Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love how Franky's 'walk' is mostly him just growing larger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There are some good moments in that opening, but from 1:00 to 1:20 both the song and the animation just completely give up, like they had to jam another twenty seconds in somewhere and were long past caring.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just saw the episode. Bill is a cool villain; he's believably charismatic. His power is sort of a weird combination of Don Achino's and Wapol's in theory, but he uses it more like Bege's.

The power levels were weird, as they often are in filler. It wasn't clear why Luffy and Bartomeo seemed to immediately faint when they got caught, it felt like the other Straw Hats were phoning it in when fighting Desire's group, and the way Luffy's silver marble just slowly rolled over the mooks made them seem surprisingly weak for people who had taken out a bunch of 70 million+ bounty pirates.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Are you posting anime!Pain as an example of anime-only material doing weird things to power levels, to comment on the current One Piece anime's animation quality, or for some other reason?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I would kill for the One Piece anime to have animation of that quality. It definitely has some weird in between frames, but the movement looks so fluid and does a great job of conveying superhuman speed and ability that I don't honestly care. It reminds me a lot of Looney Tunes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's a funny frame but that animation owned

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Loopy frames like that only make me appreciate that sequence even more. Like how do you visualize all that individual off-model nonsense and make it stick together so drat well?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

oddium posted:

:poo poo:

good opening, frankly
:livintrope:

Toei is a cancer to everything it touches.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Silver2195 posted:

Just saw the episode. Bill is a cool villain; he's believably charismatic. His power is sort of a weird combination of Don Achino's and Wapol's in theory, but he uses it more like Bege's.

The power levels were weird, as they often are in filler. It wasn't clear why Luffy and Bartomeo seemed to immediately faint when they got caught, it felt like the other Straw Hats were phoning it in when fighting Desire's group, and the way Luffy's silver marble just slowly rolled over the mooks made them seem surprisingly weak for people who had taken out a bunch of 70 million+ bounty pirates.

I figured the surface of that platform was coated in seastone but it's equally likely it's just lovely writing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The new theme tune has grown on me a lot, but I really wish they wouldn't insist on two and a half minute openings. There's a whole minute of crap that could be cut from it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The new theme tune has grown on me a lot, but I really wish they wouldn't insist on two and a half minute openings. There's a whole minute of crap that could be cut from it.

I think they do that so the actual episode can be shorter.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://readms.com/r/one_piece/831/3502/1

Definitely feels like the Thriller Bark of the New World.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
What an odd chapter so the thing that seduces Luffy is... fighting himself? Is it like in Red Dwarf when the Cat sees his own desires in Camille?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
What a fantastic chapter. NotSanji has a lollipop, it's a reference and no one can tell me otherwise. :allears:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That opening sounds to me like it's missing a whole instrumental track.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Whole Cake Island is absurdly nuts and I love it.

I also like all the signs of the crew getting just a little more used to all the weird stuff they run into.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So does this mean Nami gets a new pair of shoes, Luffy gets a brain, Chopper gets courage, and Carrot get a heart(?), after making their way to the Emerald Rock Candy City?

Or is this more of a Hobbit thing where Luffy, Chopper, and Carrot refuse to listen to Nami and end up getting caught by the Keebler Elves while she fights animated Creepy Crawlers and then saves them from the Keebler dungeon in giant root beer barrels?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DizzyBum posted:

IM DRIVIN A BOAT YAAAAAY :v:
I JUST loving LOVE STEERING BOATS

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I wouldn't be surprised if the rabbit knight wasn't allied with Big Mom.

Edit: Exile hiding out in the forest?

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

Green Intern posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the rabbit knight wasn't allied with Big Mom.

Edit: Exile hiding out in the forest?

The rabbit is one of the characters gathering ingredients in chapter 127.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Gyges posted:

So does this mean Nami gets a new pair of shoes, Luffy gets a brain, Chopper gets courage, and Carrot get a heart(?), after making their way to the Emerald Rock Candy City?

Or is this more of a Hobbit thing where Luffy, Chopper, and Carrot refuse to listen to Nami and end up getting caught by the Keebler Elves while she fights animated Creepy Crawlers and then saves them from the Keebler dungeon in giant root beer barrels?

Think more Alice in Wonderland, and Sanji is the Cheshire Cat.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Great chapter, but best part was Luffy's response to Nami after the giant crocodile scared her. "Is that really something you need to freak out about at this point?" while Carrot and Chopper are standing right there. :lol:

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
Haven't read the new chapter yet, but in regards to the dub.... the Funi dub is alright but I'm not fond of Colleen Clinkenbeard (Luffy). She also does the voice of Gohan in Kai that everyone hates.

It seems like the 4kids dub was a little better in some ways in regards to the voice acting. (From the little that I watched)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Loved the smug man-gator.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Sad that Toei doesn't even try with the openings now. At the same time they try to drag them out for as many episodes as humanly possible.
Everyone would benefit from Toei taking a couple of years break from OP.

We Can, huh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzDshS8rzA

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dastardly posted:

Everyone would benefit from Toei taking a couple of years break from OP.

everyone but toei

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It's worth noting that in addition to the episodes, Toei's animators also do a shitton of One Piece-related adverts. Any time I've been in Japan, Luffy is hawking 7-Eleven promos, sweets, ice cream, etc.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
As demonstrated by the movies they clearly have the staff to make things animate fine and look good. It's all about the budget or rather the lack thereof.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
The great part about a gravy train is that gravy is cheap as poo poo to make

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's almost like they should do them as separate seasons or something.

Thirty minutes later and I'm still laughing.

But seriously, this is the cheapest, most off-model garbage I can remember seeing from a big franchise that isn't out-of-context stills. I'm sure I've seen worse in my lifetime, but it's been so long that any other contenders have fallen out of my brain.

I want to see literal Clutch Cargo still images with real mouths moving edited over the characters' when they speak. I think it'd be an improvement at this point.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Good to see that our Cotton Candy Lover Chopper is finally in his element. I can imagine his bounty will skyrocket after the massive property damage he inflicts in this arc.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Now, now, perfectly symmetrical fighting never solves anything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I understand that a lot of bad art in anime is due to schedule crunch, but....you only need to do an OP once. You can take your time!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waffleman_ posted:

I understand that a lot of bad art in anime is due to schedule crunch, but....you only need to do an OP once. You can take your time!

if they spend less money than they do on an actual episode on the OP thats 2 minutes and 15 seconds of new animation they dont have to draw like 50 times. if anything it'll be cheaper and longer next time!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And no ED means you only have to license one song, so it's even CHEAPER!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!
Luffy was uncharacteristically talkative and insightful in this chapter.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!
Sorry if I shocked all of ya'll into silence.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I saw this today: http://imgur.com/a/NLrJM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is incredibly rad