Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
So I spend the evening invading other worlds as a Mad Phantom in order to give embers to people. (I like helping and I like trolling and it does a little bit of both.) It's Irithyl. I show up to a pair, a phantom and the host, at the Central Irithyll bonfire. I drop an ember, the phantom cautiously picks it up. The host does the My Thanks! I point at the host, drop another ember, the host picks it up, does the My Thanks!. I point at the phantom, draw sword and shield, and do the combat wiggle. The phantom and I square off, while the Host watches.

The phantom has the forked spear, I have Anri's sword. We go at it for like a minute and a half, nearly evenly matched. In the end, he does a flying thrust while I do a charged R2 and we have a mutual kill. The host runs over and does another My Thanks! It was great.

I stopped for the night because I wasn't going to top that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

redreader posted:

I'm playing on PC. On a new character I stopped levelling at 25 and am doing the wolf covenant fights. I'm using the dark axe you get in the first mimic room in the first area, at level 2. (actually no, I switched to a raw level 2 axe, my bad), two handed.

I am beating most people. I don't think I'm that good, but I have all the estus shards/bone fragments available within the range I've been (so 9 sips at +2, 4 sips when invading). One good thing is that at that level range, the wolf covenant gets constant invades non stop, and there are also darkwraiths and co in the forest, all waiting to give you a helping hand. Sometimes I just get totally owned though! At that level there isn't anyone going full-cheese with any weapon type.

Have you considered trying a low level wizard build? Here's a good video that describes it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1ap_t_PZ8

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Have you considered trying a low level wizard build? Here's a good video that describes it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1ap_t_PZ8

Hehehehehehehe.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwpeInOX1Ro

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I've finally managed to get that one knight of the deep to drop his heavy crossbow. I can't say how many times I had to kill him to finally get him to drop it, but here's how many maces and shields that I picked up exclusively from this one guy to just get a single crossbow:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's Dark Souls as gently caress to have that ONE enemy in that precarious position have a unique weapon. I snagged one too...and ended up using Avelyn anyway.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

I've finally managed to get that one knight of the deep to drop his heavy crossbow. I can't say how many times I had to kill him to finally get him to drop it, but here's how many maces and shields that I picked up exclusively from this one guy to just get a single crossbow:

Dude that is nothing compared to the full pages I had odd silver knight armor i had after grinding out the dark moon convenant items. Or even worse the hundreds of poo poo stained daggers from the ghru warriors.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MarshyMcFly posted:

Dude that is nothing compared to the full pages I had odd silver knight armor i had after grinding out the dark moon convenant items. Or even worse the hundreds of poo poo stained daggers from the ghru warriors.

But you farmed 30 or so of those. This was for one.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Supremezero posted:

But you farmed 30 or so of those. This was for one.

Yea hence the overload of useless armor and weapons.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Gimbal lock posted:

Is there something special about the heavy crossbow? Cause I'm looking at a wiki right now and it looks like the arbalest does better damage, the only downside is it's a bit heavier and has a higher STR requirement

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I don't know which of you is WeeabooJones but gently caress you for taking my gift ember and then stabbing me in the face without breaking stride you bad ghost

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm dumb as hell, where can one find that gif of a WWE wrestler making their entrance but then someone with skull make up runs up and knocks them out with a chair, after which it fades to the Dark Souls YOU DIED message?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I don't know which of you is WeeabooJones but gently caress you for taking my gift ember and then stabbing me in the face without breaking stride you bad ghost

Im not him but id do the same for wasting my time with useless items.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I started my first character on DS3 as a sorcerer on a dare.

It's... not going as badly as I expected? I can't tell if 3 is more forgiving than 1, or if sorcerers are stronger.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm dumb as hell, where can one find that gif of a WWE wrestler making their entrance but then someone with skull make up runs up and knocks them out with a chair, after which it fades to the Dark Souls YOU DIED message?

its WCW, and its Disco Inferno being attacked by La Parka, if you were curious.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Jonked posted:

I started my first character on DS3 as a sorcerer on a dare.

It's... not going as badly as I expected? I can't tell if 3 is more forgiving than 1, or if sorcerers are stronger.

We've come a long way since the Royal was easy mode.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

DatonKallandor posted:

It's a shame Microsoft hosed up so tremendously this generation that Sony could simply go "we're not an Xbone!" and instantly win everyone over, so there was nobody left to push them on their PS3 compatibility promises.

Sony made no PS3 compatibility promises, even before Microsoft shot themselves in the face.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MZ posted:

Sony made no PS3 compatibility promises, even before Microsoft shot themselves in the face.

