Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

FairGame posted:

The trumps seem an exception. How often is a total poo poo team going to win the EC and promote?

(And before anyone points out mrnoun's new team, I'd like to point out that I reloaded my March save and simmer a ton of times, and the Landers won a plurality of the time. They're legit good. Or at least "not bad.")

Hilariously I did the same thing with the then chaos candidates and the same thing happened, it was them, the rain dogs, and mks's team in some order every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Turns out that having 80% of a super league ready rotation and poo poo all else is Good enough to win ECs, who knew

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Contingent on cthulhu accepting Craig's offer, and Smasher approving the whole mess:

The Scientists get:
2nd round Dispersal Draft pick

The Landers get:
1968 Reggie Jackson
1920 Sam Rice
1975 Al Hrabosky
1st round Super Draft pick
The fun of spending a season rooting against CraigK.

I'm letting him off light.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

mrnoun posted:

Contingent on cthulhu accepting Craig's offer, and Smasher approving the whole mess:

The Scientists get:
2nd round Dispersal Draft pick

The Landers get:
1968 Reggie Jackson
1920 Sam Rice
1975 Al Hrabosky
1st round Super Draft pick
The fun of spending a season rooting against CraigK.

I'm letting him off light.

works for me

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

CraigK posted:

Hilariously I did the same thing with the then chaos candidates and the same thing happened, it was them, the rain dogs, and mks's team in some order every time

just ran the week zero sim again and

pre:
159 SEASONS SIMULATED

AL    Won   Lost   WC   LC   1R  1st Wild  2nd  3rd  4th   5+
               Chaos  88.27  73.76    0   12    0   12    0   32   29   41   45
            Cuyahoga  83.47  78.55    0    6    0    6    0    9   19   23  102
       Dusty Baker's  86.61  75.42    0   12    0   12    0   22   32   22   71
             Glacier  75.49  86.51    0    0    0    0    0    0    2    2  155
               Idaho  67.48  94.52    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0  159
            New York  95.55  66.51    0   87    0   87    0   35   13   10   14
               Omaha  84.99  77.01    0    3    0    3    0   23   22   28   83
             Seattle  79.72  82.28    0    0    0    0    0    5    7   11  136
        Small Market  56.48 105.52    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0  159
     Your Dad's Beer  92.01  70.01    0   39    0   39    0   33   35   22   30

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Pungry posted:

I'm willing to trade SP for good defense up the middle. The People's Left Hander, Eddie Plank, Jose Fernandez, and Urban Shocker are all up for trade. Rube Waddell is theoretically up for trade as well, but I'm less willing to let him go. Obviously, Jeter and A-Rod are available as well and are still great bats even at 2012 vintage. I just think this team needs defense more than their bats currently. All other position players other than Ted Williams are available as well, but people are likely only interested in George Sisler, Goose Goslin, or Wally Schang.

Again, looking for SS and 2B that can field.

If you don't care about bats, I have outstanding defense up the middle available for trade:

SS Ozzie Smith 1983, the Wizard.
2B Glenn Hubbard 1983, #1 all time in career Range Factor at 2nd base.
CF Andre Dawson 1983, in the middle of a run of six straight Gold Gloves.

All three are in their primes, between 25 and 28.

Let me know what you'd have available for those guys. I could use pitching for sure, and guys like Goose and Schang are definitely tempting.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
As usual, one of my primary goals for the offseason is to improve the ages on some of my players. If you have any of the following players at ages between 25 & 31 (inclusive), and you'd like to fill a hole somewhere in return for turning them younger/older, let me know:
- Frank Thomas
- Ernie Banks
- Willie Mays
- Ty Cobb
- Manny Ramirez
- Wilbur Wood
- Lee Smith
- Felix Hernandez
- Eddie Plank

Additionally, I'd like to get my hands on decent-age versions of the following players (or picks to get them):
- Tris Speaker (would send my Ty Cobb in return)
- Albert Pujols
- Pedro Martinez (or any other strikeout righty you can convince me is in his vicinity)

