Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

The main advantage of auctions is that it gets properties into play faster. Letting people say "nah I want to save my money, nobody gets it" slows down an already intolerably slow game further.

It also provides some aspect of resource management to the initial buy phase--players would rather bank money for development instead of buying garbage properties, but the alternative is letting other players get cheap property. Whatever sliver of merit it has as a mechanic is very much drowned out by the general awfulness of the rest of the game though.

The downside being that then there are auctions in the game. Which are among the shittiest of all boardgame mechanics, right alongside roll and move (also in Monopoly! Hooray!). I've never understood how people think that that improves the game, much less makes it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The real winning strategy for Monopoly is to cheat on your dice rolls so you avoid properties you don't want to land on. As a bonus when your family catches on you never have to play Monopoly again.

Got to play Baseball Highlights 2045 last week against the creator and talk about his design process. It was very enlightening and the game is definitely a labor of love.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Like in real life, the real winning strategy is to run the bank and embezzle the hell out of everything.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

malkav11 posted:

The downside being that then there are auctions in the game. Which are among the shittiest of all boardgame mechanics, right alongside roll and move (also in Monopoly! Hooray!). I've never understood how people think that that improves the game, much less makes it good.

Do you also hate all Area Control games? Area Control is just auction mechanics with a different presentation

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

malkav11 posted:

Are you high? Auctions are basically "Can you accurately figure out how much this is worth to the other players and to you, and capitalize on that?" What's wrong with that?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I don't like auctions myself really but if you think they are a lovely broken mechanic and can't understand why no one agrees with you, one reason is that you're seeing the world as it truly is and everyone else is blind or stupid, sure.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So I'm stuck playing FCM on Saturday with someone whose most complex game has been Dominion. I doubt she'll be able to handle it and we'll have to quit in the middle but oh well. There are people out there who could jump from Dominion to FCM but nothing indicates she's that person. There is definitely an 'everyone is playing this so I should be playing it too' kind of a vibe. This happened previously; I told a friend he wouldn't like the game but he insisted on trying it because 'everyone is playing it'. And of course we had to quit in the middle.

I am becoming a cranky old bitch in my old age, but dammit gaming time is precious. I'd much rather play Dominion with her, but I already promised to teach a friend FCM, and he invited her,

Hopefully the carnage will be short and we can move on quickly to Indonesia without her.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
At least you don't have a friend obsessed with Tales of the Arabian nights who only wants to play that every game day, with six players if possible, no house rules, all the way to the end, AND likes to wander off during their turn.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

No gaming is better than bad gaming.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

At least you don't have a friend obsessed with Tales of the Arabian nights who only wants to play that every game day, with six players if possible, no house rules, all the way to the end, AND likes to wander off during their turn.

Some of my friends picked it up. He keeps telling me that it's not as bad as I pretend that it is. I'm not calling his Bluff. Why can't he keep his experience generators to the visual novels he reads and play actual good games :sigh:

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Blamestorm posted:

:magical:

Arabian Nights isn't even a monthly game. I'm so sorry.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Got in a set of OR's in my 18OE game :hellyeah:

Board state at the beginning of OR 5, 16 hours into the game. Notice there are no 5 trains left, rust in piss 3 trains. I finally ended an OR with the most cash on hand which is a good sign. Also the majority of my companies are worth a good deal thanks to getting them floated to major on 5 shares instead of waiting till 6 shares like my opponents chose to.

I'm feeling pretty good here. Next set of OR's will probably determine the game as the 3 trains will rust, but hopefully I get to make an Orient Express run with my two companies that haven't yet.

Quote of the game from my pal "The sad part is it took 16 hours to learn I lost in the first hour."

:rip:

Durendal fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 30, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Durendal posted:

Quote of the game from my pal "The sad part is it took 16 hours to learn I lost in the first hour."

:stare:

I think I am ok never learning or playing any 18XXs.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Bottom Liner posted:

:stare:

I think I am ok never learning or playing any 18XXs.

18OE is its own beast.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Shadow225 posted:

Some of my friends picked it up. He keeps telling me that it's not as bad as I pretend that it is. I'm not calling his Bluff. Why can't he keep his experience generators to the visual novels he reads and play actual good games :sigh:

Arabian Nights is fine game if you play it to 8, it doesn't outstay its welcome and is especially fun if you are drunk and belligerent.

I can't loving imagine playing to 20 like the rules suggest though, cripes.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

MikeCrotch posted:

Arabian Nights is fine game if you play it to 8, it doesn't outstay its welcome and is especially fun if you are drunk and belligerent.

I can't loving imagine playing to 20 like the rules suggest though, cripes.

In practice I must admit the towel usually does get thrown in rather than going all the way through. I am also fine with AN for what it is, and it has its place. But it is not really a game - there is no real thinking involved. I think some people prefer that kind of random experience because it takes the pressure off learning rules, competing, thinking about strategies, etc. Instead you just do whatever. I think it was a belated release valve for a couple of people who evidently wanted to do something social but were actively turned off by the heavier stuff the rest of us preferred. Alcohol might have helped but honestly I'd rather just play an RPG. Or, Eldritch Horror. I know people here are a bit split on it but for me that hits the sweet spot between an experience generator and an actual game.

