Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's even a specific named technique (Shu) that describes covering an object with aura to strengthen it. I assume there's some emitting going on to keep the cards (or coins...) sharp so the aura doesn't just blow away in the wind like a fart before it hits the target.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Could you transmute your aura into crystals? Or would that be conjuring? It'd be cool if someone could like, turn their aura into a diamond-consistently to make both cool barriers around them or rad claws/blades.

Aura can be turned into anything a person can imagine (see: Zeno transmuting his aura into a rad dragon versus stick in the mud Silva transmuting his aura into a Ball of Kill) and :can: the difference between emitting and conjuring is that emitting has to be maintained while conjuring creates an actual object that normies can see and can operate on its own for a given period of time without constant aura input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

mabels big day posted:

I don't really remember that part very well. Whenever they go into details of explaining nen I don't pay much attention to it

Heresy!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I don't really remember that part very well. Whenever they go into details of explaining nen I don't pay much attention to it

The hulk uses nen to enhance his pants when he sizes up.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Using real cards seems more Hisoka's style to me. He'd pride himself on being able to do cool tricks with real cards rather than just conjuring them I think. Magic is about doing stuff in the most byzantine, complicated way possible that no sane person would ever think of, conjuring the cards is just too obvious a solution.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

I decided to rewatch Naruto recently because I stopped following it in my late teens and assumed I was simply to mature for it. I found it was actually pretty decent and some of the fight animation and direction is way better than expected, hopefully that will carry on into Shippuden. However the weirdest thing for me (and this is true of almost every shounen now) is how vague abilities are compared to Hunter X Hunter. Togashi is just so far above everyone else in how his fights and ability system works.

This is true for pretty much every other shounen I can think of, with Naruto actually being one of the better ones with respect to giving characters unique, well-defined abilities they use in clever ways. HxH and World Trigger are the only two shounen I can think of that clearly define what the characters are capable of and generally stick to that.

edit: Oh, and JJBA of course also does this pretty well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
naruto is bad in the sense that its powers are all over the place and people never learn different stuff. its good though in that it leads to good group battles that most shounen are terrible at

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

naruto is bad in the sense that its powers are all over the place and people never learn different stuff. its good though in that it leads to good group battles that most shounen are terrible at

I'm mostly referring to the time before people start getting the really absurd abilities. For example, Shikamaru has his shadow bind ability and then learns new shadow abilities that make sense as an evolution of his preexisting one, and he never really does something completely ridiculous. Same goes for a bunch of the other characters. With the exception of the later fights, most fights weren't won by one character just being generically faster/stronger than the other.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm mostly referring to the time before people start getting the really absurd abilities. For example, Shikamaru has his shadow bind ability and then learns new shadow abilities that make sense as an evolution of his preexisting one, and he never really does something completely ridiculous. Same goes for a bunch of the other characters. With the exception of the later fights, most fights weren't won by one character just being generically faster/stronger than the other.

Sasuke + Naruto vs Haku, Neji vs Hinata, Sasuke vs Naruto, Gaara vs Lee, Gaara vs Sasuke.

The fights that don't fit the mold are like Naruto vs Gaara and Shikimaru vs Temari? I guess the Sound 5 fights for the most part except Choujis.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hinata and Neiji hardly counts considering what the fight was actually about.

The official Viz translation is up and it's clearer on the details as always. Like another poster mentioned in the Korean translation Kurapika says "Pariston didn't tell them or doesn't know" as opposed to concluding solely that Pariston doesn't know.

e: Melody describes Kachou as "fooling herself" as opposed to "her entire self is a lie" which is actually a fairly different meaning.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 27, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I have bad news about this series following the upcoming chapter that starts with an H and ends with an S.

It's boat-related destiny, I'm afraid.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 30, 2016

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
I am shocked.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
We all knew that Hunter and Berserk can not run at the same time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Still better release pace than Song of Ice and Fire!