Yeah, they kind of acknowledged that the crazy cell architecture of the PS3 was probably not actually a good idea, and doing any backwards compatibility with it would be kind of a nightmare.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

No one's posted this, right? Upcoming regulations for July 1st:

Bandai-Namco posted:

All Dagger weapons: increased critical attack power.
Dark Sword: reduced weapon efficiency.
Anri’s Straight Sword: reduced scaling effects.
Wolnir’s Holy Sword: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
Crescent Moon Sword: added intelligence scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
Morne’s Great Hammer: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
Lothric’s Holy Sword: added faith scaling and adjusted weapon efficiency accordingly.
Yorshka’s Spear: increased FP damage effects.
Scholar’s Candlestick: reduced sorcery-strengthening properties
Demon’s Fist: reduced weight.
Greatsword of Judgement: increased attack power.
Heysel’s Pick: increased intelligence scaling.
All shield-piercing weapons: added shield-piercing properties to regular attacks.
All Skills that enchant a weapon with special properties: extended length of effect.
Obscuring Ring: increased distance at which ring takes effect.
Hornet Ring: adjusted efficiency.
Black Serpent: adjusted tracking.
Lightning Stake: now requires 1 attunement slot.
Magic Barrier/Great Magic Barrier: extended length of effect.
Divine Pillars of Light: increased attack power.
White Dragon Breath: reduced stamina consumption.
All Bug Pellet items: extended length of effect.
Addressed other game balance issues and fixed other flaws

Looks good to me!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nooooo my Dark Sword

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eat poo poo dark sword!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
That's a nice list of changes. It looks like faith builds will be even better now.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

MZ posted:

If not proper backwards compatibility, they certainly promised ways to play your old games, and what they actually delivered both still doesn't really exist for most of the world and is kind of a garbage solution for the customer.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Noooo my Anri Straight Sword

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I still dont see White Dragon Breath and Black Serpent ever being useful at all though

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Those are all good changes in my view, I didn't have any real issues with weapon buff times except for Blessed Weapon but whatever. They're not touching the RawASS, that would be the one unforgivable rebalancing sin. OTOH,

Noooo my Scholar's Candlestick

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So much Int/Faith scaling adjustment and yet nothing to help the poor, poor useless Bident? You have a Faith weapon right there that could just use some improving, in a weapon class thematically appropriate to Faith users to boot, From!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I still dont see White Dragon Breath and Black Serpent ever being useful at all though

WDB is pretty good except for the fact it just whiffs if they're in your face.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Filthy Hans posted:

Those are all good changes in my view, I didn't have any real issues with weapon buff times except for Blessed Weapon but whatever. They're not touching the RawASS, that would be the one unforgivable rebalancing sin. OTOH,

Noooo my Scholar's Candlestick

I'm pretty sure they mean the buffing weapon skills. Which last, like, 15 seconds.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got some decent mileage out of WDB although nothing came close to the usefulness of boring old great soul arrows even at the end of the game, except for using the high damage spells like soul geyser on enemies who haven't triggered yet

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

quote:

Anri’s Straight Sword: reduced scaling effects.
Obscuring Ring: increased distance at which ring takes effect.

This makes me v. sad

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Trolling with the Obscuring Ring is kind of fun, that's too bad.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

RyokoTK posted:

Trolling with the Obscuring Ring is kind of fun, that's too bad.

my invisible greatbow silver knight cosplay :(

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

quote:

Scholar’s Candlestick: reduced sorcery-strengthening properties

You can't make me a spellsword assholes, I don't care what you do. :catstare: ... :negative:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
They just enjoy making people sad for Anri-related reasons

Iretep posted:

Im not him but id do the same for wasting my time with useless items.

what is an appropriate housewarming gift for when I break in to someone's game with murderous intent

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

They just enjoy making people sad for Anri-related reasons

what is an appropriate housewarming gift for when I break in to someone's game with murderous intent

Embers seem about right, tho having fun times pvp is it's own reward imo. I'd drop Siegbrau if there was a way to get more of those :)

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Humans Among Us posted:

Embers seem about right, tho having fun times pvp is it's own reward imo. I'd drop Siegbrau if there was a way to get more of those :)

I tried to drop a siegbrau but I accidentally discarded it. incredibly sad

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Ouch

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
UH OH the DS3 Aggression Mod is loose...

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/70-dark-souls-aggressive-mod/

I had so much fun in DS1 with that mod. Completely fucks up the game in so many great ways

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You linked the DS1 mod
Here's the DS3 version

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/29/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5varLsEUaI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am