Here's my team spreadsheet, for reference. I have PMs on here, and I'm also @Mornacale on twitter.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

CraigK posted:

just ran the week zero sim again and

pre:
159 SEASONS SIMULATED

AL    Won   Lost   WC   LC   1R  1st Wild  2nd  3rd  4th   5+
       Dusty Baker's  86.61  75.42    0   12    0   12    0   22   32   22   71

HOW WAS MY TEAM SO drat BAD MULTIPLE TIMES?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

shepard.shouldgo posted:

HOW WAS MY TEAM SO drat BAD MULTIPLE TIMES?

This was the version before your trades.

So with Buddy Bell and Orlando Hudson as starters.
And you've already seen how volatile Speaker can be. And maybe Old Young died again, and...

E: say, do you still have that Cepeda? And do I have anything I could trade for him?

FairGame fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 30, 2016

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

FairGame posted:

This was the version before your trades.

So with Buddy Bell and Orlando Hudson as starters.
And you've already seen how volatile Speaker can be. And maybe Old Young died again, and...

E: say, do you still have that Cepeda? And do I have anything I could trade for him?

yes but it still averaged 86 wins pre trades and got not nearly close to that in the actual EC which is why I'm saying that.

Yes I have that Cepeda(he batted .282 this year!) but I'm not sure anything on your team really fits mine, the only things I'm looking for at the moment are "a deadball pitcher better than Shocker/Cicotte/Winter"(which you don't have) and "a utility/backup that can play 2B or SS since Pesky is both backup 2b and backup SS"(Which I'm not sure is worth fixing for the gaunlet).

If you have an offer in mind feel free to make it.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

mrnoun posted:

If you don't care about bats, I have outstanding defense up the middle available for trade:

SS Ozzie Smith 1983, the Wizard.
2B Glenn Hubbard 1983, #1 all time in career Range Factor at 2nd base.
CF Andre Dawson 1983, in the middle of a run of six straight Gold Gloves.

All three are in their primes, between 25 and 28.

Let me know what you'd have available for those guys. I could use pitching for sure, and guys like Goose and Schang are definitely tempting.

I'm interested in Smith and Hubbard. Let's talk over IRC sometime tomorrow.

This doesn't mean I'm not interested in Vizquel, Pander, so same for you.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Once I know what happens in the EC Playoffs, I want to join in on Trade MadnessTM too!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey. Hey you. I got a 1917 Babe Ruth. That's twenty-two years old. You wanna make the trade?

Yes I do! Trade accepted.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

:siren: Trade alert :siren:

The Boston Level 1 Barbarians Receive:

1939 Ted Williams
1969 Ron Santo

The Mexico City Mexicutioners receive:

1917 Babe Ruth

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I forgot to vote so Demote the Gumshoes. Marauder will bounce back, and EC division winners deserve to get at least two seasons to fine tune things and compete.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

rabidsquid posted:

1939 Ted Williams
1969 Ron Santo

1917 Babe Ruth

Wait, why are the Mexicutioners doing this?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Wait, why are the Mexicutioners doing this?

They feel they have excess good 3Bs and feel Ruth is more consistent and dingerrific than baby Ted.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Pander posted:

They feel they have excess good 3Bs and feel Ruth is more consistent and dingerrific than baby Ted.

Defense is a thing.

A thing that Santo does, and Edgar does not.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

rabidsquid posted:

1939 Ted Williams
1969 Ron Santo

1917 Babe Ruth

Accepted.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Defense is a thing.

A thing that Santo does, and Edgar does not.