I'm hoping for a 8 month hiatus.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

god loving dammit

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

naruto never actually does any group fights. except groups of narutos fighting dudes.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

At least we got the hisoka vs chrollo fight

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This is about as far as I predicted we'd get.

I appreciate him at least finishing the volume off.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

This is about as far as I predicted we'd get.

I appreciate him at least finishing the volume off.

It's your fault for even bringing this up as a question.

"Hey Zep when do you think HxH is going back on hiatus?"

WELL I GUESS IT'S NOW MOD.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I said we'd get a good volume out of him back before the first chapter new chapter hit.

We were doomed from the start.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sad, mod. And scared.

I've seen the post-hiatus HxH world and it was full of despair.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Maybe it'll be a short one this time.

:smithicide:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Maybe it'll be a short one this time.

:smithicide:

Well art-wise he isn't on death's door so...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tunicate posted:

Well art-wise he isn't on death's door so...

I have a theory that Togashi hits peak activity when he is closest to death.

According to all those author comments that Allarion's been posting, he trying to make his life better before suddenly going on hiatus.

I don't think this is a coincidence.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Maybe he's taking good care of his health now, and when he's back and fully recovered we will not see so many depressing author comments? :unsmith:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

updated, supposedly.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Well at least he made it to double digits this time.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Goddamit why'd you have to remind me of how long the last bloody hiatus was.

I mean we got Hisoka vs Chrollo out of this, but we're never gonna see the Dark Continent arc finished in this lifetime are we?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Asuron posted:

Goddamit why'd you have to remind me of how long the last bloody hiatus was.

I mean we got Hisoka vs Chrollo out of this, but we're never gonna see the Dark Continent arc finished in this lifetime are we?

I think the boat is going to be a proper Arc, with Kurapica vs Prince Bateman and Kurapica vs Spiders, and prince vs prince, and Hisoka vs Spiders if he is in the boat too. That's enough a a few volumes story.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is it clear anywhere what Togashi's health issues are? The way they make it sounds in the author comments it seems to be more a quality of life/mobility thing rather than a life/death thing. Maybe Shueisha should spring for an expensive rig that he can hang himself from while drawing to put minimal pressure on his achey bits while drawing? Like a sex swing, but for comics!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is it clear anywhere what Togashi's health issues are? The way they make it sounds in the author comments it seems to be more a quality of life/mobility thing rather than a life/death thing. Maybe Shueisha should spring for an expensive rig that he can hang himself from while drawing to put minimal pressure on his achey bits while drawing? Like a sex swing, but for comics!

Maybe his wife could use some of that Sailor Moon money she has.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

he has extremely bad back problems that were so painful he can't get out of bed. apparently from lying down to draw YYH.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lock him back in the hotel room

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well might as well go to grad school at this point. By the time I finish that and regain free time there may be an update.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Chaps out. It's weird

http://readms.com/r/hunter_x_hunter/360/3503/1

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I'm guessing Hamtaro is Tyson's Nen Beast, and it's condition is that it can only possess hot guys.

Edit: Or maybe Marayam?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Polite Mind Control Bear is fantastic and it sucks that we won't see more of it for god knows how long. Are all those beasts from Woble? The translation implies that they are, but it is mangastream so....

I can't believe he left it on a cliffhanger. Although it's not like Kurapika is going to get killed by some chump with a knife.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Beasts act independently of the host and the host is not even aware of them unless they can independently use Nen. Biscuit also told Kurapika that there was no Nen beast around her prince and Kurapika wondered if it meant it was on its way so I think we were seeing multiple princes Nen Beasts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Begemot posted:

Polite Mind Control Bear is fantastic and it sucks that we won't see more of it for god knows how long. Are all those beasts from Woble? The translation implies that they are, but it is mangastream so....

I can't believe he left it on a cliffhanger. Although it's not like Kurapika is going to get killed by some chump with a knife.

You say that and then Kurapika gets killed by some chump with a knife and it becomes the LEORIO SHOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

T/N Check wikipedia to find out more