lifelink.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

This is actually really good. I highly doubt the rest of the set can push vampires into being a Tier 1 deck, but at least this a good start. Discard outlet for turn 3 while being an anthem effect.

It's possible that Red/Black becomes a semi viable Aggro deck after Origins and Dragons rotates out. White Aggro will lose it's critical mass of hyper efficient 1 drops and 2 drops. Languish and CoCo leave the format. And Red might get like playable cards in Kaladesh that aren't strictly worse than what every other color has in this set. But probably Red will just get it's artifact themes played with, and will get no playable removal.

But with stuff like the Green one drop, it seems like Aggro will just be a White Green aggro deck with new Thalia to curbstomp any other colors aggro strategies and featuring Tireless Tracker and Advocate instead. Also Avacyn.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 30, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Grixis Demonic Pact + Donate seems like a real thing - it's something that's reasonably powerful, possibly powerful enough to match what G/W and Bant Company decks are doing. It isn't like the top two decks are running maindeck enchantment destruction, right?

Dromoka's Command is a messed up magic card.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Jabor posted:

Is there anything in modern that you could pull donate tricks with? Immortal Coil + Relic of Progenitus?

Steel Golem / Grid Monitor? There's not much bad stuff out there.

Edit: Bronze Bombshell? Still not worth the effort though.

Alris fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 30, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Grixis Demonic Pact + Donate seems like a real thing - it's something that's reasonably powerful, possibly powerful enough to match what G/W and Bant Company decks are doing. It isn't like the top two decks are running maindeck enchantment destruction, right?

Dromoka's Command is a messed up magic card.

Keeping Origins and Dragons in and not booting them out when Eldritch Moon hit seems like a pretty lovely decision in retrospect.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

anglachel posted:

Keeping Origins and Dragons in and not booting them out when Eldritch Moon hit seems like a pretty lovely decision in retrospect.

Demonic Pact is from Origins, sadly. It and Command are locked together, which is a shame because Demonic Pact is a sweet card.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There's probably going to be something really janky in this set that Harmless Offering combos with. It's going to be really bad, but then again so is Triskaidekaphobia + Tree of Perdition and people love that.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

There's probably going to be something really janky in this set that Harmless Offering combos with. It's going to be really bad, but then again so is Triskaidekaphobia + Tree of Perdition and people love that.

People say that. But like Tree of Perdition is still a big blocker who can make your opponent take 7 effective damage. And Triskaidekaphobia actually causes life loss (or gain if you really need it). Red Donate does nothing by itself.

Also Demonic Pact plus Red Donate requires you to survive 2 turns with Demonic Pact staying in play and doing it's thing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think if there was a deck that had both Dark Petition and Demonic Pact, you could chuck donate in there as a one-of and it could be quite good.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Play Tainted Remedy for the wombo combo with Triskaidekaphobia

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Comedy option: harmless offering + sphinx tutelage as delirium enabler.

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 30, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Winning the game on the spot is quite good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Scary

Decimator of Pronvinces
Eldrazi Boar
Emerge 6GGG

When you cast Edlrazi of Pronvinces, creatures you control get +2/+2 and gain trample until end of turn.

Haste, Trample

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Rinkles posted:

Scary

Decimator of Pronvinces
Eldrazi Boar
Emerge 6GGG

When you cast Edlrazi of Pronvinces, creatures you control get +2/+2 and gain trample until end of turn.

Haste, Trample

Why isn't this an Eldrazi Craterhoof?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Probably because a GGG Craterhoof would be too good?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Probably because a GGG Craterhoof would be too good?

I don't mean the +X/+X, just why isn't the art/typing a callback when it's so similar?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So is emerge purely BG (except obviously it's only on colourless cards here)? Seems like it could fit Black too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BizarroAzrael posted:

So is emerge purely BG (except obviously it's only on colourless cards here)? Seems like it could fit Black too.

It's Sultai colors only.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I don't mean the +X/+X, just why isn't the art/typing a callback when it's so similar?

boar tribal really needed the boost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

SOME PIG

• Locked thread