Which of their other corner infielder do you think is worth the difference from Ted to Babe?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Is the trade really that bad? I would prefer to keep Santo to Edgar but I didn't think it was that terrible of a trade, trading off some defense for offense :ohdear:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

rabidsquid posted:

Is the trade really that bad? I would prefer to keep Santo to Edgar but I didn't think it was that terrible of a trade, trading off some defense for offense :ohdear:

I was worried I might be trading away a sure thing for a pair of lottery tickets but everyone told me it was a solid trade so right now the only person who seems to think it's not a good idea is Smasher.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

rabidsquid posted:

Edgar isn't good defensively. It's not a problem if you have the pitching to mask this (guys who won't throw many ground balls). If you are relying heavily on groundballers, that may be a play every two to three games that Edgar doesn't get to or errors on that Santo would have made. It's not an exact science, all of that kind of poo poo is guesstimation, but I'd put the defensive drop from Santo to Edgar at probably 1 to 2 wins over a full season.

So the question is whether the change in offense can overcome that drop.

Hard to say. Ted Williams seems like he can hit okay, but since SL12 he hasn't had a superlative "Ted Williams" type season at age 20. Recently he's had a bevy of "pretty good" seasons, but stacking against Ruth he comes up short. The nearest Ruth comp, the 1918 Ruth, murders baseballs HARD, both in the distant and recent past.

For reference, the Yellowstone Direwolves had both the 20 y/o Williams AND the 1918 Ruth, which are pretty much the characters in question. The Ruth outperformed the Williams in every facet of offense, and provided more oWAR in only about 2/3 the games. And that Williams hit very well for his age!

The offensive jump from Edgar to Santo is not very clear. I'd rate them close. What's interesting is there's a number of Santos who have been in bandbox stadiums launching 25+ HR, and there are no Edgars who have ever been in a similar circumstance. Maybe Edgar has a 30+ HR season in him too. Hard to say, though. The only compelling data was from this season, where Santo had a slightly better slash line, but Edgar seemed poised to hit more dingers over a full season (he did only play ~1/2 as much as Santo, right?)

TL;DR
Guy who gets Williams/Santo gets the elite player at the more scarce position and a fine LF/DH.
Guy who gets Ruth gets a hitter so much better than all other SL hitters it can make up for the loss of elite 3B. He can also play LF, RF, or DH. Or, if you're looking for a larf, pitch.

The first guy "wins" the trade, but that doesn't mean the second guy would be worse off.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Play-Offs Lineup

#1: Carlos Beltran (CF)
#2: Al Simmons (LF)
#3: Adam Dunn (DH)
#4: Babe Ruth (RF)
#5: Lou Whitaker (2B)
#6: John Olerud (1B)
#7: Scott Rolen (3B)
#8: Cal Ripken (SS)
#9: Ivan Rodriguez (C)

Bench
#1: St. Mark Bellhorn (IF)
#2: Ted Simmons (C)
#3: Enos Slaughter (OF)
#4: Nap Lajoie (IF)
#5: Kirk Gibson (OF)

Rotation
#1: Cy Young
#2: Pete Alexander
#3: Steve Carlton
#4: Wanderlei Bolton

Bullpen
Cl: Rob Dibble
SU: Eri Yoshida
SR: Aaron Loup
SR: Keith Foulke
MR: John Franco
LR: Steve Carlton

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

rabidsquid posted:

For what it's worth, I think you won the trade, actually. Then again, I've been burned by Ron Santo in a similar way that I've been burned by Barry Bonds. Also, I have a bias against young players that are not Babe Ruth (probably from the Barry Incident back in SL13).

Santo, while being the quintessential Good 3B Guy, has potential to crap out, as does 20 year old Ted Williams - like Pander said, he's been good, but he hasn't been TED WILLIAMS DESTROYER OF BASEBALLS recently. Babe Ruth, on the other hand, is the surest thing of sure things.

I'm imagining the Mexicutioners with a Babe Ruth season like the Bombers have, and it's frightening.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I think It was bad.

Look at the Dinger Temple era Llamas, who had a similar age Ruth. He averaged 58 homers in his two seasons there. That's a lot!

But Ruth in a normal stadium averages around 35.