Or, for very non games people, there are many other light games I would prefer but a man cannot live on Coup alone.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Probably a long shot but does anyone have any resources for building custom storage boxes for board games? I am an insane person and sleeved up all my Eldritch Horror stuff and now the boxes are all puffy and won't close.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alris posted:

Probably a long shot but does anyone have any resources for building custom storage boxes for board games? I am an insane person and sleeved up all my Eldritch Horror stuff and now the boxes are all puffy and won't close.

Try BoardGameGeek. They have a whole forum section for DIY projects ranging from foamcore inserts to entire game rooms with custom made gaming tables.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Durendal posted:

18OE is its own beast.

Yeah but that quote is the same for all 18xx's, just replace 16 with 5.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Sockser posted:

The box that Once Upon a Time comes in is loving useless, so I went and made my own

Might still add a few flourishes like a pouch for the rules or some gold bits on the outside, but I'm real happy with it as-is

Holy poo poo, I have an aunt who is crafty and has all the expansions. Forwarding this to her :) She'll need a bigger box.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.

Baller Ina posted:

:magical:

Arabian Nights isn't even a monthly game. I'm so sorry.

It's simply not a game. It's an activity.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.

Durendal posted:

Got in a set of OR's in my 18OE game :hellyeah:

Board state at the beginning of OR 5, 16 hours into the game. Notice there are no 5 trains left, rust in piss 3 trains. I finally ended an OR with the most cash on hand which is a good sign. Also the majority of my companies are worth a good deal thanks to getting them floated to major on 5 shares instead of waiting till 6 shares like my opponents chose to.

I'm feeling pretty good here. Next set of OR's will probably determine the game as the 3 trains will rust, but hopefully I get to make an Orient Express run with my two companies that haven't yet.

:rip:

The whole thing, eh? That was people's learning game and not a small scenario? That doesn't bode well for them wanting to play more:(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

18OE is an activity: if you think you aren't going to do well, you can still develop your routes and have a good time watching the board develop. I played it twice and it was an incredible experience (especially with 7 people playing). The creation of the links was incredible and watching the board progress was incredibly fun. I also had an entire bottle of wine and a couple of beers. That might have helped as well.
18OE is not a game, it's an experience. Like climbing Mt. Everest.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I've got the full version of Codex on TTS and am really bad at Codex if anyone wants to play that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
"Hm, I wonder how much 18OE costs..."

*looks up price*

"No, no..."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just looked at the price, currently going for £185. Glad I got it at the bargain price of £150!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I could just pull a rutibex, that seems to be what 18XX guys do anyway.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Once you step down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lorini posted:

So I'm stuck playing FCM on Saturday with someone whose most complex game has been Dominion. I doubt she'll be able to handle it and we'll have to quit in the middle but oh well. There are people out there who could jump from Dominion to FCM but nothing indicates she's that person. There is definitely an 'everyone is playing this so I should be playing it too' kind of a vibe. This happened previously; I told a friend he wouldn't like the game but he insisted on trying it because 'everyone is playing it'. And of course we had to quit in the middle.

I am becoming a cranky old bitch in my old age, but dammit gaming time is precious. I'd much rather play Dominion with her, but I already promised to teach a friend FCM, and he invited her,

Hopefully the carnage will be short and we can move on quickly to Indonesia without her.

Eh, my partner went cribbage -> Dominion -> Mage Knight so you never know.
I don't know FCM but possibly send them a 'rules cheat sheet' printed from the geek or somewhere so they can get an idea before hand?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

18OE is not a game, it's an experience. Like climbing Mt. Everest.

Twenty people die doing it every year?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Rutibex posted:

Once you step down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

I finish making a copy of 18OE, and suddenly all the lights go out

A hooded figure appears behind me...

He pulls back the hood of his robe...

I cry out, "noooooooo...!"

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
For gently caress's sake, trigger warning for horizontal storage next time, please.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jedit posted:

Twenty people die doing it every year?
There are probably less than 20 people that actually have played 18OE in the world, so I doubt it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

You could slap sticker sheets on those comic book backers and you'd still have higher quality components than the route chits in a 18xx game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

al-azad posted:

You could slap sticker sheets on those comic book backers and you'd still have higher quality components than the route chits in a 18xx game.

Oh poo poo, that's a good cheap idea.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

There are probably less than 20 people that actually have played 18OE in the world, so I doubt it.

Off-topic, but what would your estimate of # of people who have played NT in the world be? A hundred? A few hundred?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Off-topic, but what would your estimate of # of people who have played NT in the world be? A hundred? A few hundred?
I honestly don't know: I don't have a strict number of copies of the game available, and it's impossible to say how many people don't actually have the game but have played it on Vassal.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

theroachman posted:

For gently caress's sake, trigger warning for horizontal storage next time, please.

Sorry is this a bad thing? I have so many boxes where poo poo would just go everywhere if I had them on their side...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Sorry is this a bad thing? I have so many boxes where poo poo would just go everywhere if I had them on their side...

Baggies are your friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I honestly don't know: I don't have a strict number of copies of the game available, and it's impossible to say how many people don't actually have the game but have played it on Vassal.

Yeah it's just a curiosity; what's the world-least-played game in everyone's collection...that the person has played, I guess? Like, is mine NT, GoG? Papparazzo the weird card game we played once? Maybe Nauticus?