Is 25 extra homers per season on a team that already hits a billion homers more valuable than the drop from Santo to Martinez?

Santo himself is a 45 homer per year guy on the Llamas or Mexicutioners when he's usually only capable of around 20. So Edgar is gonna need to hit more than an extra 25 to make up for the lost defense.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 30, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I think any trade that makes a person less likely to look at their team and go "fuuuuuuuuuuuuck what am I even doing I hate the Super-League" is, by definition, a good trade.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

If anyone wants to trade with me, send me a tweet because I won't be at my own PC until Monday.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Before the gauntlet starts, I am floating my 1918 Babe Ruth. If you are interested, please send me PMs.

Here's my team: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qiiBur-ThGo6LopnOrPfCOxnaEg8-K8JmqM9XZ6kyyA/pubhtml

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
While we're floating players, I think I can afford to move my 1983 Mike Schmidt. I'm mostly looking for pitching, but also need help at C, SS and CF.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Don't really want to do trades before the playoffs, but I realize Gauntlet teams will need to make moves now. So if any of you gauntlet teams want to offer me a good OBPing leadoff type OF (particularly RF) or a left handed power catcher (other than Yogi do these exist?) please hit me up.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
^^^^ If you want to trade for my Ted Simmons so bad all you need to do is ask!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Pash posted:

left handed power catcher (other than Yogi do these exist?)

Off the top, Smoky Burgess, mebbe Darrell Porter.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Merry Marauder posted:

Off the top, Smoky Burgess, mebbe Darrell Porter.

I'd love to see someone experiment with Carlos Delgado at C.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Jesus. What's he rated there? I mean, I guess it should be substanially above the usual "this person is not a catcher, gently caress off."

That's terrifying, and I've played Jason Giambi at third.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Merry Marauder posted:

Jesus. What's he rated there? I mean, I guess it should be substanially above the usual "this person is not a catcher, gently caress off."

That's terrifying, and I've played Jason Giambi at third.

The post-destruction Bronies apparently used him there and he didn't seem all that bad, tbh.

I feel like Mogul is pretty forgiving of catcher defense if someone has ever played the position. I should not have been able to get away with 3 seasons of a 34-year-old Jimmie Foxx at catcher, and yet I did. Not ideal, certainly, but passable. Delgado shouldn't be that much worse.

Of course, the other issue with Delgado is that he's not that good in Mogul thanks to all the Ks. But I suspect he could put up a better-than-league-average batting line relative to other Cs.

If I end up relegated, though, my next team is going to hope and pray there are feeders similar to what I used to cobble together the 80s Rememberers. Porter's underrated, and he played on some Royals and Cardinals teams with similarly underrated guys.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I hear you on Porter. I've used him enough. And John Tudor was hilariously good for me once, speaking of Whiteyballers.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

CraigK posted:

Turns out that having 80% of a super league ready rotation and poo poo all else is Good enough to win ECs, who knew

Waddell/Plank/Joss/Noodles/Big Train disagree. Then again I had two starters hitting sub-.200 in mid-July so v:v:v

What were my home/away splits, and is it possible to see fielding % home/away as well? I'm curious how the dilapidated error-inducing Tropicana infield affected the Keys.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

oldskool posted:

Waddell/Plank/Joss/Noodles/Big Train disagree. Then again I had two starters hitting sub-.200 in mid-July so v:v:v

What were my home/away splits, and is it possible to see fielding % home/away as well? I'm curious how the dilapidated error-inducing Tropicana infield affected the Keys.

You can sabotage a rotation like that in the EC really easy by putting horrific defenders at SS and 2B. If Ross Barnes is playing 2B for your deadball rotation you are gonna do bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hey boys and girls! I want stuff. You have stuff. Looking to move:

1949 Duke Snider
1996 Ken Griffey Jr
1943 Mel Ott

and other pieces! I am looking for bullpen pieces, or some good SP. Teams coming from the EC, I can make package deals for your first rounder!